• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXVI Is God Of War 4 And I Am STOKED

If you haven’t seen the previews of Final Fantasy 16 and you are an OG God Of War fan, go watch them NOW. As I was watching I said to myself, “This is everything I wanted in a sequel to the classic God Of War games”. God Of War 3 was my favorite and I still replay it to this day. I am one of those that was disappointed in the new God Of War. Not because it wasn’t good, but because it didn’t really feel like God Of War. It was missing all those amazing boss battles and crazy stuff like ripping helios’ head with all the epic events and, maybe im in the minority, but i loved the epic QTE events.

Final Fantasy 16 has it all in spades except with deeper combat and even more epic set pieces (its amazing how the Final Fantasy games are all so EPIC compared to other games, no matter if you’ve liked them or not) . From the preview, it looks to me like God Of War set in the Lord Of The Rings universe but with the deeper combat mechanics of Bayonetta and Devil May Cry. Also the music, my God! (Of War). Really pumped for this release.

As you watch the footage below, imagine if the main protagonist was Kratos and it would fit perfectly. This is Next Gen God Of War. Also, its only on Next Gen systems :)
*EDIT 2: I made a quick comparison video for those of you that are abit challenged in realizing the similarities: *

*EDIT: Some people are making the argument that it looks nothing like the old God Of Wars, so allow me to re-iterate and add some more clarification to my POV. I said God Of War 4, as in the evolution for the original trilogy, not a God Of War 3 clone. It’s what Sony Santa Monica was trying to achieve but (in my opinion) lost its God Of Warness in it’s process. When I say evolution I’m talking deeper gameplay mechanics, closer camera angle, new world all while keeping what made the original trilogy awsome, Epic boss battles, fun and multiple weapons and ways of obliterating enemies, QTE’s, etc. I’m not the biggest fan of a Kratos who is a dad, grunting at his son through out the game, without much diversity in what you do and the enemies and bosses. It really became repetitive to me. On top of that, while the graphics were beautiful, I became bored by the same old snowy mountains and areas. FF16 looks like it will be epic, beautiful, badass, fun, and diverse in the things you do and see. *

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

600px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Neilg

I am so stoked for FF16, more than most, but I really wouldnt call it the next god of war. I'm not seeing that comparison in any way.

It's a pretty clear evolution from the successful parts of FF15, FF7 remake, while referencing the more grounded style of FF12. That's my perfect game.

Combat looks more like tales of arise than it does god of war.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nothing about combat or its art direction is anything similar to God of War, where people getting that from?

Danjin44

Either people comparing FFXVI to "souls" or God of War and there is no actual logic behind it, it just surface level shallow comparison.

Last edited:

stn

I'm loving it, personally. But it looks more like a DMC clone or maybe Dragon's Dogma (but without the difficulty).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't understand these comparisons to God of War. It's literally going to be a DMC clone. Platinum has done large scale boss fights with QTEs like this a while now. It's called Bayonetta 1-3.
Old GoW was heavily influenced by DMC. You could literally air juggle.

SSM has moved on from that style of play with the new sequels. Sadly it's brought them MORE success but if you're a fan of the original PS3 trilogy that had massive scale and epic boss fights instead of the more intimate and relationship driven PS4 sequels then yes, FF16 looks to have a lot of that and more despite being a 35 hour JRPG with another 40 hours of side content.

Anyone who has finished Ragnorak knows how lacking it was in terms of these epic giant boss battles. I applauded SSM for rebooting the series and injecting new life to it, but sadly they changed it too much and lost that x-factor that made the original trilogy so memorable.

PqVuX2C.gif

I never thought this would be a hot take 😆 Surely there has to be God Of War 3 lovers out there that feel me on this?
This checks all the boxes santa monica studios wanted GOW next gen to be: deeper gameplay, new world, same epic kratos, FUN GAMEPLAY. Honestly, PS4/5 God Of War got tedious in its gameplay. PS2/3 GOW threw much more variety at you.

Last edited:
Old GoW was heavily influenced by DMC. You could literally air juggle.

SSM has moved on from that style of play with the new sequels. Sadly it's brought them MORE success but if you're a fan of the original PS3 trilogy that had massive scale and epic boss fights instead of the more intimate and relationship driven PS4 sequels then yes, FF16 looks to have a lot of that and more despite being a 35 hour JRPG with another 40 hours of side content.

Anyone who has finished Ragnorak knows how lacking it was in terms of these epic giant boss battles. I applauded SSM for rebooting the series and injecting new life to it, but sadly they changed it too much and lost that x-factor that made the original trilogy so memorable.
I get that. But it literally has a DMC combat designer designing FFXVI. Its silly to mention God of War in my opinion. He went from DMCV to this game.

If people are this excited, I'm just saying maybe they should try DMC and Bayonetta since they act like they've never heard of them.

PqVuX2C.gif

I never thought this would be a hot take 😆 Surely there has to be God Of War 3 lovers out there that feel me on this?
This checks all the boxes santa monica studios wanted GOW next gen to be: deeper gameplay, new world, same epic kratos, FUN GAMEPLAY. Honestly, PS4/5 God Of War got tedious in its gameplay. PS2/3 GOW threw much more variety at you.
I guess I'll grant you that aesthetically it sorta resembles GoW3 with how dark it is.

Yeah it can also be argued its DMC , but Bayonetta , not really because that is more on the cartoony side. Elements of its combat? Yes. FF16 and God Of War have a very similar tone.

Freeman76

Fifa 2024 is the true spiritual successor to syphon filter. I couldnt be happier right now its everything i wanted the stealth genre to be!

Go_Ly_Dow

FFXVI is reimagining of Attack on Titan, a spiritual sequel to Vagrant Story, the final few chapters of Berserk, as well as the Witcher 5, Elden Ring 2, and Game of Thrones the video game. All of those things wrapped in one with a sprinkle of God of War 4, Devil May Cry 5.5, Final Fantasy Tactics 2, Monster Hunter 6 and the incomplete Final Fantasy 12 we never got.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Elements of its combat? Yes. FF16 and God Of War have a very similar tone.
What element? What part of FFXVI combat similar to God of War? The camera is not even over the should like GOW is. The pace of the combat is not similar, the mechanics is not similar….please explain this to me!

Last edited:

mitch1971

I am one of those that was disappointed in the new God Of War. Not because it wasn’t good, but because it didn’t really feel like God Of War. It was missing all those amazing boss battles and crazy stuff like ripping helios’ head with all the epic events and, maybe im in the minority, but i loved the epic QTE events.
💯%, yes.

Kacho

Gold Member
Yeah it can also be argued its DMC , but Bayonetta , not really because that is more on the cartoony side. Elements of its combat? Yes. FF16 and God Of War have a very similar tone.
The kaiju battles are similar to what we saw in Bayo 3 but still, comparing them kinda diminishes what FF16 is doing IMO.

We gonna start saying it's a Monster Hunter clone too because you fight big monsters and stagger them?

The kaiju battles are similar to what we saw in Bayo 3 but still, comparing them kinda diminishes what FF16 is doing IMO.

We gonna start saying it's a Monster Hunter clone too because you fight big monsters and stagger them?
I don't think it diminishes them. It was my favorite new gameplay mechanic of last year. If FFXVI summons control as well as the Demon Slave stuff in Bayonetta 3, it would be a best case scenario. It's the gold standard for having instant access to a giant summon you fully control, with light QTEs mixed in, and seemless transition back to the player character mixed in, and having the camera adjust seemlessly to both perspectives.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I don't think it diminishes them. It was my favorite new gameplay mechanic of last year. If FFXVI summons control as well as the Demon Slave stuff in Bayonetta 3, it would be a best case scenario. It's the gold standard for having instant access to a giant summon you fully control, with light QTEs mixed in, and seemless transition back to the player character mixed in, and having the camera adjust seemlessly to both perspectives.
But you here you don’t summon them you become them, it’s kind of similar how Bayonetta gives her heart in order make some of her Demons Kaiju level big.

But you here you don’t summon them you become them, it’s kind of similar how Bayonetta gives her heart in order make some of her Demons Kaiju level big.
Yeah, that part was more just for fun. The really impressive stuff is the summon in game fully integrated into the normal gameplay. The Kaiju stuff was mostly just fun spectacle, and not that mechanically complex or impressive.

Last edited:
I don't know why people are thinking this is a hot take?

I think even the director has said he's was a fan of the original trilogy.

I can see the similarities OP! From the trailers even we saw giant god of war style boss fights

What element? What part of FFXVI combat similar to God of War? The camera is not even over the should like GOW is. The pace of the combat is not similar, the mechanics is not similar….please explain this to me!
He meant the original trilogy.

Saying that the open world-ish structure is meant be similar to the modern god of wars

Kacho

Gold Member
I’m not saying that as a knock against Bayo 3, I just feel like these surface level comparisons don’t mean much. Sure there might be similarities to other games but I’m not going to tell my bros, “Yo it’s like God of War on the PS2 mannnn!”

Fbh

I don't understand these comparisons to God of War. It's literally going to be a DMC clone. Platinum has done large scale boss fights with QTEs like this a while now. It's called Bayonetta 1-3.

It's not really a DMC clone either. The combat bits, sure, but I expect there to be more to the game. Towns, sidquests, some light exploration, gear, etc

cqiNLsz.gif

DMC, 5 in particular, is basically just going from one combat encounter straight into the other.

Top Bottom