• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXVI Twitter account registered, looks to be with official SQEnix account (to the happening bunker!)

mortal

Gold Member
In terms of the FF aesthetic, what do people prefer? The gritty futuristic Midgar setting from FF7, or the more fantasy based FF9? I've always preferred the latter, possibly because it creates more of a sense of escapism and wonderment :)
What I liked the most about Final Fantasy games is that every new entry had its own unique art direction. Borrowing from different periods and cultures in real life to create fantastical settings.
Not sure when some fans started boxing things as either sci fi vs medieval or futuristic vs steampunk. The mainline games draw inspiration from a variety of unique source for art direction.

FFVII- borrowed from cyberpunk, dieselpunk, Eastern European culture
FF VIII- borrowed from French culture, futurism, greek culture, modern era.
FFIX- borrowed from Elizabethan era and European cultures, steampunk, industrial revolution.
FFX- borrowed from South East Asian & Pacific Islander cultures. WIth an emphasis on religion & spirituality
FFXII- borrowed from Mediterranean & Arabic cultures, Art Deco era, medieval Europe & Moorish era.
FFXIII- has arguably the most futuristic art direction thus far. Borrows elements form Catholic religious imagery.
FF XV- with a 'fantasy based on reality' motif, it borrowed a lot from contemporary cultures on Earth. Modern day Tokyo, Americana subculture, Italian & Cuban culture.

With FFXVI I hope they draw inspiration from other interesting cultures & subcultures. Taking on new themes that we haven't see in previous FF games.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Pretty sure it mainly borrowed from Star Wars.
Well that was talking specifically about art direction.

A few narrative ideas for sure, but I don't think it's fair to say it "mainly" borrowed from Star Wars. That's much too reductionist.

Hell even George Lucas borrowed ideas from other works for Star Wars.

Well that was talking specifically about art direction.

A few narrative ideas for sure, but I don't think it's fair to say it "mainly" borrowed from Star Wars. That's much too reductionist.

Hell even George Lucas borrowed ideas from other works for Star Wars.

They're so practically identical it's basically plagiarism.

mortal

Gold Member
They're so practically identical it's basically plagiarism.
If you think so.

1493101301_leonardo-dicaprio-shrugging-his-shoulders.gif

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Remember folks, in a series that legitimately has running gag characters named "Biggs," and "Wedge," it is important to point out influence from Star Wars. This is a smoking gun, and part of the reason Square-Enix should be lambasted for the foreseeable future.

Kumomeme

put aside the twitter account is fake or not, but there highly chances that after more than decade, this gonna be fresh new unannounced unknown FF titles.. we gonna see new world, new setting, new character and since Luminous Production has their hand full with project Athia and other big name like Nomura, Nojima, Toriyama is occupied with VIIR sequel, in first time after long years we probably seeing new team and lead handle the project, assuming those guy not involved including Yasumi Matsuno while Hiroyuki Ito still bussy mopping floor .

This gonna be fresh new start for the franchise with new development team that will carried the torch and set new future for the franchise.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
With FFXVI I hope they draw inspiration from other interesting cultures & subcultures. Taking on new themes that we haven't see in previous FF games.

I'm down with a Pre-historic inspired FF, Assyrian-inspired FF, and/or Victorian-inspired FF.

YukiOnna

Well, the twitter account email matches the English FF accounts email character string outside of the "e." since English. Insiders were saying that it was pulled last minute from the PS5 show for another showcase.

That was Kagari. Haven't seen her around here in a long while.

This is my #1 concern right now. The main writer that Square-Enix hired for Project Athia has full on TDS according to his twitter feed. But I'm assuming they'll at least stick to their in-house writers for a mainline FF, but who knows.

Kagari definitely seemed more of an era type poster back in the day, wouldn't be surprised if she left gaf after the great split with the rest of REE.

cormack12

Gold Member
Now being rumoured to be dropping in the PS5 showcase (maybe as a teaser), which makses sense as Sqaure also have a showcase two days later at PAX

This will give an update on the currently announced games as well as reveal some of the upcoming projects for the PS5, one of which is rumored to be Final Fantasy XVI. To further add some support for the rumor, it was recently discovered that a Twitter account has been made for Final Fantasy XVI that is registered by an official Square Enix domain.

Shinji Hashimoto, who is a key figure for the series at Square Enix has recently retweeted the announcement of the PS5 showcase. He has a tendency to retweet such news if there is an announcement related to the projects that he handles at Square Enix.

Square Enix should really stop letting MMOs into the mainline series. Just label them, "Final Fantasy Online I, Final Fantasy Online II , etc.."

I'm pissed.

Agreed, they have spinoffs that could be on mainline series like Type 0, but then they have mmo's that should be spinoffs, it's all so confusing and irrational.

Kumomeme

Square Enix should really stop letting MMOs into the mainline series. Just label them, "Final Fantasy Online I, Final Fantasy Online II , etc.."

I'm pissed.
I actually appreciate what they did. It simply show that Square commit to treat mmo not merely as spin off title wearing ff skin, for the sake of chasing trend of making mmo but as full fledge final fantasy despite the differences in nature of the game.

It mean the game will gain same attention from them as their main flagship and never less. No second or third class citizen treatment for the game and players. Even it 'online' game, they wont go half assed with it. The result of content, quality, the heavy emphasis of story driven and stellar music presented in XIV prove this. So player who play this will expect similliar experience of playing another mainline numbered final fantasy, not as some cash grab mmo trend with 'Final Fantasy' branding name on it.

also they already put 'online' label which is visible on the logo

logo.png

logo_ff14_Heavensward.jpg

jmK4Q5CcFnBD1FfV90aw1zeUG8.png

they did this since XI

83-837789_final-fantasy-portal-site-final-fantasy-xi-logo.png

Last edited:

Nvzman

GTAV sold 110m and it's garbage, appeal to popularity is what people use to justify garbage.
Source? Or you just taking your opinion and twisting it as fact? While you are right that popularity does not exactly correlate to quality, GTAV is one of the highest ranked games, both critically and casually, ever. Its fine for you not to like something, but acting like no one should like it because you didn't is childish.

If something sells well, a business is going to take it as successful, and understandably so.

Paracelsus

Source? Or you just taking your opinion and twisting it as fact? While you are right that popularity does not exactly correlate to quality, GTAV is one of the highest ranked games, both critically and casually, ever. Its fine for you not to like something, but acting like no one should like it because you didn't is childish.

If something sells well, a business is going to take it as successful, and understandably so.

Jurassic World made 1.4 billion and it's garbage.
The only medium where people are not willing to accept sales don't mean quality is gaming.

E.T. Waifu

I actually appreciate what they did. It simply show that Square treat mmo not merely as spin off title wearing ff skin, for the sake of chasing trend of making mmo but as full fledge final fantasy despite the differences in nature of the game.

It mean the game will gain same attention from them as their main flagship and never less. No second or third class citizen treatment for the game and players. Even it 'online' game, they wont go half assed with it. The result of content, quality, the heavy emphasis of story driven and stellar music presented in XIV prove this. So player who play this will expect similliar experience of playing another mainline numbered final fantasy, not as some cash grab mmo trend with 'Final Fantasy' branding name on it.

also they already put 'online' label which is visible on the logo

logo.png

logo_ff14_Heavensward.jpg

jmK4Q5CcFnBD1FfV90aw1zeUG8.png

they did this since XI

83-837789_final-fantasy-portal-site-final-fantasy-xi-logo.png
Amen

MarlboroRed

Personally I hope they take a solid step back from chasing photo-realism graphics with spikey haired edgy dudes. I know they got the tech for it, but I really loved the more whimsical titles in the franchise that were a little more "out there" in terms of presentation and world-building such as FF9.

spons

Gold Member
I liked almost all Final Fantasy games, including the linear bullshit ones like X and XIII. Color me 60 bucks lighter for whatever they're going to announce next.

Sethbacca

I bet they will just make ff7 remake part 2 into ff16. With the remake’s ending they can create a lot of new additions to the game and make it a sequel of ff7. This will likely be the way FF is moving forward and I have no complaints for that, the remake shows that they are better at making FF with classic titles’ assets as their blueprint.
I would kill for a modernized FF6 in the octopath traveler engine. I don't even need it done FF7R style.

Madflavor

I expect FFXVI to go back to a more traditional medieval fantasy setting, and won’t take 5-10 years to complete either. They’ve already said they’ve restructured their development strategy so these games aren’t stuck in limbo.

YukiOnna

I'm pissed.
No way. XIV's got the best story in a long time, lol. Each expansion is a new mainline FF in my eyes given the length and content so the wait for XVI hasn't bothered me at all. Gameplay rotation and system is top tier, too.

Last edited:

Spokker

I don't want the setting to be techno futuristic. Nor do I want it to be medieval fantasy.

What do I want it to be? You guessed it. Montana circa 1990.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Montana circa 1990.
Set it in 1995.

Then have the character's room have a Super Famicom / SNES hooked up that can play Final Fantasy 1-6 in-game.

Top Bottom