• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fictional Podcasts |OT| - "You mean it isn't real?"

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm currently listening to the Night Vale / Thrilling Adventure Hour crossover and I'm legit disappointed it does not involve anyone from the Beyond Belief cast. Like, it's more obvious to do a crossover with the horror spoof than with the space western gang.

This sounds interesting. Saw it described as podcast's Game of Thrones
Tumanbay
Tumanbay, heart of a vast empire, is threatened by a rebellion and a mysterious force devouring the empire from within. Epic saga inspired by the Mamluk slave dynasty of Egypt.

This one seems like it might interest listeners of The Bright Sessions
The Elysium Project
The story follows those pulled into the world of a powerful formula that allows its subjects to manipulate the world around them based on thought and desire.

Natiko

Banned
Listened to the first few episodes of The Bridge. I like the voice work, but I find myself thoroughly confused about what's happening and not in a good way.

Really loving Magnus Archives, the episodes are consistently intriguing, eerie, and well produced, it has jumped over NoSleep as my favorite fictional podcast and is much better than Darkest Night.

Skittles

Newest magnus archives is interesting because
it shows how much gertrude knows compared to john and they have the same position. If the higher ups in the institute are ok with her knowing all that, I wonder what she found out to get her shot. Maybe john is withheld information because they see it as a danger now.
Gonna be quite the intriguing season 2.

Skittles

Last day to vote for your fav fictional podcasts of the year.

Man, ep 59-dr. wade from "hello from the magic tavern" almost ruined the entire series for me.

Last day to vote for your fav fictional podcasts of the year.

Man, ep 59-dr. wade from "hello from the magic tavern" almost ruined the entire series for me.
It should definitely be extended till the mid or end of January. Most of the best of 2016 threads end in mid January

The new Magnus Archives is really good and
moves the overarching story along in some very interesting way. "House of Leaves"-esque impossible architecture is terrifying in a dread-inducing existential way

Wow it already beat it's goal.
Now almost 200% funded

moves the overarching story along in some very interesting way. "House of Leaves"-esque impossible architecture is terrifying in a dread-inducing existential way

Now almost 200% funded

It was pretty great and creepy.
I'm starting to think that the Lucas family is into some weird shit and uses the archives to collect data and stories on any opposing forces.

I love the moment when I read each new episode's description when it drops and i get to chuckle in sarcastic pity for each new statement-giver.

"oh you poor bastard, you're
studying mosquitoes
in a horror story"
"oh you poor bastard, you're starring in a
house of leaves
episode"
"oh you poor bastard, you've got a
leitner book
and it's gonna be awesome."

Voror

Yeah, new episode was definitely a good one and
Michael was suitably creepy with indications he's not all that benevolent. He says he's neutral but it sort of sounds like he essentially lured that poor woman there. I was wondering if we were going to see a follow up where she'd disappeared until he asked John which door she'd left through.

I'm mixed on the idea of there being some sort of war for all this. Not sure why. I mean we already had forces apparently intending to kill archivists, which seemed enough to me without something even bigger.

Sulik2

The Magnus Archives is rapidly turning into my favorite piece of ongoing fiction. The story telling is so freaking good. They really need to start a Patreon.

Chorazin

I feel like Hello from the Magic Tavern has picked up steam again, after the (thankfully short lived) misstep which was
Usidore's Death

This last episode was great, and sort of melancholic at the end, which I didn't expect.

Sulik2

I feel like Hello from the Magic Tavern has picked up steam again, after the (thankfully short lived) misstep which was
Usidore's Death

This last episode was great, and sort of melancholic at the end, which I didn't expect.

I listened to every episode until the recent dwarf episode, that episode was so bad it killed my entire interest in the podcast. Chunt just isn't funny anymore. They followed up the amazing Felecia Day episode with that... Has it gotten better in the last six weeks or so?

Chorazin

I listened to every episode until the recent dwarf episode, that episode was so bad it killed my entire interest in the podcast. Chunt just isn't funny anymore. They followed up the amazing Felecia Day episode with that... Has it gotten better in the last six weeks or so?

I liked the Dwarf episode.....

Underwood and Flinch is great, just finished.

I listened to Wyrmwood years ago and loved it, but be forewarned, the audio quality is horrendous, I guess that's the mixing? One minute it's too low, next minute it's way too damn loud. I toughed through it though. Crowe is the man.

Malyse

Underwood and Flinch is great, just finished.

I listened to Wyrmwood years ago and loved it, but be forewarned, the audio quality is horrendous, I guess that's the mixing? One minute it's too low, next minute it's way too damn loud. I toughed through it though. Crowe is the man.

You have good taste. Those are two recs people never take me up on; I would totes KS more Wormwood (though I don't know where it would go).

Skittles

Yes, Resonance Stone and Magic Turkey were both pretty great. The latest episode with
sarah
was also good.

Just finished Limetown, holy shit what a cocktease. Why in the fuck would you not follow it up with a second season after that? That's just money on the table and now the hype won't be there if a second season happens in the next 2ish years(apparently they're going to try doing a TV pitch with limetown, which I don't think would work well at all).

