• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 6-12 | DaiGOAT

Tizoc

It's that time once again...
qCu2Z5f.jpg

Galow, Maahk uv da wooorves
Also World Heroes Perfect, Daraku Tenshi, Marvel Super Heroes, Last Blade 2, KoF 95
...off the top of my head :V

;__;

Some of us like Ken and Chun ;_;

EDIT: Found it. Damn this Ken is getting bodied.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFDZ3wSmmY4

To actually be alive in the West outside of Rotanibor's weekly (<3): VSav.
To be a Big Thing in the West: KOF, 3S.

The Ken Yun and ChunLi fatigue is eternal mang....

Kimosabae

Banned
The runback for everyone was the right call. Like it or not.

Pretty much. You can't express wanting money, organization and standards in one breath and then bitch and moan once a call like this is made. The response was so predictably petulant and guttural. Even from event organizers! This was probably the most important event decision to be made in a long time because it makes the standards more defined.

Sucks for Kaz, but I don't think he would have done much better than he had anyways.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The response was so predictably petulant and guttural.

And correct. It's one thing to halt and redo a match in progress, but it's amateur hour to erase prior matches from the record book.

In any case, the CPT group have now shown that they can't run a 16-man bracket properly (losers bracket mix-up from last CapCup) and can't check that they're even running the right version of the game. Sure are some high standards on display.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't understand that mentality coming from an event organizer. What's more important to you? Having an event simply run on time with minimal issues, or the integrity of the results? I know that's not an easy question to answer; but the latter should be the priority, every time, without question. Especially with this much corporate money involved.

The tournament exists for the results. There's nothing "amateurish" about the decision, because the precedent isn't grassroots. It was an unprecedented decision, not amateurish.

Tizoc you should follow Livid, the guy running the livid.basgrospoing.fr blog. He posts and RT a lot of cool arts on twitter: https://twitter.com/lividvelvet

It's that time once again...
qCu2Z5f.jpg

Guilty Gear Accent Core (not +R). Best game ever made, best characters, best system.
That or Capcom vs SNK 2 because that's 1000 times better than SF4 despite the bugs and shit tiers. That music.

https://youtu.be/dMq8koilKlA

THAT MUSIC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TzBF9faGFo

Sixfortyfive

I don't understand that mentality coming from an event organizer. What's more important to you? Having an event simply run on time with minimal issues, or the integrity of the results? I know that's not an easy question to answer; but the latter should be the priority, every time, without question. Especially with this much corporate money involved.

The tournament exists for the results.
I don't think it's easy to say which action has more integrity.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't think it's easy to say which action has more integrity.

It is, if you simply follow the standards that have been set. The results of CPT events depend(ed) upon Ultra SSF4 ver. 1.04. The wrong version was being played for several matches. This forced a decision from a CPT Organizer which was declared by the CPT Rulebook. Do the matches again.

Simple. The End. That's why standards exist.

The only thing that makes it grey for some people is the amount of hype surrounding the prior results, but it isn't grey at all. That's why this is so important.

mbpm1

US and EU are so far behind Asia... :(

I know the blowout of everybody was disappointing with NCR, but tbh more than a few favorites got their shit kicked in and got sent to loser's and Fuudo got eliminated.

Sure, JP won the runback, but I think that reflects their willingness to study more than a fundamental difference in skill level at this point. This tournament is a good sign for the US (can't speak for Hypespotting cos I didn't see it).

Oh, and Smug seriously needs to learn something for focus backdash on wakeup, he's been free to that now for sometime but nobody really used it.

BadWolf

Man this weekend was so great, so many amazing matches and all three tournaments were won by the people I was rooting for:

IGT 2015 - Misterio (KOFXIII, best grand final of this weekened)
HypeSpotting - Mago (USF4, Yang finally makes a mark)
NCR - Daigo (USF4, the beast finally wins a US major again)

As for which games I would like to see return to being more active, it would probably be Virtua Fighter 5FS and KOFXIII.

It feels like there is so much more to learn and explore at high level for XIII and FS never really took off to begin with unfortunately, it's still the most hype 3D fighter imo (and has the best animation).

Sixfortyfive

The only thing that makes it grey for some people is the amount of hype surrounding the prior results, but it isn't grey at all.

Or things like how mentally taxing and deflating it is to have to replay a match that you barely won.

There is more to competition than just the rules of the game itself.

Bizazedo

I know the blowout of everybody was disappointing with NCR, but tbh more than a few favorites got their shit kicked in and got sent to loser's and Fuudo got eliminated.

