• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 25-31 | Gather Around The FGW Family Tree

Busaiku

I doubt anyone at Pokemon actually came up with the idea behind the song.
It is to promote a specific event, so most likely a tourism board.

Well, I guess Pokemon staff would be part of that committee.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1) Just because there's no tournament this weekend doesn't mean I'm concentrating extra hard on this.
2) You, enzo, and the others are blowing the negatives of a Community section move out of proportion too.
I'm not. The most important thing here is what benefit does the community section offer the community? Karst threw that out there, you didn't respond. I can only thing of negatives. I mean, yeah you're doing a decent job of describing reasons why parts of this thread will work in a community format, but you're not offering any meaningful positives, only downplaying losing stuff like the weekly spotlight. Nobody checks OPs of community threads, especially if they're edited. They wouldn't work as single posts either, and as a result wouldn't work in the community format at all. I also don't understand stuff like this pseudo-evaluation of trends without factoring in what actually happened in those weeks to try and prove a point:

Well let's see the numbers currently, then.

Views: 95,483

Now if we go back in the previous weeks...

Posts.....Views (backwards chronological order)
1,544 / 88,722
1,490 / 91,067
2,241 / 120,120
3,378 / 160,004
2,146 / 100,501
2,495 / 119,603
1,169 / 66,660
2,101 / 101,366
3,353 / 134,223
2,362 / 122,891

If anything, we're already getting less traffic on average.

If you can describe pros that the community thread would offer that vastly outweigh losing these benefits other members of this community keep on citing, I'm sure more people would be inclined to go pro-community as well. Repeating that stuff works in both formats doesn't help. Like I said, I'm all for a community thread as it saves me hours out of my week, but I primarily see negatives to varying degrees.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I doubt anyone at Pokemon actually came up with the idea behind the song.
It is to promote a specific event, so most likely a tourism board.

Well, I guess Pokemon staff would be part of that committee.

Nintendo has been going for more soul inducing music recently, they better keep it up. Super Mario for the Wii U has an immaculate soundtrack.

that's the kind of post you pm, enzo

whatever happened to 16 and pig of the hut regarding big e's tourneys? they still banned? that'd be really unfortunate

i'm pretty sure i don't care about arc revo at all, even though i feel i should for some reason

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
that's the kind of post you pm, enzo

whatever happened to 16 and pig of the hut regarding big e's tourneys? they still banned? that'd be really unfortunate

i'm pretty sure i don't care about arc revo at all, even though i feel i should for some reason
Yeah, you're right.

DryEyeRelief, check your PMs in a second.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

2an4d.png

Ohhh... wait, what the hell did I just watch?!?!

Nice avatar, Astarte. Schierke is a real likable character.
I feel like I've just about packed up my traditional fighting game ways and got remarried to Smash again. Forgot how much fun it is to just lab up some new shit or practice tech skill and with Xrd being an unknown release date wise, there's not much else on the mind for the near future.
Can't say I'm all that excited about current gen yet. Smash and MK8 are going to be great, but they're on Wii U and Nintendo hardware continues to disappoint me more and more each generation. Bloodborne will literally be the second coming of Christ, but the PS4 is expensive and it doesn't play PS3 games.
repost

the skull girls button mechanics are interesting. I like the punch->kick, low - high flow of comboes, which allow you to make custom comboes on the fly.

i cant believe i didnt pick that up before, and it honestly feels good. i wonder how other fighting games would be like if they implement that
I can tell you what KOF would be like. It'd be a lot more accessible for combo newbs like me.
The only thing I don't like about it is the character-specific launchers. I feel like MvC3 inputs were a step forward from MvC2, and Skullgirls is frustratingly the only 8 button fighter around. Yeah, technically it's 6, but everyone uses 8. Even Duckator hotkeys his assists. I wouldn't mind Skullgirls 2 swapping to MvC3 inputs to improve the learning curve.
Not everyone. If you are a duo player you can skate by with seven. :p

It still mystifies me that SG is the one game that allows me to cross into 80 and 90 hit (without hitting IPS) territory at will considering all the buttons. I guess it's a testament to how well thought out the hitstun, charge times and motion inputs are.

I'm not. The most important thing here is what benefit does the community section offer the community? Karst threw that out there, you didn't respond. I can only thing of negatives. I mean, yeah you're doing a decent job of describing reasons why parts of this thread will work in a community format, but you're not offering any meaningful positives, only downplaying losing stuff like the weekly spotlight. Nobody checks OPs of community threads, especially if they're edited. They wouldn't work as single posts either, and as a result wouldn't work in the community format at all. I also don't understand stuff like this pseudo-evaluation of trends without factoring in what actually happened in those weeks to try and prove a point:

If you can describe pros that the community thread would offer that vastly outweigh losing these benefits other members of this community keep on citing, I'm sure more people would be inclined to go pro-community as well. Repeating that stuff works in both formats doesn't help. Like I said, I'm all for a community thread as it saves me hours out of my week, but I primarily see negatives to varying degrees.

It doesn't offer a direct pro, aside from laxer moderation. But Shouta barely moderates this thread as it is, so *shrug*

And you could just direct people to the OP if you're worried about someone not reading changes, like other active threads do in the "graveyard." You could stil edit the OP to have player spotlights each week. You could still do all the stuff you want. Going into Community wouldn't mean you lose everything.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It doesn't offer a direct pro, aside from laxer moderation. But Shouta barely moderates this thread as it is, so *shrug*

And you could just direct people to the OP if you're worried about someone not reading changes, like other active threads do in the "graveyard." You could stil edit the OP to have player spotlights each week. You could still do all the stuff you want. Going into Community wouldn't mean you lose everything.
All of these things you could to but they'd be hopelessly ineffective. I don't think a single person here would check those edits, significant or not.

smurfx

get some go again
two of my fav threads died when they moved to community. there's no way in hell i want this thread to move there. lets stop talking about this nonsense please.

Astarte

Nice avatar, Astarte. Schierke is a real likable character.

Can't say I'm all that excited about current gen yet. Smash and MK8 are going to be great, but they're on Wii U and Nintendo hardware continues to disappoint me more and more each generation. Bloodborne will literally be the second coming of Christ, but the PS4 is expensive and it doesn't play PS3 games.

See, I knew you had amazing taste. If Miura grimdarks Schierke into an awful death I swear no idol will be left unturned.
I'm in the same boat with the current generation, at least moreso with Xbone and PS4. Nothing excites me at the moment except MGSV and even then I have no hope in Kojima actually making a great game.

Tik-Tok

Why do you never use Subscriptions?

Because there's also no cons?

And you know this, how?

Because that's too much of am investment. Same as committing to check shit if it's in Community,

There's many cons.

He knows it from anecdotal evidence which I am now providing.

Thores

Reading this and the last thread seems to make it apparent that Professor Beef is the only person arguing in favor of a move to Community, with enzo_gt also being slightly in favor (though that could have been a joke). Hopefully this doesn't come to pass since the vast majority wants the opposite to happen, including myself.

Tik-Tok

I think we should stop this discussion immediately, lest we draw further attention to ourselves.

I like the taste of burnt cheese.

Shit that's not helping.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
And you know this, how?
I used to bother with updating community OTs, in Gaming and OT.

For a long time, in the Marvel OT I used to update OP with teams/characters that won majors and statistics of the sort, even with links to the archives at the specific point at which Marvel started. I also used to update the hip-hop thread when GAFers would get into a rap battles or with links to their soundclouds/bandcamps.

I'm saying it's an unrealistic expectation, that's all. People have even said here that they wouldn't check for these threads period in that format, I don't know about them checking OP if they do. A lot of people in the past have said they only check OP once when it's posted, which is probably one time more than they'd ever check a community OT.

Xevren

Do any other weekly type of threads even exist on this board? I have no problems with it going to community I'm just curious. Feel like the only reason it's not in community is because we make it a weekly thread instead of a monthly type of thing instead.

Loona

These threads focus too much on themselves and Capcom FGC drama and/or memes, with a huge noise-to-signal ratio that makes their usefulness and weekly frequency questionable.
Also, this week's OP ignores the KoF anniversary and the thread starter is interviewing himself.

These things, to me, are strong enough reasons to keep this stuff in Community.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
These threads focus too much on themselves and Capcom FGC drama and/or memes, with a huge noise-to-signal ratio that makes their usefulness and weekly frequency questionable.
Also, this week's OP ignores the KoF anniversary and the thread starter is interviewing himself.

Tell me more about this KoF Anniversary. Is there a stream? An event? I don't generally put anniversaries in the OP.

I spent all the free time I had this week to work on this thread looking for information on the Arc Cup. More effort put into that then the entire rest of the thread, I'll have you know.

Tik-Tok

Golden Boy and Berserk? Yams you good in my book.
Let's please not move to community, I don't touch any part of that place that isn't buy/sell.
I rented Golden Boy on VHS in like 1997. Shit was gadlike.
I also rented some pretty bad Fighting Game animes around that time. Street Fighter the animated movie is some good shit though.

Phew. Repaired my HRAP3. Whoever decided that you should need a socket wrench to access your buttons in an arcade stick had some weird engineering priorities.

Anyway, I'm gonna be on Ultra PC if anybody wants to play.

God's Beard on Steam.

Nothing really happened. There's a poll on TYM that had overwhelming support for us but they never said anything. I don't think they care, we're just done. Oh well, plenty of great tournaments to attend.

Nothing really happened. There's a poll on TYM that had overwhelming support for us but they never said anything. I don't think they care, we're just done. Oh well, plenty of great tournaments to attend.

What's the general consensus on Lobo? I was thinking about learning how to use him.

If you want stuff in the OP, tell Enzo. The man can't research it all alone. Also, he was nominated to be interviewed next.

What difference would it make, don't only the same dozen people post in these threads? I'm serious no kappa
We get new people all the time. Yams and Cain are pretty recent additions to the regulars here.

Loona

Tell me more about this KoF Anniversary. Is there a stream? An event? I don't generally put anniversaries in the OP.

Focusing on streams is pretty dumb IMO when a game's popularity extends past a single country or continent - there are things called time zones that mean that people following something like EVO live have to be on their way to work by the time it ends, and that's flippin' EVO.
It's not reasonable to expect live streams to be the standard of game activity around the world when schedules are impractical for half of it.

Something like a link to the topic Silky created some days ago would have been sufficient (on my phone, so tricky to link now).

What's the general consensus on Lobo? I was thinking about learning how to use him.

He's pretty good. Was basically redesigned in the final big patch last year and is now at least mid tier. Best thing about him is insane damage. He can do like 60% combos. He's a footsies character. He's good at jump range with a long range overhead/low mixup, one of the best dashes in the game and his trait shot gun blasts are super good. Great command grab too.

Lemstar

I spent all the free time I had this week to work on this thread looking for information on the Arc Cup. More effort put into that then the entire rest of the thread, I'll have you know.
translated brackets for all games + LCQ qualified players (edit: original japanese brackets)
15v15 BBCP east vs west team tournament the day after ArcRevo; lineup

I think this is the stream link for Nico: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv189803883

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Focusing on streams is pretty dumb IMO when a game's popularity extends past a single country or continent - there are things called time zones that mean that people following something like EVO live have to be on their way to work by the time it ends, and that's flippin' EVO.
It's not reasonable to expect live streams to be the standard of game activity around the world when schedules are impractical for half of it.

Something like a link to the topic Silky created some days ago would have been sufficient (on my phone, so tricky to link now).
I'd just like to note that it's not just American streams we post here. In fact, there's a major tournament this weekend going on in Australia that is always exciting. If it's big, we try to feature it, no matter where it is, and provide local and domestic timezones for when the tournament starts for international GAFers. Don't get me started on all the Republic of Fighters I've posted that nobody cared about lol

Additionally, I can only do so much work. When people tell me something needs to be in OP, I add it, because I pretty much only get time to scan SRK's tournament subforum (which I can't even really say is Capcom-bias anymore) and add what seems to be bubbling the most (more than 1 reply). We also cover releases, but I'm open to suggestions for other things to add. Keeping track of all this stuff is much more work than it looks to be, believe me.

I guess I'll just link this post, thanks. Was mainly looking for schedules and stuff, but yeah, stream is the biggest concern.

Top Bottom