• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 2022 BlizzCon event has been cancelled

Draugoth

Gold Member

40IU1FO16RKO1586390047559.jpg

To the Blizzard community,

We’ve decided to take a step back and pause on planning the previously announced BlizzConline event scheduled for early next year. This was a tough decision for all of us to make, but it’s the right one.

Any BlizzCon event takes every single one of us to make happen, an entire-company effort, fueled by our desire to share what we create with the community we care about so much. At this time, we feel the energy it would take to put on a show like this is best directed towards supporting our teams and progressing development of our games and experiences.

Additionally, we would also like to take the time to reimagine what a BlizzCon event of the future could look like. The first BlizzCon was held 16 years ago, and so much has changed in the time since—most notably, the multiple ways in which players and communities can come together and feel like they are a part of something bigger. Whatever the event looks like in the future, we also need to ensure that it feels as safe, welcoming, and inclusive as possible. We’re committed to continual communication with our players, and we see BlizzCon playing a big role in that going forward. We’re excited about what we’ll do with the event when we revisit it in the future.

One more thing we wanted to make clear: even though we aren’t holding BlizzConline in February, we’ll still be making announcements and updates for our games. We’re proud of our teams and the progress they’ve made across our games. We have a lot of exciting upcoming news and releases to share with you. You’ll continue hearing about those through our franchise channels, with the talented people on the BlizzCon team playing a part in supporting these efforts.

We’ll miss seeing you, but don’t worry. We’ll be back together soon.

Jennings

I hope they still make some reveal or announcement videos we can watch by then. I'd like to hear more about Diablo Immortal's progress. No need for a full convention to keep us updated.

Last edited:
I mean, they have nothing new to announce anyways. They've already played the D4 card, and they have no new IP. Are they stupid enough to show Diablo Immortal again?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After canceling BlizzCon 2021 and announcing plans for an event to be held in early 2022, Blizzard Entertainment announced this week that it will not be3 holding that event either. It's put a "pause on planning the previously announced BlizzConline event," the company announced on Tuesday, and will instead focus on supporting development teams and working on the games and experiences it already has planned. This shift in strategy notably was announced amidst an ongoing lawsuit against Activision Blizzard as well as other related investigations.

No date was set for 2022's iteration of a BlizzCon event, but it won't be happening now regardless. Blizzard announced its revised plans – or lack of BlizzCon plans – for next year in a post on the company's site.

"Any BlizzCon event takes every single one of us to make happen, an entire-company effort, fueled by our desire to share what we create with the community we care about so much," Blizzard said. "At this time, we feel the energy it would take to put on a show like this is best directed towards supporting our teams and progressing development of our games and experiences."

Blizzard also talked about how much the community and things in general have changed over the course of BlizzCons ever since the first one was held 16 years ago. It said it plans to make the future events, "safe, welcoming, and inclusive," though how those goals will be implemented wasn't said considering operations are at a pause right now.

"Whatever the event looks like in the future, we also need to ensure that it feels as safe, welcoming, and inclusive as possible," Blizzard said. "We're committed to continual communication with our players, and we see BlizzCon playing a big role in that going forward. We're excited about what we'll do with the event when we revisit it in the future."

Thanks mods for the title change

Happy Birthday Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Vaelka

Considering how the past Blizzcons have gone even without this lawsuit being public, yeah...
Blizzcon is dead, nobody actually likes Blizzard anymore except those on severe copium.
Even people who still play WoW mostly seem to hate Blizzard.

Saber

Gold Member
Probably for the best, the real Blizzard is long gone. And I don't have any for hopes for the likes of D4 after countless bad launches.

Vaelka

Probably for the best, the real Blizzard is long gone. And I don't have any for hopes for the likes of D4 after countless bad launches.
The fact that it's basically going to be an open world semi-MMO is just baffling to me and I've said it since it was announced...
I get that past Diablo's have been sorta open world, but not like this.

The mounts especially are concerning to me, because that would either imply that there's lots of just running/ riding long distances where mounts are necessary or you're simply just going to use them to skip mobs.
Which kinda just contradicts what Diablo is all about if you really think about it there's absolutely no reason why a Diablo game should have mounts they're in complete contradiction with what it has traditionally been about.

Lux R7

The fact that it's basically going to be an open world semi-MMO is just baffling to me and I've said it since it was announced...
I get that past Diablo's have been sorta open world, but not like this.

The mounts especially are concerning to me, because that would either imply that there's lots of just running/ riding long distances where mounts are necessary or you're simply just going to use them to skip mobs.
Which kinda just contradicts what Diablo is all about if you really think about it there's absolutely no reason why a Diablo game should have mounts they're in complete contradiction with what it has traditionally been about.

i agree and frankly i just hope that they can fix diablo 2 server issues so we can continue to play D2 for another 20 years.

Barakov

They basically have only OW2 to show off and canceling Blizzcon is a good way to dodge questions about the current scandal. Honestly, I would've cancelled it years ago to avoid all those awkward questions they get from WoW players.

MiguelItUp

Wow, surprising, but also not really. Considering the heat they've been in.

I still think it's amusing that they continue to just woke-ify World of Warcraft. It's like they're doing their damnedest to try and look like they're "doing good" after all they've done. It's surreal.

Kenpachii

its sad to see the best developer move into the shit show its today. This company was a decade ago straight up the best in the business nothing came close and now not so much.

In my view they need to kick out the wokes entirely, replace the entire managment and go back to there roots. Spend a fuck ton of money on warcraft 4, world of warcraft 2, diablo 4.

But they will keep dripfeeding and dripfeeding garbage until they die out.

YukiOnna

I miss the days when I was immensely hyped for their CG trailers like the Wrath of the Lich King one.

Good times, but they'll never go back to that.

PerfectDark

Banned
Blizzard has been dead for at least 10+ years. I am thankful for Diablo 2 R and now Blizzard can disappear. 0% chance Diablo 4 is even playable in 2053 when it releases.

Top Bottom