• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | DaiGOAT

Mr. X

The greater "FGC" still thinks Skullgirls is the same game as it was 3 years ago and it's near impossible to get them to give it a second look.

Anne

I think Viscant is conflating "SF only FGC" with "stream monster mob mentality". That's two separate issues to talk about he starts to talk about the former and then goes into the latter.

Firsthand experience tells me "SF only FGC" is not just a thing with stream monsters. Players who attend events and have some influence over whatever sphere they reside in are openly hostile to other games on a regular basis. Literally everywhere I go, if it's not SF only, it exists as an attachment to the SF4 scene of the area. Sometimes this is fine, sometimes it is not.

I don't play it, but SG is a pretty good game now with the best support you can ask for. The fact that SG players basically get laughed out of anime or are like creatures that we observe for our own amusement is pretty lame.

Edit: At the end of the day, TSB and places like that still give SG a place btw. Doesn't help the attitude at all.

Dahbomb

I challenge the notion that stream monsters killed sfxt. Capcom killed it tbh by making a game that wasn't good and one that couldn't distinguish itself from sf4 enough to be worth playing it with.
Original SFxT was not a good game but the most recent version of it is actually a legitimately good game. Thing is that no one gave the game a reasonable shot even after the patch fixes because the mob mentality sunk in.

Firsthand experience tells me "SF only FGC" is not just a thing with stream monsters. Players who attend events and have some influence over whatever sphere they reside in are openly hostile to other games on a regular basis. Literally everywhere I go, if it's not SF only, it exists as an attachment to the SF4 scene of the area. Sometimes this is fine, sometimes it is not.
Exactly which is why I don't like Viscant conflating the two when they are two separate issues.

fader

The greater "FGC" still thinks Skullgirls is the same game as it was 3 years ago and it's near impossible to get them to give it a second look.

same problem with SFxT. People still clutch on to that initial reaction to it no matter how better they made the game with the new update.

Shackzam

I challenge the notion that stream monsters killed sfxt. Capcom killed it tbh by making a game that wasn't good and one that couldn't distinguish itself from sf4 enough to be worth playing it with.

I'm not going to say that the stream monster solely killed the game, but it was a big part of the mentality against it. SFxT wasn't a bad game, in fact it was pretty damn fun to play when you understood the neutral game. The only thing that was bad about it was the vanilla version and the vanilla assist gems.

Though in the context of stream monster mob mentality they only know of two games... SF and Marvel so I guess in their eyes Marvel is dead compared to SF.

I think that's what he's getting at. FGC has always been kinda separate but the advent of stream monsters and pretty much the growth of the internet its gotten to the point of actually being able to kill off games like SFxT.

Anne

They're two seperate issues that have something to do with each other. The most immediately noticeable effect is people who are new coming around looking for games latch onto SF4 pretty heavily as the only legitimate way to get into this scene. Seen it happen a million times where new players show up and ask what I play, and when I answer Persona they immediately say "that dumb ass anime game with the one button combos?"

Where do you think they heard that at?

Dahbomb

Seen it happen a million times where new players show up and ask what I play, and when I answer Persona they immediately say "that dumb ass anime game with the one button combos?"
LMAO!

I'm still kind of glad SFxTK crashed and burned.
Me too. Capcom deserved to eat the humble pie.

Mr. X

Current "FGC" is so Capcom biased we wish to see top players of other games play SF4/SF5 and some go as far as to doubt their skill/talent if they don't play it or aren't as good at it as their other game.

Lord have mercy on their social media accounts if they mention they don't enjoy it or call it bad.

Kimosabae

Banned
Vsicant's "Stream Culture killed SFxT" theory is a great example of a selective bias and a theorist clutching to an elegant idea, even when he's fashioned and articulated the very arguments that destroy it. You can't state false perception killed SFxT and is also killing Marvel - and then (spitefully) state that it isn't killing Marvel in nearly the same breath. Like the newer subject (Marvel) is somehow resistant to the culture's poison that you fabricated, inexplicably.

Which is it? Is a game's death via some "faux"-cyber-moral outrage a thing or isn't it?

Infinite

Original SFxT was not a good game but the most recent version of it is actually a legitimately good game. Thing is that no one gave the game a reasonable shot even after the patch fixes because the mob mentality sunk in.
Yeah I don't agree with that. I don't think people found the game worth playing because it wasn't really that dissimilar to sf4 to the point where people cared enough to practice both.

Current "FGC" is so Capcom biased we wish to see top players of other games play SF4/SF5 and some go as far as to doubt their skill/talent if they don't play it or aren't as good at it as their other game.

Lord have mercy on their social media accounts if they mention they don't enjoy it or call it bad.

And don't players dare drop SF4 to play another game either, that's literally running away from competition.

Dahbomb

I think the biggest example of this is Perfect Legend not being included in various top 10-15 greatest overall fighting game players. Guy wins EVO for two completely different type of games (with one back to back win) yet people who have not even won a single EVO get placed over him at times because they won one major of one game...

Vsicant's "Stream Culture killed SFxT" theory is a great example of a selective bias and a theorist clutching to an elegant idea, even when he's fashioned and articulated the very arguments that destroy it. You can't state false perception killed SFxT and is also killing Marvel - and then (spitefully) state that it isn't killing Marvel in nearly the same breath. Like the newer subject is somehow resistant to the culture's poison that you fabricated.

