• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Warhammer 40,000 Game?

So what's everybody's favorite Warhammer 40,000 games?

Please keep in mind I'm sticking to Warhammer 40,000 so don't include Warhammer Fantasy or Age of Sigmar.

For me it would be Dawn of War Soulstorm and Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters.

Yes I think that most recent Warhammer 40,000 game is amazing. I've always loved XCOM and I really like the story behind this one but Soulstorm might be my favorite of all.

Honorable mentions also goes out to Space Marine and Dawn of War 2: Retribution.

Edit: as a huge fan of Rogue Trader, I wouldn't doubt that that will also become one of my favorite Warhammer 40,000 games.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
The original Dawn of War is the best Warhammer 40K game. Great mechanics and an awesome campaign mode. There are loads of expansions for it well, one of which includes Necron, so that’s a big hell yes. Shame about DoW II and III. What a fall from grace. :(

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Same as R6Rider R6Rider , very excited for it's sequel too.

I'll add Mechanicus. Haven't played it a lot but I should, that atmosphere and soundtrack are something else. Also, the Mechadudes look cool as fuck.

The original Dawn of War is the best Warhammer 40K game. Great mechanics and an awesome campaign mode. There are loads of expansions for it well, one of which includes Necron, so that’s a big hell yes. Shame about DoW II and III. What a fall from grace. :(
Wait, Dawn of War 2 was considered bad? I always heard people praising that. I know that Dawn of War 3 was considered pretty terrible. I don't think I've heard a single good thing about that game.

Kacho

Gold Member
Wait, Dawn of War 2 was considered bad? I always heard people praising that. I know that Dawn of War 3 was considered pretty terrible. I don't think I've heard a single good thing about that game.
Depends on who you ask. I know DoW II has its fans, like it’s no where near the catastrophe that DoW III was, but I just assumed fans of the first one were disappointed with the more MoBA style sequel. It was a huge departure.

I still played the hell out of it in co-op (RIP GFWL) and had a good time. There were interesting mechanics in it, but it was a downgrade from the OG DoW in my eyes.

Last edited:

Gp1

It's a completely different beast.

I always saw Dow1 as a direct evolution of Warcraft 3. Dow 2 on the other side is an evolution of... a single player Dota/MOBA or something.

Kev Kev

ok im just gonna do this here... i still dont really know wtf warhammer is...? but vermintide 2 is one of my GOATs

i looked it up and as far as i can understand it started in the 80s as just "warhammer" and was basically a table top game like D&D??? then along the way they added different altered realities like 40k which is warhammer but with sci fi twist, then fantasy which is warhammer but with a fantasy twist, etc, is that right so far...?? and it was all still table top D&D style, and eventually made its way in video games??

am i close? lol

the only warhammer i know is vermintide 1 and 2. and as far as i can tell that is its own reality. like the world you see in vermintide 1 and 2 is found no one where else in the warhammer universe, correct? and there are lots of other fantasy realities, 40k realities, and other "spin offs" of warhammer..?? and then there is "age of sigmar" and im like, well they mention sigmar quite a bit in vermintide 2 so they are connected...? and then nurgel is mentioned in darktide trailers and nurgel was a big time villain in vermintide 1 and 2, i believe. so its like they borrow from each other but are all still seperate?

this shit makes my head spin and i cant seem to find a simplified answer. i love vermintide 2 and i cant wait for darktide, but i feel so lost as to where those fall in the warhammer universe.

and its ultimately not a big deal. like i dont feel i NEED to know but im so damn curious at this point, and all the answers ive found were super complicated and lost me like 4 sentences in lol. its like there is so much context to cover no one can accurately and concisely explain it to me.

any help would be appreciated

There's far too much trash out there that's wasted the licence.

Dawn of was was great and dawn of war 2 was even better.
Space marine was a good attempt.

I just wish we got a real meaty squad
co op gears of war rip off. Would fit perfectly with Cover shooting.

Dark tide looks like it will be good.

ok im just gonna do this here... i still dont really know wtf warhammer is...? but vermintide 2 is one of my GOATs

i looked it up and as far as i can understand it started in the 80s as just "warhammer" and was basically a table top game like D&D??? then along the way they added different altered realities like 40k which is warhammer but with sci fi twist, then fantasy which is warhammer but with a fantasy twist, etc, is that right so far...?? and it was all still table top D&D style, and eventually made its way in video games??

am i close? lol

the only warhammer i know is vermintide 1 and 2. and as far as i can tell that is its own reality. like the world you see in vermintide 1 and 2 is found no one where else in the warhammer universe, correct? and there are lots of other fantasy realities, 40k realities, and other "spin offs" of warhammer..?? and then there is "age of sigmar" and im like, well they mention sigmar quite a bit in vermintide 2 so they are connected...? and then nurgel is mentioned in darktide trailers and nurgel was a big time villain in vermintide 1 and 2, i believe. so its like they borrow from each other but are all still seperate?

this shit makes my head spin and i cant seem to find a simplified answer. i love vermintide 2 and i cant wait for darktide, but i feel so lost as to where those fall in the warhammer universe.

and its ultimately not a big deal. like i dont feel i NEED to know but im so damn curious at this point, and all the answers ive found were super complicated and lost me like 4 sentences in lol. its like there is so much context to cover no one can accurately and concisely explain it to me.

Vermintide is Warhammer Fantasy. However, they are releasing a Warhammer 40,000 game that's going to be very similar and that will be Darktide.

Kacho

Gold Member

am i close? lol

Think Warcraft and StarCraft. Those series were inspired by Warhammer. You got the fantasy flavor and the space flavor.