Sure, JP won the runback, but I think that reflects their willingness to study more than a fundamental difference in skill level at this point. This tournament is a good sign for the US (can't speak for Hypespotting cos I didn't see it).

Oh, and Smug seriously needs to learn something for focus backdash on wakeup, he's been free to that now for sometime but nobody really used it.

Yeah, it feels like JPN study more than the US fighters. Or adapt quicker, whatever excuse y'want to use.

NorCal Regionals @NorcalRegionals · 23m 23 minutes ago
Console was updated to 1.04 but an Ultra disc was used by accident which caused the game to run 1.00. We're deeply sorry for the mistake.

So Kaz was rocking ver 1.00 Yun? LOL.

The runback for everyone was the right call. Like it or not.

I disagree when someone fucks up it's always on them to take responsibility and not others. In this situation it should be norcal regional taking the hit and not the players.

You don't get do overs in life, nba and nfl refs fuck up all the time and they have to deal with the criticism and guilt afterwards.

I know Capcom being in norcal so they have a pretty good relationship but NCR fucked up and got a free pass. Nice favoritism...

Sixfortyfive

I disagree when someone fucks up it's always on them to take responsibility and not others. In this situation it should be norcal regional taking the hit and not the players.

You don't get do overs in life, nba and nfl refs fuck up all the time and they have to deal with the criticism and guilt afterwards.

I know Capcom being in norcal so they have a pretty good relationship but NCR fucked up and got a free pass. Nice favoritism...

Capcom handed down the ruling.

Wonder if tournaments will institute a MTG missed trigger-like rule from now on, where it's on the players to catch these things and if they miss it then tough. It's not the same situation but it's the "easiest" way to resolve fuckups no matter how large the magnitude. What if they'd discovered that half the stations at NCR had been using disc 1.00 Ultra? What would you do, replay three days worth of pools?

Wiseblade

Wonder if tournaments will institute a MTG missed trigger-like rule from now on, where it's on the players to catch these things and if they miss it then tough. It's not the same situation but it's the "easiest" way to resolve fuckups no matter how large the magnitude. What if they'd discovered that half the stations at NCR had been using disc 1.00 Ultra? What would you do, replay three days worth of pools?
Not just Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh has the same thing. Because even Konami understand that simply re-rolling doesn't erase it in the minds of the players. It puts the winner of the match at an unfair disadvantage.

Sixfortyfive

Wonder if tournaments will institute a MTG missed trigger-like rule from now on, where it's on the players to catch these things and if they miss it then tough.
EVO already has a rule like that.

"Rule violations must be reported at the time they occur. Otherwise, they will be ignored."

Kimosabae

Banned
Or things like how mentally taxing and deflating it is to have to replay a match that you barely won.

There is more to competition than just the rules of the game itself.

That's fair, but competition and games don't exist without rules in the first place. it's intrinsic to what they are. I loathe bureaucracy as much as the next person, but let's not treat this like such. It was a hard decision and it wasn't arbitrary or unreasonable at all and was made with official guidelines.

What would have made things grey was if things were more open than they already are. Let's not act like favoring case-by-case bases doesn't open us up into hopelessly slippery slopes.

This reminded me that I really like how 13 and 2k2um are balanced.

A couple characters that are clearly the best - clearly ahead, but not by much so you have stuff to tierwhore and boogeymen to hate, and then a really large high tier of great characters that can hang with said boogeymen. Manages to serve everyone: people who want to play what others don't, people who want solid but don't really want to tier whore, people who want to tier whore, people who want to feel their character is broken, people who want something to be annoyed with, people who want a game where everyone is fine and ends up catering to most styles of play.

EDIT: ET vs. MadKOF coming up! www.twitch.tv/cong_stream

BadWolf

ET vs MADkof is coming up next!

A couple characters that are clearly the best - clearly ahead, but not by much so you have stuff to tierwhore and boogeymen to hate, and then a really large high tier of great characters that can hang with said boogeymen. Manages to serve everyone: people who want to play what others don't, people who want solid but don't really want to tier whore, people who want to tier whore, people who want to feel their character is broken, people who want something to be annoyed with, people who want a game where everyone is fine and ends up catering to most styles of play.

Well said, the vast majority of the 13 cast is in the A tier range or thereabouts and it feels like you can win with almost anyone if you put in the time.

NEO0MJ

Misterio takes it, 10-6.

Amazing match, Misterio is tough to beat in a long set. Xiaohai had a better chance during the tournament with FT3.

