• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fictional Podcasts |OT| - "You mean it isn't real?"

Tried checking out some new podcasts that were recommended on Nosleep. Deadly Manners and The Death of Dr. John Parker didn't grab me, but White Vault seems to be pretty good and it has some of my favorite VAs.

Hey, keep these titles coming as you stumble upon them. White Vault looks promising. I'll check it out tonight.

Skittles

Tried Deadly Manners and it was very meh to me, no good hook in the first episode. Sable is looking promising though. Keep up the Occult stuff and i'll be hooked.

Man, I haven't heard a single horror/non-horror podcast give a shoutout to The Magnus Archives

Rest of the year is looking pretty great for podcasts:
Ars Paradoxia S3
The Magnus Archives S3
Uncanny County S2
Earth Collective S2

Tried Deadly Manners and it was very meh to me, no good hook in the first episode. Sable is looking promising though. Keep up the Occult stuff and i'll be hooked.

Man, I haven't heard a single horror/non-horror podcast give a shoutout to The Magnus Archives
It's always annoying to see that iTunes still has never given Magnus Archives a promo on their podcast app or even mentioned in the audiodrama section

Skittles

Haha, OBVIOUSLY it's because they're intimidated!
lol
I honestly wouldnt doubt it haha
It's always annoying to see that iTunes still has never given Magnus Archives a promo on their podcast app or even mentioned in the audiodrama section
Damn, thats crazy. Their pateron could easily be making 3-4x more if some other podcasts gave them a shoutout.

Sable is good so far. I'm 5 episodes in and the world building is the main draw. First episode is kinda slow thou

First episode of Uncanny County S2 is out!

I wish The Bridge would come back :(

Patison

Quick question: 9 episode in Wolf 359, does it stay episodic throughout? I love the characters, voice-acting and humour, but I wish some stories lasted longer than ~20 minutes.

Unit 33

Magnus really deserves the praise.
As a horror podcast it manages to avoid the pitfalls excellently illustrated by Black Tapes, Tanis etc.

King Falls AM consistently entertains me a lot, I think it's particular strength is likeable characters (something else that perhaps other podcasts seem to forget about).

I still listen to Black Tapes and Tanis, but the repetitious structure of conversations really bothers me, it feels like I've heard the same conversation several times in each episode. And it's especially maddening because both shows do it.

Nick / Alex: Can you tell me about the thing?
(Several seconds of silence)
Mysterious character: Yes
Nick / Alex: Yes?
(A minute of silence)
Mysterious character: The thing in the woods calls to us
Nick / Alex: What do you mean by that?
(Five minutes of silence)
Nick / Alex: Mysterious character?
Mysterious character: I'm sorry I can't tell you any more.

Oh the horror!

I'm pretty sure this joke has been done to death, but it really is aggravating.

Otherwise I suppose when they actually come around to describing something, it can be fun and interesting, and sometimes especially spooky.

I'm committed. I know they'll never say what they hell Tanis or spooky eldritch-Pythagorean-shadowman-cult is all about, but whatever, I ain't getting off this ride.

Rest of the year is looking pretty great for podcasts:
Ars Paradoxia S3
The Magnus Archives S3
Uncanny County S2
Earth Collective S2
Yea I'm surprised other groups havent given props to MAG...

At this point all I associate with The Black Tapes is bomba socks, not bothering with the third season.

Magnus really deserves the praise.
As a horror podcast it manages to avoid the pitfalls excellently illustrated by Black Tapes, Tanis etc.

King Falls AM consistently entertains me a lot, I think it's particular strength is likeable characters (something else that perhaps other podcasts seem to forget about).

I still listen to Black Tapes and Tanis, but the repetitious structure of conversations really bothers me, it feels like I've heard the same conversation several times in each episode. And it's especially maddening because both shows do it.

Nick / Alex: Can you tell me about the thing?
(Several seconds of silence)
Mysterious character: Yes
Nick / Alex: Yes?
(A minute of silence)
Mysterious character: The thing in the woods calls to us
Nick / Alex: What do you mean by that?
(Five minutes of silence)
Nick / Alex: Mysterious character?
Mysterious character: I'm sorry I can't tell you any more.

