• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXVI Twitter account registered, looks to be with official SQEnix account (to the happening bunker!)

Oddspeak

I wonder, does any other franchise have as many "fans" who've been seething about said franchise for a decade like Final Fantasy does? It's like saying you're a regular at a bar you haven't been in since 2007.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Faithless83

Banned
FF7R was a move towards a good direction IMHO.
Team Luminous is doing their on thing, FF7 team is working on FF7R-2, what are the KH team doing since KH3? They are pretty much silent, right? Also Square moved teams around before... who knows, maybe it's in production for a while already. Specially if they are using UE.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I'm probably misremembering, but I believe there was an admin-verified person on the other site that said FFXVI was closer than most would expect, and they weren't sure why it wasn't included in the June PS5 show, as it was far enough along to be shown then.

I went back and found this, but I don't think this was the person. Might've been; not sure.
YIltw8H.png

Late August - Early Sept? Wow what a hard and perfectly detaild prediction. It must be true.

• LOL

Zephir

If FFXVI is really in development, it probably means that the next FF7 Remake episode will be the final one.

I don't know how big SE is, but I can't imagine it having so many employers, they can work on these many AAA jrpgs (ff16, ff7remake saga, athia) alongside the stuff we're kinda expecting (new ffxiv expansions, new kingdom hearts things, TWEWY 2)...unless they refocus other teams to this project, like Tokyo RPG Factory

E.T. Waifu

If FFXVI is really in development, it probably means that the next FF7 Remake episode will be the final one.

I don't know how big SE is, but I can't imagine it having so many employers, they can work on these many AAA jrpgs (ff16, ff7remake saga, athia) alongside the stuff we're kinda expecting (new ffxiv expansions, new kingdom hearts things, TWEWY 2)...unless they refocus other teams to this project, like Tokyo RPG Factory
Same, I'm pretty sure it'll be two parts. It's not just about how many people work on it, but about how much it'll sell. No matter how good it'll turn out to be, the sales will always be lower than the one before it.

mortal

Gold Member
It is pretty likely if you ask me given that FF VII Remake is also a timed exclusive
Yep, they have a strong rapport.

In addition that, we know now that Sony are aggressively pursuing PS5 exclusivity deals with major 3rd party developers.

. they could have done so much more to make midgar feel big, open and make the game feel adventurous... ya know, like the RPGs squaresoft used to make? but its square enix and theyve let me down with just about every single game release since FFX (i didnt play XI or XIV)

FF7 Midgar part had always been linear, what are you talking about? The game after midgar is when the game opened to a world map.

EDMIX

Unlikely. Square is made up of many teams....

Bkdk

I bet they will just make ff7 remake part 2 into ff16. With the remake’s ending they can create a lot of new additions to the game and make it a sequel of ff7. This will likely be the way FF is moving forward and I have no complaints for that, the remake shows that they are better at making FF with classic titles’ assets as their blueprint.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
And it'll probably be the PlayStation 5's swan song

Hudo

That was a tech demo that became Project Athia.

W15BUlR.gif
Ah, damn. I liked the original setting from Agni's Philosophy and could've seen it serving as a setting for the next FF... now I'm sad.

Do we know who the director of FF16 might be? Maybe my man Hiroyuki Ito? FF12 is the second best FF, IMHO.

mortal

Gold Member
Ah, damn. I liked the original setting from Agni's Philosophy and could've seen it serving as a setting for the next FF... now I'm sad.

Do we know who the director of FF16 might be? Maybe my man Hiroyuki Ito? FF12 is the second best FF, IMHO.
Why sad? I'd be excited.

This is a completely new IP being developed by a newly formed Square Enix studio working exclusively with the latest interaction of the Luminous Engine with PS5's SDD loading in mind.
They won't be beholden to any of the conventions or expectations that come with a huge brand name like Final Fantasy. They'll be free to experiment considerably more than a FF team would be able to.

As far as FFXVI info, there is nothing official or known about this project. So if this twitter account is legit and alludes to an imminent announcement, we'll be getting the first official information for FFXVI soon.
Hiroyuki Ito as the director for FFXVI would be amazing, loved FFIX & FFXII.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Can't wait to see the era meltdown when it's announced as PS5 timed exclusive.

If anything it's the other way around.
If it's announced as a Sony timed exclusive, even if it's as unmemorable if not outright mediocre as FFXII, FFXIII and especially FFXV, we have to pretend it's a masterpiece until it turns multiplatform. Then it gets judged fairly.
Sony fans managed to outdo Nintendo fans in how excessive the overrating of first party titles and exclusives in general is.

Last edited:

E.T. Waifu

FFX was weird as fuck, I consider it waterpunk hahah like water world but still with tech. Also, lots of zippers. I would love it they went back to medieval fantasy, ff ix, steam like the most advanced thing.
IV still had some sci fi stuff in it. Not a whole lot, but it did. SE loves it and I think they do a great job with it as long as they keep it well balanced. XIII was not balanced, and while Cocoon's area designs were fantastic, it got old fast.

EDMIX

I bet they will just make ff7 remake part 2 into ff16. With the remake’s ending they can create a lot of new additions to the game and make it a sequel of ff7. This will likely be the way FF is moving forward and I have no complaints for that, the remake shows that they are better at making FF with classic titles’ assets as their blueprint.

Thats funny if they really end up doing that, but unlikely (naming it FF16 anyway)

I think its likely they have that team continue with FFVII remake stuff even after the main story is done. I think they will do a Advent Children type game and it wouldn't shock me if they do a prequel. I think its a good idea as FFVII universe has a lot of life in it and it wouldn't stop Square's other teams from focusing on KH, FF MMO, main FF titles etc.

I also think they'll do a Crisis Core remake.

Fbh

Whenever this gets announced, remember this was the big announcement trailer for XV:

Half of this shit wasn't even the game itself but a paid CGI prologue movie, and the other half was either completely missing or severely downgraded in the final game.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Whenever this gets announced, remember this was the big announcement trailer for XV:

Half of this shit wasn't even the game itself but a paid CGI prologue movie, and the other half was either completely missing or severely downgraded in the final game.

Ugh it still hurts.

What could've been...

Whatever happened to that moderator who was very frequent in posting in the FF Versus XIII/FFXV posts before the game out and was very mad that Stella got axed?

PresetError

Neophyte
Something is coming very soon. First the PS5 pre-pre-orders, then the private videos on official Playstation accounts, now this...

Isa

Gold Member
I'll be happy as long as Nomura is nowhere near the project. FF needs a break from his ...antics. I don't mind the setting as long as the game has a decent party, character design, and a good sense of adventure. I want that fantasy escapism of yore. I'd love a proper game with an overworld but doubt it, they love the hallway funnel game design. Medieval Steampunk with proper summons that can be performed any damn time I wish and less zippers would be appreciated.

I have a hunch that Project Athia is a pseudo sequel to FFXV and may be the real FFXVI. I don't want to believe it but have this nagging feeling. That landscape is too familiar.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I counted the asterisks and was thrown off by an extra in the domain name. Turns out they use "square-enix" and not "squareenix" though :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
What's the fa short for? It's followed by seven asterisks.

If I had to guess, I would say fantasy16@square-enix.com is the email address. That's just based on the number of characters preceding the @ symbol. it could also be fantasyus, fantasyjp, fantasyse, etcetera. That is, of course, assuming the "fa" is short for "fantasy" in the first place.

Last edited:

Myths

Interesting.

If this is legit, it's lining up with the rumored September 9th PS5 Showcase.

Could FFXVI be another timed PS5 exclusive from Square Enix?

That was a tech demo that became Project Athia.

W15BUlR.gif
I'm pretty much sticking to this story: that it went on to become this IP instead.

And I feel for the "what could've been" from that XV trailer, let alone from the 2011 Versus XIII Production Department Trailer. Bare disappointment.

I'll be happy as long as Nomura is nowhere near the project. FF needs a break from his ...antics. I don't mind the setting as long as the game has a decent party, character design, and a good sense of adventure. I want that fantasy escapism of yore. I'd love a proper game with an overworld but doubt it, they love the hallway funnel game design. Medieval Steampunk with proper summons that can be performed any damn time I wish and less zippers would be appreciated.

I have a hunch that Project Athia is a pseudo sequel to FFXV and may be the real FFXVI. I don't want to believe it but have this nagging feeling. That landscape is too familiar.
Most agreed, it'd be nice to see Ito or new blood to lead the way with perspective and experience from way back when up until now. Having seen the road the franchise has taken, knowing it's well due for something inspiring the lightheart of V, epics of III, and world of VI.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Meh, I won't even get excited.
After the crappy emo j-pop FFXV, I fully expect FFXVI to be 2 danger hair girls, 1 soyboy and 1 black trans in a stupid quest to find the dildo of extreme anal happiness with many similarly stupid or heavily political side quests.

Isa

Gold Member
Most agreed, it'd be nice to see Ito or new blood to lead the way with perspective and experience from way back when up until now. Having seen the road the franchise has taken, knowing it's well due for something inspiring the lightheart of V, epics of III, and world of VI.
That'd be nice. I think new talent could work well for the franchise. A change in aesthetic and maybe even storytelling style could do wonders to attract both the older audience as well as the new alike.

Ixion

Whatever happened to that moderator who was very frequent in posting in the FF Versus XIII/FFXV posts before the game out and was very mad that Stella got axed?

That was Kagari. Haven't seen her around here in a long while.

Meh, I won't even get excited.
After the crappy emo j-pop FFXV, I fully expect FFXVI to be 2 danger hair girls, 1 soyboy and 1 black trans in a stupid quest to find the dildo of extreme anal happiness with many similarly stupid or heavily political side quests.

This is my #1 concern right now. The main writer that Square-Enix hired for Project Athia has full on TDS according to his twitter feed. But I'm assuming they'll at least stick to their in-house writers for a mainline FF, but who knows.

In the name of all that is holy, please put the greater focus on FFVII: Remake. Get that out the door and then we'll talk about what should constitute future FF iterations.

Top Bottom