• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 22 - PS5 Gameplay (Trial live now)

rubhen925

Was browsing through EA play and found that the trial launched. So checked it out. Here's some info:

- PS5 version install size is 38.38 GB as of Version 1.00
- As with all FIFA games in the past no different modes to choose from.
- Asked a PR and they said it can support 4K 60FPS. Though I would assume dynamic. Doesn't look native to me. Maybe DF or VGtech can confirm.
- No in game HDR settings. Just using the one off PS5 for personal use.
- New mode/feature called FIFA experience. When the game starts you get to make an avatar which can be used for other modes.
- You can then continue this experience to learn the basics and advanced gameplay features of the game.
- Has some voice acting, a bunch of International player camoes, etc.
- The game does indeed have many new animations recycled with some old ones. But these hinder the gameplay more than it should.
- I've had many moments where the players just collide with others and fall down, keep running without collecting the ball, or outright fumble with the ball.
- Noticed that defensive pockets are much tighter as well.
- They mentioned a new acceleration system where players can bolt pass defenders. Tried it a bunch and the defenders still were faster than some really fast players. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
- Goalies have stupid AI. At moments as I was trying to defend the ball with defenders, the goalies will randomly run out the of the box to try and pick up or kick the ball. Like what. Not even touching the Triangle button to initiate the goalie.
- The ball now has a trail effect to show the trajectory now. I like it. I'm pretty sure this wasn't in the last years version.
- There's some ghosting going on the models and the ball during replays. This has been there for the past decade so I'm just gonna move on.
- Online feels incredibly sluggish compared to Offline. People mentioned if you don't have good internet then your connection will be slow. I got 900 mb down, and 700mb up. Speed shouldn't be a problem.
- Servers suck ass. Had to re-record the online match twice because of disconnects and slowdowns.
- Messaged a couple friends and they mentioned they were having lag issues as well.

Not sure what else to add, it's FIFA, new coat of paint, some new animations, and some new issues. I still got 8 hours left. Will play and update the thread.

UPDATE: Played another 2 hours and got to say the game isn't gelling with me at all. The players don't run at all. Crash all the time. Uninstalled. Moving on.

Last edited:

Majukun

gotta receive the game for free so i'm still gonna try it, but the animations this year don't really look improoved, actually the opposite, looks like they are skating

wonder if th new animations are ps5 exclusive or pc is also getting it

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
The animations look worse than ever and the sticky ball effect is still there.

Not even PES can save us this year. Looks like last year's PES with an option file might be the way to go.
Honestly I'm sticking to the PS2 versions. They still give me the best fun out of Sim football.

gotta receive the game for free so i'm still gonna try it, but the animations this year don't really look improoved, actually the opposite, looks like they are skating

wonder if th new animations are ps5 exclusive or pc is also getting it
For years now we keep hearing all these animation/gameplay buzzwords from EA regarding Fifa. Then they churn out what looks to be the same crap (only prettier) from the year before.

You look at PES. You don't get these buzzwords and fancy marketing. They just drop a game that works. That plays realistically, makes you work for goals or opportunities and in some cases looks like an actual live broadcast football match.

Don't want to make this thread about PES but Fifa once again looks to be a disappointment and that should come as no surprise to anyone into football games.

I've said it before. Get this fucking IP away from EA and you'll start seeing improvements. They (EA) are just coasting on the Fifa name knowing it will bring in tons of $$$ despite it being the same old heap of crap with a cherrie on top.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The animations look worse than ever and the sticky ball effect is still there.

Not even PES can save us this year. Looks like last year's PES with an option file might be the way to go.
I bought it the other day £2.49 on PSN store with this in mind.
It's available at that price until September 29th in the UK for anyone interested. A bargain imo.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

GinSama

Looks disappointing… there’s no footplanting at all…. I will try the demo but after all the buzz around new tech or whatever was expecting more.

Södy

dUAgAEV.jpg

This was from my 2nd game. The defenseman is ai controlled in the whole sequence. Good thing the opponent won't reach the corner flag!

GymWolf

Imagine having ea money and still making mediocre sport games at best...

Hire someone good at doing animations ffs...

Last edited:

Dibils2k

Playing Career Mode and defending is just so broken, defense AI just leaving players after running with them lol instantly dropping in far too deep, giving far too much space, anytime they change direction it feels like they wanna take the scenic route!.. i dont feel like i have any control over if AI scores or not

I think my main issue is how deep the defense goes, match just gets played inside the box.

Is this CB4K? Anytime the camera pans there are some artifacts around the scoreboard top left. But ya, looks like a last gen game.

Last edited:
It plays mostly like Fifa 21 so far, just looks prettier and has some better animations. I haven't seen any of the problems OP mentioned though.

I love the many, many additional stats we get after the game. Even stuff like xGoals is in it.

ClosBSAS

The game has not had major changes in 10 years, looks like ps360 shit and can't even run at 4k60fps on PS5? WAT
lmfao, seriously....its so whack how new next gen consoles cant make a football game look or feel better. i relaly hope is the cross gen bullshit thats limiting the game cause i see no excuse as to why the presentation and gameplay hasnt changed in 10 years.

JLB

Banned
Fun fact about FIFA threads is that all people posting on them hate it. I guess majority of real FIFA players are actually playing it rather than being around here.

DonJorginho

Banned
I'm surprisingly enjoying this far more than previous FIFAs.

It seems a lot slower and the ball has a real weight to it like in PES which adds to the immersion. FIFA continues to be the best sports series when it comes to it's presentation and it genuinely feels like from a distance that you're watching the real thing.

It still doesn't hit the same heights as peak PES for me, but it is a definite improvement over 20 and 21. Just wish they still had proper footplanting tech, there is way less sliding here luckily but there is still enough to annoy me.

Typical EA. You now have to pay, via a subscription service, to play what was previously a FREE demo!!!

This cycle of annual sports releases means little to no innovation (yeah, right Hypermotion... just the usual EA gimmicky marketing term in my opinion) so what you end up with are iterative sequels with no real improvements or features, some stuff removed, some stuff added (that was included 3 or 4 years ago but now is marketing as a 'new feature') and usually a whole load of new bugs.

I stopped buying EA Sports games yearly for that reason and now only pick them up every 2-3 years, usually when they're cheap in a sale (which is how I bought FIFA 21 for the PS5). I really wish they'd switch to a two yearly release cycle with a roster update inbetween personally to allow the developers more time to refine and add new features as well as overhaul the dated graphics engine.

Last edited:

Inuteu

its just me or keepers now suck?

anyway, the game is almost the same as last year

not worthed full price

the motion capture thing, puff....

FIFA 22 claims to bring more realistic and immersive gameplay with HyperMotion technology, but that may just be marketing talk.

TOTALLY

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
Fun fact about FIFA threads is that all people posting on them hate it. I guess majority of real FIFA players are actually playing it rather than being around here.

The majority of FIFA players are spoiled teenagers addicted on dopamine spikes that spend their parents money (and their inheritance) on stupid FUT players lootboxes.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Not the first time I heard that about a sports game they can mix up the game modes start a new mode and than use frostbite engine, I think fans who want something they haven’t seen yet should not seek that in a sports game.

JLB

Banned
The majority of FIFA players are spoiled teenagers addicted on dopamine spikes that spend their parents money (and their inheritance) on stupid FUT players lootboxes.

Sure, and those who play dark souls have an xl penis and a harem full of hot lads.

JLB

Banned
Just played a couple of hours of the free trial from Gamepass Ultimate. I like what i saw. Animations, and specially ball physics are much improved. Also the players’s turns are much slower and thus realistic.
Its not perfect, but i think its a big step in the right direction. Game still needs to be slowed down a lot.