Oh the horror!

I'm pretty sure this joke has been done to death, but it really is aggravating.

Otherwise I suppose when they actually come around to describing something, it can be fun and interesting, and sometimes especially spooky.

I'm committed. I know they'll never say what they hell Tanis or spooky eldritch-Pythagorean-shadowman-cult is all about, but whatever, I ain't getting off this ride.

Black Tapes has gotten very, very bad but at this point I just want to finish the damn thing.

Fancolors

I might have dropped Night Vale, but I'm really glad they still make other shows. Can't wait for more Orbiting Human Circus and Within the Wires. Only show I'm not feeling right now is It Makes a Sound, but it's only been 2 episodes.

For now I've given up on finding a horror podcast with a continuous story as good as Magnus, so I've started listening to ones where it's essentially just short stories.

I refuse to listen to Nosleep, because I was a 2 year avid reader of the subreddit, but it went to complete shit in my opinion and I assume the podcast is still just reading stories from the subreddit.

I've started The Wicked Library. Unless you pay, you only have access to seasons 6 and 7, with 1-5 locked behind the paywall. It's reasonable, but it doesn't matter to me right now since they're standalone stories any way.

For now I've given up on finding a horror podcast with a continuous story as good as Magnus, so I've started listening to ones where it's essentially just short stories.

I refuse to listen to Nosleep, because I was a 2 year avid reader of the subreddit, but it went to complete shit in my opinion and I assume the podcast is still just reading stories from the subreddit.

I've started The Wicked Library. Unless you pay, you only have access to seasons 6 and 7, with 1-5 locked behind the paywall. It's reasonable, but it doesn't matter to me right now since they're standalone stories any way.
Check out Knifepoint Horror. That was my favorite horror anthology podcast

When does Magnus start kicking in? I gave the first couple of episodes a listen and find the narrators voice to be oddly annoying.

How's The Wicked Library?

I've heard that sentiment about the NoSleep reddit, what changed? I've listened to the pod for the last 2 years, I've only read a handful of actual stories on the sub. I still think NoSleep has some of the best VAs, sound mix and does a great job of adding more life to the stories. I'd say the latest season is actually pretty good.

Skittles

Episode 9 of Sable...god damn GOD DAMN.
episode 1 makes so much sense now.
This is crazy stuff, keep this up and i'll be hooked. I recommend this if you can handle one person doing all the voices.

How's The Wicked Library?

I've heard that sentiment about the NoSleep reddit, what changed? I've listened to the pod for the last 2 years, I've only read a handful of actual stories on the sub. I still think NoSleep has some of the best VAs, sound mix and does a great job of adding more life to the stories. I'd say the latest season is actually pretty good.

I've listened to four episodes of The Wicked Library and it hasn't been anything special so far. Knifepoint is still the best standalone horror story podcast I've heard.

As for the Nosleep subreddit, it started out being self contained horror stories, and the subreddit's premise was "everything posted here is true [even if it's not]". And that was fine, and enjoyable when the stories were mostly one-offs or campfire type things where the person typing the story is relating something that he heard happened.

As the subreddit grew, the stories became too ridiculous to sustain the subreddit's premise. We'd get things like "I Think My Son is Possessed", and the story would have the son commit multiple murder attempts, and then at the bottom, "CONTINUED IN PART 2", and then in the next part "CONTINUED IN PART 3", yet somehow the story is supposed to be happening to the author?

Why is the author taking the time to write this stuff to a subreddit if this stuff is happening in real time?

Any way, my general feeling is that the majority of the subreddit has jumped the shark.

I'm sure there are still some great pieces of standalone horror in there, and I'm definitely not saying that all multi-part stories are bad (Penpal and The Spire in the Woods on nosleep were awesome, for example).

When does Magnus start kicking in? I gave the first couple of episodes a listen and find the narrators voice to be oddly annoying.

Mm, well, if you don't like his voice I don't know if it'll ever click for you. I was hooked from episode 1.

Ah, I see. I still think there's some great value to the extended stories like The Park Ranger series but I feel like most run off for too long and unfortunately are the ones that seem to get most of the votes. Their initial premise is usually based in horror, but then quickly devolves in Mary Sue or Mary Sue-like territory. As for the podcast, they do a good job at selecting interesting stories and rarely do I find that I'm completely tuned out. Only story types I dislike are "Oh shit everything is fucked up/I'm in hell!" and they've had this ongoing vampire series that I cannot get into.

aravuus

The narration never really gets any better, but it's something you'll probably just get used to. I had the same exact complaint early on but decided to stick with it, and even though I still only tolerate the narration, I'm glad I did. There are some great stories MAG.

Sulik2

The narration never really gets any better, but it's something you'll probably just get used to. I had the same exact complaint early on but decided to stick with it, and even though I still only tolerate the narration, I'm glad I did. There are some great stories MAG.

I love the narrator and think he is an incredible voice actor. Some of the season 2 stuff shows incredible range from him. I never knew people didn't like his voice.

Skittles

Yeah, unless you just straight uo hate the narrator's voice, i dont see how you can hate his performance

Edit:damn, Sable be getting crazy. Some of the story beats remind me of Amnesia: A Dark Descent. But man, i wish they dude could afford a handful of voice actors lol

Edit2: knifepoint horror just dropped a halloween episode

betapeter

Neo Member
Hey guys, I've not posted in this thread (I generally stick to board games OT) but I produce a sci-fi & horror fiction podcast. Each episode is standalone, a bit like The Truth.
Am I ok to put a link here? All the episodes are free and don't have ads, we don't make any money of it; quite the opposite :,(

Sulik2

Hey guys, I've not posted in this thread (I generally stick to board games OT) but I produce a sci-fi & horror fiction podcast. Each episode is standalone, a bit like The Truth.
Am I ok to put a link here? All the episodes are free and don't have ads, we don't make any money of it; quite the opposite :,(

I think your probably fine to post it. It is on topic. What's your synopsis?

betapeter

Neo Member
I think your probably fine to post it. It is on topic. What's your synopsis?

Ok Cool, each episode is it's own story so not sure I can come up with a synopsis. We use volunteer actors and sub in friends/family so it doesn't sound as pro as the others listed here.
It's called The Whisper Through The Static. You can get it off our site, should be on iTunes as well but I think my rss feed is jacked up.

http://www.twobitproductions.com/podcast/

Yeah, unless you just straight uo hate the narrator's voice, i dont see how you can hate his performance

Edit:damn, Sable be getting crazy. Some of the story beats remind me of Amnesia: A Dark Descent. But man, i wish they dude could afford a handful of voice actors lol

Edit2: knifepoint horror just dropped a halloween episode

Awesome.

Ok Cool, each episode is it's own story so not sure I can come up with a synopsis. We use volunteer actors and sub in friends/family so it doesn't sound as pro as the others listed here.
It's called The Whisper Through The Static. You can get it off our site, should be on iTunes as well but I think my rss feed is jacked up.

http://www.twobitproductions.com/podcast/

Currently listening to the latest episode. Really like it, great voice acting, good ambient background noise so far. Are these original stories?

betapeter

Neo Member
Awesome.

Currently listening to the latest episode. Really like it, great voice acting, good ambient background noise so far. Are these original stories?

Thanks man. Yeah it's all my own stuff

More_badass I've never actually heard of pocketcast haha. I'll look into how to get it on there

Vox has an article up on recommended horror/thriller podcasts. Some good ones in there, and a couple I haven't heard of.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/19/16488604/best-scariest-horror-podcasts-halloween

Here are the ones I don't think I've seen mentioned here:

Lake Clarity
Return Home
Lost Cat Podcast
Point Mystic

Never heard of any of them, I'll check them out. Any personal recommendation from that list?

Man I'm starting to get the MAG shakes, ha. I'll give another shout out to The White Vault, it's two episodes deep... Nothing spooky so far, but still interesting, a good one to keep in your rotation.

