• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS MEXICO 1810 - 2016. 206 years, beaten but we still stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
MEXICO, MEXICOOOOOOO
TE LLEVO EN EL CORAZOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!

618sKTy.jpg

Wait.......... What do we celebrate again??

The start of La Guerra de Independencia de Mexico (from Spain, that is)
The Mexican War of Independence (Spanish: Guerra de Independencia de México) was an armed conflict, and the culmination of a political and social process which ended the rule of Spain in 1821 in the territory of New Spain. The war had its antecedent in the French invasion of Spain in 1808; it extended from the Grito de Dolores by Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla on September 16, 1810, to the entrance of the Army of the Three Guarantees led by Augustín de Iturbide to Mexico City on September 27, 1821. September 16 is celebrated as Mexican Independence Day.

Prelude to Mexican Independence

Long before 1810, Mexicans had begun to chafe under Spanish rule. Spain kept a stranglehold on her colonies, only permitting them limited trade opportunities and generally appointing Spaniards (as opposed to native-born Creoles) to important colonial posts. To the north, the United States had won its independence decades before, and many Mexicans felt they could, too. In 1808, Creole patriots saw their chance when Napoleon invaded Spain and imprisoned Ferdinand VII. This allowed Mexican and South American rebels to set up their own governments and yet claim loyalty to the imprisoned Spanish King.

In Mexico, the creoles decided to fuck it, the time had come for independence.

It was a dangerous business, however. There might have been chaos in Spain, but the mother country still controlled the colonies. In 1809-1810 there were several conspiracies, most of which were found out and the conspirators harshly punished. In Querétaro, an organized conspiracy including several prominent citizens was preparing to make its move at the end of 1810. The leaders included parish priest Father Miguel Hidalgo, Royal army officer Ignacio Allende, government official Miguel Dominguez, cavalry captain Juan Aldama and others. The date of October 2 was selected for the insurrection against Spain to begin.

El Grito de Dolores

**click the picture, i know you want to ...

NO!! Not that Dolores, for chris sake .......

In early September, however, the conspiracy began to unravel. The plot had been found out and one by one the conspirators were being rounded up by colonial officials. On September 15, 1810, Father Miguel Hidalgo heard the bad news: the jig was up and the Spanish were coming for him. On the morning of the 16th, Hidalgo took to the pulpit in the town of Dolores and made a shocking announcement: he was taking up arms against the tyrannies of the Spanish government and his parishioners were all invited to join him. This famous speech became known as "El Grito de Dolores," Or the "Cry of Dolores." Within hours Hidalgo had an army: a large, unruly, poorly armed but resolute mob.

March to Mexico City

Hidalgo, assisted by military man Ignacio Allende, led his army towards Mexico City. Along the way they laid siege to the town of Guanajuato and fought off the Spanish defense at the Battle of Monte de las Cruces. By November he was at the gates of the city itself, with angry army large enough to take it. Yet Hidalgo inexplicably retreated, perhaps turned aside by fears of a large Spanish army coming to reinforce the city.
Fall of Hidalgo:

In January of 1811, Hidalgo and Allende were routed at the Battle of Calderon Bridge by a much smaller but better-trained Spanish army. Forced to flee, the rebel leaders, along with some others, were soon captured. Allende and Hidalgo were both put to death in June and July of 1811. The peasant army had disbanded and it looked as if Spain had reasserted control over its unruly colony.

Mexican Independence is Won

But such was not the case. One of Hidalgo’s captains, José María Morelos, took up the banner of independence and fought until his own capture and execution in 1815. He was in turn succeeded by his own lieutenant, Vicente Guerrero and rebel leader Guadalupe Victoria, who fought for six more years until 1821, when they reached an agreement with turncoat royal officer Agustín de Iturbide which allowed for Mexico’s definitive liberation in September of 1821.
Mexican Independence Celebrations:

September 16 is one of Mexico's most important holidays. Every year, local mayors and politicians re-enact the famous Grito de Dolores. In Mexico City, thousands congregate in the Zócalo, or main square, on the night of the 15th to hear the President ring the same bell that Hidalgo did and recite the Grito de Dolores. The crowd roars, cheers and chants, and fireworks light up the sky. On the 16th, every city and town all over Mexico celebrates with parades, dances and other civic festivals.

Some people mistakenly believe that Cinco de Mayo, or May Fifth, is Mexico's independence day. That's not correct: Cinco de Mayo actually celebrates the unlikely Mexican victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla in 1862.

gJHhH3F.jpg

To all of them, i salute you and thank you for giving your lives for all of us.

OK. How do we celebrate it?

Well, being a good citizen and human being is desired, not being a general douchebag!!

Fighting for equality, helping others, lending a hand to those who need it.
I know some (me included) will say, What the point of celebration? Are we really independent? The peso is in the bottom record of all time lows, rampant corruption (thanks, puto pri ...) crime and narco doing whatever the hell they want, politicians fucking everything for us, falling infraestructure and bigotry in the increase.

I KNOW of all of this, and believe me, i'll be the first one to rant about all that every day and whichever lend me an ear. I'd wish we weren't slaves to all of that but every day of my life i try to fight all of it, by being a good Mexican citizen that don't take part in crime, don't take part in corruptelas (even if those 2 end biting me in the ass financially more than once) don't discriminate no matter their faith, skin color, social status, what you do for a living, where you were born (ok, if you're from Colima or Nayarit i'll still laugh at you!) sexual prefference or orientation.

Remember, Los buenos SOMOS MAS. We can fix this shithole, just like the Aztecs did it before.

There's a lot for why we should be proud about.

sRwNBJY.jpg

But since today is a day to indulge in debauchery, let's put that aside (but only for today, OK?):

And of course there can't be a party whithout music.

Himno Nacional Mexicano

Guadalajara (Mexico's un-official anthem)

El Milagro de tus Ojos

La Bikina (With LuisMiRey, of course)

José José - Dueto con Juan Gabriel - Como Hacer Para Olvidar

And since we are with Jose Jose (and the begining of the true emo music cycle.)

El Triste (En Vivo)

Amar y Querer

La Nave del Olvido

My all time FAVOURITE; Payaso

And just because; Payaso - Molotov

JuanGa? Anyone?

With Rocio Durcal:

Fue Un Placer Conocerte

No Me Vuelvo a Enamorar

By himself:

Yo no naci para amar

Hasta Que Te Conocí

Debo Hacerlo

De Mí Enamórate

Desde Iztapalapa, para todo el mundo!!

Los Ángeles Azules

Mi Niña Mujer ft. Ha*Ash

El Listón de Tu Pelo ft. Denise Gutiérrez

Cómo Te Voy a Olvidar ft. Kinky

Ay Amor ft Los Amigos Invisibles Jiggy Drama El Gavachillo Ozomatli

In honor of my Afro Americans sisters and brothers and Black people around the world which form the oftenly neglected Third Root of our roots, i WELCOME you all to this party and thanks for providing your culture, music and even your life. THANK YOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYLj5dyy6No

Los Cumbieros del Sur - La Cumbia del Barrigon

GRUPO MAR AZUL. MUSICA AFRO-OAXAQUEÑA

Sones de México y la Cultura Afromexicana

Sones de México Ensemble: Mexican American Music & Dance from Chicago

Musica del Pueblo Negro Afromexicano Pinotepa

Asi Se Bailan En La Costa Chica De Guerrero Mexico

If you want to add something or comment do it. Let's all celebrate and remember, we have come a long way but there's still s shit ton of fuck to do. We can do better and we WILL do better.

bQCgIKB.jpg

No, THANK, YOU

**Art by Jesus Helguera and Jorge Gonzalez Camarena

Jacob

Congratulations, Mexico! I've always loved the badass eagle on your flag (and now in that picture too).

trejo

Shame there's not a whole lot to celebrate about atm.

At least there's only two years left of Peña Nieto!

cj_iwakura

I'm a fan of PXNDX, but I hear they're kind of like the Linkin Park of the country, heh.

(Their Pump It Up scene is awesome too.)

mavo

Banned
Que viva México chingada madre.

y que los culeros de los vecinos que no nos invitaron a la fiesta que chinguen a su madre.

Ledbetter

I find the lack of "banda" music offensive. Even though I'm not really a fan of this kind of music here I am, drinking in my room listening to this shit, missing my home state.

What will you be doing?

Irnbru

I just wanted to share some real ass Mexican food I made some seattlites who had no idea what real Mexican food was.

Carne Asada, Agujas, Fresh handmade tortillas, habanero salsa verde, Guac, and some Cotija. I need to make this again now.
Viva Mexico Cabrones!

Congrats Los Mexicanos. Puerto Rican here but I've always held a deep admiration for your people and culture.

