• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII rebirth exclusive to PS5 because of the graphical quality, of course, as well as SSD access speed says executive producer Kitase.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
2) does ff7r Intergrade on pc even recommend a ssd (sata or nvme)? The EGS doesn't give me much insight here.

Nope

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: AMD FX-8350 / Intel® Core™ i5-3330
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon™ RX 480 / NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780 / 3GB VRAM required
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 100 GB available space
Additional Notes: Assuming a Resolution of 1920 x 1080

RECOMMENDED:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 3 3100 / Intel® Core™ i7-3770
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 / NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 / 8GB VRAM required
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 100 GB available space
Additional Notes: Assuming a Resolution of 2560 x 1440 (This title supports max resolution of 3840 x 2160)

Taken from Steam, just states 100GB of storage, not what type or speed.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

scydrex

Returnal, Ratchet and Demons Souls remake are PS5 exclusive titles that have been around for a while.
Forspoken will also release long before this.

Sure but taking from what Rachet Devs says there is a lot of performance left on the table from the I/O and SSD. I think they said scratching the surface... the post you quoted means for a game that can take more advantage of the I/O and SSD.

Last edited:
I suspect its going to be that hub model where you are just jumping between the different places personally.
Isn't this the kind of thing they wanted to get away from, going by Road to PS5?

The hub model is nothing but a way to solve the issue of loading assets, which should be mitigated by the PS5s design. Meaning that they should be able to give us proper open worlds that move a away from hun models.

reksveks

Isn't this the kind of thing they wanted to get away from, going by Road to PS5?

The hub model is nothing but a way to solve the issue of loading assets, which should be mitigated by the PS5s design. Meaning that they should be able to give us proper open worlds that move a away from hun models.
Kinda but the world of FF7 is 'huge' in terms of world map between cities, and I don't know how you will fill it up with meaningful content if you are trying to be realistic in your portrayal of the world.

Also remember the IO speed is just one limitation, total size is another. FF7R was big for being one city.

Imtjnotu

i get not being on last gen but there's really no reason it can't come to Series S/X or PC. well, money is a reason i suppose.

this game will be great on PC with PCIE 4/5.0 SSDs and DirectStorage with that 7.1 - 14.2GB/s goodness :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: PS5 ssd speeds aren't anything impressive now lol. maybe 2 years ago.

it's time people stop using HDDs for playing new games. at this point i wouldn't care if games started straight up refusing to run on HDDs.

you want to play a new game in 2022/2023 then get with the times. HDDs should only be for last gen consoles and for storing files on PC.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

scydrex

Playing FF7R on ps4 i clearly saw the limits of the HDD streaming, pop in and LOD. Sure with a SSD it improve a bit but not enough. So glad they forgot to release it on PS4 wise choice.

For this reads... "Look man, we can get it on Series X but we'd have to do some optimizing and right now... we just don't want to do it"

Sucks, cause I don't know if it's just a time & budget thing... or just a "don't want to do it" thing. Maybe they pulled the data and found that the juice was not worth the squeeze 🤷‍♂️

S0ULZB0URNE

i get not being on last gen but there's really no reason it can't come to Series S/X or PC. well, money is a reason i suppose.

this game will be great on PC with PCIE 4/5.0 SSDs and DirectStorage with that 7.1 - 14.2GB/s goodness :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: PS5 ssd speeds aren't anything impressive now lol. maybe 2 years ago.

it's time people stop using HDDs for playing new games. at this point i wouldn't care if games started straight up refusing to run on HDDs.

you want to play a new game in 2022/2023 then get with the times. HDDs should only be for last gen consoles and for storing files on PC.
This would be wonderful! But ain't happening and if SSD's become the minimum spec...don't think they will be gen 4's. Expect the much slower SSD's that run around 540 megabytes to be the minimum.

well if people want that kind of experience from games let them have it. i'm sure games will run but it'll be an awful experience. i got no sympathy for people if they want to complain.
Not sure it is "awful", it's just what it is.

PS2 loadings were awful once I was able to run games from HDD. Wii loadings once I had a HDD as well.

If you have a PS4 with SSD and go back to HDD you'll notice, even if it's not as fast a PS5, it's a sound improvement. HDD is just a cheap piece of shit.

We've already had those leaps several times throughout the generations, I don't think it's functionally much different now. But not at any point do they hint that PS4 couldn't pull it, it's just that the HDD is slow and a hassle once you have something way better. The fact that they had to optimize for it (like they did in the past) or be criticized because they didn't probably drove the nail in the coffin. But I'd say don't expect a generational leap from FFVII Remake Intergrade on PS5.
HDDs should only be for last gen consoles and for storing files on PC.
I don't think they should be on last gen consoles to start with. PS4 having launched with a 128 GB SSD would be better than having shipped with a 500 GB HDD. the only game affected would be Warzone.

And if you think about it, selling a XSS with 500 GB (364GB free), a PS5 with 825 GB (667 GB free) or a XSX with 1 TB (802 GB free) is probably similar to that ratio above. Consoles could be launching with 4 or 8 Terabytes mechanical now but they're opting for low density with speed and it's the right call. It would have been the right call in 2013 as well.

You can still store games on your shitty HDD's if you want to.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Banned
I think he meant in relation to PS4, cant run on PS4 cuz no ssd and it cant handle the graphical quality. I'm pretty sure this was a mistranslation.

Mister Wolf

I think he meant in relation to PS4, cant run on PS4 cuz no ssd and it cant handle the graphical quality. I'm pretty sure this was a mistranslation.

Sure, but we've heard that same bullshit before with Godfall, yet it eventually got a last gen port and before that a PC port that ran perfectly fine on HDD.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Where is that mentioned though?
――そんな理由があったんですね。ちなみに「FFVII リバース」は最初からPS5オンリーということになりましたけれども、その理由をお伺いできますか?

北瀬氏:もちろんグラフィックスの質もそうなのですが、SSDへのアクセスの速さなどもありますね。オリジナル版をやられた方だったらある程度は想像がつくと思うんですけれども、この先、物語はミッドガルを脱出した後の広大な世界で進んでいきます。「FFVII リバース」でも、当然ここから先は広がる世界を描いていきますので、その点でローディングストレスという部分が非常にネックになってきてしまいます。その点をクリアして快適に世界をプレイするためには、やはりPS5のスペックが必要だと感じました。
Kitase: Of course it's the quality of the graphics, but there's also the speed of access to the SSD. If you played the original version, you can probably imagine to some extent that the story will continue in the vast world after you escape Midgar. In FFVII Rebirth, of course, we'll be describing the world that spreads out from this point onwards, so loading stress will be a major bottleneck in that respect. In order to clear this problem and play the world comfortably, we felt that PS5 specs were necessary.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sure, but we've heard that same bullshit before with Godfall, yet it eventually got a last gen port and before that a PC port that ran perfectly fine on HDD.
Even the Matrix demo runs fine on an HDD.

PCs have a lot more RAM to spare than consoles. XSX and PS5 have what? 12.5 GB of total ram? The 3080 has 10 GB of ram by itself. Add in System ram and you are looking at 26GB-42GB of ram available. Most games last gen would fit in that. The 17 GB Matrix demo actually sits entirely in ram. Around 12 GB is system ram and 6 GB in VRAM.

Regardless, the question is that if they targeted the PS5 to take advantage of the PS5 specs then why does it look last gen? Why does it look worse than HFW which targeted PS4 specs? The lighting looks last gen. The foliage looks last gen. The character models look virtually identical. The hair looks like shit. The draw distance has been hidden by the same old bs fog Horizon uses to mask the limited draw distance.

1bc746ab1571b09520f7101612ef2af002daf875.gifv

Vs

This level which was created in 3 days by one person.

iypHQ4u.gif

A fucking korean studio is able to do this which looks a gen ahead of what THE biggest Japanese studio is producing atm.

Er2hxjC.gif

I have no idea why these so called next gen only games like Returnal, Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop, TLOU remake, and now FF7 look identical to last gen games. It cant be talent. Cant be the hardware. It has to be the fact that they all started as last gen games and now that the last gen versions arent selling at all, they are trying to fool us into thinking they were built from the ground up on the PS5. Sure.

I have no idea why these so called next gen only games like Returnal, Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop, TLOU remake, and now FF7 look identical to last gen games. It cant be talent. Cant be the hardware. It has to be the fact that they all started as last gen games and now that the last gen versions arent selling at all, they are trying to fool us into thinking they were built from the ground up on the PS5. Sure.
Same reason why Starfield, Redfall and Skull & Bones look like they do. Hardware isn't going to magically improve all the production pipeline of a studio.

You know what all the Unreal 5 demonstrations have in common? Not a single one of them resulted in a proper AAA release. Fortine is an Unreal 5 game and it look like that.

Some guy using megascans to render a bunch of rocks isn't a reference for a full game.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Even the Matrix demo runs fine on an HDD.

PCs have a lot more RAM to spare than consoles. XSX and PS5 have what? 12.5 GB of total ram? The 3080 has 10 GB of ram by itself. Add in System ram and you are looking at 26GB-42GB of ram available. Most games last gen would fit in that. The 17 GB Matrix demo actually sits entirely in ram. Around 12 GB is system ram and 6 GB in VRAM.

Regardless, the question is that if they targeted the PS5 to take advantage of the PS5 specs then why does it look last gen? Why does it look worse than HFW which targeted PS4 specs? The lighting looks last gen. The foliage looks last gen. The character models look virtually identical. The hair looks like shit. The draw distance has been hidden by the same old bs fog Horizon uses to mask the limited draw distance.

1bc746ab1571b09520f7101612ef2af002daf875.gifv

Vs

This level which was created in 3 days by one person.

iypHQ4u.gif

A fucking korean studio is able to do this which looks a gen ahead of what THE biggest Japanese studio is producing atm.

Er2hxjC.gif

They look identical because they can be ran on much much slower storage devies ie they cant utilize the I/O | SSD strengths while still supporting the old tech in the development process.

Lol that's why it's gonna come to PC....lol do they even listen to themselves before they speak?

You should've actually read their comment because it was in relation to the PS4.

Also PC release is probably 2+ years away similar with Part 1 so there's that.

Same reason why Starfield, Redfall and Skull & Bones look like they do. Hardware isn't going to magically improve all the production pipeline of a studio.

You know what all the Unreal 5 demonstrations have in common? Not a single one of them resulted in a proper AAA release. Fortine is an Unreal 5 game and it look like that.

Some guy using megascans to render a bunch of rocks isn't a reference for a full game.

Not just that, but his "goto" examples include a demo on PC using premade store & library assets, and claimed gameplay from an upcoming release that, while I'm personally quite excited for, we have NO actual confirmed gameplay for yet as in with clear HUDs, mission structures, game logic etc. running all at once.

It's a pretty dumb point of comparison on their part TBH.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Starfield looks a gen ahead of their previous gen entries though. Fallout 4 and 76 look like PS2 games compared to Starfield. So the new hardware did magically improve all the production pipeline of that studio.

Redfall is definitely a last gen game.

Last edited:
Starfield looks a gen ahead of their previous gen entries though. Fallout 4 and 76 look like PS2 games compared to Starfield. So the new hardware did magically improve all the production pipeline of that studio.

Maybe because they already looked like a gen behind? How is that an excuse? Talk about setting a low bar. Those NPCs and exteriors in Skyrim did not look a gen ahead of Fallout 4 at all btw, looks like the same engine with a little more juice powering it all running at an impressive 30fps, definitely not a looker (not every game needs to be).

FFVII Remake is already gorgeous btw, regardless of all the technical limitations and shortcomings the game might have.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

That is because their last title (FO4) looked like a gen behind (just in 1080p) when it launched. Shall I dig up the threads of the reveal on here?

Starfield, while I dig the art direction, does not look like a gen ahead of anything out now and in a lot of ways, behind some games. But the scope should hopefully be there.

You are showing cracks in your crusade, bub.

Last edited:
Top Bottom