• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fictional Podcasts |OT| - "You mean it isn't real?"

Malyse

So.

Back when I started this thread, I had no way of anticipating that I would find such an overwhelming number of podcasts. Because of this, I've decided to reorganize this for better consumption. I'll be separating this into sections:

Narrative Drama Part I Part II
Podcast Novel - single reader Part I Part II
Podcast Novel - partial cast
Podcast Novel - full cast
Anthology/Production Companies
Unsorted Part I Part II

But before we get started, this is my personal list of 50 recommendations:
  • Limetown
  • Welcome to Night Vale
  • Thrilling Adventure Hour
  • Wormwood
  • The Leviathan Chronicles
  • The Byron Chronicles
  • The Bright Sessions
  • Decoder Ring Theatre
  • The Gearheart
  • We're Alive
  • The Metamor City Podcast/The Raven and the Writing Desk
  • Prometheus Radio Theatre
  • The Secret World Chronicle
  • Playing for Keeps
  • The Truth
  • Wolf 359
  • Wooden Overcoats
  • EOS 10
  • The Dreamer's Thread
  • The Blacklist Table Reads
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • The Kingery
  • Chatterbox Audio Theater
  • Trader Tales
  • FETIDUS
  • Alba Salix, Royal Physician
  • Alice isn't Dead
  • Archive 81
  • ars PARADOXICA
  • Audio Dime Museum
  • Beef and Dairy Network
  • Edict Zero FIS
  • King Falls AM
  • Mars Corp
  • Our Fair City
  • Paralyzed
  • PleasureTown
  • Powder Burns
  • Roswell B.C.
  • Sable
  • SAYER
  • Star Trek Outpost
  • Tale: A Knight Adrift
  • The Age of Swords
  • The Bridge
  • The Cleansed
  • The Deep Vault
  • Tne Grayscale
  • The Magnus Archives
  • Tincture

I've listened to all of these so ask me about them.

Bold is complete

Narrative Dramas:

The Once and Future Nerd
When three high school students from modern-day Pennsylvania find themselves trapped in a world of wizards, elves, and feudal intrigue, they must learn to survive in their new surroundings, and undertake an epic quest to save the world from the encroaching forces of chaos. WARNING: This Audio Drama contains adult language, graphic descriptions of violence, and explicit discussions of sexuality. This is, of course, in the interest of historical realism. We hope you enjoy our story about wizards and elves.
  • Genre: Comedy
We're Alive
For Army Reserve Soldier Michael Cross, the world as he knew it ended in an instant. One minute, he's in college, and in the next, rioters are roaming the highway around him, breaking into cars, and literally tearing people apart. This is the day the dead walk. This is the world of We're Alive. We’re Alive is an ongoing series, packing performances and sound effects that rival movies and prove that modern audio drama is undead and well. Join our survivors as they band together, struggle to fortify a safe haven known as the Tower, and discovers that zombies are far from the worst thing in a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles where the rules of human decency no longer apply. Little food. Little water. Little hope. Who is lucky enough to say "We're Alive?"
  • Genre: Horror
Liberty: Critical Research
Liberty: Critical Research is a serialized audio drama set within the universe of the sci-fi comic book series, Liberty! Follow Dr. Kovski’s team into the Fringe, a lawless sector of the war-torn space colony Atrius. Any sacrifice must be made to ensure the ultimate goal: that Atrius Endures
  • Genre: Sci Fi
Second Shift
Second Shift follows an ambitious, character-centric story arc about three college students from Boston who find themselves "shifted" against their will to another world. They must find their place in that world while trying to return to theirs. If you've just found Second Shift, please be sure to start with episode one: "Everything to Everyone, Part 1"!
  • Genre: Fantasy
EOS 10
EOS 10 is the story of two maladjusted doctors and their medical team aboard an intergalactic travel hub on the edges of deep space — along with a deposed prince who's claimed the foodcourt kitchen as his new throne.
  • Genre: Sci Fi Comedy
King Falls AM
King Falls AM centers on a lonely little mountain town's late-night AM talk radio show and its paranormal, peculiar happenings and inhabitants. That's 660 on the radio dial.
  • Genre: Paranormal Radio Show. NOTE: Does not break immersion
Limetown
Ten years ago, over three hundred men, women and children disappeared from a small town in Tennessee, never to be heard from again. In this seven-part podcast, American Public Radio host Lia Haddock asks the question once more, "What happened to the people of Limetown?"
  • Genre: Investigative Serialized fiction. NOTE: Does not break immersion
SAYER
SAYER is a narrative fiction podcast set on Earth’s man-made second moon, Typhon. The eponymous SAYER is a highly advanced, self-aware AI created to help acclimate new residents to their new lives, and their new employment with Ærolith Dynamics.
  • Genre: Horror/Dark Comedy
TANIS
Tanis is a bi-weekly podcast from the creators of Pacific Northwest Stories, and is hosted by Nic Silver. Tanis is a serialized docudrama about a fascinating and surprising mystery: the myth of Tanis. Tanis is an exploration of the nature of truth, conspiracy, and information. Tanis is what happens when the lines of science and fiction start to blur...
The Black Tapes
The Black Tapes is a weekly podcast from the creators of Pacific Northwest Stories, and is hosted by Alex Reagan. The Black Tapes Podcast is a serialized docudrama about one journalist's search for truth, her enigmatic subject's mysterious past, and the literal and figurative ghosts that haunt them both. Do you believe?
The Bright Sessions
Dr. Bright provides therapy for the strange and unusual; their sessions have been recorded for research purposes. The first season follows three patients discovering and coping with the atypical realities of their lives.
  • Genre: Fictional Therapy Sessions. NOTE: Does not break immersion
The Message
The Message is a new podcast following the weekly reports and interviews from Nicky Tomalin, who is covering the decoding of a message from outer space received 70 years ago. Over the course of 8 episodes we get an inside ear on how a top team of cryptologists attempt to decipher, decode, and understand the alien message. Each week she’ll bring you the latest chapter, so it’s important to listen in starting with Episode 1.
  • Schedule: Show has ended. Unless there is an unanticipated second season.
Welcome to Night Vale
Twice-monthly community updates for the small desert town of Night Vale, featuring local weather, news, announcements from the Sheriff's Secret Police, mysterious lights in the night sky, dark hooded figures with unknowable powers, and cultural events. Turn on your radio and hide. Welcome to Night Vale.
  • Genre: Dark Comedy
Wolf 359
Life's not easy for Doug Eiffel, the communications officer for the U.S.S. Hephaestus Research Station, currently on Day 448 of its orbit around red dwarf star Wolf 359. He's stuck on a scientific survey mission of indeterminate length, 7.8 light years from Earth. His only company on board the station are stern mission chief Minkowski, insane science officer Hilbert, and Hephaestus Station's sentient, often malfunctioning operating system HERA. He doesn't have much to do for his job other than monitoring static and intercepting the occasional decades-old radio broadcast from Earth, so he spends most of his time creating extensive audio logs about the ordinary, day-to-day happenings within the station. But the Hephaestus is an odd place, and life in extremely isolated, zero gravity conditions has a way of doing funny things to people's minds. Even the simplest of tasks can turn into a gargantuan struggle, and the most ordinary-seeming things have a way of turning into anything but that.
  • Genre: Space-faring adventure character drama absurdist sitcom
Wooden Overcoats
On the overlooked Channel Island of Piffling, obstinate undertaker Rudyard Funn runs his family’s failing funeral parlour. But when new and sexy undertaker Eric Chapman sets up shop across the square and becomes an immediate sensation, Rudyard realizes he’ll have to take drastic steps to stay in business.
  • Genre: British Comedy
The Night Blogger
You don't have to believe the stories on my blog, you can dismiss them as good hallucinations or bad fiction if you want to but they're all true. The darkness was never empty, there are things that wait for the innocent and unwary to turn their backs. What is it you think I'm talking about here? Ghosts? Vampires? Ghouls? If only it were that simple. The creatures of the night are still out there but they're not shadowing your every footstep. They just check your status updates from the comfort of their tombs. All I ever wanted was to be a Do-It-Yourself style reporter but more often than I like I find myself becoming part of my stories. It turns out gods and monsters don't like their secrets getting out any more than your standard politician or celebrity. We all know how this is going to turn out in the end; I'm already long overdue for jail, the looney bin or a guest of honor spot at a monster buffet but until that fateful day I'm not going to back down or give up. My name is Brian Foster and some people call me The Night Blogger. But I wish they wouldn't it's kinda cheesy.
  • Schedule: I honestly could not tell you.
Metamor City/The Raven and the Writing Desk
The Metamor City Podcast was a sci-fi/fantasy audio fiction series that ran from 2007 to 2010, with some additional content in early 2011. It is distributed for free through this website. It features a mixture of short stories and full-length novels, all taking place in one large world with an overarching story arc. Combining the narration of audiobooks with the music and sound effects of a serial radio drama, The Metamor City Podcast provided an immersive audio experience of a world like no other.

Recently, the podcast relaunched as the Raven and the Writing Desk and has begun rebroadcasting where the story left off.
  • Genre: Futuristic Fantasy
NOTE: You'll have to listen to the first few episodes online or download them. They aren't in the feed. Also thus show is sexually explicit as well as brutally violent. It doesn't shy away from things like murder, rape, or anything else.
HG World
A small town riding out a global zombie uprising from inside the walls of a massive House and Garden warehouse in the rurals of north-central Pennsylvania.
  • Genre: Zombie Horror
Note: Explicit. I dropped this. This is what I thought We're Alive was going to be.
CrimeWAV S1&S2
CrimeWAV S3
CrimeWAV.com is a new podcast series of crime short stories by some of today's best contemporary writers in the genre. Call it detective fiction, hard boiled, action, mystery, whatever you want. This is the place for the stories you'll love!
  • Genre: Crime
Note: Explicit, short stories
The Takeover
If you've ever worked with corporate zombies, then you've experienced The Takeover. Web designer Maureen and her friends struggle to adapt to their new work environment as coworkers from Zombinc, the zombie staffing company, come to work with them. Language barriers, arguments over the contents of the work fridge, and what a "promotion" really means are all addressed in this "Shaun of the Dead" meets "The Office" audiodrama.
  • Genre: Horror Comedy
Note: Explicit, hilarious
A Different Point of View
Originally aired as a segment for Michael and Evo's Wingin' It! podcast, A Different Point of View is a series of essays about the Star Wars Universe as seen through the eyes of lowly sandtrooper, TD-0013. It takes everything you thought you knew about the Star Wars saga and flips it around to expose the ugly underbelly of the Rebellion, The Jedi, and everything else.
  • Genre: The truth about Star Wars
Note: hilarious
Alice Isn't Dead
A truck driver searches across America for the wife she had long assumed was dead. In the course of her search, she will encounter not-quite-human serial murderers, towns literally lost in time, and a conspiracy that goes way beyond one missing woman.
  • Genre: Dark Comedy
Amazing Pulp Adventures Starring Mister Adventure
Do you like Old Time Radio? Do you like Giant Robots? Do you like Heroes tha fight against Nazis? Then Mister Adventure is for you! Old Time Radio, New Time Tech
  • Genre: Pulp Adventure
The Byron Chronicles
Imagine if the world as you know it, was nothing more than an illusion. What if creatures like elves, dragons, vampire, zombies and werewolves walk amongst you every day. But you never see them. This is the world I walk in. I am called Byron. And these are my chronicles.
  • Genre: Modern Gothic Fantasy

Edict Zero - FIS
EDICT ZERO – FIS is a science fiction audio drama series created by Jack Kincaid and produced by Slipgate Nine Entertainment, a not-for-profit endeavor dedicated to the release of free speculative fiction media.

This is a strict modern audio drama, devoid of narrative. The story is cyberpunk, being a mix of science fiction, law enforcement procedural, crime, suspense/mystery, and dark fantasy. Listeners have made comparisons to Bladerunner, The X Files, Fringe, Lexx, The Prisoner, Twin Peaks, Millenium, The Matrix, Tron, and a diversity of shows. Have a listen for yourself and make your own decision.

In this show, you’ll hear a stereo soundscape of professional technical quality. This is an orchestration of talented voice actors, extensively employed sound effects, and meticulous musical layering to create the movie-in-the-mind experience to which many shows aspire.
  • Genre: Cyberpunk
Elite: Escape Velocity
Escape Velocity is a new full-cast audio science-fiction serial, written and produced by Christopher Jarvis and The Radio Theatre Workshop, based on the video game Elite: Dangerous.

Join the mysterious Commander Thane as he is thrown across the universe on an unexpected adventure, fighting to stay alive amid the plotting of desperate, greedy and dangerous factions.
The Elysium Project
The Elysium Project is an independently produced audio drama series created and produced by Natalie Van Sistine.

The story follows those who are pulled into the world of a powerful formula that allows it's subjects to manipulate the world around them based on thought and desire.
  • Schedule: slowly
  • Best to start from: The beginning
The Gearheart
Artifice
Maiden Flight of the Avenger
Fires in the Snow
Jonathan Andrews, Initiate in the Seekers of the Arcane Unknown, joined the society two years ago with the hopes of protecting the secrets of magic from the greedy world beyond. However, a ravening shadow appears with a hunger for Seekers and Jonathan finds himself out of his depth. When Jonathan's friend is attacked and the young initiate is assailed with apocalyptic visions of the future, he must find a way to uncover the past and stop the beast before it tears his group, and the world, asunder. It's a ripping tale of magic, adventure and gunfights!
  • Genre: Magical Steampunk
GothHaus
HorrorAddicts.net presents, GothHaus, the comedy reality show with a deadly twist. GothHaus is about a group of Goths, picked to live in a haunted house by an eccentric artist who wants to teach the world what being Goth is really about. The mini-sode audiodrama that has been called "The Addams Family on speed" and "Saturday Night Live meets Elvira" is offered up for your pleasure
  • Genre: Trash
  • Schedule: slowly
  • Best to start from: Don't.
The Leviathan Files
In the year 2186, Commander Sela Shepard activated the Crucible over planet Earth, destroying the Reaper threat to galactic life. Five years of reconstruction later, and a new threat looms on the horizon. Documents detailing the origin of the reapers and citing the technological gains discovered by Cerberus fanatics have gone missing just as a rise in political pressure from a joint alliance of Batarian, Vorcha, and Yahg threatens to disrupt Council programs to reconnect the Mass Relays which greatly facilitate galactic travel. To those with sufficient clearance to access them, these documents are known simply as... The Leviathan Files.
  • Genre: Fanfic Drama
The Martians Are Here
This is the story of five strangers at the end of the world. Overnight the population of the earth is reduced to less than 2 billion as the cities of the world go missing. Mickey, Jones, Jim, Sarah and Shaun will need to be resourceful in ways they never imagined to stay alive on an earth that has suddenly become hostile. The key lies in solving the mystery of where the cities have gone. If they survive that long.

The Martians Are Here – 34 Episodes that take the characters from the Hawkesbury district of Sydney to Florida and the west coast of the US to the Yukon and British Columbian areas of Canada, to Mars and beyond.

Combining mystery, monsters and exploration of the human spirit, the series builds up to the final climax where the real monsters are revealed.

TMAH has a fully original musical score (over eight hours of music), Rick produced all the voices (and many of the sound effects) himself and we have a host of australian, alien and other characters.

Oh and it has martians.
Some Other Scotland
A podcast story of ancient advanced civilisations, clan wars and conspiracy in an alternative modern Scotland.
  • Genre: Speculative Alt Fiction
  • Schedule: Complete
Note: This podcast was brilliant. Every week, they would take votes for various IRL stories to integrate into the wider ongoing narrative. This made the fiction of story imitate the life of that time in Scotland. It's a great concept and one that could work in a number of different mediums, albeit a labor intensive one.
Space Casey
Some heroines will steal your heart. This one will steal your wallet.
  • Genre: Space Drama
Squadron Leader Jack Steel and The Starblade
Set in 1936, Squadron Leader Jack Steel & The Starblade is a twelve part podcast following the adventures of Jack Steel, Charlie Bilkins and Yvette du Lac as they protect earth from an evil alien threat.
Star Trek: Defiant
Star Trek: Defiant was an ongoing audio drama fan show produced by Pendant Productions.

The series followed the adventures of Captain Jeffrey Bridges and the crew of the USS Defiant.

The ship, and her crew, were later featured in an alternate timeline in the Darker Projects audio drama Star Trek: The Section 31 Files. This is, however, not considered canon to official Defiant storyline.

The show's history dates back to 1995, when Jeffrey Bridges and a groups of fellow Star Trek fans met online in an endeavor to start an online mailing list of Star Trek fan fiction. The crew consisted of the members on the list, and were stationed on the newly commissioned federation starship Defiant (NX-74205). This version of Defiant varies from the one featured in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, as it is the federation ship USS Sao Paulo recommissioned after the apparent destruction of the original USS Defiant.

Around 2003, a group on the mailing list discussed the possibility of remaking their fan stories into an audio drama. As a result, a new audio production company named Pendant Productions emerged. Since then, the old mailing list has been decommissioned, and the series has lived on as an audio drama.

On May 29, 2012, Pendant ceased production on all fan shows and voluntarily removed them from their website.
  • Genre: Star Trek
  • Best to start from: The beginning, assuming you can find the files

Malyse

Star Trek: The Continuing Mission
Continuing Mission follows the adventures of the USS Montana under the command of Starfleet veteran, Captain Paul Edwards. During the pilot episode the Montana is flung from its native time period of the 23rd century into the 24th and unable to get back. The crew, feeling a century out of date, choose to continue the one thing that is familiar, their Starfleet mission.

Star Trek: Excelsior
The U.S.S. Excelsior, fourth starship to bear the name, is on a two-year mission of exploration on the far side of the galaxy. Some would call this an honor for Commander Alcar Dovan and his young crew, especially coming so soon after the tragic death of Captain Cortez and so many veteran officers at Valandria. Certainly that's what Admiral Parker's telling the press. Those with a more cynical mindset — such as, oh, I don't know, Captain Dovan himself — would call it exile, a coverup designed to keep the Excelsior out of the public eye after their shocking, top-secret discovery of a terrifying threat to the entire galaxy.

But, as the dedication plaque says, "Wherever you go, there you are," and the Excelsior crew have thrown themselves into their frontier expedition with zest. Since passing through the ancient Iconian Gateway that sent them to this distant region of space, they have had less and less contact with Starfleet Command, and seen sights they could have never imagined. But why is this area so full of Iconian ruins? And why, after a quarter of a million years, are so many of them starting to show signs of life?
  • Schedule: Ongoing in Seasons.
  • Best to start from: They suggest season 4, but if you can forgive the low quality, I say start at the beginning. It doesn't take very long to improve in quality and I think the story outweighs the annoyances.

Star Trek: Shadows of Tyranny
Star Trek: Shadows of Tyranny is an independent audio production from Melting Clock Productions created by Mathieu Blondin and Sebastian Prooth. Star Trek: Shadows of Tyranny will pickup from the Star Trek TOS episode Mirror, Mirror. The series is being developed and produced by Mathieu Blondin and Sebastian Prooth (Star Trek: The Continuing Mission). Mr. Spock, influenced by the the conversation with Captain Kirk from Mirror Mirror, sets out to rid the galaxy of the Terran Empire and install himself in a position of power to change things for the better. Captain Kirk sees his first officer as a threat to his supremacy and vows to eliminate him. Listen to this six part series to learn what paved the way for the fall of the Terran Empire and rise of peace.
  • Schedule: on a long hiatus

Tales of the Extraordinary
The year is 1926...

...and the Roaring twenties are in full swing, filled with excess and adventure. Wondrous new discoveries take place on a daily basis, be they of lost civilizations or miraculous super-science. Anything seems possible. In Tales of the Extraordinary, anything is possible. Ancient mysticism, robotic automatons, masked vigilantes, or a chimp who thinks he's the Great Gatsby. Tales isn't the way things were. It's the way they should have been.
  • Schedule: irregular

Wormwood
Doctor Xander Crowe was a formidable psychologist until a terrible tragedy sent him spiraling down the dark pathways of the occult. Now, a strange vision leads Doctor Crowe to the hidden town of Wormwood, where shadows lurk in every corner and evil stains the souls of the inhabitants. Welcome to Wormwood.
  • Genre: Drama Horror

GRW810

I'm listening to Limetown. Only three episodes in but it's entertaining enough. Great premise, good script but the acting of the minor characters is bad.

The Truth is fantastic, been listening to it for nearly two years now. Ideal if you want to pick and choose stories to listen to. An anthology series dealing with all sorts of topics, tight scripts and really well produced.

I couldn't get into Night Vale. Loved the idea but it was just too quirky for my liking.

Thanks to this thread I've got a new bunch of series to check out.

Malyse

How to Succeed in Evil
Alternately funny and dark, How to Succeed in Evil is the story of Edwin Windsor, Evil Efficiency Consultant. A biting satire of both modern business and the conventions of the superhero genre. There are three portions: the original podcast series, the Novel series, and a prequel Novella. There is a third book not in free audio form.
  • Genre: Superhero satire.

Jack Wakes Up
What does a movie-star one-hit-wonder and ex-drug-addict do when he's cleaned up, down on his luck, and running out of money? In the three years since Jack Palms went clean - no drugs, no drinking, no life - he's added fourteen pounds of muscle, read 83 books, and played it as straight as anyone can ask him. Now, when an old friend from L.A. calls, he signs on to help a set of Eastern Europeans score enough coke to settle down and set up shop. All Jack has to do is keep them entertained and get them through their purchase. But when the plan runs into a few problems, and Jack starts getting phone calls from an old friend on the police force, he realizes that this business will take a lot more acting than he first assumed.
  • Genre: Crime Fiction
Note: Explicit

This is Life
Jack Is Back! Yes, Jack Palms is back to bring you more of the action, suspense and excitement that you came to expect from the hit podiobook Jack Wakes Up. In This Is Life, Jack Palms finds himself caught in a working relationship with none other than the San Francisco police. When one of their own gets killed and corruption invades the Hall of Justice, Sgt. Mills Hopkins hires Jack to poke around. Is Jack ready for his own brand of police work? Is San Francisco? Follow Jack as he tries to figure out if the life of a Private Eye fits him, hunts a cop-killer, and tries to solve a series of murders that leads him into the heart of San Francisco's sex trade.
Note: Explicit. Direct sequel to Jack Wakes Up.

Czechmate
This is where it boils down, eager listeners. Jack Palms is back out on the streets of San Francisco after a brief stint in the hospital, and he's ready to track down the man at the heart of the city's problems, Alexi Akakievich. With the Czechs back in town, Detective Shaw more pissed off than ever, and a new batch of thugs on the loose, everything's dialed up to eleven once again. Will Jack make it through this? Listen now to follow this action-packed, episodic ride through mayhem on the urban streets. Forces collide, wills clash, and you've got to hear this one to believe what Seth Harwood has cooked up now! Music once again from Madvillain. "Just remember all caps when you spell the man's name..."
Note: Explicit. Direct sequel to This is Life.

Triad Death Match
Jack Palms in Triad Death Match! You've waited long and hard for this. Now TDM is here and JACK is Back!! That's right, your boy Jack Palms has returned to you in Triad Death Match! Here Jack teams up with Jane Gannon of the SF bureau of the FBI. As the two look in on an illegal fighting tournament in San Francisco's Chinatown, they get much more than they bargained for. Spills, kills and plenty of thrills make this story a much listen for all the Palms Daddies and Palms Mommas in the land!
Note: Explicit. Direct sequel to Czechmate.

In Broad Daylight
FBI Agent Jess Harding always gets her man... or woman.

In this thriller, Harding returns to the scene of her first years as an FBI agent to track the still-at-large killer from her first case. Back in 2006, as a young, inexperienced agent, Harding chased leads across Alaska for a full summer without catching up with this killer. Now, after 5 years of honing her skills, she's back and ready to try again.

But when she starts to see that the killer knows a little something about her, the heat turns up and Harding realizes she may not be the only one getting chased.
Note: Explicit. Jack Palms prequel.

Young Junius
Before Jack Palms ever shook 'em down, Junius Ponds came up on tough streets of Cambridge, MA in 1987. In the middle of drugs, gang violence, and the toughest set of tower-projects you ever knew, Young Junius fights to escape the consequences of a murder he had to commit and tries to live long enough to avenge the death of his brother.
  • Genre: Crime
Note: Explicit. Jack Palms prequel.

Infected
Across America a mysterious disease is turning ordinary people into raving, paranoid murderers who inflict brutal horrors on strangers, themselves, and even their own families. Working under the government's shroud of secrecy, CIA operative Dew Phillips crisscrosses the country trying in vain to capture a live victim. With only decomposing corpses for clues, CDC epidemiologist Margaret Montoya races to analyze the science behind this deadly contagion. She discovers that these killers all have one thing in common - they've been contaminated by a bioengineered parasite, shaped by a complexity far beyond the limits of known science. Meanwhile Perry Dawsey - a hulking former football star now resigned to life as a cubicle-bound desk jockey - awakens one morning to find several mysterious welts growing on his body. Soon Perry finds himself acting and thinking strangely, hearing voices . . . he is infected. The fate of the human race may well depend on the bloody war Perry must wage with his own body, because the parasites want something from him, something that goes beyond mere murder.
  • Genre: Horror Mystery
Note: Explicit.

Contagious
From the acclaimed author of Infected comes an epic and exhilarating story of humanity’s secret battle against a horrific enemy. Across America, a mysterious pathogen transforms ordinary people into raging killers, psychopaths driven by a terrifying, alien agenda. The human race fights back, yet after every battle the disease responds, adapts, using sophisticated strategies and brilliant ruses to fool its pursuers. The only possible explanation: the epidemic is driven not by evolution but by some malevolent intelligence. Standing against this unimaginable threat is a small group, assembled under the strictest secrecy. Their best weapon is hulking former football star Perry Dawsey, left psychologically shattered by his own struggles with this terrible enemy, who possesses an unexplainable ability to locate the disease’s hosts. Violent and unpredictable, Perry is both the nation’s best hope and a terrifying liability. Hardened CIA veteran Dew Phillips must somehow forge a connection with him if they’re going to stand a chance against this maddeningly adaptable opponent. Alongside them is Margaret Montoya, a brilliant epidemiologist who fights for a cure even as she reels under the weight of endless horrors. These three and their team have kept humanity in the game, but that’s not good enough anymore, not when the disease turns contagious, triggering a fast countdown to Armageddon. Meanwhile, other enemies join the battle, and a new threat — one that comes from a most unexpected source — may ultimately prove the most dangerous of all.
  • Genre: Horror Sci-Fi
Note: Explicit. Sequel to Infected.

Crescent
Crescent is the ultimate sci-fi / horror mashup. It's a wicked blend of the claustrophobia seen in Ridley Scott's Alien, and the viral demonology of Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness with the hard-drinkin' bad attitude of Battlestar Galactica added for good measure. The future has never been so frightening.
  • Genre: Sci-fi Horror
Note: Explicit. I personally dropped this, but you might like it.

Peace Lord of the Red Planet
Shepherd Autrey is a Quaker, a physician, and a man deeply disturbed by the madness around him as the War Between the tates bears down on his America in 1863. Dared by a friend to take an active role, Shep volunteers to provide humanitarian aid to the victims of Sherman’s scorched earth campaign in the Shenandoah Valley. There he runs foul of a Confederate recruiting drive and finds himself hanged by the neck from a tree. Awakening in a strange land which can’t possibly be earth, Shep is plunged into battle and saves the life of an alien warrior prince. Hailed by bloodthirsty killers as the bravest man alive, Shep combats his conscience, his flagging faith, and an ever-growing number of people who want him dead.
  • Genre: Science Fantasy
  • Schedule: Ended
Note: Somewhat Explicit​

Nina Kimberly the Merciless
She's on a mission to kill the man who loves her. Why? Because he's an idiot. Ten years ago, Nina Kimberly the Merciless was cheated out of the life of adventure that she truly deserves. Her father, the fearsome barbarian conqueror Marcus the Merciless, met his first and only defeat at the hands of, well... a gopher hole. Ever since this epic humiliation, she and the rest of the horde have been stuck in the rural backwater kingdom of Langia. Now Francis IX, the idiotic king, has decided that he and Nina should be married. She can't kill him without starting a succession war, but the alternatives? Eww! Nina has long yearned for a hero to sweep her up on a glorious quest, but Francis' unwanted affections have forced her hand. No more waiting for a quest to find *her*, it's time to get proactive. She sets off into the big wide world, but the King decides to tag along, complete with a security spell to alert the Kingdom if he's killed. Nina is forced to swallow her pride and keep him safe... at least until she can find a way to break the spell. But nothing is ever simple in the life of a barbarian princess, and nothing is ever quite what it appears. The dragon is a pacifist (sometimes). The handsome rogue is a con-artist, but who is he conning? And even the wizard has a few surprises in store. While seeking the answer to all her problems, Miss the Merciless discovers that what she's always wanted may not actually be what she *wants*. *Nina Kimberly the Merciless* is a comic coming of age story filled with magic, mayhem and mercenaries, but mercy? Never.
Note: Fantastic story. DA BES.

The Pocket and the Pendant
WHEN TIME mysteriously stops, young Max Quick must travel across America to find the source of this 'temporal disaster'... Along the way, he and his companions encounter ancient mysteries, quantum Books, and clues to the riddle of stopped Time. But the more Max learns, the more it seems that his own true identity is not what he once believed...
  • Genre: Young Adult

The Two Travelers
Five quiet years have passed in Starland, California since the the time of the Pocket. But when a crazed old man shows up with a warning, Max, Casey, Ian and Sasha suddenly find themselves on the run. Max and Ian go through an Arch back to 1912, where a mysterious Machine is under construction that seems connected to Max’s unremembered secret. Meanwhile, Casey and Sasha follow the old man to the strange town of Arturo Gyp. But there is more afoot than meets the eye: the enemies of Mr. E - the nefarious Archons - are abroad. And when Max is at last eye-to-eye with his secret, he realizes nothing will ever be the same again...
  • Genre: Young Adult
Note: Direct sequel to The Pocket and the Pendant.

Dorothea's Song
Peter is your typical high school student, but when his mother's failing marriage to his stepfather begins to split his family apart he copes by dreaming up the story of Dorothea, an elf who lives in the magical Bois d'or forest. Seizing the opportunity to release his frustrations in his French teacher's nightly writing assignment, Peter shares Dorothea's story with his teacher, imagining a world in which a coven of witches, a renegade elf lord and the humans have joined forces to conquer the elvish forest. With the Bois d'or on the verge of being invaded, Dorothea and her friends embark on a quest to find the wizard Mohan who will help them save their homeland. But the witches have other plans. They have set the three ancient evils of Anger, Fear and Lust against Dorothea. Can Dorothea survive the three curses and find Mohan in time to save her homeland? Dorothea's fate is in Peter's hands, but as his mother's marriage deteriorates and his infatuation with his French teacher increases, he must find a way to rise above the insanity and save not only Dorothea's home but also his own.
  • Genre: Fantasy, Surreal

The Prophet of Panamindorah
Book I Fauns and Filinians
Book II Wolflings and Wizards
Book III Fire and Flood

Corry showed up at the orphanage two years ago, unable to remember how he’d gotten there. He spoke a language no one recognized, and he was afraid of cars and planes and computers. Corry can remember snippets of another life, but no matter how hard he tries to remember, it just keeps slipping away. Then one day, he meets a fauness in an orange grove. She’s from a world called Panamindorah, and he can understand her language. In addition, Corry can read a language that no one in Panamindorah has been able to read for three hundred years; has he really been gone that long? Now he must recover his lost memories and rebuild his life, because the person who tried to kill him once is about to try again.
  • Genre: Fantasy Trilogy
Note: I almost dropped this. I'm glad I didn't because it gave me background for Guild of the Cowry Catchers.

The Guild of the Cowry Catchers
:
Book 1: Embers
Book 2: Flames
Book 3: Ashes
Book 4: Out of the Ashes
Book 5: Shores Beyond the World
An honorable prince. A jaded assassin. Can they work together to catch a pirate? Those with paws eat those with hooves. This is what the wyvern gods of Wefrivain teach. The fauns of the islands are the slaves and food animals of their paw-footed counterparts, and the wyverns maintain the hierarchy. In return, wyverns are fed and worshiped. These days, however, faun pirates are spreading new ideas. Their charismatic leader, Gwain, has taught them to kill wyverns, and they are effectively killing off Temple Police. Gwain's pirates are starting to worry Morchella, the Priestess of the wyvern cult. She thinks she's found an answer in the person of Gerard Holovar, the new captain of her Temple Police. However, upon his promotion, Gerard strikes up a quarrel with Silveo Lamire, the admiral of Morchella's Temple ships and her second in command. Silveo has a reputation for cruelty, cunning, and a biting wit. He's a foxling - a minority species - and rumors say that he was once an assassin, who clawed his way to power from a childhood of poverty and abuse. He cultivates serial affairs with persons ranging from his own lieutenants to dock prostitutes. On the surface, Silveo could not be more different from Gerard - a member of the dominant species class, born to money and power, adhering to strict codes of honor, and devoted to his wife. When Gerard is promoted, Silveo is intimidated. Gerard's presence seems to jeopardize the position Silveo has painfully carved out for himself. Silveo threatens to kill Gerard if he stays with the Temple service. In spite of their differences, Morchella believes that Gerard and Silveo have between them the skills to catch Gwain. She orders them to work together. They make little progress until Silveo meets Gerard's wife, Thessalyn, and hears her sing. Silveo is generous to Thessalyn and vocal in his admiration of her talents. Gerard finds it difficult to hate anyone who is kind to his wife. The three of them develop a complex friendship that deepens as details from their pasts reveal that they have more in common than they thought.
Note: Explicit (eventually)

Trader Tales:
Quarter Share
Half Share
Full Share
Double Share
Captain's Share
Owner's Share
When Ishmael Wang is orphaned by a flitter crash, he must make some hard decisions about how to survive in a Company-owned universe. With limited time and fewer options, he lands a job as the newest hand on the Solar Clipper Lois McKendrick and learns there's more to life than making coffee. Join Ish, Pip, Big Bad Bev, and the rest of the Lois McKendrick's crew as they sail the galaxy in search of profitable trade.
  • Genre: Sci Fi Slice of Life
Note: Adult themes. I'm not listing the other synopses cause spoilers. There's a lot to this series (six books in this series, a trilogy in another series, a sequel series, and a short story thus far, plus everything else on this)

7th Son:
7 Days (Prequel Anthology)
Book One - Descent
Book Two - Deceit
Book Three - Destruction
OBSIDIAN
As America reels from the bizarre presidential assassination committed by a child, seven men are abducted from their normal lives and delivered to a secret government facility. Each man has his own career, his own specialty. All are identical in appearance. The seven strangers were grown--- unwitting human clones---as part of a project called 7th Son.
  • Genre: Horror Sci Fi Mystery

The Galactic Football League Series
The Rookie
The Starter
The All Pro
The MVP
The Champion
Side Stories
Title Fight
The Detective
The Reporter
The GFL is a series of books described as "Star Wars" meets "The Blindside" meets "The Godfather," a scifi/crime/sports mashup that follows a professional American football team across a far-future galaxy. Travel to new world, meet new races, and put their quarterback into the dirt.
  • Genre: Violent Football

A Long Way from Disney
Part I
Part II
It's the 1980s in Boston: the Celtics are rolling, the Patriots got crushed by the Bears, and the Sox are the Sox. Adam Berkman is learning how far from the warm feelings and epiphanies of Disney Americana his life can be when his parents get a divorce and he has to change schools almost every year. In this collection of linked stories, Seth Harwood takes you on a tour of Boston and its suburbs as he brings you more of the strong, clear writing you found in Jack Wakes Up.

In these stories you'll find frog murderers, slow dancers, lessons on basketball, fighting and how to defend your mother, as well as candy flippers, wiggers and portfolio managers, loves turning every direction imaginable -- maybe even good...
  • Genre: Autobiographical Fiction

Ancestor
Every five minutes, a transplant candidate dies while waiting for a heart, a liver, or a kidney. Imagine a technology that could provide those life saving organs for a nominal fee…..and imagine what a company would do to monopolize that technology.
  • Genre: Horror Sci Fi

The Coming Wrath
A world lost in time and history. The earth as it was before the world wide flood destroyed the face of the planet almost five thousand years ago. In the Coming Wrath, you will confront the problem of evil, and the core of evil that is rooted in your own heart.

You will experience the tsunami nightmare of the beautiful Madrazi. Why has she been chosen to become the wife of Shem, Noah’s oldest son? She soon learns that Noah received a vision of God deep in the forest. The evil of mankind has overwhelmed the world, and the Creator will now act in judgment by sending a global flood. She cannot believe that the Creator would bring judgment on all the people around her. Madrazi will be strong, and will help her husband start a new life after the prophecy fails.

You will meet Jared, the battle commander, who believes in honor, duty, and courage. He does not trust in merely taking refuge from the evil threats. Jared is determined to build up the army to defend his beloved city.

Sechiall is the young man adopted by Jared, brought up by him in the ways of military science. Sechiall has his own plan for the city, a plan to become King!

The Coming Wrath. You will walk with Madrazi, Jared, Sechiall, Noah, and many others, in this Lost World before the Flood. You will experience the hammering sounds of ark construction, the slaying of a dinosaur, one-on-one combat, men dying in battle, action on the high seas. Be with Madrazi as she meets the Creator in the depths of her soul.
  • Genre: Historical Fiction

ultron87

Great list! I need to check more of these out now that I've finally gotten current on Night Vale. The other one I've listened to, Thrilling Adventure Hour, and in particular the Sparks Nevada episodes, is also stupendous.

I like when the exact opposite of "you mean it isn't real?" happened in the Serial thread.

Just finished listening to this. Incredibly unsatisfying. Boring at points. Overrated.

Basically the whole thing boils down to he did it, he didn't do it, he did it, he didn't do it, rinse and repeat. Then at the very last episode they introduce completely new details that could have potentially made the whole thing pointless. Meh.

Edit: wait a second, was this actually a real event?

I really enjoy the Truth. The "Tape Delay" episode they played on TAL got me into it. They're interesting and quick enough to not lose momentum.
Thrilling Adventure Hour is great too. Beyond Belief is my favorite of theirs because Paul F. Tompkins is the best.

Sulik2

The Leviathan Chronicles was super disappointing. The first episode was this incredible submarine Cthulu feeling thing. Then it turned into super hero sci-fi three episodes in. :( Shame since the production quality is top notch.

Malyse

The Crypt Book 01: The Crew
It is the best-kept and worst-kept secret in the Planetary Union navy. The PUV James Keeling, a warship that does things that no other ship can do. It is a weapon, and a liability. The rumor is that eighty percent of the people assigned to the Keeling die before their two-year stint is up. That rumor is the reason for the ship's nickname -- The Crypt, a vessel full of the dead.

Those with a promising career, those with connections, those that can can avoid service on the Keeling do just that. But still, the ship must fight, and for that, it needs a crew. The navy assigns the worst of the worst: cowards, thieves, murderers, rapists or those with nowhere else to go, no way to opt out. Your choice is simple: be executed for your crimes, or serve two years on the keeling. If you make it out alive, your record is wiped clean and you get a fresh start.

For this crew of just over 100 souls, it will be the longest two years they have ever faced. What is this ship? Where did it come from? And why, oh, why, won't everyone stop screaming ..
  • Genre: Horror Sci Fi

The Emperor's Edge series
The Emperor's Edge
Dark Currents
Deadly Games
Imperial law enforcer Amaranthe Lokdon is good at her job: she can deter thieves and pacify thugs, if not with a blade, then by toppling an eight-foot pile of coffee canisters onto their heads.

But when ravaged bodies show up on the waterfront, an arson covers up human sacrifices, and a powerful business coalition plots to kill the emperor, she feels a tad overwhelmed.

Worse, Sicarius, the empire's most notorious assassin, is in town. He's tied in with the chaos somehow, but Amaranthe would be a fool to cross his path. Unfortunately, her superiors order her to hunt him down.

Either they have an unprecedented belief in her skills... or someone wants her dead.
  • Genre: Steampunk

The Dreamer's Thread
Everyone Dreams.

But what would you do if you suddenly found out that you were one of the few who creates dreams for the whole world? Would you use your power to harness the light and weave it into beautiful tapestries of magic and wonder, or would you fall prey to the seductive siren song of darkness and nightmares?

For tattoo artist Aura Mayville, this becomes a reality as she is ripped from her life of art and music and thrust into a realm where good and evil struggle for control over the minds and hearts of men.

With a sarcastic sorcerer, a mercenary, and her Spirit Guide as her only companions, Aura must journey through the dream realm to discover both her power and where her heart truly lies. In a place where anything is possible, can she find the strength to hold on to herself, or will she be lost to the shadows forever?

Guardians
Guardians is set in the near future and follows the life of a young girl, Kathy, who suffers a head injury which gives her some amazing psychic abilities, and then, through various extraordinary circumstances, ends up in a small town near Roswell, New Mexico. Along the way, she joins up with Megan, another psychic who is also being drawn to that same town.

When they arrive, Kathy is abducted by a UFO and after some alien technological wizardry, she gives birth to a hybrid baby. In the meantime, the aliens are surprised at how strong the psychic force is in some humans and fear that this power could destroy them, so they use the hybrid baby in a plot to wipe out the entire human race before anyone discovers they are here. Kathy dares to resist them and fights to save her hybrid child.

But in the end, it is the child, himself—half alien / half human—who will determine which race will live, and which will die.
  • Genre: Science Fiction

Afterlife Series
Season One: Heaven
Season Two: Hell
Season Three: Earth
Season Four: Wasteland
Season Five: War
What if Heaven wasn't all it's cracked up to be? Friends Kate and Daniel find that after their untimely deaths, Heaven leaves them dissatisfied and itching for something... else. So they're off, with a passport to discover more afterlifes, heroes and gods. During their adventures, they find out that their travel isn't a journey taken on a whim, but may be orchestrated, or even prophesied.
  • Genre: Magical Realism
There's a sixth book, but it's not on podio.

The Heavenfield
Nations, clandestine Government Agencies and Supernatural horrors, all these fight for supremacy, and the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

Welcome to The Heavenfield. The Battle has Begun...
  • Genre: Modern Fantasy

Noblesse Oblige series
The Hidden Institute
Invito Rex
Rising above your station can be deadly.

Cliffy is a child born on the streets of a Neo-Victorian world. Witnesses to a murder, he blackmails a nobleman, receiving a unique bribe. In exchange for his silence, the nobleman introduces him to the Malcolm Rutherford Holden Institute of Regentrification. There, Cliffy learns to walk, talk, and act like a nobleman, so that he may infiltrate high society. But that type of fraud is punishable by death, and when Cliffy uncovers a plot to assassinate a head of state, he's hunted by more than just the aristocracy.

Royal intrigue, daring escapes, sub-dermal machines, and bear polo. A grand adventure in a not-so-distant world.

Kissyman and The Gentleman
New York City, 1946. No one knows his real name, but when the job is too dirty, too dangerous, you call Kissyman. Once he was an elite Nazi SS commando, an honorable soldier, a taker of lives. When he was assigned to Dachau and saw what he was actual fighting for, he went AWOL and ran as far away as he could -- to America.

He still makes his living with a gun, but he no longer kills for his country. Now, he kills for cash.

A dashing, high-profile bodyguard known as “The Gentleman” is hired to protect Beth Copenhaver, an up-and-coming Hollywood starlet. When a man named Mathis Wren surfaces from Beth’s past and threatens her life, The Gentleman hires Kissyman to make Mathis see the error of his ways.

It should be a simple job, but there is far more to the connection between Wren and Beth than the bombshell lets on. She’s starring in a new movie with John Wayne called Western Dawn. As the premier approaches, Kissyman has to get to Wren before Wren can get to Beth.
  • Genre: Noir

Kronos
Two years after his wife's death, oceanographer and former navy SEAL, Atticus Young, attempts to reconcile with his rebellious daughter, Giona, by taking her on the scuba dive of a lifetime-swimming with a pod of peaceful humpback whales in the Gulf of Maine. But the beauty of the sea belies a terror from the deep-a horrific creature as immense as it is ancient. There is no blood, no scream, no fight. Giona is swallowed whole by the massive jaws. Only Atticus remains to suffer the shame of the survivor and his inconsolable grief turns to an unquenchable thirst for revenge.

Drawn by the spectacle, Trevor Manfred, a ruthless billionaire, approaches Atticus with a proposition: Trevor will make available all the advanced technology of his heavily armed mega-yacht, the Titan, to aid Atticus in his death-quest. In return, Trevor is to receive the beast's corpse as the ultimate hunting trophy. But in the midst of the hunt, Atticus makes a terrifying discovery that changes the way he sees the ocean's creatures and begs the question: what is Kronos? The answer sets him on a new and much more deadly course.

Marco and the Red Granny
By bringing back the patronage system, a new alien species has transformed the moon into the new artistic center of the universe, and Sally Ride Lunar Base soon gains the nickname “Mollywood.” These aliens can do amazing things with art and the senses, allowing a painting, for example, to stimulate other senses than simply sight. When someone asks a starlet, “Who are you wearing?” she could as easily say “J.K. Rowling” as she could “Gucci.”

Every creative person in the world wishes for a patronage. It’s quite competitive.

Marco wanted one, once. But then his girlfriend got one and shuttled off to Mollywood for fame and fortune, and Marco stayed home, waiting for his own patron. After several years, he gave up entirely. His career faltered. His agent dumped him. And then, one morning, he gets a call. At last he has a patron, at last the aliens want him. But he’s about to find out that an artistic patronage isn’t what it was in the good old days, and that the only friend he’s made, a tiny old woman who’s the star of a blood sports reality series called The Most Dangerous Game, has secrets of her own.

Nocturnal
Homicide detective Bryan Clauser is losing his mind. How else to explain the dreams he keeps having—dreams that mirror, with impossible accuracy, the gruesome serial murders taking place all over San Francisco? How else to explain the feelings these dreams provoke in him—not disgust, not horror, but excitement.

As Bryan and his longtime partner, Lawrence “Pookie” Chang, investigate the murders, they learn that things are even stranger than they at first seem. For the victims are all enemies of a seemingly ordinary young boy—a boy who is gripped by the same dreams that haunt Bryan. Meanwhile, a shadowy vigilante, seemingly armed with superhuman powers, is out there killing the killers. And Bryan and Pookie’s superiors—from the mayor on down—seem strangely eager to keep the detectives from discovering the truth.

Doubting his own sanity and stripped of his badge, Bryan begins to suspect that he’s stumbled into the crosshairs of a shadow war that has gripped his city for more than a century—a war waged by a race of killers living in San Francisco’s unknown, underground ruins, emerging at night to feed on those who will not be missed.

And as Bryan learns the truth about his own intimate connections to the killings, he discovers that those who matter most to him are in mortal danger…and that he may be the only man gifted—or cursed—with the power to do battle with the nocturnals.

Featuring a dazzlingly plotted mystery and a terrifying descent into a nightmarish underworld—along with some of the most incredible action scenes ever put to paper, and an explosive, gut-wrenching conclusion you won’t soon forget — Nocturnal is the most spectacular outing to date from one of the genre’s brightest stars.
  • Genre: Horror Science Fiction Urban Fantasy

Personal Effects: Sword of Blood
Brinkvale Psychiatric Hospital art therapist Zach Taylor is endlessly curious, perhaps to a fault. When his cheerful elderly patient Gertrude “Spindle” Spindler completes her latest quilt and informs Zach that a 30-year-old "grand design of nine" has just concluded, Zach’s curiosity is piqued ... and he soon embarks on a quest to unwind the meaning of the woman's cryptic phrase.

He isn't expecting a descent into a world filled with mystery and ruthless subcultures -- and he isn't expecting to be haunted by Spindle's coy clues. What is The Great Blade of Blood? What are The Charred? What is the grand design of nine? And who is the dark-skinned stranger stalking Zach at every turn, threatening his life?

The answers may lie in Spindle's granddaughter, a willowy self-proclaimed psychic named Hen. But Zach soon discovers that Hen may be crazier than the patients he treats ... and the treasure he's pursuing may be more dangerous -- and deadly -- than he ever imagined.
  • Genre: Mystery Thriller

Playing for Keeps
Playing for Keeps tells the story of Keepsie Branson, a bar owner in the shining metropolis of Seventh City: birthplace of super powers. Keepsie and her friends live among egotistical heroes and manipulative villains, and manage to fall directly in the middle as people with powers, but who just aren't strong enough to make a difference. Or that's what they've been told. As the city begins to melt down, it's hard to tell who are the good guys and who are the bad.
  • Genre: Superhero

Shadowmagic
The Prince of Hazel and Oak
"Hi, my name is Conor. Other than my father being a bit of an eccentric lunatic, my life was pretty normal until I got attacked in my living room and whisked away to Tir na Nog, the mystical land of the ancient Celts, where it turns out Dad is the usurped heir to the throne and everybody wants me dead because of some prophecy. Don't you just hate when that happens?"

Shadowmagic is a rip roaring fun fantasy adventure novel by John Lenahan very loosely based on Irish mythology where every chapter ends on the edge of a cliff (or at least a high curb.) Join Conor as he grapples with typical teenage problems like, how to deal with a father's high expectations, how to survive in the world on your own and how to woo a beautiful girl - that wants you dead.

The Seventh Mountain (Chronicles of a Magi, Book 1)
A dream, surreal and frightening, begins the path of 12 year old Mark Young's future; a path set long before he was even born. Fortunately, it's not a path he's doomed to walk alone. His course leads to true friends, fortune, and a place where he learns to wield great power.

This place is The Seventh Mountain, the place where Magi train. The Seventh Mountain conceals the direst legend known to man. Mark's fate lies within
  • Genre: Harry Potter for people offended by Harry Potter

Tales of the Left Hand
Book One
Book Two
In the tropical-island region known as the Frees, magic is growing stronger, and gunpowder is becoming less reliable. Amid this world of "swashbuckling, intrigue, and a dash of magic," two adventurers literally run into each other and are forced to fight together against pirates, sinister assassins and powerful merchant families, in the process developing a most unlikely friendship.

Tesca is the Left Hand, a spy and assassin serving the Duke of Kohaya, ruler of one of the independent realms within the Frees. Kayrla is a sailor and sometime pirate with a few magical tricks up her sleeve. While fleeing the wrath of her former captain, Kayrla collides with Tesca, who’s on a mission of his own, and her captain, assuming them to be partners, sics his crew on both of them. Cutting their way free of the pirates' wrath, the pair come to realize that they make a very effective team, but will their combined talents be enough to stop an assassin seeking the Duke’s life, and who appears to be more than a match for either Tesca’s blades or Kayrla’s magic?

Tincture, A Weird West Trilogy
Tincture, An Apocalyptic Proposition
Tincture And The Devil Pulls Six-Guns
Tincture And The Old King of New Nebraska
Grave robbing requires a corpse, so at most,
this was all just simple thievery.

Rhamuel and the last of his family, Abranyah, travel their barren world, shack to shack, selling tinctures to keep a full belly and evading the dogmatists to keep their throats safe. Time turned funny after The Whatever, an apocalyptic event that few remember and even fewer can explain, danger now as commonplace as the unrecognizable relics of war, and the madman Aphulan - along with an iron rule over his small township - may hold the answers. With a cure for The Sick and a duty to protect their family, Rhamuel and Abranyah set off on a journey to the "other place," the days before The Whatever, and ready themselves for a glimpse into what happened, and what was always meant to happen next.
  • Genre: Western
  • Schedule: Book 1&2 Complete, Book 3 bimonthly

Tumbler
Libby Carter wanted to get away from it all, so she took a job mining asteroids as far out into the inky blackness as possible. However, her escape turned into a trap, leaving her stuck in indentured servitude, living on a tiny rock in space. As she tries to dig herself out, she gains friends and finds adventure. Cave-in rescues, planetary collisions, and other mishaps keep her new family fighting to stay alive.

Veelk

Banned
Funny thing, I was literally just on the phone with another gaffer friend of mine and we discussed that we should start a fictional podcast. I agreed I'd start writing a script later today, and an hour after that, I find this thread. And I only discovered Night Vale yesterday too.

What level of coincidence is that?

Malyse

Chasing the Bard
Born into the human world with a gift; a gift that brings him to the attention of powers both dark and light from the World of the Fey, it is his burden to defend all the world. Sive, the goddess of battle, hopes that he may be able to change the fate
Note: Explicit

Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana
Morevi, a landlocked kingdom shrouded by jungles and mystery, falls under the rule of Askana Moldarin. In the dawn of this New Age, hidden traitors in her own regime threaten to destroy everything. The First Queen, independent of council, seeks help to reveal the conspiracy against her... Enter Rafe Rafton, captain of the Defiant.
  • Genre: Alternate Historical fantasy
Note: Explicit (rarely)

The Secret World Chronicle
Season One: Invasion
Season Two: The Hunt
Season Three: World Well Lost
Season Four: World Divided
Season Five: Waiting On
Tales of the Secret World War
Season Six: Revolutions
Season Seven: Run Silent, Run Deep
Season Eight: Collision
Emerging mysteriously during World War II, metahumans became icons of the best – and worst – humanity had to offer. Yet sixty years later, the world still suffers from war, greed and madness. Worse, man’s nadir of systematic cruelty returns with bizarre new weapons. The metahumans of Earth must find a way to defeat this powerful foe and discover what lurks behind the scenes – a secret world hidden from our own.
  • Genre: Superhero

Spherical Tomi: A Novel of Despair
A top-secret AI project.

A deadly power struggle between warlords.

Tomi was once lead combat programmer for the Shogun Ryogi, on the front lines of his conflict against President William the Black of Cerberus. When she failed to prevent William from killing the samurai she loved, she abandoned all sides, all loyalties, all hope. In her fury, Tomi destroyed the Greatship, Hades IV, and almost everyone onboard. Almost everyone. . .

William the Black escaped with his life.

She now hides out in a remote monastery, awaiting the day when she can kill the three she holds responsible for the death of her samurai: William, Ryogi, and herself. . .

With her real body in exile, Tomi's consciousness inhabits a deteriorating clone body on a satellite around Cerberus. She's lived and worked incognito in orbit for almost three years now, monitoring the planet's subspace debris cleanup.

But some histories will not stay buried.

Tomi again finds herself in the crossfire when Ryogi's forces ambush the Presidential shuttle in her sector.

Ryogi's samurai have pirated remote control of her satellite's store of dormant clone bodies; his combat programmers fight her for the station's computers, while the planet's extrasphere swarms with deadly smart-mines. Will she be able to protect the President's shuttle to secure her own vengeance? Will she be able to hold her satellite together? Or will Tomi abandon it all and give in to despair?
  • Genre: Confusing
  • Best to start from: Don't.

Veelk

Banned
Let me know when you launch. Oh, and if you need any software advice or stuff. I actually know a bit about audio.

I might, actually. I have no idea how this stuff runs. We're all creators, so this was a "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we did this" sort of moment, and we're just exploring what we need to do now to make it work. I have an idea in my head, but I'll need to write it down. If everyone agrees that it's feasible, we'll go from there. But I know that if we don't actually go out of our way to work out the logistics, this will just be another daydream moment, so if you have advice after I write my stuff down, I'll be sure to send you a PM.

Malyse

The Leviathan Chronicles
The Leviathan Chronicles is a sci-fi podcast that tracks Macallan Orsel, a young genetic scientist in present-day New York City who discovers that immortality is not a fool's fantasy, but rather a reality for a several factions of powerful immortals living among us. The Leviathan Chronicles is the ultimate science fiction and fantasy audio drama podcast.
  • Schedule: On an unimaginably long hiatus that it may not recover from.
Note: This is a pretty Hard R.

The Antithesis Progression
In 2124, the human race is spreading out from its cradle. It’s a fragile time, the second generation of humans who’ve never set foot on Terran soil are coming of age in a world still dominated by Earth-bound politicians and warlords. All of them know the revolution is coming, but none of them could have predicted that it would begin with the fall of a card.
  • Genre: Sci-Fi
  • Schedule: On a break
Note: Explicit, Consists of a number of books: Predestination (and Other Games of Chance), Down from Ten, and Free Will and Other Compulsions (incomplete).

Taken Liberty: A Tale from the Arbiter Chronicles
Aer'La only wants to be free... The Confederated Worlds are unparalleled as a society of free people, yet, somehow, slavery still manages to exist. Aer'La, a non-human, was bred to serve as a pleasure slave. Years ago, she escaped her masters and masqueraded as a human, joining the Confederate Navy, where she worked her way up to ship's Bos'n under the heroic Captain Jan Atal. Now, Aer'La's secret has been discovered by Atal's superiors, the media, and the world at large. Branded a sociopath, she learns that even a free society isn't willing to grant freedom - or justice - to all. Library Journal says: "The author of the Arbiter Chronicles, an award-winning audio drama, vividly brings to life a cast of compelling characters while telling a story that measures the cost of freedom. The far-future military setting should appeal to fans of David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series as well as the military sf of David Drake."
  • Genre: Sci-Fi
  • Schedule: Ended
Note: Explicit and bleak dark

Billibub Baddings and the Case of the Singing Sword
"Chicago, 1929. There are a thousand stories in the naked city; and when you're a dwarf at four-foot-one, they all look that much taller." It is The Era of Prohibition, where crime runs rampant in the streets and a city divided into territories serves as the ultimate prize. Somewhere in this Underworld of Chicago, an enchanted weapon holds the key to ending The Gangland Wars. In the wake of The St. Valentine's Day Massacre, only one is man enough to stand up against Al Capone... ...a four-foot-one dwarf named Billibub Baddings.
  • Genre: Fantasy Noir

The Coffee Legacy
An old cafe, an even older legend and a new threat.

When Isabelle’s secret past returns to haunt her nightmares, she must take action to protect her family from a threat that is closer than she realises.

Set within the traditional Viennese café culture, ‘Wiener Blut’ (literally translated as ‘Viennese Blood’) is the story of café owner Isabelle Schindler-Krug and her role in a struggle for power that stretches back for centuries.

As she tells her sons the legends behind coffee and Vienna, it becomes clear that one such legend is still in the making, with her own family caught right in the middle.
  • Genre: Modern Fantasy

Cybrosis
For Agent Ciris, the mission should have been simple: get in, apprehend the target, get out. But when the simple snatch and grab goes horribly awry, the worlds first cyborg finds herself backed into a corner. At odds with her superiors, she becomes embroiled in two conspiracies — one intended to destroy her with a cybernetic virus that will neutralize the technology that keeps her alive, the other intended to keep hidden the untold secrets of her origin. With the walls closing in around her, Ciris becomes a rogue agent with no one to trust and only one objective — unravel the shrouds of secrecy before time runs out.
  • Genre: Cyberpunk

Dreams and Wings (A Searcher and Stallion story)
One Man, One Machine, One Destiny.

Searcher awoke, alone on a laboratory table, with an ageless body and no knowledge of his past in a post apocalyptic world. Now in his exoskel, a powered suit of armor, he roams the galaxy with his robotic companion Stallion, seeking clues about his unknown origins. Meanwhile, His existence threatens to destroy balance among the ageless ones, a group of never dying humanoids that secretly run all aspects of human society in the shadows of the surviving colony worlds. Is the Searcher the key to humanity's salvation.....or its final destruction......

The Failed Cities Monologues
In a hardboiled dystopian future, one major American city has been divided in two. Separated by much more than a river, one side is an unfinished technological marvel populated by mega-skyscrapers where the wealthy live, work, and play. The other is a forsaken wasteland where order is strictly maintained by a rogue group of cleric soldiers known as the street preachers. But this dichotomy is about to change. Slowly, quietly, clandestine forces are working to undermine the small piece of redemption the street preachers have brought to their concrete flocks. In the face of watching their second chance crumble to dust, some will fight to stop it. Others will kill to make it happen.

A bold experiment in podcast fiction, The Failed Cities Monologues are told from the shifting perspectives of the characters who inhabit this world, twisted noir archetypes and cyberpunk warriors. Their lives and their stories are linked together by conspiracy, fate... and blood.

Hidden Harbor Mysteries
Hidden Harbor, USA. It is a time of war and hardship for millions of Americans, many of whom live in a city of lies and corruption. But there are those who will fight for truth and justice in this hard, broken city – heroes like The Femme Phantom, who uses the music of the human soul to combat evil and villainy
  • Genre: Science Fiction Noir

FETIDUS
FETIDUS: The Damned Heir, by James Durham, is an award-winning, post-apocalyptic, “future-noir,” supernatural thriller set in the grim and fetid alleys of Washington DC, circa 2034. The audiobook version of FETIDUS is available for free at www.jamesdurham.com.

Join Art Blanchard, a jaded, rough-and-tumble lobbyist with a noble heart, who works for FETIDUS (The Foundation for the Ethical Treatment of the Innocently Damned, Undead and Supernatural), as he investigates a thrilling, twisted case that could change the world.

The story begins as Blanchard takes on a new, desperate client, a drop-dead gorgeous “dame,” who is the daughter of a powerful congressman. A complex and dark mystery unfolds before him, filled with zombies, blackmail, political intrigue, suspense, horror, romance and noir-humor.
  • Genre: Fantasy Noir

Lady From Day
Lady from Day is a story about an adventurer Lia (Sophie Neveu) and her group of companions and their quest to save the princess Daschl Feyris (Cerhiunnhn) from her malady that is causing the kingdom of Feyris to go into famine. Lia and her counterpart Siegfried (JauntyHat) roam Feyris and the outlying regions in search of a cure for the princess. Through their journey they meet up with some unexpected people and encounter some horrible creatures such as the gorlags (Emcgo, Moose, R. Douglas Barbieri) and beautiful places like Harper Wood and Petalodys Valley. Come listen to the story over a course of four Books (Parts).
  • Schedule: Incomplete

Murder at Avedon Hill
Lord Avedon has a problem. Generations of Avedons have watched over Avedon Hill and controlled the only pass through the Lantis Mountains. Traditions are important to the Avedon family, but one tradition has tragically come to an end. Gretta Platt, Housemistress of Avedon Manor, has been murdered. A member of the Platt family has always served the Avedons as Housemistress. until now. Only a handful of people live at Avedon Hill, and most are suspects. Arames Kragen, retired Aarronic Advisor and scholar of prophecy, arrives at the gates of Avedon Hill, hoping to gain access to the mountain pass. Lord Avedon is not in a giving mood, however.

This is the story of Arames Kragen and his attempt not only to discover who killed Gretta Platt, but also to uncover the truth about a town that apparently has more secrets than inhabitants.

The Land of Caern: It is a world where the gods, the Children of Az, can choose to be born as mortals to directly affect events in the world, and often do. It is a world where the Priests of Caern frantically search for the mortal incarnations of any of the Children, in order prevent the Prophecies of Iberian from coming to pass.

Welcome to The Land of Caern.
AKA The best book series you will never read.

Veelk

Banned
It definitely depends on what you want to make. If it's music, effects, etc. that's a bit more complicated. But generally, you can get by with free programs like Audacity.

I don't think we would need any music or effects (other than maybe an intro, just for professionalisms sake), atleast as far as I can tell. The narration is a person is reading a journal from someone else, the framing would be them just reading it. I might have something happening to the reader, but if anything, what I have in my head would require a voice actor/actress. I definitely wouldn't be able to deliver the range that the narration would require, so we'd have to find someone who could.

Malyse

For anthologies and production companies, if everything can be found in a single feed I'll just list the podcast, but if you need to grab them individually then I'll put all the show titles.

Incomparable Radio Theater
Incomparable Radio Theater is a series of original radio shows that pays homage to classic mid-20th century radio while also giving a nod to modern pop culture.
  • Genre: Anthology
  • Schedule: Weekly, but runs in seasons
  • Best to start from: Wherever you like, but at this point? The beginning.

Decoder Ring Theatre
Decoder Ring Theatre is a Toronto based Theatre and Audio Production company that runs an award-nominated podcast of the same name. It consists primarily of two series, The Red Panda Adventures and Black Jack Justice, both of which are done in the style of old-time radio, and alternate in six-episode runs. There are also occasionally other series that run for a limited duration.
  • The Red Panda Adventures
  • Black Jack Justice
  • Deck Gibson, Far Reach Commander
  • Slick Bracer, P.I.
  • Marvellous Boxes
  • Crogan Adventures
  • The Showcase

The Black List Table Reads
The Black List Table Reads takes the best and most exciting screenplays Hollywood hasn't yet made, and turns them into movies, for your ears. Black List founder Franklin Leonard presents a new script every month read by a rotating cast of talented actors, along with interviews from the Hollywood screenwriting community and beyond.
  • Genre: Varies by the episode.
  • Schedule: Every two weeks with interviews in the off weeks, but runs in seasons.
  • Best to start from: wherever you want. You don’t watch every film that comes out, so you don’t have to listen to every episode.
Personal Recommendations: Chrome Noir, Mr. Malcolm's List, Celeritas

The Truth
THE TRUTH makes movies for your ears. They're short stories that are sometimes dark, sometimes funny, and always intriguing. Every story is different, but they all take you to unexpected places using only sound. If you're new, some good starting places are: Silvia's Blood, That's Democracy, Moon Graffiti, Tape Delay, or whatever's most recent.
  • Genre: Varies by episode
  • Schedule: Usually monthly, sometimes more often but runs in seasons
  • Best to start from: Silvia's Blood, That's Democracy, Moon Graffiti, Tape Delay, or whatever's most recent.

Thrilling Adventure Hour
The Thrilling Adventure Hour is a staged show in the style of old-time radio performed by your favorite stars from the worlds of television, film, comedy, sketch, animation, and the stage. It is created and written by Ben Acker and Ben Blacker. Has a pretty comprehensive wiki.
  • Genre: Varies by episode
  • Schedule: Show has ended, but there are occasional specials.
  • Best to start from: Wherever you like.

Broken Sea
We are a keen group of audio drama fanatics who create podcast and free download stories in audio format.Included in our line up is original fantasy, sci-fi, horror, drama, comedy and fan-works and audio versions of great films (like Planet of the Apes and Logan’s Run)
  • Dr. Who
  • Dr. Who Classic
  • Escape from New York
  • The Sword of the Crimson Tatters
  • Jake Sampson, Monster Hunter
  • Maudelayne
  • Feedback- A Hero's Calling
  • Gaia’s Voyages
  • Twilight Theatre
  • Planet of the Apes
  • Beneath the Planet of the Apes
  • Planet of the Apes UK Stage Show
  • Kolchak: All Saints Archive
  • The Prisoner
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • X-Files
  • Grog & Gryphon
  • G.U.S.U.
  • Ulysses Galactic Hunting Guides and Bounty Hunting, Inc.
  • S010
  • Jonny Quest
  • The Robot With A Human Brain
  • Body Slam Alley
  • Greenpond
  • 2109: Black Sun Rising
  • Logan's Run
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • Amity: DARK WATERS

Darker Projects
We are a darker audio drama company who present to you original projects such as Tales from the Museum and The Falcon Banner in addition to our popular Star Trek and Doctor Who interpretations. As always in the ill-omened darkness, you'll find the most breathtaking surprises, so be sure to stay tuned!
  • Autumn
  • Batman: No Man's Land
  • Behind The Scenes
  • Dark Matter
  • Doctor Who
  • Five Minute Fears
  • He-Man: The Parody
  • Night Terrors
  • Other Voices
  • Outer Limits
  • Quantum Leap
  • Quantum Retribution
  • Shadow Talkers
  • Star Trek: Lost Frontier
  • Star Trek: Section 31
  • Tales From The Museum
  • The Falcon Banner

Chatterbox Audio Theater
Chatterbox Audio Theater was created in 2007 by four friends with a lot of creativity and ambition but very little money. Based in Memphis, TN, with additional productions created in Kansas City, MO, Chatterbox creates fully soundscaped audio works for free streaming and download. Most Chatterbox shows are recorded live, with manual sound effects and as little post-production editing as possible.
At least that's what they say on the site. Personally, I think their goal it to fuck you up with the most unnerving stories they can find.

Circus-13 Productions
  • Flash Gordon
  • Iron Man
  • James Bond 007
  • Jonah Hex
  • Spider-Man
  • X-men
  • Human Target
  • Green Arrow
  • Assault
  • Circus-13 Presents
  • Joke of Every Other Week
  • Mr. Halloween, the ghost notrious
  • Quest for the Passion Stone
  • Truck of the Inter-dimensional Bounty Hunters Guild Local 137
  • The Wolfman Journals

Curious Echoes
Once upon a time (in 2002 in fact), Louis Gutierrez and Sharon Moskowitz (two good friends with a mutual history of sketch comedy, improvisation, writerly experimentation, and dedicated geekdom) went to a big convention and saw – er, heard the brilliant Atlanta Radio Theatre Company at work. Whereupon, the glint of mad creation came into their eyes, and they turned to each other and said, “Hey, we can do that.”

This made the audience rather unhappy, as they were all trying to listen to the show.

Nevertheless, the two persevered, and found that they could not, in fact, “do that.” They would need help. So they dragged in their loved ones and invited other funny, exhibitionist, writerly- and improvisationally-inclined geeks to help. The result was curious.

After many open auditions, we’ve grown beyond the original members. Performers at heart, all members have the opportunity to act. But what makes us different?

We also take on the very specialized roles in the writing, recording and production. Our approach is Guerrilla style, for the moment, but we do try to get the best out of the resources we have at hand.

We’re interested in a more flexible medium to experiment with the story narrative. Thanks to technology, it’s possible to produce audio theater on a less expensive scale allowing far more artistic freedom. imagine blowing up a starship on a $200 budget!

We’re determined to make something of our own. We make interesting noises together. Sometimes the noises are just silly. Sometimes they make stories appear in your head.

Variant Frequencies
Variant Frequencies is a podcast that stretches the entire bandwidth of genre fiction, modulated by a constant element of the fantastic. Every month we give you a new story.
Our goal at Variant Frequencies is to entertain and expose you to our work, and we work hard on every story you will hear. So tune in, turn the volume up, and let some of our weird carrier waves distort your reality....

for just a little while.

Moonlight Audio Theatre
Your Portal to the Best in Modern Audio Drama Mystery, Horror, Suspense, Drama, Comedy, Sci-Fi and Special Features.
The Sonic Society
Highlighting modern audio drama around the world.

Moonlight Audio Theatre and The Sonic Society both highlight various different podcasts. They are basically a sort of sampler for most of the stuff on this list and I used them both to help construct it.

Earbud Theater
An anthology of original audio dramas in the vein of classic series like THE TWILIGHT ZONE and OUTER LIMITS. Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror - It's All In Your Head

FinalRune Productions
Radio drama, audio theater, audio drama, audio fiction–whatever the moniker, we’re talking about stories told with the power of sound alone. Calling on a history pioneered by the likes of Orson Welles, Norman Corwin, and Arch Oboler, FinalRune’s modern audio dramas honor the tradition of the 40s and 50s while propelling the art form into the 21st century.

Giant Gnome Productions
  • Star Trek: Outpost
  • The 13th Hour
  • Star Trek: Dimensions
  • No, Really (a satire news show in the style of The Onion)
  • Star Trek: Xen
  • Of Kings and Time Travelers
  • SpaceNet
  • Gnome Tomes
  • Public Service Announcements
  • Doctor Who: Legends of a Time Lord

The Grayscale
An anthology series of short radio plays, exploring the spectrum of human behavior, with chilling results. A podcast by Critical Point Theatre.

Gypsy Audio
  • Being Earnest
  • Classics
  • Dracula
  • Fortuna
  • Gypsy Cove
  • Lara Bond: 0012
  • Stargazers
  • TamLynn: PI
  • The Blackburn Gaslight Adventures
  • The Doctor Chronicls
  • The G-Files
  • Twisted Tales
  • Wandering Minstrel

Hall of Mirrors - The Collected Stories
From award-winning author, Mike Bennett, comes Hall of Mirrors: Tales of Horror and the Grotesque. Here you will find stories of Hell and damnation, ghosts, madness, murder, vampires, bizarre hair restoration disasters, and … pigeons, among other things

HoloNet Audio Dramas
STAR WARS fanfiction podcast in dramatized audiobook form with music and sound effects.