Feliz Cumple and #VivaMexico

Dai101

Banned
You can't celebrate without the ultimate party song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x47NYUbtYb0

1GTdUjH.jpg

I love Mexico. Think I'm going back in November.

Preemptive WELCOME, ese

Viva Mexico Cabrones!!!

Asi es!

Dai, this is an amazing topic. Viva Mexico!

Those pictures of food! *drool*

Looks like I have a lot of music to listen to today.

Thanks ;-)

In my case, i'm celebrating the Pozole and tostadas i'm about to eat. That's all that matters :)

Oh my gaaaaaaaaah! I need some pozole. I hope mi jefa has saved me some.

I've missed these threads, Dai. Helluva job as always, bruh.

Thans Kidz ;-)

The worst part of moving out has been missing out on all my grandma's delicious food

Viva Mexico and all that

Yeah. That's one of the reasons i don't i can ever leave this place.

Aside of not having money to do it anyway

Already halfway wasted. Viva!

Lucky you!!

I'm a fan of PXNDX, but I hear they're kind of like the Linkin Park of the country, heh.

(Their Pump It Up scene is awesome too.)

Pretty much, only even worst. And yeah, i was part of that a decade of so ago. I preffered DDR tho'

Que viva México chingada madre.

y que los culeros de los vecinos que no nos invitaron a la fiesta que chinguen a su madre.

Fuck 'em.

hopefully after peña everything will get better.

Let's hope so. But as Obama said: "Don't boo, VOTE"

I find the lack of "banda" music offensive. Even though I'm not really a fan of this kind of music here I am, drinking in my room listening to this shit, missing my home state.

What will you be doing?

Man someone already posted El Sonidito!! What else you want!!!!

Nah is OK, you can post if you want to.

Let me contribute with some awful horrible good music:

3BallMTY - Inténtalo ft. El Bebeto, América Sierra

Great, now i want a Torta and a Victoria

I know that feel. Specially now.....

I just wanted to share some real ass Mexican food I made some seattlites who had no idea what real Mexican food was.

Carne Asada, Agujas, Fresh handmade tortillas, habanero salsa verde, Guac, and some Cotija. I need to make this again now.
Viva Mexico Cabrones!

That looks fantastic. Now we need their faces being melted for that glorious goodness.

v1lla21

Viva!
Me chinge unas pinches tortotas de asada esta mañana en el trabajo y cuando llegue a la casa mi mamá había preparado un pozolito y una agua de guayaba bien rica. Estuvo chido hoy.

Media

I read the whole OP, thank you for the education. Grew up in New Mexico, but never learned the history behind Mexican Independence. It's kinda crazy how alike our countries are in the end.

Viva, Mexico Gaf! I miss your food :(

Ledbetter

Man, we have a great variety of good alcohol here. Negra Modelo is my favorite beer.

Viva Mexico Cabrones!

That looks delicious. I'd add a salsa roja just because I like tacos with both kind of salsas.

Man someone already posted El Sonidito!! What else you want!!!!

Nah is OK, you can post if you want to.

Let me contribute with some awful horrible good music:

3BallMTY - Inténtalo ft. El Bebeto, América Sierra

It's ok man, you already made a great thread.

Hey chairos, be careful

Thank God I didn't see a single post on my Facebook feed saying annoying stuff like that.

trejo

Whenever I see that band's name in written form I read it as "Pix n' dix". And they're more like the Nickelback of the country, except much less talented.

OP I'm drinking on some Beers and those pics just made me hungry as hell. Mexico truly has some of the tastiest foods ever.

Congrats to your countries Independence! Something to be proud of.

Thanks for the OP, I honestly had no idea that was the history of how Mexico won its independence, very cool story and I remember the names Allende and Hidalgo a lot. Absolutely crazy it took 12+ years of fighting before it happened too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
As good as any time to post Bully Magnets' last year video on the Independence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feNrrP8Q_us
There is no better time to post the coolest piece of war propaganda ever made.

edit: upps it didn't show up but is the first pic on this article http://retrohelix.com/2015/02/i-honestly-didnt-know-mexico-had-world-war-ii-propaganda/
Why the fuck did my SEP books never cover anything beyond the Revolutionary years? Holy shit, these are amazing.

This thread is reminding me of my best friend and his family growing up who were immigrants from Mexico. Their last name was Aguilar and they are some of the nicest and truest people I've ever met.

I've never visited actual Mexico even though my wife has 2x but honestly from my interactions with your people you are fantastic and beautiful. I need to visit one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom