• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feliz Día de la Independencia de México! Come celebrate with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalvaPot

Today (Or tomorrow, its kind of complicated) México celebrates 205 years of independence. Well, kind of. What actually happened was that in 1810 Miguel Hidalgo, who we call "El Padre de la Patria" called the people to fight for a better government. A few might argue he really didn´t wanted Spain to stop governing, but a big movement did start, people started killing each other, alliances, betrayals, all kinds of stuff. One thing lead to another and by the end of it, in 1821, after pretty much all the players that started the war died, México was a free country... kind of.

Aaaaaanyway, you can check Wikipedia or an actual book for the full story, is actually pretty fascinating, it even got its own brilliant Telenovela.

But what this means for us is that us Mexicans have a free day to drink, party, have our president yell at us for a few minutes and, of course... put a mustache on our avatar!

What? That is not a real tradition? But... but I already put a mustache on mine...

Come on! It will be fun! And it just can be for the 15th/16th of September!

Here, I even made a mustache for you to go ahead and just put on your silly face:
ykph8gn.png

VIVA MÉXICO CABRONES!!!

Holy shit slap that stache on me pronto!

I'm born in America but my parents hail from Mexico and take every day they can to have an excuse to drink and party lol. I actually studied up on Mexican history last year, it was really interesting to learn all the crazy conflicts that occurred.

Viva the tilde, AKA that squiggly line you put over the letter "N" to give it that "ng" kinda sound. :3

SalvaPot

Is the mustache a real thing or is it some kind of light hearted stereotype?
Its a very real thing, although in the modern world is not as prevalent, the mustache is still a symbol of power and sexiness, specially in places with great love for tradition. My family on my mother side has a farm and my uncle has the manliest mustache you´ll ever see, my mother once told me that, when my uncle was 13th and was getting his first facial hairs, he would groom and shave it religiously so it would grew hard and strong, and it did.

ajua!

I'll take a moustache Salva

Sure thing!

5ocyvLi.png

Holy shit slap that stache on me pronto!

I'm born in America but my parents hail from Mexico and take every day they can to have an excuse to drink and party lol. I actually studied up on Mexican history last year, it was really interesting to learn all the crazy conflicts that occurred.

Viva the tilde, AKA that squiggly line you put over the letter "N" to give it that "ng" kinda sound. :3

Servido!
vbFdiZJ.png

Mexican story is so rich, I found myself fascinated how linked it is with american story (I read about the US years later), for example how México official name is Estados Unidos Mexicanos (United States of Mexico), since we pretty much copied a lot of the ideas from the United States of America´s Constitution. Also the betrayals are far more often in our story.

This date is of great importance for Mexicans and I'm super proud of being one but, hate to be that guy, there is nothing to celebrate. Corruption, massacres, drug war, the dollar is almost $20, journalist are being censored or killed and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. To celebrate today is to approve of all the things listed above and accept Peña's legitimize.

Nephtis

This date is of great importance for Mexicans and I'm super proud of being one but, hate to be that guy, there is nothing to celebrate. Corruption, massacres, drug war, the dollar is almost $20, journalist are being censored or killed and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. To celebrate today is to approve of all the things listed above and accept Peña's legitimize.

Yeah. I agree with you.

Kind of funny, no? Y'know, that Mexico needs to fight for independence again.

I thought Cinco de Mayo was Mexican Independence Day.

A lot of people do, and it's celebrated far more in the US than anywhere else. It's weird. Cinco de Mayo was just a battle... And the French came back and took over Mexico anyway. Though, that didn't last long either, just three years.

SalvaPot

After years of struggling with this myself, I had realize that there are times for everything. Time to fight, time to keep peace, time to complain and time to make a stand. I was one of those who did not vote for Peña Nieto, my family didn´t either. Its true, violence and corruption is everywhere, but that doesn´t make our country, as a whole, worst.

The truth is, I have come to realize, that what makes México great is its people. Mexicans are kind, are passionate, are warm are honest. Sadly, México is also a very rich country in resources and greed takes into the front the worst of us.

But that really shouldn´t stop us from celebrating what is, by heritage, ours. As you said, you love this country, why not allow yourself to celebrate it? Sure, there are problems out there, but there will always be. You will have your chance to fight in your own way, you can even make your fight, as you are doing right now, while celebrating our people.

So I disagree. Taking this day, a completely arbitrary date set by people far before we where born, as a day for celebration, is ok. Why should we let the assholes in power ruin a day that, far before they got that power, was given to us to express our joy to be born in this soil?

This is how you and others feel, but you're not above those of us who feel otherwise. BTW it's legitimacy.

You got what I was trying to say. And no, I'm not above others, I'm just conscious of the situation in the country and that is why I point it out why I believe there is nothing to celebrate. Also, are you implying that Mexico is doing great? Because I want to live in that Mexico friend.

After years of struggling with this myself, I had realize that there are times for everything. Time to fight, time to keep peace, time to complain and time to make a stand. I was one of those who did not vote for Peña Nieto, my family didn´t either. Its true, violence and corruption is everywhere, but that doesn´t make our country, as a whole, worst.

The truth is, I have come to realize, that what makes México great is its people. Mexicans are kind, are passionate, are warm are honest. Sadly, México is also a very rich country in resources and greed takes into the front the worst of us.

But that really shouldn´t stop us from celebrating what is, by heritage, ours. As you said, you love this country, why not allow yourself to celebrate it? Sure, there are problems out there, but there will always be. You will have your chance to fight in your own way, you can even make your fight, as you are doing right now, while celebrating our people.

So I disagree. Taking this day, a completely arbitrary date set by people far before we where born, as a day for celebration, is ok. Why should we let the assholes in power ruin a day that, far before they got that power, was given to us to express our joy to be born in this soil?

I agree with you 100% but I just can't stand Peña or the governor of my state, for what they represent, part of the celebration is watching until midnight El Grito de Dolores right? That I can not do. Sure having parties or family reunion is fine since its a day off and I have nothing against that but to make it a legit celebration we have to watch him, so I'd rather not celebrate at all. Hope you have fun though, and use this day to unstressed yourself and your family of the reality of which we live in.

Servido!
vbFdiZJ.png

Mexican story is so rich, I found myself fascinated how linked it is with american story (I read about the US years later), for example how México official name is Estados Unidos Mexicanos (United States of Mexico), since we pretty much copied a lot of the ideas from the United States of America´s Constitution. Also the betrayals are far more often in our story.
Yes! Thanks for it! :)

Mexico had a very dramatic history, I agree.
This all makes me kinda sad though. To date my dad wishes he could move his entire family to America because, for all the shitty police stories and gun debates and Republican mockery that goes on here it's all a much better overall reality than what goes on in Mexico.

However, we shouldn't let that stop us from enjoying life and every happy moment we can get. After all, how else can we earn a reputation for being great party people who make everyone happy with the power of staches?

Also, how do I groom a stache to get it on a list of sexiest facial hair on MexiGAF? Is it in the genes, or do I gotta trim it real careful and look after it like a plant in the winter?

DJChuy

Hispanic here, and I'm somewhat excited for tomorrow.

Back then, we would go to Mexico and celebrate, but it has gotten pretty ugly as of late. We just do a little celebration in the states now, but it's not the same as being en la feria with a bunch of people doing el grito & dancing, watching those pole guys swinging down, all while eating corn or tacos de papa.

SalvaPot

You got what I was trying to say. And no, I'm not above others, I'm just conscious of the situation in the country and that is why I point it out why I believe there is nothing to celebrate. Also, are you implying that Mexico is doing great? Because I want to live in that Mexico friend.

I agree with you 100% but I just can't stand Peña or the governor of my state, for what they represent, part of the celebration is watching until midnight El Grito de Dolores right? That I can not do. Sure having parties or family reunion is fine since its a day off and I have nothing against that but to make it a legit celebration we have to watch him, so I'd rather not celebrate at all. Hope you have fun though, and use this day to unstressed yourself and your family of the reality of which we live in.

In what state do you live? I can understand that, I live on Tijuana and for a while we had Jorge Hank as our president, if you are not familiar with him give him a quick google search. He tried to run for Governor and thank god he lost.

You know it. Cinco de Mayo is like my favorite Fourth of July and uhhh 15/16 of September is cool too, just not as roll-off-the-tongue.

In what state do you live? I can understand that, I live on Tijuana and for a while we had Jorge Hank as our president, if you are not familiar with him give him a quick google search. He tried to run for Governor and thank god he lost.

Jalisco, we have literally a Peña clone, same hair style and dumb, thankfully the left won GDL and if everything goes alright we might get our first left governor, than perhaps I would celebrate with everyone else.

SalvaPot

Jalisco, we have literally a Peña clone, same hair style and dumb, thankfully the left won GDL and if everything goes alright we might get our first left governor, than perhaps I would celebrate with everyone else.

Oh man, I know who he is, but yeah, you are getting a chance for a better government soon enough.

Jalisco is freaking beautiful, I was there on a road trip a few years ago, got ourselves lost in a town over there, the plaza there is imprinted in my mind, it was clearly old but so clean and bright, I can´t remember what the name of the town was, but if I ever get on a road trip in that side of the country again I´ll try to find it, even if I can recall anything else about it.

Great post.
Reminded me of Los Tigres Del Norte's La Granja song while I read it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff3C-Kyv8wI

Oh, at least you're honest about your biases. The left did great in Michoacán eh. In my opinion there is no such thing as the left in MX but that's off topic. I can understand the sentiment, inequality hasn't changed since the independence, but I just can't accept that choosing to celebrate equals condoning the endless missteps of the governing class, which is composed of members of the society.

Maybe if we own up to our own fuck ups as a society we wouldn't feel the need to blame daddy government for all our woes or praise it when it does what it's supposed to. Televisa sucks! yeah it does, but people are willingly and religiously tuning in. Who's to blame?

I'm listening the youtube stream from Auditorio Nacional and I celebrate our traditional music (Guadalajara Guadalajara playing btw), if I can't have anything to celebrate might as well take a gun to my mouth. And living in Juarez you'd think that'd already happen. Corrido de Chihuahua ajua!

Oh man, I know who he is, but yeah, you are getting a chance for a better government soon enough.

Jalisco is freaking beautiful, I was there on a road trip a few years ago, got ourselves lost in a town over there, the plaza there is imprinted in my mind, it was clearly old but so clean and bright, I can´t remember what the name of the town was, but if I ever get on a road trip in that side of the country again I´ll try to find it, even if I can recall anything else about it.

Indeed it is, Jalisco is IMO the best state, we have our own flag, greatest weather, greatest food, cultural origin of Mexico, Chapala, Tequila, Vallarta, and of course La Perla Tapatia. I love it and my life is relatively nice and I feel safe here, we have one of the best public university only behind UNAM and IPN, there is also a lot of job opportunities in the field I love (IT) and I could go on and on but just because I have it good I feel like I can't ignore all the things that are happening to other people in other states, we're all Mexcians after all and we should be helping each other out but the traitors that "represent" us make it harder to do that. And yes fortunately, on the local level, we have a little more hope.

Oh, at least you're honest about your biases. The left did great in Michoacán eh. In my opinion there is no such thing as the left in MX but that's off topic. I can understand the sentiment, inequality hasn't changed since the independence, but I just can't accept that choosing to celebrate equals condoning the endless missteps of the governing class, which is composed of members of the society.

Maybe if we own up to our own fuck ups as a society we wouldn't feel the need to blame daddy government for all our woes or praise it when it does what it's supposed to. Televisa sucks! yeah it does, but people are willingly and religiously tuning in. Who's to blame?

I'm listening the youtube stream from Auditorio Nacional and I celebrate our traditional music (Guadalaja Guadalaja playing btw), if I can't have anything to celebrate might as well take a gun to my mouth. And living in Juarez you'd think that'd already happen. Corrido de Chihuahua ajua!

Ha, the classic right wing argument that "we have to change ourselves first before we change the government" and "everyone is corrupt". No friend, I am not corrupt and Mexicans weren't born corrupt, everyone that says that always does it to justify their crimes. Is it too much to ask daddy government to do their job? We pay them a fortune after all, its also the law but nope "we have to change ourselves first" according to you. And I am owning up to their faults by not forgetting them or ignoring the problems. Dude, just have fun watching your daddy Duarte tonight and forgetting that he bankrupted your state.

Roo

Indeed it is, Jalisco is IMO the best state, we have our own flag, greatest weather, greatest food, cultural origin of Mexico, Chapala, Tequila, Vallarta, and of course La Perla Tapatia. I love it and my life is relatively nice and I feel safe here, we have one of the best public university only behind UNAM and IPN, there is also a lot of job opportunities in the field I love (IT) and I could go on and on but just because I have it good I feel like I can't ignore all the things that are happening to other people in other states, we're all Mexcians after all and we should be helping each other out but the traitors that "represent" us make it harder to do that. And yes fortunately, on the local level, we have a little more hope.

LIUEsQZ.gif

Rainy season is always a fucking mess and summer is too hot now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom