• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXVI Twitter account registered, looks to be with official SQEnix account (to the happening bunker!)

BRZBlue

I'm excited to see Final Fantasy XVI announced. It will probably be medieval fantasy or something new.

I don't think Japanese developers care about that stuff.

They care, within reason. FFXIV got flack from South Korean players for being involved in a pride parade (South Korea tends to be very homophobic). The response from Yoshi-P was basically the polite version of "tough shit".

That being said, they aren't about the uberwoke "everything is racist everything is sexist" element. The Japanese tend to make great female characters (heck FFXIV is full of them, Ysayle, Yotsuyu, Alisae, Y'shtola) in addition to fanservicey waifus.

They care, within reason. FFXIV got flack from South Korean players for being involved in a pride parade (South Korea tends to be very homophobic). The response from Yoshi-P was basically the polite version of "tough shit".

That being said, they aren't about the uberwoke "everything is racist everything is sexist" element. The Japanese tend to make great female characters (heck FFXIV is full of them, Ysayle, Yotsuyu, Alisae, Y'shtola) in addition to fanservicey waifus.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm just getting tired of reading about how a new game will be more diverse and inclusive and whatnot. Especially when previous installments of the series don't point to any evidence of it happening.

I don't like it when it does happen but wouldn't expect any Japanese developer to go down that route.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
UPDATE
Now being rumoured to be dropping in the PS5 showcase (maybe as a teaser), which makses sense as Sqaure also have a showcase two days later at PAX

====

Similar to the fable account dealio?

image0.png

giphy.gif

Excellent News!!!!

Will get the game as swan song of PS6.

Vawn

Banned
If PS5 has Demon's Souls, exclusive Final Fantasy XVI and Silent Hill, they can charge whatever they want and I'll be there day one.

Games trump everything else

Last edited:

wolywood

If PS5 has Demon's Souls, exclusive Final Fantasy XVI and Silent Hill, they can charge whatever they want and I'll be there day one.

Games trump everything else

I will kind of miss the flat, soulless voice acting of the original Silent Hill....somehow that made it even scarier.

Paracelsus

The setting doesn't matter, the production matters, the team and the director.
You got FFIX, you also got FFXII.
As for me, I'd be happy if the story wasn't depressing and they nailed the character designs, which they haven't been able to do lately.
We'll see about gameplay, mainline FF has been a "miss" for a while, but FFVIIr wasn't, so maybe they'll just rework that system kinda like FFX and FFX-2.

Last edited:
I'm expecting the world and its characters to look completely different from Final Fantasy XV. It's only natural with every new main entry. And as much as people give the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy crap, they at least had interesting, varied character designs. Final Fantasy IX and A Realm Reborn are quintessential, most recognizable and arguably best of Final Fantasy though.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Oh yeah, XIV really nailed the female characters. They're not cliches, they have personality, they're not just eye candy, they are different, unique and interesting. They're "strong female characters" without it being forced and thus feel unnatural, like the west does.

Last edited:

Myths

Some of that high fantasy ala 1-6, with the crystals, forests, and castles. And stuff. And the dark eye liner. And stuff. Give.

This kind of adventure and score. Sure I can go play the same old, but I want it in 4K with some kind of twist to the setting and mechanics for this next entry.

Last edited:

SilentUser

The setting doesn't matter, the production matters, the team and the director.
You got FFIX, you also got FFXII.
As for me, I'd be happy if the story wasn't depressing and they nailed the character designs, which they haven't been able to do lately.
We'll see about gameplay, mainline FF has been a "miss" for a while, but FFVIIr wasn't, so maybe they'll just rework that system kinda like FFX and FFX-2.
Completely agreed. I really new some great character design, it doesn't matter the setting, imo. Though, I would love to see some classic medieval Final Fantasy again.

EDMIX

I hope they release a full game and not like XV where you had to wait like over a year to get all the side chapters.

Illogical. You could argue FFX is not the "full game" cause FFX-2 releases or Witcher 3 isn't a "full game" cause all that dlc that released or any KH game isn't the "full game" cause remixes that release after or something. FFXV is very much a full game, those other side things are simply that....."side chapters", its simply offers optional content.

Bought none of it and had no issue completing it at 80 hours or so and very much understanding I got a full game.

Last edited:

Patterson

Illogical. You could argue FFX is not the "full game" cause FFX-2 releases or Witcher 3 isn't a "full game" cause all that dlc that released or any KH game isn't the "full game" cause remixes that release after or something. FFXV is very much a full game, those other side things are simply that....."side chapters", its simply offers optional content.

Bought none of it and had no issue completing it at 80 hours or so and very much understanding I got a full game.
I finished it as well, platinum'd it even. Loved everything about it until the ending which I thought was kind of weak. There were parts of the story that didn't flow right in my opinion and I think it was because of those missing extra chapters.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I finished it as well, platinum'd it even. Loved everything about it until the ending which I thought was kind of weak. There were parts of the story that didn't flow right in my opinion and I think it was because of those missing extra chapters.

I agree the ending was kind of weak and story was just bad.....

Doesn't actually mean I support this idea that it was not a full game or something. It simply a game where the story isn't that great.... For all you know they are simply taking that criticism to change things in those chapters, which means you likely don't even get those chapters with those story changes if they just kept developing until 2019 or something.

So I think the extras are simply just extras, I don't see them as being inevitable as if they are the rest of the game or the game isn't full etc. I simply think the game before those extras wasn't that great in terms of a story, but that doesn't really mean the game wasn't a full game. A full game can have a shitty story...

Think about it like this...

Lets say FFXVI comes out and you LOVE the story, put 80 hours in it and complete it..... then they add more chapters like they did with FFXV. Does that mean they complete FFXVI, but FFXV wasn't complete at release or something? Its why I'm careful not to throw around this idea that a game is not full simply cause I hated the story. You can hate a story to a game that pretty damn complete and full, simply means the story was shit lol. Thats how I see FFXV. Any of the changes made, were likely made based on feed back, as in it was NEVER going to be in the final game in the first place, it was always going to be something that was subject to change based on how people reacted to the story (maybe as for all we know they already had plans for that side chapter stuff). Simply speculating.

Prob a 2022 title. It doesn't get better than a Sony showcase to announce your game. Not only will you market the game to your most favorable target audience (PS owners by and large consume this franchise the most), but also all media eyes will be fixated on the show. The very definition of a win-win + some more win.

Last edited:
I don't care when they release FFXVI as long as they don't release it rushed. I loved the beginning of Final Fanstasy XV with the huge open world (except for the fighting system), but once you leave that area its clear that, SE didn't had much time left and just filled the rest with uninspired environments and even the story was unsatisfying. It felt like playing a completely different game. Didn't play the royal edition with it's enhancements, but they surely couldn't fix everything.

EDMIX

I don't care when they release FFXVI as long as they don't release it rushed. I loved the beginning of Final Fanstasy XV with the huge open world (except for the fighting system), but once you leave that area its clear that, SE didn't had much time left and just filled the rest with uninspired environments and even the story was unsatisfying. It felt like playing a completely different game. Didn't play the royal edition with it's enhancements, but they surely couldn't fix everything.

Nah. I hated FFXV's story, but that game was anything but "rushed". My god, the game took so long to make, its literally the opposite of that...

" but once you leave that area its clear that, SE didn't had much time left" yea I see no evidence of that... What are you going to say? Square needed 15 years to make FFXV instead of 10? Do some of you hear yourselves or? So I'd be the first to say I didn't like FFXV's story and felt much more could be done with the world, but I'd never argue it was rushed or they ran out of time or anything silly like that as factually not much even points to that, for god sakes...they had MORE TIME then MOST to even do such a concept.

