• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fictional Podcasts |OT| - "You mean it isn't real?"

Malyse

Tried 3 episodes of SAYER. Is it really just the AI talking to you the whole time? Thought it would be about people living on an asteroid, not the rantings of a sociopath computer. Does it get better?

Generally yes. I thought the first half was weaker than the later parts. Some of the stuff that happens is Just. Fucked. Up. I think if you listen to episode six "A Dreamless Sleep" and you still ain't into it, then you should just give up as that's one of the best episodes.

i loved Night Vale when i started listening to it but grew tired and quit after a while

all the spookiness of the early stuff went out in favor of zaniness

A Story About You is still some god-tier shit, though

I used DoggCatcher for a long time, but recently made the switch to Pocket Casts.

I vastly prefer Pocket Casts. I don't even use it on multiple devices.

Yeah I can agree with this. I still like it, but I do wish it was more... unsettling. At this point it's definitely more cute than it is spooky.

Like the whole five-headed dragon thing. And they keep bringing it back. Man.

Actually I may have just talked myself into disliking Night Vale.

I feel like early episodes of Nightvale were a lot more willing to be uncomfortable and frightening. Right around the time they started developing Cecil to be a main character instead of a pseudo-narrator things started to get a little more...cuddly.

I felt the same way. On paper, it sounded amazing, but I didn't realize what a heavy emphasis it had on quirkiness/humor. I'm looking forward to checking out King Falls AM.

I'd also like to second the Adventure Zone recommendation. The most recent storyline to be completed went on a lot longer than it should have, but the quality is back on track now. I'm sure that previous storyline is a lot better when listening to it without the two weeks between each episode, too.
All of the people missing the horror aspects of Night Vale should give SAYER a shot, cause yeah.

As a side note, shit gets REAL in Red Panda. Like, whoa.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i loved Night Vale when i started listening to it but grew tired and quit after a while

Awesome list.

Unlike the OP I think We're Alive is without a doubt one of the best fictionalised 'radio drama's. It may take a few episodes to get hooked but once you do you realise how bland TV shows like the walking dead really are.

Everyone needs to give We're Alive a go.

someday

Banned
Wow, this is exactly what I've been hoping for! I listened to We're Alive last year and liked it. I just listened to The Message this week and it was really good until the last 7 minutes or so. I'm definitely going to check these out!

Also, the people that made We're Alive are working on a prequel that takes place in the prison, called Lockdown. I think the first episode is available on their website but I'm waiting for it to be a regular thing before jumping in.

Russ T

Banned
I liked We're Alive, but I think it suffers from some really poor acting. Some of the actors get better as the series progresses, but some feel stiff the whole way through.

LuffyZoro

Nice, I love these kind of shows. While it isn't technically a podcast, I would recommend Cabin Pressure for people who might be interested in a British sitcom set on a small charter airplane. The characters are all great and loveable, and I wish there were more than 26 episodes.

Malyse

I might have dug myself in a bit too deep. I'm listening to podcasts in chronological order in one big combined playlist.

I'm currently at 2006 with 900 episodes in queue...

Ophelion

A Story of You is probably one of my favorite podcasts I've ever listened to. From any show. I experienced it in the perfect way: started it up late at night, lying in my bed with the rain tapping insistently at my window. I think I might have been just a little drunk, not enough so I couldn't follow, just enough that I could believe while it was playing that Cecil was actually talking directly to me.

And in Nightvale's defense, I don't know how sustainable the spookiness of some of the early stuff would've been in the long term. Most people would've tired of quirky little modern ghost stories/urban legends they'd made up. Building relatable characters and a metaplot of sorts was absolutely the right way to go from a financial mindset if not also an artistic one.

I still really like and keep up with the show. I went to one of their live shows when they came through Seattle over here. I got to say hi to Cecil and the writers afterward, but I was exhausted and couldn't think of much better than "Hi, thanks for the show." to say. I think I might've shook Cecil's hand, but I can't remember. Like I said, I was running on empty. Cecil is really tall.

I might have dug myself in a bit too deep. I'm listening to podcasts in chronological order in one big combined playlist.

I'm currently at 2006 with 900 episodes in queue...

This sounds fabulous, btw.

Malyse

I've learned that I have a pet peeve in fictional serial storytelling: overly long recaps. Like, bruh what? You posted an episode last effing week. I didn't forget what happened. Have a *little* faith in your audience. Damn.

For those wondering, I'm currently in June 2007. Over a thousand episodes back. Plus I know a new episode of TANIS just dropped too.

And, yes, the number went up. I found new stuff.

Malyse

I haven't listened to any of these, so I don't know much about them. Sorry.
Now you see why my queue is so ridic.
As I listen to stuff, I'll move it where it goes.

A.I.N.E.
A.I.N.E. is an app exclusive radio drama series about a faulty Human-Robot Hybrid adjusting to life in contemporary Ireland. Although A.I.N.E. appears as a smart and sophisticated 30 year old, the reality is...she’s not the sharpest tool in the box. Can artificial intelligence and Irish society co-exist? Is it all going to end in tears? Tune in every Monday to hear Ireland’s first A.I. bring awkwardness to a new level.
A Beginner's Guide to Interplanetary Destruction
After a friend's untimely death, a D&D group decides to honor their fallen comrade the only way they know how – with a funeral campaign set in a realm of sorcery, swords, and demonic peril. Soon after their pen and paper adventure begins, they find themselves in very real danger when they awake on the shore of an alien planet where an ancient artifact has recently been unearthed. A Beginner’s Guide to the Interplanetary Destruction is what happens when a science fiction radio drama is re-imagined in the age of the podcast, and each episode features the comedic, and often failed, exploits of this group of childhood friends as they battle their way across time and space.
The Adventure Zone
Justin, Travis and Griffin McElroy from My Brother, My Brother and Me have recruited their dad Clint for a campaign of high adventure. Join the McElroys as they find their fortune and slay an unconscionable number of ... you know, kobolds or whatever in ... The Adventure Zone.
Aftermath & other Audio Drama stories
Welcome to 2016. For the past five years the world has become an increasingly unstable place. The threat of war between China and the USA had loomed heavily over the rest of the world. Britain, now a small, insignificant and bankrupt nation, initially, as always, had sided with the USA. But relations quickly broke down beyond repair between the two nations, leaving the UK an isolated and unimportant outcast in world diplomacy.

Faced with two gigantic, power hungry enemies on either side, things go from bad to worse in the UK when an attack on the country’s power and communications leaves its citizens without electricity, television, phone or internet. After nearly a fortnight, and with nothing more than speculation available about who carried out the attack and why, looting and riots spread throughout towns and cities like wildfire.

Rumours of an emergency radio broadcast promising help, information, food and water in the centre of every city sees millions of people on the move as they try to head for safety, hoping that the crisis may be at an end.

In reality, nothing can be further from the truth. In a car park, half way up Falkland Hill in Fife, a group of people who fled from the riot stricken towns below watch out over the river Forth in horror as Edinburgh is blitzed by a missile attack from the sky. The lucky ones are killed by the blasts, but anyone else close enough is subjected to the chemicals unleashed by the explosions. A devastating chemical attack turns ordinary people into bloodthirsty savages, and Scotland as we know it, changes forever.
And now… this is the Aftermath.
Airship Diaries
These then are the adventures of the airship Babbage...these then are the adventures of Captain Jareck.
Alba Salix, Royal Physician
Farloria’s Royal Physician has her work cut out for her. As head witch and the only regular staff member at the new House of Healing, Alba’s got an endless lineup of patients and a bickering King and Queen to please.

Fortunately, help is on the way. Unfortunately, that help is from Magnus, a troublesome young ex-monk and aspiring surgeon, and Holly, an accident-prone fairy herbalist.
Alive
For fans of The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Red Rising comes a gripping sci-fi adventure in which a group of teenagers wake up in a mysterious corridor with no knowledge of who they are or how they got trapped. Their only hope lies with an indomitable young woman who must lead them not only to answers but to survival.

