• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA first post-EA games will be blockchain titles

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to a press release by FIFA: “Gaming and esports are some of the fastest-growing opportunities for FIFA as it continues to expand into new digital spaces, platforms and games that are already welcoming football fans on to them.”

It adds: “The new gaming integrations, all of which are designed with web 3.0 and the future of digital engagement in mind, are playable around the tournament and each have a unique twist on the globe’s biggest football tournament.”

The first game is AI League: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Edition, developed by Altered State Machine, which is a “4-on-4 casual football game, played between AI-controlled characters, with player input at fun and tactical moments”.

According to a separate release by Altered State Machine, the game will launch with a 10-week prediction component, with “digital and physical prizes” available to those who correctly predict real-life matches.

Players who take part in the prediction game will then earn “four unique collectibles” who will become their AI-controlled players in the FIFA World Cup AI League.

The second is FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 in the Upland Metaverse, which is a collaboration with Uplandme. Upland is a blockchain-based metaverse where players buy and sell virtual properties.

The FIFA collaboration will let players collect “official FIFA World Cup digital assets, including legendary video highlights of the tournament”, and travel to a virtual World Cup Lusail Stadium and Village to shop for digital items.

The third, FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 on Phygtl, is a collaboration with “fan engagement mobile application” Phygtl.

The game’s description claims that “fans can augment a golden-globe-football from the palm of their hands into their real-life environment, own a limited fragment of it to attach and eternalize their handpicked FIFA World Cup pictures and video moments.”

This is, in FIFA’s words, “a digital representation of eternal fandom”.

Finally, the fourth game announced is Matchday Challenge: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Edition. According to the press release, Matchday is a “highly engaging casual social prediction game based on football cards”.

feynoob

Banned
Sharlto Copley The Unabomber GIF by Madman Films

ergem

Will EA still make football games with FIFA branding?

Is the deal actually just to remove the exclusivity from EA?

Jinzo Prime

EA will be unable to use the word "FIFA" in their branding. The new name for EA's soccer video games is "EA Sports FC." EA will still have the rights to the team colors, logos, and likenesses of the teams and associated players.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
[/URL]

According to a press release by FIFA: “Gaming and esports are some of the fastest-growing opportunities for FIFA as it continues to expand into new digital spaces, platforms and games that are already welcoming football fans on to them.”

It adds: “The new gaming integrations, all of which are designed with web 3.0 and the future of digital engagement in mind, are playable around the tournament and each have a unique twist on the globe’s biggest football tournament.”

The first game is AI League: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Edition, developed by Altered State Machine, which is a “4-on-4 casual football game, played between AI-controlled characters, with player input at fun and tactical moments”.

According to a separate release by Altered State Machine, the game will launch with a 10-week prediction component, with “digital and physical prizes” available to those who correctly predict real-life matches.

Players who take part in the prediction game will then earn “four unique collectibles” who will become their AI-controlled players in the FIFA World Cup AI League.

The second is FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 in the Upland Metaverse, which is a collaboration with Uplandme. Upland is a blockchain-based metaverse where players buy and sell virtual properties.

The FIFA collaboration will let players collect “official FIFA World Cup digital assets, including legendary video highlights of the tournament”, and travel to a virtual World Cup Lusail Stadium and Village to shop for digital items.

The third, FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 on Phygtl, is a collaboration with “fan engagement mobile application” Phygtl.

The game’s description claims that “fans can augment a golden-globe-football from the palm of their hands into their real-life environment, own a limited fragment of it to attach and eternalize their handpicked FIFA World Cup pictures and video moments.”

This is, in FIFA’s words, “a digital representation of eternal fandom”.

Finally, the fourth game announced is Matchday Challenge: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Edition. According to the press release, Matchday is a “highly engaging casual social prediction game based on football cards”.
Can someone translate to old man for me?

Three

Knew this was coming the moment they took the licence from EA. Didn't know it would be blockchain but expected them to go full on with mtxs on their own game by using the name.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned

FIFA is not that valuable as a brand since it only gives access to the name and the world Cup. The licenses for players, teams, national league cups and other international cups are through other organizations.

FIFA here just got too greedy for something that isn't THAT valuable.

They want to keep generating revenue until they have a deal in place with a publisher and that publisher generates a game worth tying the FIFA name to.

It'll be difficult for most companies to manage. Honestly, only Sony, Microsoft, T2, could probably pull it off at the price tag FIFA is asking for, which is why I think they haven't found a partner, or at least one ready to announce a deal.

We could be talking 2-4 years before a game is ready. Though if I was FIFA, I would have been looking for partners much earlier on in the talks with EA.

FIFA asked for a billion dollars every 4 years and are bigger than the NFL in video games. The NFL did 2 billion for 6 years. The difference between NFL and FIFA is the extent of the license. You still have to deal with the club leagues individually as well and EA still has those rights (though I'm not sure they're all exclusive deals).

This significantly diminishes the value in any deal with FIFA. It might even be too much for T2 to take on by itself. Microsoft is a clear favorite to try.

Kadve

They want to keep generating revenue until they have a deal in place with a publisher and that publisher generates a game worth tying the FIFA name to.

It'll be difficult for most companies to manage. Honestly, only Sony, Microsoft, T2, could probably pull it off at the price tag FIFA is asking for, which is why I think they haven't found a partner, or at least one ready to announce a deal.

We could be talking 2-4 years before a game is ready. Though if I was FIFA, I would have been looking for partners much earlier on in the talks with EA.

FIFA asked for a billion dollars every 4 years and are bigger than the NFL in video games. The NFL did 2 billion for 6 years. The difference between NFL and FIFA is the extent of the license. You still have to deal with the club leagues individually as well and EA still has those rights (though I'm not sure they're all exclusive deals).

This significantly diminishes the value in any deal with FIFA. It might even be too much for T2 to take on by itself. Microsoft is a clear favorite to try.
Unless off course EA sells as much as ever and companies finds out that the FIFA license is just a bonus you don't actually need.

Just saying. I really think FIFA is overselling their own importance when it comes to licenses. And i think people who are stupid enough to confuse EAs output with this trash is actually an minority.

Ozriel

M$FT
In the future, people will study this move by FIFA as an example of extremely bad decision making.

Lost guaranteed payout of hundreds of millions to chase 'web3' and 'blockchain' trends that are already on the wane.

wipeout364

That’s a relief, I was worried they might release a game that didn’t allow me to waste thousands of dollars on micro transactions.

Top Bottom