Did Witcher 3 have 10 years development? Did Fallout 4 have 10 years development? Yet look at what they do with their worlds, NPCs etc

Really, really think about it... You have 2 cooks, you ask each to make a fucking omelet.... Cook A makes it in 10 minutes. You taste it, buttery, fluffy, perfect. Cook B takes 4 hours, you taste it and it lacks salt, its green for some reason and its very hard like its been deep fried yet you didn't hear a fryer back there......

Are you completely sure that Cook B needed more time? So I agree with you the story isn't that great and the over world could have been better (tbh most Final Fantasy open worlds are actually like this btw...), but ultimately I see no evidence that this team needed more time. At this point, arguing that they need more time is basically saying they simply are not as good as everyone else in theses areas. So if Square needs more time for FFXV, wtf is going on at Sucker Punch?

Ghost Of Tsushima was development in about 6 years, almost half the time it took to make FFXV yet look at how they crafted their open world. Sucker Punch got magic? They rushed Ghost? I don't think so, I think Square simply had trouble on FFXV in terms of its concept and story and no amount of extra time given was going to make it that much better then what it was. So I think they did ok for what they were given regarding FFXV even if I didn't like the story, but I don't buy that it was rushed as 10 years development by no fucking means is "rushed".

Ghost Of Tsushima should be in shambles right now based on that logic lol

Patterson

I agree the ending was kind of weak and story was just bad.....

Doesn't actually mean I support this idea that it was not a full game or something. It simply a game where the story isn't that great.... For all you know they are simply taking that criticism to change things in those chapters, which means you likely don't even get those chapters with those story changes if they just kept developing until 2019 or something.

So I think the extras are simply just extras, I don't see them as being inevitable as if they are the rest of the game or the game isn't full etc. I simply think the game before those extras wasn't that great in terms of a story, but that doesn't really mean the game wasn't a full game. A full game can have a shitty story...

Think about it like this...

Lets say FFXVI comes out and you LOVE the story, put 80 hours in it and complete it..... then they add more chapters like they did with FFXV. Does that mean they complete FFXVI, but FFXV wasn't complete at release or something? Its why I'm careful not to throw around this idea that a game is not full simply cause I hated the story. You can hate a story to a game that pretty damn complete and full, simply means the story was shit lol. Thats how I see FFXV. Any of the changes made, were likely made based on feed back, as in it was NEVER going to be in the final game in the first place, it was always going to be something that was subject to change based on how people reacted to the story (maybe as for all we know they already had plans for that side chapter stuff). Simply speculating.
My take on it, is that they had a plan all along to make the game with dlc chapters after release, but fucked it up with how to tell the story in a cohesive way by leaving stuff out and expecting the gamer to fill in the blanks. Some of those gaps made more sense if you had bought the dlc (that's what I hear since I didn't buy it). And I think that sucks for someone buying day one like me, when you consider the final dlc of like 5 came out like a year later?

Last edited:
I just want a fantasy world being encroached on by technology, like we got in VI and XIV. The intro sequence to VI being one of the strongest examples I can remember, with the steampunk-esque magitech meksuits trudging through the snow to raid a small village. I love that aesthetic.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

This game is probably still 10 years away
Assuming it's likely this Yoshida's 3rd Division Project, it's been in development since 2016 and moved to full scale development around April 2019, so it's farther along than you think.

Naoki Yoshida said:
“Based on the former 5th Business Division, the newly established Third Development Division has started work on a new key project following Final Fantasy XIV, taking up a challenge for the next generation,” Yoshida said in a message. “This project has already finished early development, as well as preparation of the development environment, and is now moving into the full-blown, large-scale development phase. The new project is seeking developers who want to deliver both ‘fun’ and ‘enjoyment’ to the world, as well as ‘surprise.’ If you want to challenge the world market, then we look forward to your application.”

Last edited:
Good to know we are getting the next Final Fantasy! 2025 can't come soon enough!
Yeah hard to get excited about a thing that's not happening until at least mid-late next gen...

Assuming it's likely this Yoshida's 3rd Division Project, it's been in development since 2016 and moved to full scale development around April 2019, so it's farther along than you think.
Have you looked at the track record of Square Enix's internally developed AAA games for the last 2 generations?

YukiOnna

Have you looked at the track record of Square Enix's internally developed AAA games for the last 2 generations?
If we're talking recently, FFVIIR and KH3 came out in ample time despite being announced early even with their confirmed delay and they were successes. And FFXIV ARR was a complete turn around in which the development length shouldn't have been that short yet it was and was also a success. This would supposedly be by that same Division and a project being in full development bodes well. For me, I noticed things changed after Wada left and Matsuda was instated, there were some harsh decisions on projects under Wada's reign, but he made a lot of good decisions to push for certain titles to release in a timely manner at least.

I'm not saying you shouldn't doubt them, but I see things are turning around at least. Above all, I have no reason to doubt Yoshi-P's project (FFXVI or not) yet given what he and his team did with FFXIV. Just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Yeah hard to get excited about a thing that's not happening until at least mid-late next gen...

Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Rebooted in 2012, as it was moved to Luminous Studio and turned into XV. Four years of development.
Kingdom Hearts 3. Started around 2012~ as a title powered by Luminous until in october 2014 they decided to drop that engine and move to Unreal 4. That's four and a half years of development since they shifted game engines.
Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Started in 2015 and initially co-developed by CyberConnect2. However Square Enix was not satisfied with CC2's work, so they took them out of the project and discarded all of their work - this was back in early 2017. Three years of development since FF7R became a fully internally-developed Square Enix title.

That's not different from CDProjekt RED's development cycle on Cyberpunk 2077. The project started around 2012, but it wasn't until mid 2016 that they started to work on the final iteration of the game that will see the light of day this november - a little over four years of development time since the project's reboot in 2016.

Sorry but Final Fantasy XV was rushed, that means the final product that we got. If you watch old videos you can clearly see that most got scrapped and there were multiple restarts on the project. I kept a close eye on the game all these years, in the hope that it will be a more traditional Final Fantasy game as promised in the beginning. I still remember the interviews where it was said, that there will be a classical world map and that fights would be turned based. But even when watching the videos from the more recent E3s, you can see how much the game has changed.

Being in a long development hell does not mean a game can be rushed in the end, for example lets say you have worked on a game for 10 years, but then you decide to scrap everything and start from new and release it after 3 years, this does not mean your game was in development for 13 years, just that the original game was cancelled and the new game was in development for 3 years. Look at Duke Nukem Forever, you can clearly see that Gearbox tried their best to take what they had and somehow tie it all together and make it work, but it all feels rushed and unpolished.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

It's an FF game. They're probably in development year 3 out of 6, busy redeveloping the game for the second time and still unsure of the final direction.

But they know how many extra belt buckles the main character's outfit has.

Sorta.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Rebooted in 2012, as it was moved to Luminous Studio and turned into XV. Four years of development.
Kingdom Hearts 3. Started around 2012~ as a title powered by Luminous until in october 2014 they decided to drop that engine and move to Unreal 4. That's four and a half years of development since they shifted game engines.
Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Started in 2015 and initially co-developed by CyberConnect2. However Square Enix was not satisfied with CC2's work, so they took them out of the project and discarded all of their work - this was back in early 2017. Three years of development since FF7R became a fully internally-developed Square Enix title.

That's not different from CDProjekt RED's development cycle on Cyberpunk 2077. The project started around 2012, but it wasn't until mid 2016 that they started to work on the final iteration of the game that will see the light of day this november - a little over four years of development time since the project's reboot in 2016.
Hilarious response. Your post has everything in it to support what I say.

You don't get to decided what part of development counts. Time that was spent prior to a reboot is still development, and work prior to reboots still contribute to final product whether it's concept, designs, or knowing what not to do having fucked up once. That's all part of the development, counting towards the years.

By your measure, The next FFXVI's development may have well not started if they reboot it in an upcoming year.

DJT123

Only way we'd get a guaranteed great AAA JRPG is if Square-Enix give Falcom or Atlus money to make one. I'm over their (S.E) output.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

not to mention, if yoshida is somehow involved, that guy track record of handling XIV prove how good he is at management. He highlight the importance of this aspect in Noclip documentary, and at other interview how he managing massive meticulous excel spreadsheet that covering development progress. XIV reboot is developed only around 2 years, which is crazy considering the team also updating the 1.0 game. No use of someone has grand vision but poorly executed during development and this guy has the capabilities.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Hilarious response. Your post has everything in it to support what I say.

You don't get to decided what part of development counts. Time that was spent prior to a reboot is still development, and work prior to reboots still contribute to final product whether it's concept, designs, or knowing what not to do having fucked up once. That's all part of the development, counting towards the years.

By your measure, The next FFXVI's development may have well not started if they reboot it in an upcoming year.
My point is that a Square Enix title with no reboots during development takes just as long as any other ambitious AAA game that comes to the market - and hopefully Final Fantasy XVI, which started in 2016, would the first one of those titles with non-troubled development cycles.

I just want fantasy. Not really interested in the modern setting XV went for nor the Sci Fi XIII. Be good if it stuck to fantasy like Eorzea of XIV.
The way things turned up with FFXV, i am starting to suspect they only went for the realism rout because of the line of clothing they released to market under Final Fantasy. It is cynical of me, but i really think FFXV was too arragant for its own good thinking they could make extra money by merchandising jackets.

Last edited:

E.T. Waifu

Only way we'd get a guaranteed great AAA JRPG is if Square-Enix give Falcom or Atlus money to make one. I'm over their (S.E) output.
Falcom and Atlus make very good stuff but their games are always waifu bait shit. It gets repetitive. And as much as you may not like SE, each FF is very different from the last one. This is why the series is still alive after so long.

I can see an episodic releases starting in 2023.
That has NEVER worked out. For ANY company. If you can't make a complete game from start to finish, then cutting it up into pieces just makes the job harder if not impossible. I am saying this despite wanting FF7 remake to stay good in the future.

The time it takes to make games doesn't decrease by half just because you half the playtime length; if anything the total production time gets longer when you add them up. The gaming industry is too unstable, and not designed for consistent output quality. People get fired, quit, or bought out. The boss of the company could change before you ever get to make the final game.

The only game that ever managed to finish episodically was .Hack. And that was because it was a simple single player Roguelike game with a simulated email system. You were playing as an MMO player with bots who pretend to be other humans, in an offline game that pretend to be online. And i am not sure the game was really worth 4 titles.

DJT123

Falcom and Atlus make very good stuff but their games are always waifu bait shit. It gets repetitive. And as much as you may not like SE, each FF is very different from the last one. This is why the series is still alive after so long.
Agree that the more serious tone of SE JRPGS is/should-be a plus. They've just drifted so far off course on writing, characterization and world building that I can't help but dream of an alternative AAA JRPG blockbuster.

mortal

Gold Member
I can see an episodic releases starting in 2023.
Nah that would not fly lol

That was already a contentious move with FFVII Remake being split into multiple full priced releases.

Pulling that bullshit with every mainline entry would just be a sign of greed. They would be sliding into EA territory.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I dont get why Final Fantasy is still so important/relevant for so many people. With the exception of XIV, last 3 or 4 FFs are not great games. Not even OK in some cases.
I recently played FFXV on Gamepass. I did my best, but dropped it after 5hs or so.
Have to mention that I didnt play the remastered FF VII, although if its like the old one with better graphics, then it should be great.

Top Bottom