No mention of MAG or NoSleep?

Skittles

Vox has an article up on recommended horror/thriller podcasts. Some good ones in there, and a couple I haven't heard of.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/19/16488604/best-scariest-horror-podcasts-halloween

Lake Clarity
Return Home
Lost Cat Podcast
Point Mystic

Never heard of any of them, I'll check them out. Any personal recommendation from that list?

Man I'm starting to get the MAG shakes, ha. I'll give another shout out to The White Vault, it's two episodes deep... Nothing spooky so far, but still interesting, a good one to keep in your rotation.

No mention of MAG or NoSleep?
List is weird because Within in the Wires is 100% not a horror podcast in anyway. Alice isn't Dead also isn't a horror, it's more like a supernatural thriller/road trip. No MAG is a shame once again.

Man, I really wish No Sleep accepted amazon payments. Their natural credit card reader is canadian only and I fucking hate paypal.

Looks like S3 of The Bright Sessions has started

Started Tribulation, oof not the best first episode. My suspension of disbelief was shattered when you have main characters doing "dumb white people in horror movies" level of things.

Lake Clarity
Return Home
Lost Cat Podcast
Point Mystic

I mentioned Return Home once... last year. I really enjoy it (need to do better promoting my favorite podcasts) it's reminds me a lot of King Falls AM in tone. So if you're not a fan of that then you might not like it. But even so, some of their non-story related "interludes" are A+++ material. It is also starting back up again in November (I actually was gonna bring it up then)

I listened to some of Lake Clarity a while back. It was okay, I'll probably go back to it at some point. Season 2 started recently too.

Lost Cat I've heard of but never listened to but I think I'll check out Point Mystic

Within The Wires is unsettling in the sense of being a gradual glimpse into a dystopian world through the veil of a friendly self-help series. The juxtaposition between the two can feel pretty uneasy and off

I mentioned Return Home once... last year. I really enjoy it (need to do better promoting my favorite podcasts)

That's what we're all here for!

Within The Wires is unsettling in the sense of being gradual glimpse into a dystopian world through the veil of a friendly self-help series. The juxtaposition between the two can feel pretty uneasy and off

Sounds like horror to me.

Man, I really wish No Sleep accepted amazon payments. Their natural credit card reader is canadian only and I fucking hate paypal.

I've bought into all the seasons and I have to say that if you like the NoSleep format you really need to get access. This latest season and I wanna say the one before have been great, can't remember liking 7 too much and it's been a while since I've listened to the others but I do remember enjoying them.

So, somewhat related. Someone on my twitter feed went to a haunted house... excuse me, immersive theater, based on the lore podcast. Apparently its now a book series and Amazon web series. I dropped it after ~10 maybe but it looks like it blew up; did it get better?

vladbkp

Neo Member
So happy to have found this thread! There’s a bunch of new podcasts I’ll be listening to now. (Magnus sounds great!)

Skittles

That's what we're all here for!

Sounds like horror to me.

I've bought into all the seasons and I have to say that if you like the NoSleep format you really need to get access. This latest season and I wanna say the one before have been great, can't remember liking 7 too much and it's been a while since I've listened to the others but I do remember enjoying them.
Yeah, ill hop on it eventually. Easiest podcast to throw on for background listening

Tribulation got far more interesting. Supernatural cults
or so advanced technologically they can turn themselves into electromagnetic waves
? I'm interested.

Yeah, ill hop on it eventually. Easiest podcast to throw on for background listening

Tribulation got far more interesting. Supernatural cults
or so advanced technologically they can turn themselves into electromagnetic waves
? I'm interested.
Yeah, I really enjoyed tribulations by the end. I'm interested to see where they take the story.

Also, here's the list of the Audioverse awards!
http://www.audioverseawards.net/site/list-of-nominees/
I'm less interested in the voting and more interested in a big list of podcasts names with handy links.

And more podcasts I've been listening to!

Ostium
The Blood Crow Stories
The Orphans/The Orphans: Facility
36 Questions
Immunities
dmw presents Unwritten
Girl in Space

Top Bottom