• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake: Japanese controversy regarding new Aerith design

CJY

Banned
Tokyosaurus has released a new video outlining some Japanese dissent to Aerith's new design.

left- original, right: reworked
D6jg6woWwAAVxQs

Another shot of how she currently looks:
Screenshot%2525202019-05-16%252520at%25252013.06.18.png

Looks fine to me. Personally, I believe artists and designers should be free to make their characters, art and designs however they see fit and me as a consumer, I can either decide to like it or not like it, after the fact. I don't agree with this "collaborative" ethos of design we're encountering lately... where the lines between creator and consumer are being blurred. It may be good in some instances, but not here... many won't agree with me on this point I'm guessing.

Anyway, here's the video:

Last edited:

RuhRo

I think her face on the left (original) looks more distinct compared to the typical button-nosed/small-faced-woman-with-large-eyes-framed-by-her-hair school of Japanese character design. The corrected version looks generic. The longer face also lends her a more maternal, distinguished impression.

These differences are so minute I can’t believe it’s a conversation.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
There is nothing "wrong" with her face. I like that this Aerith has notable features like her jawline, and in my opinion, it's the edit that makes her look off. Her faces looks squished vertically.
Why do some Japanese players want female characters to have rounded faces with small chins. It makes all of them look like generic mannequins.

I love the changes made to Cloud in the new build, although I wish he had the darker circles around his eyes from the old build. His face is too pretty now haha.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Obviously something happened to the designers in the time period between these two versions. Trump's America clearly reached them, corrupted them and caused them to make changes that clearly represent their new racist, homophobic and antisemitic beliefs.

I hope everyone boycotts the game out of this disgusting behavior. Trump can not get away with this.

Last edited:

JimmyJones

Banned
Left looks better to me, but I'm not a FF fan. Seems like extremely minor nitpicking to me.

RE2 is one of my favourite games and I had major grievances with the remake but the character designs weren't a problem for me.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can't tell the difference from the original design.

Aeris-ffvii-field.png
More cube hands. I can't have anything but cube hands in my remake.

They should probably base it more off of Advent Children than anything else. That's as close as you can get to relating Final Fantasy VII with modern day graphics.

lifa-cobex

Look, we really need to get to the meat of the whole subject around this remake...

Show us Tifa's tits!

This is what everyone is waiting for in order to have a civilized discussion.
Everything else is just the free bread before the meal.

To extrapolate.
Tifa's tits represent the castle gate.
If they have beached and torn down the gate then I'm want to know what else they have fucked with beyond.
If the gate is fine. Then i'm probably not too concerned.

Last edited:

kunonabi

New design is worse but it's not that big a deal although to be fair I dont give a crap about Aerith to begin with. Tifa is going to be a train wreck though.

Last edited:

odhin

Oh boy, if only every character "remade" would be like this one... she looks great.
Can't believe there's a 'controversy' around this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But yeah Tifa's getting a downgrade for sure, if you know what I mean.

Fbh

The design on the left looks better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ -
Has a bit more personality to it

Original design was definitely not longfaced.

ssrJp3v.jpg

That design is also way more stylized and going for an anime/manga look while the remake is using a more realistic artstyle so I don't know why people would expect a 1:1 translation. Are people also angry her hair looks more realistic?

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
This obsession with Tifa's design feels sooo blown out of proportion. It's hardly that big of a fucking deal in the end. They'll have her in her original outfit with new minor details to modernize her Remake design like Cloud and Barret, and likely everyone else. She'll have boobs, and she likely have a skirt. If anything they probably even add the option to customize outfits like in most modern RPGs. That way everyone will be happy.

No matter where you go, every fucking thread involving the FF VII Remake devolves into Tifa and whether or not she'll have big tits or a great reduction. Or if her outfit is this or that or whatever. I barely fucking cared when I played FF VII as a kid, and don't care that much now.

Last edited:

Pejo

Look, we really need to get to the meat of the whole subject around this remake...

Show us Tifa's tits!

This is what everyone is waiting for in order to have a civilized discussion.
Everything else is just the free bread before the meal.

To extrapolate.
Tifa's tits represent the castle gate.
If they have beached and torn down the gate then I'm want to know what else they have fucked with beyond.
If the gate is fine. Then i'm probably not too concerned.

You are actually 100% right. This is all just a warm-up to what Tifa's design is going to do in the community. If people are losing their cool over a longer face, imagine the inevitable "____-gate" we're about to have fall upon us.

Nymphae

Banned
It just makes me laugh honestly, it's all so much nitpicking. The models look nearly exactly the same - way better looking interpretations of the original character design.

dottme

I kind of like both. The fan proposed version might be a little closer to the original.
But there is so many change in this remake that I think it’s completely fine to slightly redesigned the heroes.

mortal

Gold Member
This one looks better.

D6ijHiBVUAEiMv7
This edit is slightly better. I still prefer the Remake version, but I can see the appeal with this edit. Paler skin, softer features. I get that the eyes are meant to be one of her defining features generally, but the contrast isn't complimenting her design. It's too harsh, and comes off less natural, in my opinion. Even with the whole Cetra genetics aspect, something more subtle would be more aesthetically pleasing.

That edit feel like it's drawing more from the anime aesthetic of FF VII than the Remake, which is leaning more towards realism.

Last edited:
Surprised Japanese gamers are complaining about a longer jaw.

How will they make a Hentai Blow Job scene now to compliment the Tifa one?

Don't judge me. I think it is well known.

Fbh

I Don't see the big deal, both designs are good imho. Maybe the rounder face make her looks Younger so it's better suited to the character but the long face give her a more adult look. Either way, she looks good.

Isn't she supposed to be 20-something?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
One gamer posts a video and it suddenly means all Japan is embroiled in controversy. Unfortunately as with everything these days if there is not 100% agreement across 7.5 billion people on this planet there is “controversy”

I dunno sounds like someone with too much time on their hands wanted their 15 mins and got it. Congrats

I like the original. People need to get over trying to stop this game “looking like an anime”. The main character carries around a 7 foot sword, it’s meant to be stylized

Last edited:
Top Bottom