Misfits Audio
  • 5 Minute Classics
  • Amusing Grace
  • Bullies
  • Cloak & Dagger
  • Comedy
  • Doctor Who
  • Dudley Junction
  • Eye for an Eye
  • FABLE DISTORTIONS
  • Gaia
  • George & Gracie
  • Good Sam
  • Green Lantern
  • Have Gun Will Travel
  • Hornblower
  • Jim Nolan Private Eye
  • Kelmah
  • Leela
  • Little Moccasin Foot
  • MILLY FOSTER
  • Miranda
  • Pawn Quest
  • Pristinely Ungifted
  • Reign of Zoulvisia E-Book
  • ROB
  • Sherlock Holmes
  • Sir Philip de Barry
  • Small Worlds
  • Snapes Diaries
  • Star Rabbit
  • Stargate SG-1
  • Strange Stories
  • Tales of the Texas Rangers
  • The Administration
  • The Bickersons
  • THE CORNER BAR ON ALPHA PRIME
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Tom Corbett Space Cadet
  • Tom Riddle's Diary
  • x Minus One
  • Yes Please
  • Zoulvisia

Nother Audio
Nother is the brainchild of April Sadowski (producer of Snape’s Diaries, Tom Riddle’s Diary, Lady From Day, Sally’s Daddy vs. The Alligator, and Nutcracker Mania). It’s an audio drama production house featuring audio drama that is not your typical run-of-the-mill.

We stress family-friendly audio drama and audio books.

Precarious Audio Theater
A listening adventure tailored for a braver, newer world.

Prometheus Radio Theatre
Prometheus Radio Theatre features all-original Science Fiction and Horror audio theatre content.

Saturday Morning Media
Saturday Morning Media is your one stop shop for new, family friendly audio and video new media content. Created by the creator of The Radio Adventures of Dr. Floyd, Saturday Morning Media aims to bring the magic back to Saturday Mornings!

Scott Sigler Audiobooks
This is where Sigler dishes out the good stuff, the pure stuff, the stuff not cut with other stuff that is neither good nor pure. If you like your fiction intense and original, you’re in the right place.

The Seanachai
The Podcast of Author Patrick E. McLean

Serving Worlds
Serving Worlds (currect)
A cowboy on the run to keep his soul. A vampire running a Nigerian investor scam. A wolf racing to the mountaintop, before a dragon can catch and kill him. A human protecting one of the aliens he fought in war, from an old army buddy. Meet these and other characters in Serving Worlds, the genre-blending podcast fiction collection from John Mierau. Weekly episodes are 20 minutes or less but Beware: there be cliffhangers here!

Texas Radio Theatre Company
The Texas Radio Theatre Company presents the best in modern audio theater performances, recorded in front of an audience, featuring award winning original works and classic adaptations.

The Theater in Your Mind
A show inspired by classic radio dramas such as Murder at Midnight, Suspense, The Mysterious Traveler, Dimension X, Nightfall, and many others.

Twilight Audio Theatre
Original audio drama from Twilight Audio Theatre.

Majestad

Banned
Great thread! Red Panda sounds interesting, gonna give it a listen.

I strongly recommend The Black Tapes and Tanis from the podcasts mentioned in the ost. Both are amazing.

Fuchsdh

If you like geeky stuff and old-time radio, you'll love The Incomparable Radio Theater (and probably the parent Incomparable podcast too.)

Recently due to the hankering for more podcasts like Hardcore History and Revolutions I've kind of been wishing that there was even a fake history podcast that blended those styles. They're so good at getting you into a time and place.

I initially enjoyed The Black Tapes, but the back and forth between the host and Strand became too strained for my liking. Took too much from the Serial format. Needs to be more condensed.

But this a great thread. Cheers, OP!

mjc

Sucks to hear that The Leviathan Chronicles isn't very good, I'd really love a deep sea horror story right about now.

Malyse

Sucks to hear that The Leviathan Chronicles isn't very good, I'd really love a deep sea horror story right about now.
I don't concur with that opinion. I'm enjoying it so far, though I do cringe at points. Not from awkwardness, but because the sound effects (for example, someone being torn limb from limb) make very uncomfortable.

If you are in the mood for horror, check out Sayer.

----

OP will be updated in a few days. I have new podcasts to listen to.

lunchtoast

Listened to 3 episodes of Wooden Overcoats, classic british comedy feel. Going to try to knock out The Message today. Kinda hard to focus on these types of podcasts when at work.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
fantastic OP - great selection up there.

for fans of hilarious fantasy, improv, dnd & MBMBaM:

The Adventure Zone

wFpeBjnP.jpeg

i see you Russ T w/ the Hello, from the Magic Tavern suggestion.... so, so good.

Thanks for making this thread! I went through Limetown and The Black Tapes pretty quick and have been trying to find something new to listen to. I didn't care too much for Tanis or The Message so I'm excited to try these others.

Russ T

Banned
Oooh yes this is a thread I needed. I love fictional podcasts.

My recent discovery: http://hellofromthemagictavern.com/

magictavern1.png

Hello! I’m Arnie. I fell through a magical dimensional portal behind a Burger King in Chicago and found myself in a strange magical land called “Foon.” I’m still somehow getting a weak wi-fi signal from the Burger King so I host a weekly podcast from the tavern the Vermilion Minotaur, interviewing monsters, wizards and adventurers.

I guess they're improv comics or something, so while they do some preparation, I think most of the beat by beat moments are off the cuff. It's really funny.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm kind of surprised that there are so many of these types of podcasts. It's almost a revival of the radio drama.

Fury451

Banned
Tanis starts off great but then it kind of rambles on in later episodes

My favorite is The Black Tapes

It does. It really doesn't seem focused at all. I'm also kinda meh on Black Tapes. Started strong but I don't like the Serial style. It breaks my immersion when she starts advertising socks in the middle of a mystery. Seems like that's going to be the way all PNWS products go.

Limetown is another one that starts very strong, but kinda meanders and doesn't seem to know exactly what it wants to be. Also hearing someone describe their
psychic bond with a pig
in a way that sounds like an intimate romance was borderline lolworthy.

Oddly I still think all 3 I mentioned are worth a listen.

Overall great list of a lot I haven't heard of before, thanks OP.

Ophelion

Tanis starts off great but then it kind of rambles on in later episodes

My favorite is The Black Tapes

Tanis has had a lot of buildup, which is more frustrating because it begins with a central mystery and then dissolves into mini-mysteries, whereas Black Tapes starts with seemingly disconnected mini-mysteries that resolve into one uber-mystery.

I also think Alex has kind of a cute voice, which doesn't hurt matters either.

That said, I am more intrigued by the individual mysteries presented on Tanis, so I'm definitely on board to see where its going. Has kind of a House of Leaves vibe going for it that I find very appealing.

Malyse

I'm kind of surprised that there are so many of these types of podcasts. It's almost a revival of the radio drama.
Night Vale was a rather significant event. Limetown as well. Though there are of course those that predate that.

Question: do you want/would it help if I add average duration, current number of episodes, and year started?

aett

I couldn't get into Night Vale. Loved the idea but it was just too quirky for my liking.

I felt the same way. On paper, it sounded amazing, but I didn't realize what a heavy emphasis it had on quirkiness/humor. I'm looking forward to checking out King Falls AM.

I'd also like to second the Adventure Zone recommendation. The most recent storyline to be completed went on a lot longer than it should have, but the quality is back on track now. I'm sure that previous storyline is a lot better when listening to it without the two weeks between each episode, too.

Everyone was raving about the Black Tapes so I tried listening to it and was really put off. I thought Limetown had some bad acting at times, but TBT is just a different level of bad.

Ophelion

I felt the same way. On paper, it sounded amazing, but I didn't realize what a heavy emphasis it had on quirkiness/humor. I'm looking forward to checking out King Falls AM.

I'd also like to second the Adventure Zone recommendation. The most recent storyline to be completed went on a lot longer than it should have, but the quality is back on track now. I'm sure that previous storyline is a lot better when listening to it without the two weeks between each episode, too.

I feel like early episodes of Nightvale were a lot more willing to be uncomfortable and frightening. Right around the time they started developing Cecil to be a main character instead of a pseudo-narrator things started to get a little more...cuddly.

Althane

Is there a good way/program to download these and listen to them? I only listen to a news podcast once in a while, and I download it straight from their site and put it on my phone. If I was able to manage it better, I'm sure I'd get into more, but for me It's just a pain to manage it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Is there a good way/program to download these and listen to them? I only listen to a news podcast once in a while, and I download it straight from their site and put it on my phone. If I was able to manage it better, I'm sure I'd get into more, but for me It's just a pain to manage it.

what kind of phone do you have?

for iOS i suggest Overcast

Malyse

If you need a podcast app.
https://overcast.fm/

You can import and export OPML.

You'll get to demo the Voice Boost and Smart Speed for a few minutes. They're great, esp Voice Boost if you listen in a car or in transit. I think it's very much worth it.

You have to make an account so you can do password resets, and it will sync with the web & other devices.
75hDwWyl.jpg

DoogCatcher (android)

Personally, I use Pocket Casts. iOS, Android, and web based playback that syncs with each other.

Etzer

I had no idea there were this many fictional podcasts out there! I've only listened to Limetown and Night Vale. Limetown kept getting better on every episode, but I feel like Night Vale has been very inconsistent lately.

I'll definitely give some of these a listen. King Falls AM and Tanis in particular seem pretty interesting to me.

lunchtoast

Tried 3 episodes of SAYER. Is it really just the AI talking to you the whole time? Thought it would be about people living on an asteroid, not the rantings of a sociopath computer. Does it get better?

Russ T

Banned
If you need a podcast app.

http://imgur.com/75hDwWyl.jpg

DoogCatcher (android)

Personally, I use Pocket Casts. iOS, Android, and web based playback that syncs with each other.

I used DoggCatcher for a long time, but recently made the switch to Pocket Casts.

I vastly prefer Pocket Casts. I don't even use it on multiple devices.

I feel like early episodes of Nightvale were a lot more willing to be uncomfortable and frightening. Right around the time they started developing Cecil to be a main character instead of a pseudo-narrator things started to get a little more...cuddly.

Yeah I can agree with this. I still like it, but I do wish it was more... unsettling. At this point it's definitely more cute than it is spooky.

Like the whole five-headed dragon thing. And they keep bringing it back. Man.

Actually I may have just talked myself into disliking Night Vale.

Top Bottom