Age of Sigmar is current fantasy version after the original got nuked. Games workshop are in the process of reviving fantasy again - I think in large part due to the success of Vermintide and Total Warhammer.

Think Warcraft and StarCraft. Those series were inspired by Warhammer. You got the fantasy flavor and the space flavor.

Age of Sigmar is current fantasy version after the original got nuked. Games workshop are in the process of reviving fantasy again - I think in large part due to the success of Vermintide and Total Warhammer.
Isn't there a lot of hate towards Age of Sigmar?

I really don't follow or know a lot about Warhammer Fantasy. I know that with Age of Sigmar, the fantasy world looks less like our own and is now separated into multiple worlds that are all connected.

It seems from everything I look up online, it's not looked favorably upon.

Kacho

Gold Member
Isn't there a lot of hate towards Age of Sigmar?

I really don't follow or know a lot about Warhammer Fantasy. I know that with Age of Sigmar, the fantasy world looks less like our own and is now separated into multiple worlds that are all connected.

It seems from everything I look up online, it's not looked favorably upon.
Yeah, I don’t know anyone personally who plays. Online just about everyone shits on it. I get why GW cancelled fantasy but no one wants that AoS abomination. I still rock my Dwarves when I play with my buddies.

Hey hey hey hey.

Where the fuck is my boy Karl Urban in a Warhammer 40,000 game?

He would be a perfect Rogue Trader.

rs-1200x1200-220311113937-1200-Karl-Urban-in-The-boys.jpg

Last edited:

Apocryphon

I have a soft spot for Space Hulk, Vengeance of the Blood Angels but the real answer is Space Marine, a game I'm currently replaying on the Steam Deck. It's such a satisfying game to play.

Zug

I really like the DoW 2 singleplayer campaigns, they are very epic, and I love the RTS mix with the hero squad, the dynamic reminds me of classic RTWP CRPGs .
I don't care about multi, so the following games were very disapointing for me.

Duchess

I tried Necromunda, as I'd heard the game had improved massively following patching.

I played it for 3 hours and stopped. Utter shite. The enemy AI behaves like late 90s Quake bots - running around like their arses are on fire, shooting constantly. It's ... just a bad game.

SJRB

Gold Member
- Mechanicus, an excellent X-Com style game where you play as the Adeptus Mechanicus
- Battlesector, a cool turn-based strategy game about the Blood Angels
- Inquisitor, a solid Diablo-esque ARPG
- Sanctus Reach, a simple but great turn-based strategy game about the Space Wolves
- Gladius, a turn-based 4X strategy game where you can play multiple factions

I'd also mention Chaos Gate because it is mechanically sound but man, it has such a ghastly, offputting art style. Too WoW, not grimdark enough.

- Mechanicus, an excellent X-Com style game where you play as the Adeptus Mechanicus
- Battlesector, a cool turn-based strategy game about the Blood Angels
- Inquisitor, a solid Diablo-esque ARPG
- Sanctus Reach, a simple but great turn-based strategy game about the Space Wolves
- Gladius, a turn-based 4X strategy game where you can play multiple factions

I'd also mention Chaos Gate because it is mechanically sound but man, it has such a ghastly, offputting art style. Too WoW, not grimdark enough.
Really, I didn't think it was that bad artistically.

The tech priest kind of has a weird personality in this but I sort of like it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Really, I didn't think it was that bad artistically.

The tech priest kind of has a weird personality in this but I sort of like it.

I like the tech priest, the character interactions are really well done.

It's not a bad game per se, not at all. I personally just don't like the visual style. It has a very cartoony vibe, the Nurgles especially. Can't really put my finger on it, perhaps it's too bright, colorful, you know how WoW also has a cartoony vibe. For me it clashes with the tone of what I feel 40k should be: dark, brutal, gritty. Especially when dealing with demons from the Warp, it should be a horrifying experience. It's the only game where I feel the art style doesn't match the game subject.

But that's just my 2 cents. The gameplay itself is excellent and overall it's arguably one of the best 40k games around.

SCB3

Same as R6Rider R6Rider , very excited for it's sequel too.

I'll add Mechanicus. Haven't played it a lot but I should, that atmosphere and soundtrack are something else. Also, the Mechadudes look cool as fuck.
Same for me, Mechanicus was my first proper WH game (I've enjoyed the few I've played of the TW series as well) Space Marine was good but never got around to finishing it

VN1X

Banned
Fuck.

For a second there I read this as "Fortnite Warhammer 40,000 Game" and got excited. Oh well, with the way their licensing goes I don't doubt we'll one day get such a thing. Fingers crossed.

Amiga

Inquisitor - solid Diablo like addictive gameplay with a good story that got me into the WH4K universe.

Got it by chance because it was free on PSNow, it is free as part of PSN+E.

I like the tech priest, the character interactions are really well done.

It's not a bad game per se, not at all. I personally just don't like the visual style. It has a very cartoony vibe, the Nurgles especially. Can't really put my finger on it, perhaps it's too bright, colorful, you know how WoW also has a cartoony vibe. For me it clashes with the tone of what I feel 40k should be: dark, brutal, gritty. Especially when dealing with demons from the Warp, it should be a horrifying experience. It's the only game where I feel the art style doesn't match the game subject.

But that's just my 2 cents. The gameplay itself is excellent and overall it's arguably one of the best 40k games around.
I think that was one of my problems with the Rogue Trader trailer. I'm super excited about the game but what the hell is up with the anime cutscenes? That is way out of place.

SPEEESSS MEHREEEEN!
And Eternal Crusade (😭).
Gladius, modded soulstorm, mechanicus, chaosgate, deathwing, battlesector, space hulk, necromunda

Topher

Gold Member

Yeah, the original Dawn of War was fantastic.

Top Bottom