Can you explain to a guy without much experience in KOF XIII what makes Mr.Karate so mean? I felt that Misterio had to play so carefully against him.

alstein

EVO already has a rule like that.

"Rule violations must be reported at the time they occur. Otherwise, they will be ignored."

I'm sure the argument will be made that this wasn't a rule violation (since it wasn't something either player did), but a glitch.

Can you explain to a guy without much experience in KOF XIII what makes Mr.Karate so mean? I felt that Misterio had to play so carefully against him.

Tons of low-resource damage that can be converted very easily from any position.

EDIT: ET vs. MadKOF coming up! www.twitch.tv/cong_stream

I prefer 98UMFE balance. No one's unviable, a few chars top tier- but mostly due to ease of use. Lots of variety in playstyle. The rushdown/runaway game is fair, with good choices on both ends. The only char who really annoys me in 98UMFE is Iori, but he's toned from from vanilla a bit. Was kinda surprised the Chinese tournament this weekend was saying Kyo sucks- he's toned down too but I still think he's good.

With 2k2UM, I feel the top tier dominates hard and I do hate K'/Nameless/Kasumi/Bao. They also have fairly lame styles to boot. I'm a lame player and I think 2k2UM is too lame.

He's the quintessential toolbox type top tier: Strong buttons, good conversions (he scores free supers off many, many things), a good dp, good fireball (or Force Punch You, rather), scales to any amount of meter available. His jumping CD (the horizontally angled strong kick) is easily one of the best in the game. He has some shenanigans to pull off too, with parries and run/teleport command grabs. Oh, and a mean reset game because he can jump cancel his normals on hit.

He's just a really solid character that can play a competent game in most areas.

BadWolf

He has very strong tools available to him, everything from an excellent DP, a 2 frame EX super to great normals and anti-fireball tools. His pressure can be very difficult to get out of and he can easily confirm into big damage. He can get said big damage from almost any situation. His 'fireball' can also be difficult to deal with and he is the only one in the game iirc who can drive cancel it into a DP. If all this wasn't good enough he can also jump cancel his normals on hit, which results in a guaranteed safe jump for more pressure, and 'break' his DP like Marco in Garou Mark of the Wolves.

What really makes him a problem to approach (and why you will often see Misterio jump over him trying to bait) is his DP. Not only is it damn good on it's own but he can drive cancel it at it's height and basically gets forever to confirm into a big damaging drive cancel combo (which corner carries as a bonus). So getting hit by pretty much any DP can result in you losing a big chunk of your life.

a 2 frame EX super to great normals and anti-fireball tools.

This is wrong. Light ranbu is 6f, heavy 17, EX is 5f. Still a ridiculously good move though, both as a reversal and a combo tool.

excellent DP

'break' his DP like Marco in Garou Mark of the Wolves.

What really makes him a problem to approach (and why you will often see Misterio jump over him trying to bait) is his DP. Not only is it damn good on it's own but he can drive cancel it at it's height and basically gets forever to confirm into a big damaging drive cancel combo (which corner carries as a bonus). So getting hit by pretty much any DP can result in you losing a big chunk of your life.

This bears some elaboration: Karate has two DPs: Light dp is a 4f antiair and reversal, which you can drive cancel to score combos or a super so Karate can take half your life off an AA dp.

The heavy DP which you can break Marco-style is not invincible at all - it's primarily a combo tool, but allows him to launch people to score free supers pretty easily without spending drive meter. Claw Iori's basic gouge BnB is similar in that regard.

BadWolf

This is wrong. Light ranbu is 6f, heavy 17, EX is 5f. Still a ridiculously good move though, both as a reversal and a combo tool.

My bad then, heard ppl say it on stream and it's pretty damn rare to see the thing miss.

This bears some elaboration: Karate has two DPs: Light dp is a 4f antiair and reversal, which you can drive cancel to score combos or a super so Karate can take half your life off an AA dp.

The heavy DP which you can break Marco-style is not invincible at all - it's primarily a combo tool, but allows him to launch people to score free supers pretty easily without spending drive meter. Claw Iori's basic gouge BnB is similar in that regard.

And he also has an Ex DP which has huge range and leads to big combo damage.

So yeah, 3 types and all very useful.

BadWolf

Madkof is getting owned by ET, not using Duolon though (probably because ET has two grapplers on his team).

EDIT: ET beat him pretty bad, 10-6. Finishes it off with a Clark OCV.

MADkof switched to Duolon/Claw Iori/Kim but that didn't make much of a difference, the grapplers had an easy time shutting down Duolon.

ET's Daimon is a monster and his Clark is reads city.

Top Bottom