• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | DaiGOAT

Horseress

I can only go by the opinions of people I trust who have played the game in its current state. If they some how release a net code saving patch day one trust me I'll be first in line singing praises.

I hope your right man, just doesn't seem to be the case.

Yeah I know, I'm trying to be optimistic but it's not working :lol

To be fair, AAA games don't really care about anything that doesn't look good in a screenshot or on a youtube video. In a lot of ways it's a miracle NRS even makes 60fps games.

alstein

With so few players, and people on wireless, a mixed bag is inevitable.

Art's netcode being godlike for US standards prob helps him.

.la1n

There is supposed to be a patch to nerf certain people.

Really? That would be hilarious. Where'd you hear that?

With so few players, and people on wireless, a mixed bag is inevitable.

Art's netcode being godlike for US standards prob helps him.

Netcode has nothing to do with godlike internet connections. It has to do with making it so even with less than ideal pings you can have stable matches. You don't need google fiber to have good online matches if the netcode is adequate. It's about your ping, not neccesarily your up and down speeds.

Malice215

FGW | Daigo Wins, Flawless Victory
FGW | Bet on Erron Black
FGW | Copped MKX Bout A Week Ago, Week Ago
FGW | What's All This BZZZZZZ About

Ask for MKX netcode, I've heard multiple people say it feels the same as Injustice playing against people who aren't that far away. I'm sure most will be able to tolerate it, but I wasn't expecting any dramatic improvements anyway, especially when they've made 0 mention about it.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
To be honest if it's on the same level as SFIV I'll be shocked. Because, at the moment I expect Injustice tier shit.

Sad they did not use rollback netcode like K.I. :( Why dev on these next gen consoles when you gonna still use the old shitty delay based netcode.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

Netcode has nothing to do with godlike internet connections. It has to do with making it so even with less than ideal pings you can have stable matches. You don't need google fiber to have good online matches if the netcode is adequate. It's about your ping, not neccesarily your up and down speeds.

Aris was talking about it.

Rhapsody

Banned
For those that use Dolphin, how do you get TvC's widescreen format to work? Been trying to mess with the settings but it's still just stretched. I'm on version 4.0.652 at the moment since that was the version I used for Melee. I remember hearing that widescreen format wasn't supported, but I think I remember seeing videos where it was emulated in widescreen.

Just wondering if I'm missing a certain option or it can only be done on a later Dolphin version.

gutabo

I'm about 80% done writing an artice about what happened with JDCR here in Peru. I don't really know if it matters anymore. Should I finish it, GAF?

EDIT: "article"... more like long ass post, and it's in english.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm about 80% done writing an artice about what happened with JDCR here in Peru. I don't really know if it matters anymore. Should I finish it, GAF?

Don't let one experience and or person/group ruin Peru's reputation. If some things need to be aired out, air it out.

they nerfed subzero day 1 in mk9 and a few others

edit
I think aquaman got nerfed to on day 1 as well

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Erron Black has a combo where he pushes you to the corner and if you get there you are screwed. Sonicfox was smart enough to figure this out before the game is released but NRS caught it and will apparently nerf it. So says the great Aris of Tekkenland.

I don't care about the drama at all, but I will read the post because I care about what you have to say, gutabo!

.la1n

I may regret asking but how are players able to spend two days with a game and find broken shit that the entirety of QA and developers didn't pick up on in the course of development of the game?

does anyone remember the SFxT grand finals where it was Ricky Ortiz and another player, and they played like 2 or 3 rounds, said fuck it and decided to not finish out the game cause it was a reset?

was it ceo or da beech?

Dahbomb

I may regret asking but how are players able to spend two days with a game and find broken shit that the entirety of QA and developers didn't pick up on in the course of development of the game?
Some players have a knack for this type of stuff.

Tokido is a great example. He doesn't even play Marvel that much (compared to Americans) but he played with Vergil/Strider for like a day in the pre-release phase and said that they are the best of the newcomers (with Vergil being insane).

These players can just find the cheap stuff real quick. It's hard to explain but it's not that uncommon.

Another example although not related to fighting games but to other games is Kripparian. Whether it's Diablo, Path of Exile, Warcraft, Hearthstone... no matter the game he finds the cheap/broken stuff fast because his theory craft is just that strong. Like for example... Blizzard would put out a new item for these games and Kripp would take one look at it and say "yup that's going to be broken" and he ends up being right like 90% of the time. Now you ask "well how can Kripp do that without even playing the game while Blizzard and their QA didn't pick up on it?"