The Bright Sessions has been consistently fantastic. It's at a point where numerous plot threads are smashing into each other making the wait feel even longer. I wonder how long they plan to keep it going though. I think they could get away with one more season

Malyse

Yes, Resonance Stone and Magic Turkey were both pretty great. The latest episode with
sarah
was also good.

Just finished Limetown, holy shit what a cocktease. Why in the fuck would you not follow it up with a second season after that? That's just money on the table and now the hype won't be there if a second season happens in the next 2ish years(apparently they're going to try doing a TV pitch with limetown, which I don't think would work well at all).

The Bright Sessions has been consistently fantastic. It's at a point where numerous plot threads are smashing into each other making the wait feel even longer. I wonder how long they plan to keep it going though. I think they could get away with one more season

I think Lauren has lots of ideas.

I'm going to ask her.

Lach

Great episode of Magnus Archives, though something felt off about Michael. A bit too heavily acted maybe? Can't put my finger on it.

Don't know if I'm allowed to talked about it as it's behind a paywall, but the first episode of "Offices & Bosses" was great!

Chorazin

sarah
was also good.

I would have loved them to keep that going for more episodes. Would have put a very cool twist into the series, but with
Usidore and her being linked now
i think we're gonna have some funny stuff down the road.

Skittles

I would have loved them to keep that going for more episodes. Would have put a very cool twist into the series, but with
I hope that Usidore
goes into the wizard state but mumbles smash mouth lyrics

I think Lauren has lots of ideas.

I'm going to ask her.
Wait, who's lauren?

Phyranion

I kinda respect the creators for it. Their big dream is to produce a TV show, and here is their one shot at making that dream reality. Will it become reality? Probably not, but I can't blame them for trying. Still, I want that second season really bad. I probably wouldn't have started listening to audio dramas if it hadn't been for Limetown.

Natiko

Banned
I agree, I was kind of bummed they didn't stick with it awhile.

Skittles

Great day for podcasts. New uncanny county, archive 81, and the magnus archives.

I highly recommend Archive 81 if you're into the magnus archives. While not as great, it's still pretty good. Its story is just ramping up too.
I will say that the tone is closer to the magnus archives now. It got a lot more dark with the start of the second season

Someone in the voting thread described Uncanny County pretty perfectly. It's pretty much a new-age Twilight Zone with stories centered around a small county. Highly recommend even if the acting can sometimes be flatish

This week's magic tavern was pretty great. Feel like the hosts are flowing better than previous weeks. Plus it's always funny when one of them tests another person's improv skills.

Malyse

I hope that Usidore
goes into the wizard state but mumbles smash mouth lyrics

Wait, who's lauren?

Lauren Shippen. The nice lady who makes the show.

Me said:
Do you know how many seasons TBS is going to go? Or rather do you have a planned number of seasons? Thinking about it, the concept is pretty evergreen; you can always introduce new characters to start a new arc up. In any case, big fan of the show. It's gone from very good to excellent. 😍

Lauren said:
This is….a question. That I’m not sure I want to answer. I had definitely imagined a finite number of episodes for this particular iteration of the podcast and, at the moment, it looks like we’ll be sticking to that. I say particular iteration because, as you said, there are lots of possibilities in this world. People are always asking if we’ll see more of this power or that character or that aspect of the universe but, for me, The Bright Sessions has always been about Dr. Bright, Sam, Caleb, and Chloe. Obviously, it’s expanded beyond that, but it is still very much on that core group. If we were to expand outside of that in the podcast sphere, I think it would be a different show.

I have no immediate plans to leave this universe, but I don’t want us to overstay our welcome with any one version/medium/character combination. Stay tuned.

Skittles

Lauren Shippen. The nice lady who makes the show.
I got really confused because I thought it was Limetown not Bright Sessions haha. I understand now. What she says makes sense. To expand upon my original post, I meant to say I could only see the current plot thread lasting another season(excluding this one). After that they'd
have to cover the doctor's parents or something. It'll be interesting to see where they go after mark is back.

Wowzers, the newest episode of Magic Tavern was fantastic. Love how they've been mixing it up recently.
I was not expecting them all to go to the dungeon and actually get the lunar sword. Seems like they're possibly gearing up for an ending to the podcast, or they want to get rid of all the lingering plot threads (dark lord, lunar sword, etc).
When arnie
"killed" the 14 year old girl I died laughing. Most of the Ooze stuff was great too.
Lots of fun little moments throughout the episode

This series is now available on iTunes and elsewhere
Does anyone listen to The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium? It's not super accessible since it's only available through Howl but damn, it's some hysterical classical satire from Jemaine Clement in the vein of Jonathan Swift and a compelling story in its own right.

Fancolors

Archive 81 is getting so weird.

I love it.

Only problem I have with it is having to remind myself this has no relation to The Deep Vault. I thought I was listening to the wrong podcast at the beginning of the first EP this season because the actors are the same .

Top Bottom