• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Federal judge has ruled that movie studios can be sued under false advertising if they release deceptive movie trailers

FeralEcho

Horizon trailers were much worse. The first one used graphics that were clearly downgraded in the final reveal, but it was the second so called gameplay trailer that featured a mission and entire cutscenes that were not in the final game. the actual area is there but the mission is nowhere to be found.

I have over 100 hours played in Forbidden West and I genuinely was constantly looking for that mission ever since i passed the mid game portion.It's ridiculous it's not in the game.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I fully support suing companies for shady marketing.

A key part of a movie's draw is cast. If a movie promotes him/her in it and they it gets edited out, that's BS. If movie makers are that on the fence about it, then just promote the main cast which wont be cut. Ana Armas was a bit player in the movie involving one scene. And was cut out. Is Ana Armas a big enough draw to make this into a legal stink? Maybe. I dont know how famous Armas is.

If Brad Pitt was shown in trailers and the final cut had him edited out, that'd be shady. How many people are going to say "Ya, no problem". Hardly any.

People watch a movie with cast often being an important factor.

On the other hand, let's say a cellphone maker showed on TV the charging cord is black. But in real life it end up being white or grey. Is that grounds for suing because they promoted the wrong colour cable on TV? Technically, it is wrong. But something like that will likely slide since nobody is buying a cellphone because of what colour the power cord is.

Marvel14

Banned
That seems like it could be potentially misused. All the modern Planet of the Apes trilogy trailers used manipulative editing to not spoil the actual plots of the films (Rise trailer made it look like apes were taking over, they were actually just escaping captivity; Dawn made it look like Caesar was reluctantly starting the battle, it was actually Koba; and War made it look like the focus was a war between Caesar and Woody Harrelson’s character, it was actually a prison escape story). I thought it was great, and I’d be pissed if a marketing team going up and beyond to avoid spoilers got sued for that.

Honestly, I just can’t with people who see a film SOLELY because an actor/actress is in it. Like, sure they can be a pro, but ultimately the film being good or bad in a person‘s eye should be what matters, not who was in the film.

Plus, what if a trailer was released, and decisions later had to be made to edit the scenes with a character who had a small role out? Seriously, this is a stupid idea.
Agreed...it needs to be proven that the "doctored" scene contributes to misleadingly selling the film. The Anna de Armas scene I think does because it suggests some additional romantic intrigue plot line.The missing scene in infinity War doesn't fit the bill. Can anyone seriously argue they felt cheated and sold short because the Hulk wasn't in the Wakanda charge? It doesn't suggest a missing additional plot line.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

y1ic69f.png
XfqgWb1.jpg

"Uh oh the jig is up..."

aPzXRXO.jpg
mAXFnYT.jpg

I mean there had to have been at least one kid who watched those commercials only to find out what the actual gameplay looks like.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Speaking of misleading trailers, this one from Final Fantasy 15 is the worst offender imo. 99% is straight up cut from the game. Fuck Square Enix for even releasing this trailer to hype up their game. I'm still salty this entire segment was cut. It looked nothing like this in the final game.

GymWolf

Horizon trailers were much worse. The first one used graphics that were clearly downgraded in the final reveal, but it was the second so called gameplay trailer that featured a mission and entire cutscenes that were not in the final game. the actual area is there but the mission is nowhere to be found.

This thing is not about graphic and even if you don't have that specific mission (that was literally nothing special) you still have erend, the stealth, the fight with the mammuth etc, what do you miss so much? Erend being a weak bitch saved by aloy?

I don't feel robbed or misguided by that trailer AT ALL.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
They should step up and break down on manipulative advertising in general.

Edit and stop allowing advertising for fast food snickers cola and the like.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Advertisement by its very nature is deceptive.

Doesn't have to be that way though.

But when simple psychological tricks/manipulation can double your desired product buying income then yeah it's most probably deceptive to a certain extent.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This thing is not about graphic and even if you don't have that specific mission (that was literally nothing special) you still have erend, the stealth, the fight with the mammuth etc, what do you miss so much? Erend being a weak bitch saved by aloy?

I don't feel robbed or misguided by that trailer AT ALL.
There are plenty of other things that were shown there that were not in the final game. The destruction caused by the Elephant is not there in the final game. The way the wooden armor on the elephant falls apart in glorious fashion is not there. The gorgeous underwater shots are downgraded. We all know the hero lighting was downgraded.

Timestamped:

Big lighting downgrade underwater along with underwater detail, and number of fish.

None of this looks as good in the final game.

Regardless, the problem is that they created a fake demo just to sell the game. It's the classic example of a vertical slice. The only problem is that they did this just months before the game came out. They couldve used any of the story missions that late in the dev cycle but chose to fake it instead.

GymWolf

There are plenty of other things that were shown there that were not in the final game. The destruction caused by the Elephant is not there in the final game. The way the wooden armor on the elephant falls apart in glorious fashion is not there. The gorgeous underwater shots are downgraded. We all know the hero lighting was downgraded.

Timestamped:

Big lighting downgrade underwater along with underwater detail, and number of fish.

None of this looks as good in the final game.

Regardless, the problem is that they created a fake demo just to sell the game. It's the classic example of a vertical slice. The only problem is that they did this just months before the game came out. They couldve used any of the story missions that late in the dev cycle but chose to fake it instead.

Dude that destruction didn't looked anything special even when they released that trailer, it was your standard rock destruction with all the parts disappearing after 2 seconds, horizon 1 already had that tech and i'm 99% sure that you can destroy walls in fw aswell, same for the wood destruction, that shit wasn't impressive in any way, shape or form if you played horizon 1 that has more destruction than people want to admit for an open world.

Graphical fidelity was not the point in discussion, almost all games have downgrads but you don't see a single mechanic or character or enemy that is not present in the game.

That trailer is hardly misleading except for some part of the graphic, welcome to 99% of videogame reveal trailers.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dude that destruction didn't looked anything special even when they released that trailer, it was your standard rock destruction with all the parts disappearing after 2 seconds, horizon 1 already had that tech and i'm 99% sure that you can destroy walls in fw aswell, same for the wood destruction, that shit wasn't impressive in any way, shape or form if you played horizon 1 that has more destruction than people want to admit for an open world.

Graphical fidelity was not the point in discussion, almost all games have downgrads but you don't see a single mechanic or character or enemy that is not present in the game.

That trailer is hardly misleading except for some part of the graphic, welcome to 99% of videogame reveal trailers.
Not sure what to tell you. That destruction is not in the game. You can look up videos of the tremortrusk fight in the game. There are stone walls all around him and they dont break during gameplay. You get a cutscene with some small destruction but in the actual fight the wooden thing falls down without any fancy physics we saw in the trailer and the stone walls stay up the whole time. They even removed the walls from that area where you now fight a Spinosarus.

We will have to disagree on what is misleading or not. This ruling was about a scene shown in trailers that was not in the final game. This entire level is not in the final game. Downgrades or not, this is exactly what the judge ruling is referring to.

GymWolf

Not sure what to tell you. That destruction is not in the game. You can look up videos of the tremortrusk fight in the game. There are stone walls all around him and they dont break during gameplay. You get a cutscene with some small destruction but in the actual fight the wooden thing falls down without any fancy physics we saw in the trailer and the stone walls stay up the whole time. They even removed the walls from that area where you now fight a Spinosarus.

We will have to disagree on what is misleading or not. This ruling was about a scene shown in trailers that was not in the final game. This entire level is not in the final game. Downgrades or not, this is exactly what the judge ruling is referring to.
Dude, the rock destruction is the exact same as horizon 1, why the fuck they should not include something that they already have created tech wise?

Search for some horizon 1 destruction gif, the rock walls get destroyed in the same exact way.

I'm pretty sure that we both called out that shit because it wasn't an upgrade from the first game, probably because it has to run on a fucking jaguar.

I clearly remember rock walls destruction in the sequel aswell.

And no, nothing in that reveal trailer is misleading, except for the graphic, nobody gives a fuck if erend doesn't have those 2 lines, nobody is so fucking psycho about horizon plot to feel misguided by the lack of an unimportant 20 sec cutscene.

Way different than showing hulk in a charge with other heroes in what looks like the big fight of the movie and then having him being a bitch for the whole movie, that is misleading.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Doesn't have to be that way though.

But when simple psychological tricks/manipulation can double your desired product buying income then yeah it's most probably deceptive to a certain extent.
I like deceptive ads because I feel strong when I don’t fall for it.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I like deceptive ads because I feel strong when I don’t fall for it.

I get what you're saying. And it's a good thing. So please don't get me wrong. Advertisement is inherently manipulative. It's not only there to make a product or service seem better or manifest it's existence in it's most ideal form. Advertising mostly comes down to using well researched and practiced psychological manipulation to get you to buy a product.

Step away a second or two and think about that.

We're constantly bombarded with well funded professional induced manipulation to get your money.

I said don't get me wrong because when you know this, and it should be obvious, recognizing said manipulation and feeling strong by way of acknowledging ie ignoring/not being pursued should be a standard and common.

I myself (not to say I'm better of whatever) feel frustrated and get an inner anger when confronted with advertisement, narrative driven script based "news" channels. "Gaming news/reviews" etc.

It angers me in my core hearing, seeing, experiencing this farce. I stopped watching TV over a decade ago. Don't have social media and can't stand the radio with it's commercials. It's mind control in essence. Sure. You can laugh or think man you're taking this to far etc. It's how it feels for me and that's enough.

Sorry for the rant and again; good stuff.

Remember, they're masters in enticing emotions associated with certain products etc. We're not looking at clowns at work here.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

I didn't watch those trailers but generally they put on the video 'not final product', 'subject to change' or 'work in progress'. Every fan should know by now that trailers are not the final product and ALWAYS check out reviews ahead of time and gameplay videos just prior to release. Don't preorder either. There is always at least a day in order to look this stuff up.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
"Tired of your day job? Microwave dinner and a couple hours to kill before hitting the sack?

We've got JUST the thing for YOU! It's a mediocre "action" movie poorly executed but you're on your phone anyways. It stars actors you never heard of and 5 minutes of screentime from "Insert 80's A lister"

"Just sit back, glance when you feel like it and call it a night"

That's 5$

Byeeeee

Last edited:
Top Bottom