A teenage girl awakens to find herself trapped in a coffin. She has no idea who she is, where she is, or how she got there. Fighting her way free brings little relief - she discovers only a room lined with caskets and a handful of equally mystified survivors. Beyond their room lies a corridor filled with bones and dust but no people and no answers.

She knows only one thing about herself - her name, M. Savage, which was engraved on the foot of her coffin. She finds herself in charge. She is not the biggest among them or the boldest, but for some reason the others trust her. Now, if they're to have any chance, she must get them to trust one another.

Whatever the truth is, she is determined to find it and confront it. If she has to lead, she will make sure they survive. Maybe there's a way out, a rational explanation, and a fighting chance against the dangers to come. Or maybe a reality they cannot comprehend lies just beyond the next turn.
Altered Avalon
Altered Avalon is a fantasy adventure set in the modern day world. Long ago the god Pan fell in love with a mortal woman, and when tragedy strikes his kingdom is sealed off from our world in order to save his unborn daughter. When Damiana is born the kingdom is once again opened to our world, releasing all manners of creatures that humanity has long forgotten. Damiana, and several others must unite to discover what has changed, or else risk both worlds destroying each other in an all out war for dominance.
Animal Crossing Noir
Animal Crossing Noir is a free audiobook, narrated by the author. Follow one character's journey through the world of Animal Crossing New Leaf, with the characters, adventures, events and town in a way you will not have heard before.
Armand Ptolemy and the Golden Aleph
Synchronicity machines. Difference engines melded with the iChing. Geomancy: the art of making stone float with sound. The hacker collective 'Anonymous'. Secret societies …

This is the world of ARMAND PTOLEMY, a new action-adventure hero. Facing an enemy armed with the Golden Aleph -- a mystical device that allows its wielder to see holographically into every point in time and space, Ptolemy must use every trick of his Oxford-educated mind and circus-trained body to succeed.

But how do you fight an enemy that knows your every move … even before you do?

When Armand Ptolemy is called to investigate strange tremors plaguing an old wing of the New York public library, he finds himself enmeshed in a series of events that began in 1912. Yet Ptolemy himself is rumored to be from the past himself -- and the world's Elite lust after the secret of how he seemingly jumped forward over one hundred years in time. Most keenly interested in this secret is Octavio Veerspike, head of the Veerspike banking dynasty.

When the Commission -- a secret society of the world's most powerful people -- suddenly call a conclave in the tropics, Ptolemy has to figure out what they're up to, and fast.

But the Elites have other ideas. Putting into a motion the capstone of a hundred-years old plan, the Commission wants Ptolemy out of the way. And with the Golden Aleph giving them very potent powers of prediction, they just may succeed ...
Atheist Apocalypse Podcast
A fictional comedy about the post-apocalyptic world that the pre-apocalyptic world has been waiting for!
audioblivious productions

Aural Stage Studios
Making good things sound better.
The Ballad of Iron Percy
It has been twenty years since the island nation of Great Hale conquered the New World and became an empire. Lord Percival Wilmore, the Hero of Naruna Isle, has been the governor of the New Jucata since the war’s end, and it has been his life’s work to make the colony a peaceful and prosperous part of the Halan Empire. By all accounts, he has succeeded. The city-states of Old Jucata have been dominated utterly, the old religion has been completely supplanted by the Halan faith of the White Veil, and Jucatan goods have made Great Hale the envy of the world. He is beloved by the people, and he has ensured that this Halan colony is built to last.

But New Jucata’s future is not as secure as it seems. As the head of state for the colony, Lord Wilmore is the highest legal authority in the land, and he is called upon to try a most curious prisoner. The events and outcome of this interrogation threaten to tear Halan Rule of Law apart and bring anarchy to the region.

Pandemona stands accused of being a Pak Shar - a dangerous and seductive demon previously seen only in Veil mythology. With her scarlet skin, lithe tail, and dainty set of horns, she certainly looks the part. Her way with words and alluring demeanor only serve to underscore this perception. Under Halan law, the punishment for being a demon is death by fire at the stake, but Pandemona is entitled to a fair trial by Lord Wilmore and the colony’s Curate before she can be convicted and executed. This interrogation is her only chance to escape. She must use all of her wit and guile to survive.

Is Pandemona really what she appears to be? What is she here to accomplish? Is she an evil and subversive creature, sent from the Abyss to torment mankind? Or is she simply disfigured and misunderstood? Whatever the truth may be, her presence is not a good omen.

The Ballad of Iron Percy is a song of glorious triumph, written to honor Lord Wilmore’s victory against overwhelming odds in the Conquest War. It is an iconic tune in New Jucata. The specifics of the verses vary in each separate rendition, but the overall tone is one of bravery, achievement, and joy.

Unfortunately for Iron Percy, his Ballad is not yet over…
The Bunker
The Bunker is a breakfast radio show for the post-apocalypse generation. Set in the year 2414, the series chronicles the misadventures of David, David and Tom, as they struggle to host a one hour radio programme from their underground bunker, complete with guests, interviews, short stories and music, whilst keeping themselves segregated from the barbaric world outside.

The show is completely real, and is somehow being beamed back through time to the 21st century, which is why you’re able to listen to it now. But will people heed the threat of near-extinction that is highlighted in The Bunker, and take measures to avoid the so-called “Big Headache” that wiped out most of humankind? It’s unlikely.
MarsCorp
The year is 2515 and Earth is a barren wasteland. Luckily, a terraforming colony was established on Mars at the end of the 21st century to make the red planet a safe haven for humanity. Unluckily, that colony was MarsCorp.

After 444 years of gathering dust in the storage room, Station Supervisor E. L. Hob (Helen Watkinson) is awoken from cryosleep and tasked with getting the terraforming mission back on track (and saving MarsCorp from its own catastrophic incompetence).

In each half hour episode Hob and her laid-back assistant, Jim (Matthew Woodcock), attempt to tackle the day-to-day problems at MarsCorp, such as health and safety, education, security, terrifying man-eating monsters from hellish dimensions and team building days.
The Cleansed: A Post-Apocalyptic Saga
The Cleansed is a post-oil apocalyptic tale about Maria and Luke, sibling who escape with rebel leader John Prophet to to save the world from a second man-made apocalypse.
Desert Gems Audio
Desert Gems Audio presents audio drama adaptations of the tales from Sir Richard Francis Burton's One Thousand and One Nights (commonly called The Arabian Nights).
Professor How
A Parody of a Well known British Time-travelling Sci-fi Program.
The Doctor Who Audio Dramas
The Doctor Who Audio Dramas is the world’s longest running fan production of Doctor Who. Started in 1982, this series spans six Doctors, a host of companions, and over 170 stories.
Doctor Who Dark Journey
Doctor Who Dark Journey is a full cast Wholock audio drama adventure taking The Doctor and Sherlock Holmes on a darker journey than ever before.
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher is a sci-fi/fantasy adventure audio series set in the never-ending world of dreams. When Ashley is whisked away to the realms of the Dreaming, she and her friends begin to explore with the help of an Onieronaut, Gabriel. But when events are put into motion that stand to threaten the safety of the Dreamscapes, it's up to them to stop whoever's behind it before its too late.
The Elysium Project
The Elysium Project is an independently produced audio drama series created and produced by Natalie Van Sistine.

The story follows those who are pulled into the world of a powerful formula that allows it's subjects to manipulate the world around them based on thought and desire.
The Emerald Arts
The Emerald Arts is the oldest running arts show in Ireland and indeed the world. For over 220 years the programme – initially released as sheet music, then later on telegraph, wax disk, player piano, and finally the wireless (on Dublin’s own Nero FM) has brought Ireland news from the worlds of art and entertainment.

It’s main presenters – Hawthorn White, an ancient and mysterious figure. Bellicose as a bear and aristocratic as a Tudor. Lenny T, gaeltori, scholar of Irish history, staunch defender of the traditional arts. Sally Gob, a sprightly young woman of 60, dead set on having her generations voice added to the show’s conservative coverage.

For six brief episodes the producers have agreed to experiment with the podcast format.
Eternal Kingdom
The modern world with its security and traffic cameras, cell phone video and social media makes it hard for a vampire to kill in privacy. As more and more vampires disregard the need for discretion, breaking the sacred rule, the Council must decide how to make examples of the worst offenders while restoring the faith in the few governments and authorities aware of their existence. It’s time to resurrect an ancient tradition of …. The Game.
Gallowtree.
Welcome to the mysterious and weird world of Gallowtree - the first fully autonomous city that is open to social experimentation. Gallowtree is an experiment in self-government that can raise its own taxes, make it’s own laws and you are tuned into the only radio station in town: Gallowtree radio. This is what you voted for, now it’s time to pay. Welcome to Gallowtree.... again and again and again....
Greater Boston
Greater Boston is a bi-monthly full-cast audio drama set in the Boston metro area, blending the real and the unreal, the historical and the fantastical.
Hadron Gospel Hour
The hapless duo of Hadron scientist Dr. Francis “Oppenheimer” Valdini and his somewhat reluctant partner, the kidnapped IT guy Mike Wilkinson, are stranded outside of spacetime in the Hadron Bunker. Alongside the sassy laboratory A.I., a goofy, partially dismbodied maintenance man, and a floating, sentient Higgs-Boson particle, the two struggle ineptly to repair the infamous Hadron Rift. To save the multiverse, Oppenheimer and Mike must visit freaky new alternate timelines, making wacky new friends -- and ridiculous new enemies -- along the way.
Harrison Quest
Harrison Ford is going to freeze himself. His #1 fans have vowed to stop him. Follow the Sons Of Ford as they attempt to track down the world's most amazing leading man before it's too late!
Harry Strange Radio Drama
Magic and magical people–the ‘unnatural order’ is all around us. There are benevolent witches, malevolent witches, demons, vamps, werewolves, shape shifters, ghosts; it’s a protoplasmic party of creature features out there. But unless you know where to look, you won’t find them. I know where to look. My name is Harry Strange.
Hello from the Magic Tavern
Hi. I’m Arnie. I fell through a portal behind a Burger King into the magical land of Foon. I’m still trying to get my bearings, but I have my podcasting gear and get a weak WiFi signal from the Burger King so I figured I might as well set up shop at the nearby inn and interview some people. When in Foon…
Horace Kentucky's Chronal Detective Agency

Imagination Lane Backroads
Enter the Mists of History

It's About Time
Join Charlie and Steve on a time travel adventure as they seek their fame and fortune and maybe cause a calamity or two. This bi-weekly audio drama, comedy really, reveals what happens when two bumbling idiots are given the keys to time travel.

Liberty
For hundreds of years the colony of Atrius has been cut off from humanity and endured generations of civil war. What remains is a gleaming city and beyond its walls, a lawless expanse known as the Fringe. New episodes every other Tuesday!

LightningBolt Theater of the Mind

We provide new and rich audio experiences for your ears. You may find anything from scifi to romance to action and horror. We offer original and fan radio dramas.

The Light of September
Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. In the near future, however, something does, and the crew of the oceanographic research ship Venus must deal with the Earth-shattering consequences.

The Lost Tigers
The Lost Tigers is a serialized, full-cast, adventure drama from Adventureland Media! Join the fight!

MadGeek Audio
MadGeek is a small satellite audio drama production company based in the North East of England and is the home of the award finalist show, Blue Sky.

Methodical Studios
We create podcast fiction, exploring the world of storytelling through audio.

The Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences
The Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, with its head office located at the heart of the Empire, London, is here to solve these mysterious happenings that leave normal law enforcement officials baffled.

Located in a secret location near the river Thames, this is the Ministry that protects all citizens of the Empire from the occult, the paranormal and from secret societies bent on bringing down Old Blighty.

We take only the best, the brightest and the bravest men and women from all the dominions and outposts of civilisation. They are here to protect every one of the citizens of the Empire from threats that would haunt their dreams…if they but knew.

We stand by our motto Umbris occultati, contra furorem.

The New York Crimes
The New York Crimes is a modern radio play. It is about two twentysomething brothers who live an underachieving existence in Brooklyn, until they are hired by a reclusive writer to be private investigators for his detective agency.

Mahabharata
Mahabharata is one of the major epics of the World. It tells the story of mankind in a way which is unparalleled in world literature. Although considered by many as a Mythology, it is, in fact, the cultural history of the people of the Bharata land (India). The characters of the Mahabharata might be fictitious, but their dreams, ambitions, and flaws are very real and still exists in us. The great sage Maharishi Krishna Dwaipayan Vyasa composed the epic in Sanskrit. Later many others have contributed to the storyline. Storytellers over the ages have told the stories of Mahabharata in different anguages. Over the ages, the epic has inspired many artists, poets, writers, filmmakers, theater directors and playwrights to create new works of art. Peter Brook directed the nine-hours long play “The Mahabharata” in 1985 with an international cast. The play was staged at many venues around the World. Later, it was made into a film in 1989. The TV series Mahabharata made by B.R. Chopra is still regarded as a landmark in Indian television.

Now we make another attempt to tell the stories of Mahabharata in English for EBC radio of New Jersey.

Star Wars: In the Shadows
Born and raised in a military family, Emma Wermis will slowly discover that the Empire is not what she always been taught it was. Her allegiance to the Empire will be tested and she will, during her adventures, uncover something about her family and a secret weapon kept hidden even within the Empire.

One Among the Sleepless
"SEX, DEATH, AND NOISY NEIGHBOURS"

A killer has come to town. The victims are connected; each pointing to the next, as if in answer to the question: Who is The One?

Is it Peter Reynolds: mild-mannered office clerk pouring petrol through his neighbour’s letterbox in the middle of the night?

Is it Wayne Dolan: a man whose sexual fantasies about his neighbour spiral into dangerous obsession when he learns of her secret life as a dominatrix?

Or is it Gaz: leader of three friends who love nothing more than sex, weed and partying? All women are easy prey for his charms. All except Sally. And the one who doesn’t want him, is the one he has to have – whether she likes it or not.

Mick Nixon has to find the connection, because people are disappearing - and if he and Sally are ever going to share more than just lunch, he’d better hurry up, or they could be next.

I'm glad that we finally have a thread for fictional podcasts. I've already been listening to all podcasts from the LORE thread (Limetown, Tanis, TBT, The Message) and always felt that a general thread for these would be better.

I really like horror and mystery podcasts, so I gave King Falls AM a chance, since the premise sounded great. Sadly, it wasn't really for me. I really like the idea of a late night radio show from a Twin Peaks/Bright Falls-esque town, but the characters are basically all cartoon characters, hammed up to 11, which totally ruins the mood they're going for. It also has the same issue as Tanis and The Black Tapes, where it picks up a lot of real life or otherwise known references and just throws them in there, instead of building a proper story, like Limetown. At least Tanis and TBT have a way better vibe than KFA. But it's not all terrible. Few episodes, like the alien abduction ones, are pretty good, so I won't unsubscribe from it yet.

The next podcast I listened to over the weekend was Incomparable Radio Theater and I loved it. The style is great and in a way it even reminded me of the parodies in Bioshock. Love it, can't wait for more.

I think I'm going to subscribe to We're Alive next. I find zombies incredibly boring, but I can look past that, if the atmosphere and vibe is great.

Sulik2

The Message was short and pretty well done. I'm really enjoying Tanis so far. Once I finish that one I will start the Black Tapes.

Malyse

The Message was short and pretty well done. I'm really enjoying Tanis so far. Once I finish that one I will start the Black Tapes.

Irony. Tanis was made after Black Tapes. In fact, the last episode of the season is a promo for Tanis.

adj_noun

After listening to a few in the OP, Serial's overall impact on documentary style audio was pretty immense. You can hear their style over multiple shows.

Majestad

Banned
It's heeeere:

CZF3Y4XUMAAj68m.png

Halcyon

I'm lost. I got addicted to Serial the other week.

I got bored with Lore and I couldn't get past the acting in We're Alive. I started listening to The Black Tapes podcast but I lost track of what was going on and who everyone was around episode 6 or 7.

Is there anything that is as interesting and gripping as Serial? I wish A Life Well Wasted had a huge backlog :/

Majestad

Banned

I got bored with Lore and I couldn't get past the acting in We're Alive. I started listening to The Black Tapes podcast but I lost track of what was going on and who everyone was around episode 6 or 7.

Is there anything that is as interesting and gripping as Serial? I wish A Life Well Wasted had a huge backlog :/

Just listen to TBT from the beginning. The episodes are only around 30 minutes long, so is not like it is gonna be a long grind to catch up. I feel the mystery of the show is awesome and keeps you waiting for the next episode.

Personally I like Criminal
http://thisiscriminal.com/

Malyse

You want Limetown.

Subbing for more suggestions but also wanted to say The Black Tapes has some really bad acting only being 3 episodes in. It's hard to just go along with it with some of the most cheesiest lines and how they're said. Hoping it gets better though, cause I'm definitely interested.

Been listening to a lot of Nosleep after some gaffers recommended it in the Lore thread. I bought the season 3 pass and really enjoyed the variety in setting/subject matter that pops up in the paid versions.

Jharp

King Falls sounds rad, gonna check it out. I fucking LOVE Welcome to Night Vale, but I've only just started. I'm on episode 21.

I also listened to a chunk of Nosleep and I hate to be a negative nancy, but man that got real bad. It was like 80% utter utter trash, with the occasional good or even great story every few episodes, and a small but fair amount of bad but entertaining episodes. I tried to like it up through the second paid season, I really did, but I just couldn't stick with it.

I've decided to listen to the entire first season of The Black Tapes again, before I start with the second one. I'm in the middle of the second episode and it's still weird how much they're copying Serial. The theme music is kind of annoying, because of it.

Malyse

What should I try if I loved We're Alive? Couldn't get into leviathan chronicles or Welcome to NV.
No sleep podcast or Limetown. Depends on *why* you liked it
Personally, I'm stoked by this trend. I find anything vintage from the 30s-50s to be oddly but undeniably charming, and that feeling goes a long way for nostalgic retro callbacks too.
Look forward to the February update.

Also, to be fair, only PNWS (and really only The Black Tapes) and The Message were aping Serial. Limetown was in production far ahead of Serial's launch.

Halcyon

The Message is divisive. Just go to Limetown. I think it's what you really want.

I'm doing it. It's downloading. I'm holding you personally responsible for my enjoyment as I try to pretend to work and listen to something to forget about pretending to work.

God, I think I would enjoy Black Tapes sooo much more if Strand was just cast differently or just wasn't involved as much. Every time him and Alex interact I'm just cringing the entire damn time.

Malyse

God, I think I would enjoy Black Tapes sooo much more if Strand was just cast differently or just wasn't involved as much. Every time him and Alex interact I'm just cringing the entire damn time.
I always laugh when their accents slip. It's a solidly midtier show. It's not great, but I've heard some legitimately awful shows and midtier is fine by me.

I always laugh when their accents slip. It's a solidly midtier show. It's not great, but I've heard some legitimately awful shows and midtier is fine by me.

For me it's just the delivery of the writing some times. I get that he's supposed to be a cocky dick but half the time the way the lines are delivered I just want to yell "People don't talk like that!". He also repeats himself so damn much and then his attempts at jokes while still trying to be the dickhead just comes off so bad.

Just venting. Hoping second season is just better maybe? Or maybe Tanis is better.

Malyse

For me it's just the delivery of the writing some times. I get that he's supposed to be a cocky dick but half the time the way the lines are delivered I just want to yell "People don't talk like that!". He also repeats himself so damn much and then his attempts at jokes while still trying to be the dickhead just comes off so bad.

Just venting. Hoping second season is just better maybe? Or maybe Tanis is better.
I've liked Tanis more of the two.

The problem with Tanis is that Nic is an idiot on the level of Solid Snake, who repeats everything that's been said to him.

"...and then there was this that strange phenomenon."
"strange phenomenon?!"

But I think it got better in the later episodes. That, or I don't notice it as much anymore.

The problem with Tanis is that Nic is an idiot on the level of Solid Snake, who repeats everything that's been said to him.

"...and then there was this that strange phenomenon."
"strange phenomenon?!"

But I think it got better in the later episodes. That, or I don't notice it as much anymore.

I feel like this is the reason I only focus on Strand in Black Tapes. I think I've gotten used to most of the one off people that come in and out as middling. Strand would probably be the same if he wasn't in every episode.

I've liked Tanis more of the two.

I like Tanis more, because I'm more into cosmic horror stuff, but I wish they'd stop using real life references all the time and instead use them as a blueprint for their own stories. It really takes me out of it. Imagine if Alex and Strand were discussing "Slender Man" instead of "the tall black shadow/figure/man" in TBT. It would probably annoy me just as much.

Halcyon

I tried Tanis yesterday and got bored.

I'm currently on episode 3 of Limetown. It's alright. It's not giving me the hook i'm craving.

I feel like I just binged breaking bad and I'm trying to replicate it by watching episodes of Psyche or something.

Ophelion

Tanis has a character that is equally annoying to me in a completely different way.

I think my biggest issue with both is that whoever is writing these shows has a personal voice that comes through with nearly every character, regardless of that character's background, place of origin or age. It's really transparent that all these lines were thought up by a single person. Someone needs to explain to the writer that characterizing someone is as much if not more about word choice and syntax as it is about a solid accent (such as even those can be on their shows.)

There's just a cadence to all dialog. It's really distracting because it exposes the artificiality of the thing. I like the ideas being pursued on both shows enough to overlook these kinds of presentation flaws, but every once in a while this shows up:

Person 1: I thought this thing was going on.

(a pause)

Person 2: But it wasn't?

Person 1: No.

Person 2: No?

Person 1: No. [Exposition dump]

That exact structure to an interview, doesn't matter if the host is person 1 or 2. Doesn't matter if they're talking to an old man or a young mother. Just vary your structure a little bit, PNW Stories! Don't be so lazy. Drives me up the wall.

Tanis has a character that is equally annoying to me in a completely different way.

I think my biggest issue with both is that whoever is writing these shows has a personal voice that comes through with nearly every character, regardless of that character's background, place of origin or age. It's really transparent that all these lines were thought up by a single person. Someone needs to explain to the writer that characterizing someone is as much if not more about word choice and syntax as it is about a solid accent (such as even those can be on their shows.)

There's just a cadence to all dialog. It's really distracting because it exposes the artificiality of the thing. I like the ideas being pursued on both shows enough to overlook these kinds of presentation flaws, but every once in a while this shows up:

That exact structure to an interview, doesn't matter if the host is person 1 or 2. Doesn't matter if they're talking to an old man or a young mother. Just vary your structure a little bit, PNW Stories! Don't be so lazy. Drives me up the wall.

Add to this the whole professional talking about something in their field, uses big words, second person repeats the word or asks "In layman terms?", followed by the professional further explaining something they would go on to explain anyways.

People in these professions understand that most people have no clue what they are saying, they wouldn't wait until someone asks for them to explain. This is used so many times it's frustrating.

"What's a podcast?" "It's like the radio, but on the internet." Any editor of this type of program would leave that shit out. Also the whole "I'm a big fan of your work, blah blah blah."

The more I listen the more I'm starting to hate, but I'm almost done.

Top Bottom