• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXVI Is God Of War 4 And I Am STOKED

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
He meant the original trilogy.

Saying that the open world-ish structure is meant be similar to the modern god of wars
Even if we are talking old trilogy, those games had fix camera with very different combat system. Also its opens structure is much more similar to other JRPG like how DQXI and Xenoblade did, they have big map to explore but not really open world, which what FFXVI is going for.

I’m not really seeing similarities here, if we are talking big boss fights we had with bunch of games, it doesn’t make them similar to GOW.

Even if we are talking old trilogy, those games had fix camera with very different combat system. Also its opens structure is much more similar to other JRPG like how DQXI and Xenoblade did, they have big map to explore but not really open world, which what FFXVI is going for.

I’m not really seeing similarities here, if we are talking big boss fights we had with bunch of games, it doesn’t make them similar to GOW.
I dunno its definitely similar to DMC and dmc was meant to inspire God of war so 🤷

I'am sure there's alot of meaningful differences as well. It's got more in common with God of war than say dark souls or arkham combat.

Danjin44

I dunno its definitely similar to DMC and dmc was meant to inspire God of war so 🤷

I'am sure there's alot of meaningful differences as well. It's got more in common with God of war than say dark souls or arkham combat.
If that’s your reasoning then you might as well say Odin Sphere is basically God of War Ragnarok, both takes place in Norse mythology and both about fighting in Ragnarok and both have action combat…..they are totally same game…..right?

Raonak

Banned
I never thought this would be a hot take 😆 Surely there has to be God Of War 3 lovers out there that feel me on this?
This checks all the boxes santa monica studios wanted GOW next gen to be: deeper gameplay, new world, same epic kratos, FUN GAMEPLAY. Honestly, PS4/5 God Of War got tedious in its gameplay. PS2/3 GOW threw much more variety at you.
But this little in common with God of War 3. It's a completely different genre of game, and if anything, FFXVI is more like DMC+RPG, and is probably more in common with modern GOW with the open world and RPG mechanics.

Even then, you're misrepresenting the new GOW games, they already have half the shit you're talking about: deeper gameplay, new world, FUN GAMEPLAY.
The old GOW games are so fun, but very basic, to the point they become tedious because you have only one weapon that is worth using and the combat is very loose (no iframes on the dodge is insanity for a action game).
The new GOW has a far better combat system and has a lot more variety both in moveset and in the ways you can play the game.

And your hypothetical sequel to GOW3 already exsits. It's called GOW Acension, and it was bad because everybody was tired of playing the same formular that had not evolved since the first GOW.
The new GOW games was a much needed evolution of a series that had gotten stale. Now it's been enough time that people feel nostalgic about classic GOW.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't think it is smart to chase the DMC crowd since those games sell half as much as the half assed turn based and action based FF games they shit out on PS3 and later.

Astral Dog

I don't think it is smart to chase the DMC crowd since those games sell half as much as the half assed turn based and action based FF games they shit out on PS3 and later.
DMC 5 has sold 6 million copies now , and it is simply a linear character action game

FFXVI will do fine, thay have been going with action based combat for some time with Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts and they aren't stopping

People want high quality exciting ACTION!💪 not some old ass text based combat

Last edited:
If that’s your reasoning then you might as well say Odin Sphere is basically God of War Ragnarok, both takes place in Norse mythology and both about fighting in Ragnarok and both have action combat…..they are totally same game…..right?
No need to strawman

I've never said they were the same game. I said they had similarities. The combat is very similar to DMC and the original God of Wars.

Here's some similarities it has with both.

Fast paced melee combat with jumping and air dash
Air juggerling
Hit box combat
Weapon switching
Big spectacular boss fights
QTEs
Combo building.

I don't see what's hard to grasp. Frankly how can it be similar to DMC but not God of war?

Raonak

Banned
No need to strawman

I've never said they were the same game. I said they had similarities. The combat is very similar to DMC and the original God of Wars.

Here's some similarities it has with both.

Air juggerling
Hit box combat
Weapon switching
QTEs
Combo building.

I don't see what's hard to grasp. Frankly how can it be similar to DMC but not God of war?

The combat is very similar to new GOW too.
And It's similar to bayonetta.
And like literally every character-action game.

The fact it's an RPG and semi-open makes it more closer to new GOW than old GOW.

FFXVI has very little in common with classic GOW besides them being action games, which is why it's such a nonsensical comparison.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Air juggerling
Hit box combat
Weapon switching
QTEs
Combo building.
Lot of other game has this you listed, heck you can even say some these exist in Resident Evil and Metal Gear, still doesn't make then similar to GOW.

Kirby the Forgotten Land has some these as well.

What? Looks like FFXV to me in terms of combat but more refined. That's not a bad thing in my opinion, I watched my wife play through XV and it looked pretty good. I'm sure she'll enjoy this one judging from those trailers.

DJ12

I just pray the battles aren't as dogshite as FFXV.

It looked great in videos, but just turned out to be a button mashing shit show.

I rue the day Square decided they'd ditch the classic wait system

Jesus christ does God of war trigger some of you!

All the OP was saying was that the current god of wars don't really offer the spectacle and bombast of the old god of wars and Final Fantasy 16 appears to be filling that hole. (While also having different stuff as well like exploration etc.)

Yes of course it's not the same exact same game. But if you can't spot the similarities your either blind or triggered.

Kacho

Gold Member
I just pray the battles aren't as dogshite as FFXV.

It looked great in videos, but just turned out to be a button mashing shit show.

I rue the day Square decided they'd ditch the classic wait system
I share your love for ATB but I wouldn't worry about the gameplay in this one. The combat is in very good hands.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
When I'm playing God of War Ragnarok mixing different attacks with all of these effects on screen and finishing enemies by slicing them in half, every fight has spectacle for me 🤷‍♂️

When I'm playing God of War Ragnarok mixing different attacks with all of these effects on screen and finishing enemies by slicing them in half, every fight has spectacle for me 🤷‍♂️
Look I love modern God of war but it doesn't really have fights the scale of the titan battles or even stuff like the Coloussus of Rhodes. Although Garm and Niddhogg get pretty close.

The Eikon battles in the trailers reminded me of old school god of wars I can see where he's coming from.

What element? What part of FFXVI combat similar to God of War? The camera is not even over the should like GOW is. The pace of the combat is not similar, the mechanics is not similar….please explain this to me!

But this little in common with God of War 3. It's a completely different genre of game, and if anything, FFXVI is more like DMC+RPG, and is probably more in common with modern GOW with the open world and RPG mechanics.

Even then, you're misrepresenting the new GOW games, they already have half the shit you're talking about: deeper gameplay, new world, FUN GAMEPLAY.
The old GOW games are so fun, but very basic, to the point they become tedious because you have only one weapon that is worth using and the combat is very loose (no iframes on the dodge is insanity for a action game).
The new GOW has a far better combat system and has a lot more variety both in moveset and in the ways you can play the game.

And your hypothetical sequel to GOW3 already exsits. It's called GOW Acension, and it was bad because everybody was tired of playing the same formular that had not evolved since the first GOW.
The new GOW games was a much needed evolution of a series that had gotten stale. Now it's been enough time that people feel nostalgic about classic GOW.
Maybe I wasn’t clear enough in my original post. This is what GOD OF WAR 4 Should’ve been. The EVOLUTION of the original God Of War franchise. It’s what Sony Santa Monica was trying to achieve with the new God Of War (but lost the feeling of God Of War In its execution). This is NOT God Of War 3. Its the NEXT God Of War without losing it’s identity. So a different camera angle, deeper combat, visceral action, EPIC BOSS BATTLES , QTE, all without it feeling cumbersome and repetitive. Its itching all my God Of War spots that the new God Of Wars havn’t been able to fulfill.

Barakov

If you haven’t seen the previews of Final Fantasy 16 and you are an OG God Of War fan, go watch them NOW. As I was watching I said to myself, “This is everything I wanted in a sequel to the classic God Of War games”. God Of War 3 was my favorite and I still replay it to this day. I am one of those that was disappointed in the new God Of War. Not because it wasn’t good, but because it didn’t really feel like God Of War. It was missing all those amazing boss battles and crazy stuff like ripping helios’ head with all the epic events and, maybe im in the minority, but i loved the epic QTE events.

Final Fantasy 16 has it all in spades except with deeper combat and even more epic set pieces (its amazing how the Final Fantasy games are all so EPIC compared to other games, no matter if you’ve liked them or not) . From the preview, it looks to me like God Of War set in the Lord Of The Rings universe but with the deeper combat mechanics of Bayonetta and Devil May Cry. Also the music, my God! (Of War). Really pumped for this release.

As you watch the footage below, imagine if the main protagonist was Kratos and it would fit perfectly. This is Next Gen God Of War. Also, its only on Next Gen systems :)

Eng1xoV.png

GymWolf

Nah, this looks way more like discount dmc\bayo with a sprinkle of asura's wrath, new gow is a bit slower and heavier, this cleavage dude (or whatever his name is) looks like he's on coke with a particles-jizzing sword on his hands.

• LOL
Reactions: Rea

Chukhopops

I love how this game is compared to absolutely everything except, you know, previous Final Fantasy games.

Can’t wait to play this super fast action game (except all input timings will be designed for 30 fps) with non-stop fighting (except during the 11 hours of cutscenes) and a deep combat system (except the Kaiju fights where there’s four buttons you can press and it launches a cutscene).

Raonak

Banned
Maybe I wasn’t clear enough in my original post. This is what GOD OF WAR 4 Should’ve been. The EVOLUTION of the original God Of War franchise. It’s what Sony Santa Monica was trying to achieve with the new God Of War (but lost the feeling of God Of War In its execution). This is NOT God Of War 3. Its the NEXT God Of War without losing it’s identity. So a different camera angle, deeper combat, visceral action, EPIC BOSS BATTLES , QTE, all without it feeling cumbersome and repetitive. Its itching all my God Of War spots that the new God Of Wars havn’t been able to fulfill.
That is utter nonsense.

Modern GOW already has all the things you talk about. "different camera angle, deeper combat, visceral action, epic boss battles , QTE, all without it feeling cumbersome and repetitive".
GOW:R has arguably the best combat engine created by a western developer, and if they took it this direction instead, you would likely still be complaining because nostalgia.

Hell, you haven't even played FFXVI and for some reason you think it isn't gonna be cumbersome or repetitive? How do you even know?

Last edited:
PqVuX2C.gif

I never thought this would be a hot take 😆 Surely there has to be God Of War 3 lovers out there that feel me on this?
This checks all the boxes santa monica studios wanted GOW next gen to be: deeper gameplay, new world, same epic kratos, FUN GAMEPLAY. Honestly, PS4/5 God Of War got tedious in its gameplay. PS2/3 GOW threw much more variety at you.

I'm a GOW 3 lover and I definitely DON'T feel you on this.

That is utter nonsense.

Modern GOW already has all the things you talk about. "different camera angle, deeper combat, visceral action, epic boss battles , QTE, all without it feeling cumbersome and repetitive".
GOW:R has arguably the best combat engine created by a western developer, and if they took it this direction instead, you would likely still be complaining because nostalgia.

Hell, you haven't even played FFXVI and for some reason you think it isn't gonna be cumbersome or repetitive? How do you even know?
Disagree. GOW is cumbersome, repetitive and missing MANY of those huge action set pieces of the previous games.
Are we not allowed to have an opinion on a game based on previews? Did I say I played it?
Can you only comment on a game after release? No. You can comment on whenever you want. When the game is released and its not what the previews are making it seem, then I will be wrong. As of right now though, Zeus!!! Your son has returned!!!! I bring you the destruction of Olympus!

Stay strong OP. I don't agree with you but these replies are dogging you 😂 God bless
o5ncduh.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

No, Sony Santa Monic evolved the franchise and did a near perfect job with 2018...

then they fucking bungled it with terrible writing, pacing, and mediocre boss design in Ragnarok.

CGNoire

Bunch of butthurt New GOW sychopants in here triggered just because OP dared suggest there are a number of things that are either missing or where done alot better in OG GOW.

Like grow up people Im sure another AAA Dark Souls clone is heading your way any second now.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wait, FF is now full real time action like Elden ring? Makes me actually interested, never cared for any of the older games with turn based play (even "real time").

After reviewing the footage....I get it. There is a certain amount of cinematic spectacle within the fights, including how they use the QTE's and mixed with the grandiose music, that greatly reminded me of some of the best moments from God of War 2 and 3.

I'm certain most others won't see the difference between this and other action games, because you really have to be into the little details in direction, camera direction, and combat direction, to understand why this is more reminiscent of the old God of War games than something like Devil May Cry, Nier Automata, or Bayonetta. Looking at the differences in how they treat the camera and framework of a boss fight is key in what the OP is talking about.

rofif

Banned
I feel like XV was to final fantasy what gow2018 was to gow.
It was really different. Can't wait for 16

I don't understand these comparisons to God of War. It's literally going to be a DMC clone. Platinum has done large scale boss fights with QTEs like this a while now. It's called Bayonetta 1-3.

Totally agree. I also loved Dragon's Dogma because it was so similar to Ratchet and Clank.

I am so stoked for FF16, more than most, but I really wouldnt call it the next god of war. I'm not seeing that comparison in any way.

It's a pretty clear evolution from the successful parts of FF15, FF7 remake, while referencing the more grounded style of FF12. That's my perfect game.

Combat looks more like tales of arise than it does god of war.

Nothing about combat or its art direction is anything similar to God of War, where people getting that from?

I'm not sure I'd agree with it being like GoW, but it certainly has potential to be game of the generation. It looks that good.

Either people comparing FFXV to "souls" or God of War and there is no actual logic behind it, it just surface level shallow comparison.

I get that. But it literally has a DMC combat designer designing FFXVI. Its silly to mention God of War in my opinion. He went from DMCV to this game.

If people are this excited, I'm just saying maybe they should try DMC and Bayonetta since they act like they've never heard of them.

Fifa 2024 is the true spiritual successor to syphon filter. I couldnt be happier right now its everything i wanted the stealth genre to be!

FFXVI is reimagining of Attack on Titan, a spiritual sequel to Vagrant Story, the final few chapters of Berserk, as well as the Witcher 5, Elden Ring 2, and Game of Thrones the video game. All of those things wrapped in one with a sprinkle of God of War 4, Devil May Cry 5.5, Final Fantasy Tactics 2, Monster Hunter 6 and the incomplete Final Fantasy 12 we never got.

What element? What part of FFXVI combat similar to God of War? The camera is not even over the should like GOW is. The pace of the combat is not similar, the mechanics is not similar….please explain this to me!

The kaiju battles are similar to what we saw in Bayo 3 but still, comparing them kinda diminishes what FF16 is doing IMO.

We gonna start saying it's a Monster Hunter clone too because you fight big monsters and stagger them?

I’m not saying that as a knock against Bayo 3, I just feel like these surface level comparisons don’t mean much. Sure there might be similarities to other games but I’m not going to tell my bros, “Yo it’s like God of War on the PS2 mannnn!”

You're so right OP, can't believe these people are making fun of you.

You should also check out FIFA 23, it's the spiritual successor to Dante's Inferno

OP, have you played God or War?

high quality Topic (not).

Much more stoked about the next Zelda being the true successor to Max Payne. I mean think about it

comparing a fighting system made by the guy who made DMC5's fighting system to God of War should be a crime...

OP spelled "Devil May Cry" wrong

That is utter nonsense.

I'm a GOW 3 lover and I definitely DON'T feel you on this.

Top Bottom