Which is it? Is a game's death via cyber-moral outrage a thing or isn't it?
False perception isn't doing either game any favors. It's not as bad as it was for SFxT of course.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
SFXT was only a few things from being a real badass game. For one the oily filter and stupid amounts of ugly color customizations.

Sheroking

I mean, I can't really blame the FGC for being Capcom biased when I am Capcom biased. I don't watch much anime, Smash or 3D because I don't enjoy watching those things. I expect the largest cross-section of viewers feels similarly.

What I don't get is why you have to sit in twitch chat, bitching about other games and tearing down other people's scenes. I've never enjoyed an MK game and I can tell just by looking at it that I wouldn't enjoy MKX, but I hope it's a lasting success for those who do.

Mr. X

I think the biggest example of this is Perfect Legend not being included in various top 10-15 greatest overall fighting game players. Guy wins EVO for two completely different type of games (with one back to back win) yet people who have not even won a single EVO get placed over him at times because they won one major of one game...

I'm still amazed at the Sonic Fox getting snubbed for the EVO Rising Star award. His first EVO and he won Injustice (EVO game), DoA and MK9 and got Top 8 SG (side games). 16 years old.

Dahbomb

I'm still amazed at the Sonic Fox getting snubbed for the EVO 2014 Rising Star award. His first EVO and he won Injustice (EVO game), DoA and MK9 and got Top 8 SG (side games).
True although you could argue that "rising star" wouldn't really go to someone who has won EVO... you are already a STAR at that point. That award seemed like it was reserved for someone who might have potential to win something big in the future.

Sonic Fox IMO is top 10 best overall fighting game player at the moment. His talent is immense.

Shackzam

They're two seperate issues that have something to do with each other. The most immediately noticeable effect is people who are new coming around looking for games latch onto SF4 pretty heavily as the only legitimate way to get into this scene. Seen it happen a million times where new players show up and ask what I play, and when I answer Persona they immediately say "that dumb ass anime game with the one button combos?"

Where do you think they heard that at?

I need to play more Persona to brush up and learn shit for Combo Breaker. Would mind playing some sets anytime? I wanna get bodied.

That goes out to anyone wanting to play some Street Fighter and MKX because I'll be competing in those to.

True although you could argue that "rising star" wouldn't really go to someone who has won EVO... you are already a STAR at that point.

hes like younger than 18, came from nowhere, started playing fighting games recently and won EVO.
pretty much a rising star lol.

Coach Steve getting the award is like Chris G getting it because prior to like 2010-11 nobody heard of "chris g"

Anne

I need to play more Persona to brush up and learn shit for Combo Breaker. Would mind playing some sets anytime? I wanna get bodied.

That goes out to anyone wanting to play some Street Fighter and MKX because I'll be competing in those to.

If the connection is fine then yeah I don't mind.

fader

False perception isn't doing either game any favors. It's not as bad as it was for SFxT of course.

also marvel has a lot more hardcore players who consistently play the game where SFxT did not have that benefit of a large hardcore since it was a new franchise. Its far from being "dead" but it's definitely at a lower stature than 2 years ago.

the eff gee cee is too much. just enjoy fighting games meng

Miek Russ?

Mr. X

True although you could argue that "rising star" wouldn't really go to someone who has won EVO... you are already a STAR at that point.

Coach Steve won the Rising Star award and he's been playing FGs for a long ass time but "new to Marvel".

FGW | This Netkode Is An Injustice

Fighting games need to do more beta testing. 1000s of people playing the actual game. Your typical office testing isn't really playtesting, it's making sure the game will pass console cert and bigger, more horrible bugs are gone.

This is really good

Dahbomb

hes like younger than 18, came from nowhere, started playing fighting games recently and won EVO.
pretty much a rising star lol.

Coach Steve getting the award is like Chris G getting it because prior to like 2010-11 nobody heard of "chris g"
I am saying Sonic Fox already went beyond "rising star" status into "super star" status. Like that award is clearly designated for someone who didn't win an EVO title.

Now if Sonic Fox got a bunch of top 8s and didn't win an EVO then that was his title easy but he went on ahead and won EVO and basically ended up being OVER QUALIFIED for the title.

I know this sounds dumb but that's just how it is.

Vice

I don't play it, but SG is a pretty good game now with the best support you can ask for. The fact that SG players basically get laughed out of anime or are like creatures that we observe for our own amusement is pretty lame.

Edit: At the end of the day, TSB and places like that still give SG a place btw. Doesn't help the attitude at all.

It extends to NRS games too. I remember Ed Boon getting boo'd at Evo last year when he was making some MKX announcement.

Xtyle

104534n8z8zsgsotbocyov.jpg

Aww

After the tourney...

rocK`

Banned
I'm still kind of glad SFxTK crashed and burned.

I don't get this line of thinking. You're glad capcom lost a bet on a fighting game? Forcing them to double down on usf4 and pray sf5 goes well, all the while making them hesitant to making another vs series and not experimenting?

Yeah huge win there bros.

Top Bottom