• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXVI Main Scenario Complete, English Voice Recording Nearly Finished; Might not make TGS 2021

YukiOnna

During Final Fantasy XIV‘s 14-hour special broadcast, Final Fantasy XVI producer Naoki Yoshida shared some sparse details on the upcoming and as of now elusive RPG. The game’s main scenario writing has been completed and the team is working its way through the final English voice recording phase – development is going well but it’s difficult because they want to maintain high quality.

As they don’t want to drip-feed information, the next time they do have content to reveal, they want to make sure to convince people to get the game as soon as they see it so they’re still polishing for the re-reveal. Unfortunately, that means Final Fantasy XVI might skip Tokyo Game Show this year, but the team is trying to get it into a playable state by then. That said, it was never going to be at E3.

tenor.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yoshi-P basically said the company wants him to show FF16 at TGS, but he'd rather wait a little longer so they can line it up with a proper release date announcement. Next time they show it, it'll have battle system and other mechanics introduced.

Subbed video:

I wonder if in hindsight these guys will be looked back upon as the ones who pulled SE out of a nasty downward spiral ? I mean obviously the real hero here is Yoshi-P turning around FFXIV from a flaming dumpster fire into a genuine success, but Saito and Yoko have to be seen as doing some heavy lifting in transforming Nier into a substantial franchise with global appeal without compromising their product for a global market.

I mean objectively, on paper neither should have succeeded to anything like the degree they have done. Meanwhile all the "can't miss" stuff like mainline Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts while not disastrous, hasn't really set the world on fire either despite the huge cost and effort poured into making them.

Kumomeme

thanks to yoko taro lol. last time if i remember correct he also the one who squeeze the information from yoshi-p

he seems very excited about the game. which is, could be sign of good things.

Cyberpunkd

Yoshi-P basically said the company wants him to show FF16 at TGS, but he'd rather wait a little longer so they can line it up with a proper release date announcement. Next time they show it, it'll have battle system and other mechanics introduced.

Subbed video:

Yoshi-P is wearing white dial Daytona, nice. A man of taste.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This is the correct call for sure. The first trailer didn't completely blow people away like a FF trailer should. People are still heavily interested though and waiting.

Just fully polish it graphically and then release the next trailer when everything's nearly done.

SkylineRKR

Yoshi P is making the right call.

FFXVI seems to be well underway, but when they show it, it might be just a few months before its on store shelves. I can see this game making it before april 2022. Likely gets shown in Dec. or Jan if it doesn't make TGS.

Elios83

Seems Iike it's targeting a 2022 release and that's great.
I hope that the next trailer still happens this year even if not at TGS.
And btw so much for insiders taking about the FFXVI trailer happening in the last SOP :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Reactions: Isa

OrionNebula

I haven’t been really impressed by a FF game in such a long time, now.
But good on them on the polish and also (hopefully) not a 5-year wait period after reveal. That’s a fine way to go

They better bring the big guns, because a mainline solo FF is probably gonna be a hard sell for some me

Do we know who’s doing the ost this time around?

This is the correct call for sure. The first trailer didn't completely blow people away like a FF trailer should. People are still heavily interested though and waiting.

Just fully polish it graphically and then release the next trailer when everything's nearly done.
The first trailer did look a little rough around the edges but It's only because they chose not to show a completely in-engine or CGI trailer.

swaffles23

I haven’t been really impressed by a FF game in such a long time, now.
But good on them on the polish and also (hopefully) not a 5-year wait period after reveal. That’s a fine way to go

They better bring the big guns, because a mainline solo FF is probably gonna be a hard sell for some me

Do we know who’s doing the ost this time around?
Trailer music is 100% Masayoshi Soken

Last edited:

Fbh

The graphics just didn’t look that good, and the animations were stiff. Definitely was rough. I thought it was a new FF XIV expansion at first.

The visuals and Yoshida are the main reasons I'm looking forward to this.
Square needs to focus less on visuals and more on everything else. XIII looked amazing but was a boring straight line world with no exploration, no towns, no NPC's, no real shops and most side content limited to a single area and delivered through a mute, menu based monolith. XV looked amazing but was an incomplete mess of a game with a terrible plot, boring open world with 2005 F2P MMO style quests, shallow combat and terrible bossfights. 7Remake looked amazing (most of the time) but most of the side content was pretty bland and the level design was very linear with hidden loading in the form of forced walking and squeezing through tight places every 5 fucking minutes (though unlike the other 2, I did at least really enjoy 7Remake)
Not to mention all those games took way too long to release considering the final quality.

I'd rather get a FF with a bit more dated visuals but 60fps, with good combat, a well told and complete story, good level designs, towns, NPC's, fun side activities, etc.

Subbed video:

Is that Yoko Taro with no mask?
Pee Wee Herman Wow GIF

let me guess... it'll be full of stupid looking guys with emo haircuts and riding about on big chickens with silly swords.

edit: yup. more of the same it seems.

iu

I mean...it's FF. Anime hair and big chickens are part of the franchise.
It's like getting mad at a new DOOM game because you fight demons and it has gore.

Last edited:

Shy-Gamer

Neo Member
From what I've seen I'm not particularly excited for this game, but if it's released soon I'll be glad to see SquareEnix prove it can still announce and launch a Final Fantasy game without a PTSD-inducing five-to-ten years-long development hell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom