• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fictional Podcasts |OT| - "You mean it isn't real?"

Natiko

Banned
I usually do it based off mood.

Just started Tanis, it's pretty great so far. Around what episode does it start to shit the bed and does it ever pick back up?
It's been awhile but I mainly recall it falling off fairly early in season 2.

Skittles

Oh shit with the new magnus archives
we Cthulhu now? Was another good episode with some more world building. I wonder if new Sasha put old Sasha in the wax museum.

Phyranion

So I'm dropping by with a recommendation that hasn't been mentioned in this thread before: The Box. It's fairly similar to the more well-known The Black Tapes, so if you liked that, go check it out. For those not familiar with TBT, the tldr version is investigation of paranormal stories that may or may not be real.

Skittles

Yooooo, Wormwood is really fucking good so far. The only bad remark I have about it is that the audio can be spotty with its levels, but I won't hold that against it because it's over a decade old. Which means good recording equipment/setups weren't cheaply available.

Sulik2

Archive 81 is getting so weird.

I love it.

Only problem I have with it is having to remind myself this has no relation to The Deep Vault. I thought I was listening to the wrong podcast at the beginning of the first EP this season because the actors are the same .

I'm struggling with Season 2, the main actor doing two voices that are separate characters talking to each other all the time is driving me insane. They had a huge voice cast for the Deep Vault, just bring in someone to do the Doctor's voice.

Malyse

Yooooo, Wormwood is really fucking good so far. The only bad remark I have about it is that the audio can be spotty with its levels, but I won't hold that against it because it's over a decade old. Which means good recording equipment/setups weren't cheaply available.

Wormwood is Top 10 easy.

TraBuch

Banned
Is there a good romance fictional podcast out there? Or even something like the Beyond Belief episodes of the Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast where romance might not be the focus, but the romance aspect of it is still done well?

Seriously, I just discovered the Thrilling Adventure Hour earlier this week and I'm absolutely in love with Frank and Sadie Doyle. Paul F Tompkins and Paget Brewster have fantastic chemistry. It's like supernatural Thin Man.

Jag

Just stumbled on this thread and way too many choices to find one at random. So any recommendations for Fantasy or Sci Fi? The Once and Future Nerd sounds interesting.

TraBuch

Banned
Is there a good romance fictional podcast out there? Or even something like the Beyond Belief episodes of the Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast where romance might not be the focus, but the romance aspect of it is still done well?

Seriously, I just discovered the Thrilling Adventure Hour earlier this week and I'm absolutely in love with Frank and Sadie Doyle. Paul F Tompkins and Paget Brewster have fantastic chemistry. It's like supernatural Thin Man.
So I guess there's not much out there?

Skittles

Anyone still listening to Tanis? Season 3 started
I'm really not sure how to feel about Tanis. Feels like it should have ended with S2. They keep doing asspulls to keep the story going. It either needs to evolve into something greater or just stop.
doesn't help that they fucked up by tying it to the black tapes. Meaning that they can't pull the world ending stuff they've been alluding to, unless they want to finish off both podcasts.

Just stumbled on this thread and way too many choices to find one at random. So any recommendations for Fantasy or Sci Fi? The Once and Future Nerd sounds interesting.
If you're looking for Fantasy that's more comedy-based, then I highly recommend "Hello From the Magic Tavern". One of the best comedy podcasts out there.

So I guess there's not much out there?
Uncanny County has a few episodes where love drives the plot in some way. It can have some sweet moments but that's not the main focus.

Kind of not liking Mabel. The way the main girl talks is incredibly obnoxious and it just kills any kind of horror because of it. The way the horror is presented doesn't help either.

Malyse

RABBITS IS A BRAND NEW DOCUMENTARY/DOCUDRAMA PODCAST SERIES FROM PRA

When Carly Parker’s friend Yumiko goes missing under very mysterious circumstances, Carly’s search for her friend leads her headfirst into a ancient mysterious game known only as Rabbits. Soon Carly begins to suspect that Rabbits is much more than just a game, and that the key to understanding Rabbits, might be the key to the survival of our species, and the Universe, as we know it.

New episodes every second Tuesday.
http://rabbitspodcast.com/

Set in the PNWS universe.

Malyse

Is it in PNWS? It's not listed on their site

They have split into two networks, PNWS and PRA.

Based on the PRA show page maybe Tanis will end this season. We can always hope.

PRA-PNWS-TIMELINE-with-logo.png

Fades

Banned
Anyone check out Rabbits yet?

Tanis has been hard to follow and Black Tapes seems all but dead.

Black Tapes has been on hiatus while they work on Rabbits. Last I remember they're still planning on a spring premier, likely under the PNWS banner.

EDIT: Checking their Twitter, they've run into some scheduling issues, but they're still actively working on Black Tapes.

Fades

Banned
I don't think I have any idea what this response means lol

I think that was a response to the other posters more than you. :p I'm not sure what the upcoming Nic/MK-led PRA show means for Tanis going forward; it's possible they might have them narrate both shows, but it's hard to say. I have been enjoying Tanis, but everything has to come to an end at some point.

Out-of-universe, I'm not sure why they felt the need to rebrand/split into two "companies". If I had to guess, later podcasts under the PRA banner won't necessarily be focusing on the Pacific Northwest. There's also been rumour of in-fighting with the production team (possibly centred around Paul Bae?), so they might have split based on those lines, but that's only rumour.

In-universe, I guess getting the rights back to their original name is as good of an explanation as any, and I'm glad they addressed the whole "NRA" thing from earlier Black Tapes episodes.

EDIT: Diving a bit deeper, because I was curious, it seems that the out-of-universe hierarchy goes a bit like this: Minnow Beats Whale is the production company owned by Terry Miles that handles everything. Out-of-universe, the designation between whether a podcast is put out under the PWNS banner or PRA depends on who exactly is working on the podcast: PNWS podcasts (of which there is one, Black Tapes) are produced jointly by Terry and Paul, and PRA podcasts (Tanis and Rabbits), are produced solely by Terry (Paul admits that he did nothing on Tanis and was only credited for the series originally because he helped with ideas in pre-production). In-story, they take place in the same universe (e.g., the Nic Silver referred to in each podcast is the same person) with the same concepts otherwise.

Natiko

Banned
I just feel like Tanis has been spinning it's wheels ever since season one ended. I feel like they would be better served doing shorter stories.

I miss Black Tapes but I unsubbed from Tanis and don't miss it. Maybe i'll give it a go as a marathon when it's done but I just couldn't follow it anymore.

Jag

I'm enjoying Hello from the Magic Tavern more than I should. I guess I like funny fantasy podcasts. Just finished Ep 4, Flower which really made me chuckle.

Malyse

Minnow Beats Whale is the real-life production company, the other two are in-universe.

There is literally no way to tell that when

The Black Tapes is a weekly podcast from Pacific Northwest Stories and Minnow Beats Whale, and is hosted by Alex Reagan. The Black Tapes is a serialized docudrama about one journalist's search for truth, her enigmatic subject's mysterious past, and the literal and figurative ghosts that haunt them both.
Tanis is a bi-weekly podcast from the Public Radio Alliance, Minnow Beats Whale and Pacific Northwest Stories, and is hosted by Nic Silver. Tanis is a serialized docudrama about a fascinating and surprising mystery: the myth of Tanis.

they literally position MBW as just another company working on the podcasts.

I really dig Rabbits, much more so than I dug the first episode of Tanis or black tapes.

versimilituuuude. mix in the real stuff with the ficiton, just like star trek listing off real scientists alongside its fake future people.

though I suppose spending multiple years positioning one as a purely businesss entity might make for some mindbending 4th-wall breaking if they ever feel like it.

Skittles

I don't know if I can handle another one of their podcasts being tied to the in-universe radio station. It just severely hampers the flexibility of the stories since nothing can really happen to the hosts of the show and the world can't change too much either.

Holy shit, Archive 81 just introduced the most fucking obnoxious character possible. Like, who thought this was a good idea?

Realeza

Banned
Rabbits gets a thumbs up. Really liking the concept, but I hope it's more focused than Tanis, which I still like, but it got too complex for its own sake.

Fades

Banned

Well, at the risk of breaking immersion, Nic Silver and Alex Regan aren't actually real people, either. The PWNS and PRA websites are both written in an in-universe style; as a company, they're committed to selling the act of placing everything in a real-life context. The only "real" website is Minnow Beats Whale.

I finally had a chance to listen to Rabbits the other day, and I liked it. At this point it's hard to tell whether they're going for something more grounded (crime ring/cult) or supernatural (Tanis 2.0) with the game yet, but I'm interested to see how it develops.

I'm digging the Magnus Archives. There's some really gross episodes (The Man Upstairs, Colony) that I'm not a huge fan of but a lot of the episodes are pretty creepy.

I enjoyed TBTP so I'll have to check out Rabbits. Sayer is next on my list after I finish Magnus; it'll be nice to mix things up with some sci-fi.

Skittles

Thread seems to have died out for some reason.

Picked up Knifepoint Horror. It's a longform version of what i'm used to in horror stories (i'm used to roughly 30 minute stories). I'm liking it so far but not loving it. Probably because i'm not really feeling the horror aspect of it in the majority of these stories. Most of them feel like thrillers than horrors.

Started King Falls AM. It's pretty good, but I can't tell if it's improv or scripted haha (leaning towards the latter). Also tried out the Beef & Diary podcast, but I feel like i'm missing the jokes.

Thread seems to have died out for some reason.

Picked up Knifepoint Horror. It's a longform version of what i'm used to in horror stories (i'm used to roughly 30 minute stories). I'm liking it so far but not loving it. Probably because i'm not really feeling the horror aspect of it in the majority of these stories. Most of them feel like thrillers than horrors.

Started King Falls AM. It's pretty good, but I can't tell if it's improv or scripted haha (leaning towards the latter). Also tried out the Beef & Diary podcast, but I feel like i'm missing the jokes.

King Falls AM is scripted. It starts loosely but quickly develops storylines. I love it. It's hilarious.

Skittles

King Falls AM is scripted. It starts loosely but quickly develops storylines. I love it. It's hilarious.
Ahhh, that makes sense. I'm glad I found another quality comedy podcast to complement Magic Tavern.

I tried out Within the Wires. I was really liking it the whole way through. I have no idea why it needs a second season though. They could have easily wrapped that up in one season.

The Orbiting Human Circus was great fun for its first season too. I have no idea if it was some kind of meme/joke but the janitor can not sing at all. Like, the dude is almost tone deaf and they're apparently selling an album of him singing?

So ep 56 of The Magnus Archives surprisingly creeped me out
spiders pouring out of her mouth
and ep 57 was as fucked up as I thought it would be once I read the premise; seriously need some more space horror in podcasts, it's so under done and has so much potential. ep 57 also showed how good Johnathon is at not only writing but voice acting (dude has some range).

Sulik2

Ahhh, that makes sense. I'm glad I found another quality comedy podcast to complement Magic Tavern.

I tried out Within the Wires. I was really liking it the whole way through. I have no idea why it needs a second season though. They could have easily wrapped that up in one season.

The Orbiting Human Circus was great fun for its first season too. I have no idea if it was some kind of meme/joke but the janitor can not sing at all. Like, the dude is almost tone deaf and they're apparently selling an album of him singing?

So ep 56 of The Magnus Archives surprisingly creeped me out
spiders pouring out of her mouth
and ep 57 was as fucked up as I thought it would be once I read the premise; seriously need some more space horror in podcasts, it's so under done and has so much potential. ep 57 also showed how good Johnathon is at not only writing but voice acting (dude has some range).

I really enjoyed the last few episodes. I thought they fell into a trap this season of spending way too long establishing backstory before getting into the creepy stuff and they have been course correcting on that midseason. Both were great episodes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The Alice Isn't Dead Season Opener was very good. I feel like the Disparition work in this podcast is vastly superior to the one on Night Vale too. Haunting shit.

Yeah, I've been listening to so many podcasts, and doing other stuff, that either audiodramas besides Bright Sessions and Magic Tavern have kind of been phased out, and haven't really found any new ones that have grabbed me,

Skittles

I really enjoyed the last few episodes. I thought they fell into a trap this season of spending way too long establishing backstory before getting into the creepy stuff and they have been course correcting on that midseason. Both were great episodes.
Yeah, some great stuff going on in that show recently. In relation to the point you made about too much backstory and not enough horror, my biggest gripe about Knifepoint Horror is that it spends wayyyyyyy too long setting up something creepy and then not delivering. It also suffers from some stories not really being horror. I still like it though. Funnily enough, when I finished catching up on Knifepoint the dude dropped a 2hr episode after like a year haha.

The Alice Isn't Dead Season Opener was very good. I feel like the Disparition work in this podcast is vastly superior to the one on Night Vale too. Haunting shit.
I just picked up Alice isn't Dead a few weeks ago and phew, it's real good stuff. The story telling style here is pulled off way better than what Mabel is doing (at least for me).

Yeah, I've been listening to so many podcasts, and doing other stuff, that either audiodramas besides Bright Sessions and Magic Tavern have kind of been phased out, and haven't really found any new ones that have grabbed me,
Try Alice isn't Dead if you haven't already, it's good stuff.

So after finishing Knifepoint Horror and going through No Sleep currently. Is there anything like them without being really cheesy like No Sleep is at sometimes?

Great list. Could you include some serial narrative non-fiction titles in the next OP please? I've recently listened to Fruit (by Issa Rae), which is great. I really want to hear some more audio dramas based on true stories.

Edit: I mean audio drama series. I'm not a fan of short stories.

Malyse

Great list. Could you include some serial narrative non-fiction titles in the next OP please? I've recently listened to Fruit (by Issa Rae), which is great. I really want to hear some more audio dramas based on true stories.

Edit: I mean audio drama series. I'm not a fan of short stories.

You want non fictional podcasts listed in the FICTIONAL podcasts OT?
nah-man.gif

There's a Podcast OT already.

Top Bottom