According to Blizzard, most of their concern when coming up with something new is more geared towards how it plays, functions and how fun it is. Number tweaking is easy for them and comes later... they let the community figure it out and then tweak accordingly. I play tested a bunch of PTRs for Diablo 3 and gave a bunch of feedback (what's broken and what isn't) and a lot of it went through but initially when making new stuff they are more concerned with "how does it feel?" and "is it fun?" rather than "is this 10% too strong or 5% too strong?"

is it really broken shit? its really to early to say. Kung Lao was nerfed super hard but looking at it back then, the real person that should of been nerfed day 1 was kabal.

Nobody really knows what broken shit is yet in MKX. Sonicfox is just better than most players.

1) Not every tester can understand every character on a deep level, or have every single thing occur to him/her.
2) "Too good" isn't always easy to contextualize with a new game.
3) Some people are just incredible at finding stuff others aren't.

Dahbomb

Also what S-Kill said about making fighting games and balance holds true here.

When you are making a game it's like making a ship only you are making it from the inside out, one piece at a time. You don't get the full picture until you complete and you don't know what you will end up with when you finish it. So you won't know what will sink the ship until you complete it.

So let's say you make a character that is capable of doing 40% damage in a combo. For most 1v1 fighters that is probably too much damage and your instinct would be to tone that damage. Well what if there are a bunch of other characters who can also do 40% damage in the game? Suddenly that other character with the 40% damage doesn't seem that strong all of a sudden and if you changed the damage before even completing the game then you would have an under tuned character on your hand.

kirblar

Some players have a knack for this type of stuff.

Tokido is a great example. He doesn't even play Marvel that much (compared to Americans) but he played with Vergil/Strider for like a day in the pre-release phase and said that they are the best of the newcomers (with Vergil being insane).

These players can just find the cheap stuff real quick. It's hard to explain but it's not that uncommon.

Another example although not related to fighting games but to other games is Kripparian. Whether it's Diablo, Path of Exile, Warcraft, Hearthstone... no matter the game he finds the cheap/broken stuff fast because his theory craft is just that strong. Like for example... Blizzard would put out a new item for these games and Kripp would take one look at it and say "yup that's going to be broken" and he ends up being right like 90% of the time. Now you ask "well how can Kripp do that without even playing the game while Blizzard and their QA didn't pick up on it?"

According to Blizzard, most of their concern when coming up with something new is more geared towards how it plays, functions and how fun it is. Number tweaking is easy for them and comes later... they let the community figure it out and then tweak accordingly. I play tested a bunch of PTRs for Diablo 3 and gave a bunch of feedback (what's broken and what isn't) and a lot of it went through but initially when making new stuff they are more concerned with "how does it feel?" and "is it fun?" rather than "is this 10% too strong or 5% too strong?"
Yeah, this part of it is definitely something that can be learned, but not taught, because seeing the sum total of the parts becomes a matter of straight-up intuition. It's an entirely different skillset from the overall creative design that goes into skills/mechanics. (You can definitely have both, however, and people who have both usually end up being pretty tremendous.)

Anne

A lot of finding busted stuff comes from years of finding busted stuff. Like, after years of messing with ASW engines at a super in depth level, we just kind of know where to look to find busted stuff. Same with Capcom engines, hence us breaking SF4 in hours every time they update it.

We just know what to look for and have an inclination to dig into the rabbit hole. Testers and QA are worried about bugs and other things that are easier to see, not "what happens if this hitbox interacts frame perfect on their wake up on this side" like we did with unblockables.

Xevren

is it really broken shit? its really to early to say. Kung Lao was nerfed super hard but looking at it back then, the real person that should of been nerfed day 1 was kabal.

Nobody really knows what broken shit is yet in MKX. Sonicfox is just better than most players.

I would say that the Jacqui infinite was broken. Though it sounds like its already fixed lol

GeoNeo

I disagree.
LI Joe talking about how a few characters (example Liu Kang) can do block string fireball dash cancel the fireball into run into another block string. //Kreygasm

Really liking how fast this game looks.

Capcom need to speed up grandpa fighter 5.

Slaythe

Any European with american version of MKX on ps4 ?

With that shitty region lock I don't think i'll ever be able to play online.

I got wrecked. it was a wake up call I think. I won my last two RAWs and my head got too big.

I'm not really sure of where Shidosha ranks on the American VF hierarchy, but I would imagine he's one of the best. Didn't he do great at the Sega event in LA?

I wouldn't feel to bad about it

Top Bottom