Played a few hours , it's mindbogling how similar it feels fifa 21 ,
Like honestly if I start a match without menu and 22 logo , u wouldn't be able to tell which is 21 and which one is 22

Moneal

Like honestly if I start a match without menu and 22 logo , u wouldn't be able to tell which is 21 and which one is 22
It feels quite different to me. Almost done with my 10 hrs and game feels great for me in most areas. Attributes feel like they have an actual effect on the way players play. Last year that wasn't the case for me.

I really hate how they screwed up defensive AI for offline because of online, why not have separate AI profiles for player v player and player v AI. This wasn't done this edition but it feels worse because player movement is slower.

buenoblue

I don't get the hate for fifa I really don't. It always looks great and is full of modes and options with real stadiums and players. And for those that say it's just end to end pinball football, that's all down to the person controlling the game. It's really easy to play the game like real football but you need knowledge of how real football is played. Most games I have 60-70% possession and constantly passing back and sideways recycling the ball, waiting for the right opportunities to attack.

Can you run at the defence and try to skill move everytime, sure, but that's down to the person controlling the game.

keraj37

Thanks, I will keep my FIFA 21 XSX version for the next year - seems FIFA should be bought every 3-4 years to feel any change.
21 NextGen is good one and will last for 2 more years I assume.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Thanks, I will keep my FIFA 21 XSX version for the next year - seems FIFA should be bought every 3-4 years to feel any change.
21 NextGen is good one and will last for 2 more years I assume.

let me disagree. This game is much much better and qith substantial changes from 21.
Though the buy every 3 years or so strategy is smart.

Portugeezer

Was browsing through EA play and found that the trial launched. So checked it out. Here's some info:

- PS5 version install size is 38.38 GB as of Version 1.00
- As with all FIFA games in the past no different modes to choose from.
- Asked a PR and they said it can support 4K 60FPS. Though I would assume dynamic. Doesn't look native to me. Maybe DF or VGtech can confirm.
- No in game HDR settings. Just using the one off PS5 for personal use.
- New mode/feature called FIFA experience. When the game starts you get to make an avatar which can be used for other modes.
- You can then continue this experience to learn the basics and advanced gameplay features of the game.
- Has some voice acting, a bunch of International player camoes, etc.
- The game does indeed have many new animations recycled with some old ones. But these hinder the gameplay more than it should.
- I've had many moments where the players just collide with others and fall down, keep running without collecting the ball, or outright fumble with the ball.
- Noticed that defensive pockets are much tighter as well.
- They mentioned a new acceleration system where players can bolt pass defenders. Tried it a bunch and the defenders still were faster than some really fast players. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
- Goalies have stupid AI. At moments as I was trying to defend the ball with defenders, the goalies will randomly run out the of the box to try and pick up or kick the ball. Like what. Not even touching the Triangle button to initiate the goalie.
- The ball now has a trail effect to show the trajectory now. I like it. I'm pretty sure this wasn't in the last years version.
- There's some ghosting going on the models and the ball during replays. This has been there for the past decade so I'm just gonna move on.
- Online feels incredibly sluggish compared to Offline. People mentioned if you don't have good internet then your connection will be slow. I got 900 mb down, and 700mb up. Speed shouldn't be a problem.
- Servers suck ass. Had to re-record the online match twice because of disconnects and slowdowns.
- Messaged a couple friends and they mentioned they were having lag issues as well.

Not sure what else to add, it's FIFA, new coat of paint, some new animations, and some new issues. I still got 8 hours left. Will play and update the thread.

UPDATE: Played another 2 hours and got to say the game isn't gelling with me at all. The players don't run at all. Crash all the time. Uninstalled. Moving on.

Messi scored for PSG, what an unrealistic game.

Last edited:
Just played a couple of hours of the free trial from Gamepass Ultimate. I like what i saw. Animations, and specially ball physics are much improved. Also the players’s turns are much slower and thus realistic.
Its not perfect, but i think its a big step in the right direction. Game still needs to be slowed down a lot.

To be honest I had a similar impression of Fifa 21 when trying out the PS5 version, game felt slower & heavier than the last gen PC version I usually play. Probably give 22 a try later if its similar and make the most of the 79p EA Play offer at the moment

Top Bottom