• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FEROCIOUS | Teaser

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In Ferocious, the player finds a mysterious tropical island hidden in fog while searching for missing journalists. The island is being colonized by hostile forces which try to gain control over it. But the island is a brutal place for humans, hot, foggy and rainy, covered with steep cliffs and dark jungles, and it is inhabited by horrifying creatures. The enemies struggle for survival just as much as the player. To find the missing journalists, the player will have to fight both the enemies as well as the island itself.

The game has a theme of man vs nature, where humans are at the bottom of the foodchain and can only survive using their tools and raw violence. While the island is terrifying, its also supposed to be beautiful and fascinating, and a place that should just be left alone. The human invaders damage it and just dont belong there. To emphasis this, the gameplay is quite violent, and while combat against humans is mostly action oriented, it changes to horror as soon as creatures are encountered.

Structure
The game is divided into big semi-linear Levels with 1-2 hours of gameplay each. Each Level takes place at a different biome and at a specific time of day/night.
The Level structure is not final, but could be something like this:
Level 1: Barren coast during early noon
Level 2: Deep lush jungle during high noon
Level 3: High mountains and its caves during sunset
Level 4: Jungle at coast, during night
Level 5: Coast again, during sunrise

Features, Mechanics & Techology
The game uses the HDRP for rendering, and the environments have been build mainly using Quixel and some assets from the store, after carefully adapting them to the art style. I am mainly a programmer, but to give the game more of my own personality, I created some of the more „defining“ art assets myself: All of the first-person animations, the big jungle trees, most of the creatures and the voice acting were created by me.Here a list of some of the features I created for the game:- Goal Oriented Action Programmer (GOAP) based enemy A.I.
- Completely interactive and partially destructible vegetation
- Water volumes the player can swim and dive in with GPU fluid simulations for surface waves
- Vehicles the player can use to traverse levels quicker
- Dynamic climbing for the player
- Destructible environments and buildings
- Realtime ocean
- Customizable weapons
- Dynamic weather
- Animals that hunt and eat each other
.. And much more.

ultrazilla

Saw this on Blue Drake's Youtube channel. Awesome looking demo so far. I love the atmosphere. Nailed the Crysis/Far Cry "feel" IMO.

It's obviously very early and needs a ton of work but it's very promising. :messenger_fire:

MastaKiiLA

Looks like a Crysis bootleg, but in a good way. No idea who the dev is, so I'll wait to see a proper announcement for the game, where they can detail platform targets. These Patreon pitches are designed to look good, but might not be representative of the finished product.

ultrazilla

Looks ok, not fully next gen compliant from what I've seen.

I mean it's early. Pre-Alpha gameplay using a ton of free Unity assets. Pretty amazing what Unity can do when the developers know how to use it. I'm not a fan of
the engine(I'm an Unreal Engine fanboy) but gotta give Unity some props. There are amazing games using it(Ori and the Will of the Wisps), Subnautica, etc.

Plus it's a really small team. Basically one guy making it with a couple contractors to help. 👍

MiguelItUp

Yeah, the framerate definitely needs some work, but all things considered, this is really impressive! Especially the interaction with the environments. I'm definitely curious to see what the end result will look like!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Here's a brand new trailer for Project Ferocious. This is a survival shooter in which you will discover a lost prehistoric world full of deadly creatures under the control of hostile forces. Project Ferocious is targeting a 2023 release date and coming to PC, PlayStation and Xbox.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Targeting 2023? Ok, see ya next time cool Turok spiritual successor

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Top Bottom