• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female-Led "Chronicle" Sequel in Development at 20th Century Studios

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
John Davis, producer of 2012's surprise superhero hit Chronicle, has confirmed that a sequel is currently in the works, following a female main cast.
"Chronicle we did for $12 million, and it grossed $126.64 million worldwide. Then it had a huge afterlife in syndication. It’s one of the most financially successful movies in my stable," David said. "We’re working on Chronicle 2 right now, and I think it’s going to be great. We’re working on it at Fox (20th Century Studios). It’s going to give us a chance to tell the story in a different way."
"We’re going to tell it from the female point of view. It will have been 10 years since the event happened in Seattle, and a lot of it’s going to deal with fake news and real news and cover-ups," Davis said. "More interestingly, it’s the next generation getting these powers that are corruptive. These are young women just finishing college, they are empowered, and this is their journey. I mean, what a new and interesting story you can tell there."
There's no word yet on when a Chronicle sequel might be released, or even if it will get beyond the development phase, but if you're eager for more from that world, Davis has apparently heard your pleas, and is working on answering them.

Maybe for the sequel they'll cast Dane DeHaan's lesser known twin sister, Dame DeHaan.

Josh Trank, director of the original film, said in 2020,
"I really didn't ever want to see Chronicle 2 happen. That was my worst nightmare. First of all, I'm not doing it. Second, if somebody else does it, then you know it's gonna be a piece of shit."

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
We’re going to tell it from the female point of view. These are young women just finishing college, they are empowered, and this is their journey. I mean, what a new and interesting story you can tell there.

Ah yes, "the female point of view". That's gonna get people to the theatres for sure.

FJ1xjsYSB14iDwI77ddZnQrijYE3waTVSxXp6GLd4DZETX5sCbo905XoDRx3z4YGBNucGUs

Scotty W

Gold Member
Like a Camela going without water, I have been bideng my pensees about this film for a while, and have elected that there is no chance that this will trump the first.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Going with "female-led" tells me they started with an agenda, not some interesting characters with an actual story to tell that ended up with a female lead. I'll be curious if women with powers like the boys ends up as destructive (i.e. the characters might as well have been men all along) or if there will be a female twist that doesn't revolve around hating men and pwning karens. I can only imagine a thousand cell phones floating around the lead as she dominates tiktok with her mad twerks, that weird shuffle dance, and pop-up bubbles of random trivia as she bumps her fists.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Ah, chronicle.

If I recall that was the first movie to hit the cinemas shot on a Red camera? I was very interested about that so I went to the movies to watch it.

Colors were a bit off and the texture wan't all that pleasant, if I remember correctly....

Last edited:

Susurrus

I remember that I watched Chronicle. I can't remember what it was about. Maybe some superpowers? A dude with lightning bolt powers comes to mind? idk. I know google is a thing, but I got other threads to browse.

JonSnowball

Subverting expectations by having the characters powers be used exclusively for amusement by a group of ditzy airheads would be entertaining. 90 minutes of a group of empowered young women using x-ray vision to stare at famous dicks and giggle to each other prior to a conflicting event happening, like kidnapping the Hemsworth brothers for some kind of demented sexual game, and having the girls argue over which they prefer before one of them gets their head exploded with jolts of lightning and the girls have a major showdown after one of them says "I know all about giving head but this is next level!". It's a romantic comedy thriller.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ah yes, "the female point of view". That's gonna get people to the theatres for sure.
FJ1xjsYSB14iDwI77ddZnQrijYE3waTVSxXp6GLd4DZETX5sCbo905XoDRx3z4YGBNucGUs

People like to criticize Hollywood for running out of ideas, but this is the bold, fresh thinking that reflects the modern zeitgeist. But it would be even bolder with a diverse, inclusive cast. Can't wait for a superhero movie where our Asian/Black/Hispanic Bi/Trans/Gay/Queer/Asexual Female/Trans/Genderless heroes fight the micro aggressions of the white patriarchy.

Kimahri

Banned
Right. Hollywood. Where a great idea is taking something old and just gender bending it. As long as the end result is female leads that is.

If they wanna be stunning and brave they'll do an all male reboot of mean girls.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The female-led thing is usually whatever, but the fact that the original was written by Max Landis who turned out to be a sex pest makes it kinda funny.

Oh yes. Let’s me guess. Instead of a fairly interesting character story about the unraveling of a down on his luck kid who can’t handle his new found power, we will get some boilerplate “girl power/anti patriarchy” nonsense.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Oh, let me guess the plot, the empowered women will be fighting against a Donald Trump like villain that will spread fake news and will be fighting him and other members of the patriarchy.

It's all so tiring.

sol_bad

I first film was just OK, can't say I'm clamoring for a sequel in any way, shape or form. I'll no doubt still go and see it though, I likes the cinemas.

Azurro

Banned
I first film was just OK, can't say I'm clamoring for a sequel in any way, shape or form. I'll no doubt still go and see it though, I likes the cinemas.

You already know you'll like everything and shill for everything, so, why do you bother going to the cinema? You can just set up a monthly direct debit from your account to all of the Hollywood studios, way more practical and they totally need your support.

Last edited:

sol_bad

You already know you'll like everything and shill for everything, so, why do you bother going to the cinema? You can just set up a monthly direct debit from your account to all of the Hollywood studios, way more practical and they totally need your support.

LMAO
Did you not read my last post properly?

mortal

Gold Member
Seems redundant, and the first film was pretty self-contained.

This has a feminism stench all over it from that description.

CAB_Life

Needs Laverne Cox, more wheelchairs and more chestfeeding before Twitter gives my smooth-brain the a-ok to watch.

Amiga

Japan has been producing tons of great fiction content with female leads or for the female market for decades and without fanfare. why can't the US Entertainment industry just do it like this without the "replacement" obsession?

OrtizTwelve

Was Aliens marketed as "female led"? or was it just "a movie with humans in it"?

Curious...

Same goes for:

Thelma & Louise
Kill Bill
Alien
Titanic
Basic Instinct

Bingo. Those were all good movies regardless who the lead was, and when it was a female, nobody made a big deal about it or cared, because the character being female wasn’t important. It was the story.

Only today’s movies make a big deal about irrelevant things such as gender and race, which normal people don’t care about, they just want a good movie.

When you sell your film or hype it with woke nonsense, everyone just rolls their eyes. Ghostbusters 2016, and the recent Ocean’s film, all examples of woke hype trash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom