• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite vampire games?

teezzy

Banned
Thats funny! I have vampire crystals and was playing it like last month. That didn't even pop into my head. Its on ps4. I grabbed it for a couple bucks and it's really fun, I like it alot.

Might have to install that on my Wii when it gets here lol

Vampire_-_The_Masquerade_%E2%80%93_Bloodlines_Coverart.png

Praise be the best Vampire game there is.
This is all about playing as a vampire, it was rpg gold and hasn't been topped since.
I doubt the sequel will do it justice. The first vampire the masquerade was ok, but it wasn't bloodlines.

Followed by:
Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg

The best Castlevania and the only one where you play as a vampire, although Alucard isn't your typical vampire.
(Well technically you play Alucard as a character in Castlevania 3, as well, once you get far enough to get him as a character. )

Followed by:

Blood_Omen_-_Legacy_of_Kain_Coverart.png

This first Blood Omen game was something else for the time, it oozed atmosphere, fun game.

Then this:

Vampyr_cover.jpg

Underrated for sure, I really liked this game.

Then this:
Ravenloft_-_Strahd%27s_Possession_Coverart.png

Ok , i admit I never played this. I stopped playing pc games in the mid 90s for a few years and the last
gold box game I played was Pools of Darkness. Although I have watched some youtubes on this and it looks pretty good. Has any one played it.
I loved Ravenloft back in the 2nd edtion AD&D days.

This one here I did play and it was ok for its time as a wolfenstien /adventure game:
Bram Stoker's Dracula. Although it really doesn't do justice to the book, but i guess how could you on a DOS based shooter.

dracula_screenshot1_large.jpg

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Vampire Hunter D had nothing exceptional, wasn't nearly as good as its RE inspiration but somehow worked out...

How has nobody mentioned the Soul Reaver games yet (if you did with just an image so ctrl+f doesn't work, boo)?

Last edited:

Corgi1985

Banned
VTMB worked because it was just deus ex again. Any future vampire rpgs will be garbage trash because the industry hates games that require player choice where someone might miss some content depending on a decision.

bender

What time is it?
Buffy is great despite the license. Bloodlines, Blood Omen and Soul Reaver are all great choices.
j9yGo4v.jpg

Metro 3d made one of my favorite Dreamcast games Armada. After seeing they made this I bought it because of that alone. Its a diablo clone and I remember liking it even though it got ripped in reviews. I think I remember there is no ending or something.

I remember hating this game and returning it to EBX. It promised like 400 hours of game play. I really want to go back and give it another whirl.

bronk

Banned
Buffy is great despite the license. Bloodlines, Blood Omen and Soul Reaver are all great choices.

I remember hating this game and returning it to EBX. It promised like 400 hours of game play. I really want to go back and give it another whirl.
I think the no ending part is what added to hundreds of hours of gameplay 😂😂😂

This thread made me want to go back and play Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and I could have sworn I had it on Steam. I guess I don't. Must have bought in on the 360 and never picked it up.

edit: K, I DID buy it years ago. I just had it stored in my Steam inventory and hadn't redeemed it. Steam needs to bring back that inventory system, so dumb they got rid of it and I'm happy to discover I must have bought Lords of Shadow on a sale years ago.

Last edited:
This thread made me want to go back and play Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and I could have sworn I had it on Steam. I guess I don't. Must have bought in on the 360 and never picked it up.

edit: K, I DID buy it years ago. I just had it stored in my Steam inventory and hadn't redeemed it. Steam needs to bring back that inventory system, so dumb they got rid of it and I'm happy to discover I must have bought Lords of Shadow on a sale years ago.
Whats steam inventory? Is that seperate from your library? I have been using steam since it's inception and with HL2 and never knew about an inventory page.

Also didn't know lords of shadow had a PC version, thought that was only ps360.

Is lords of shadow any good? I had it but didn't get very far, played an hour or so, and it seemed very much linear and on rails. I was expecting open world exploration in the style of SOTN or at least the ps2 castlevania games but with much better 3d graphics, what it seemed like to me is a more linear god of war and seemed lacking much of the Castlevania style comparied to Iga games.

The closest thing to good 3d castlevania to me is not even castlevania, its games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne.
From software needs to buy or rent the license to Castlevania from Konami (or Konami needs to hire From) to make a 3d castlevania game. If not from than Tecmo/koei with team ninja, as nioh had good whip mechanics and castle atmosphere, either studio could do the game justice, imo. All they need to do is stick to the lore, and implement rpg mechanics and metroidvania abilities to get you further in the castle, environment.

Its sad as Castlevania should be having tons of games made, instead we get what, a port on to the ps4 of SOTN/Rondo, and nothing for other consoles/pc (that should of hit the switch). I don't understand why Konami is afraid of making money with games. Someone sabotage their pachinko machines :messenger_tongue: maybe if the public over there looses faith in those Konami will be forced to make a new Castlevania game ( throw in silent hill and suikoden as well ), :messenger_sad_relieved:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Legacy of Kain, Castlevania.

Patiently waiting for a new game, remake, something.

Whats steam inventory? Is that seperate from your library? I have been using steam since it's inception and with HL2 and never knew about an inventory page.

Also didn't know lords of shadow had a PC version, thought that was only ps360.

Is lords of shadow any good? I had it but didn't get very far, played an hour or so, and it seemed very much linear and on rails. I was expecting open world exploration in the style of SOTN or at least the ps2 castlevania games but with much better 3d graphics, what it seemed like to me is a more linear god of war and seemed lacking much of the Castlevania style comparied to Iga games.

The closest thing to good 3d castlevania to me is not even castlevania, its games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne.
From software needs to buy or rent the license to Castlevania from Konami (or Konami needs to hire From) to make a 3d castlevania game. If not from than Tecmo/koei with team ninja, as nioh had good whip mechanics and castle atmosphere, either studio could do the game justice, imo. All they need to do is stick to the lore, and implement rpg mechanics and metroidvania abilities to get you further in the castle, environment.

Its sad as Castlevania should be having tons of games made, instead we get what, a port on to the ps4 of SOTN/Rondo, and nothing for other consoles/pc (that should of hit the switch). I don't understand why Konami is afraid of making money with games. Someone sabotage their pachinko machines :messenger_tongue: maybe if the public over there looses faith in those Konami will be forced to make a new Castlevania game ( throw in silent hill and suikoden as well ), :messenger_sad_relieved:
Steam used to have a system in place that if you bought a game on Steam as a gift but didn't send it to anyone it would be stored in your inventory. I had a tendency to buy good games that were on sale to give to people at a later date. Steam got rid of it for whatever reason, which just means less games that I'll buy that I already own on a sale.

And as far as Lords of Shadows is concerned, I haven't played it since it's release and don't remember finishing it, but I do remember enjoying it at the time. I'll play it sometime in the next few weeks and see how it's aged.

Last edited:
I still haven't managed to get too into Bloodlines, mainly cause its age shows and I don't prefer mouse and keyboard, so i'll go with Vampyr. Very unique game I love a lot with an interesting twist on the branching choice David Cage-esque system when not only dialogue choice but who you bite plays a factor.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Steam used to have a system in place that if you bought a game on Steam as a gift but didn't send it to anyone it would be stored in your inventory. I had a tendency to buy good games that were on sale to give to people at a later date. Steam got rid of it for whatever reason, which just means less games that I'll buy that I already own on a sale.

And as far as Lords of Shadows is concerned, I haven't played it since it's release and don't remember finishing it, but I do remember enjoying it at the time. I'll play it sometime in the next few weeks and see how it's aged.
I don't remember the details, but I think they got rid of it because people started to exploit the system on large scale for the grey market.
Also, I vaguely remember something about scammers baiting people into trades with the lure of free games or something...

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I read up on this when it hit Gamepass and it does sound worth playing. Will download.
It seems like a steep intro. Its got tons of complex info. Literally like Risk mixed with Fire Emblem mixed with a Card game.

If you stick with it long enough to get used to it, it's a pleasant surprise. Slow and cumbersome but honestly pretty neat. Cool artwork and cool lore for the world. Im into it!

Gp1

Just 4 or 5 connoisseur here. You guys disappoints me.
There is only one answer.

ps. Okay, SOTN and maybe Kain is acceptable for the console people. But not even close to Bloodlines

Tschumi

Pretty much the last one i remember playing was Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 1 or 2 in the PS2 or GCN... I enjoyed it, but found it janky despite my young age

Rickyiez

Love Blood Omen 2 eventho it's janky and received poorly . It's a very atmospheric game .

Last edited:

Doczu

Does anyone remember the name of an horror-comedy game where the main characters were trapped in a film or documentary? I think it started in a cemetery with the camera team, something like that. Not sure if it was a vampire game, but probably. It kinda looked like Shadowman (but with much better graphics).
You're talking either about

ILLBLEED (Dreamcast)

or

The Devil Inside (PC)

Not strictly vampire games, but both are fun

Dazraell

Here are few potential recommendations from me:
Vampyr
Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines
Vampire the Masquarade: Coteries of New York and its standalone expansion Shadows of New York
A Vampyre Story

Anyone who doesn't have Vampire 2: Bloodlines in his answer has never done a Malkavian playthrough, and is as such objectively wrong.

Agent X

Several of my favorites have already been mentioned in this thread, so I'll contribute one that hasn't been discussed yet:

Dracula: The Undead for the Atari Lynx

cc1squZ.jpg

This was a graphic adventure that was developed by Hand Made Software and released by Atari in 1992. The graphic adventure genre was popular on computers during that time, but was rarely encountered on home video game consoles, and almost unheard of on portable video game systems.

CkCyd7o.png
0R9Bl72.png
kB8MpDg.png

Ao834dO.png
g8cIANw.png
BG7j01d.png

The game is not very long, and was designed to be completed in one sitting. Lynx games at that time did not use onboard saves (such as battery backup), but this game didn't even have a password system. Once you knew what you were supposed to do, and what decisions to make to succeed in your adventure, it could be completed from beginning to end in about 2 to 3 hours. This usually required several retries by the player before gaining knowledge of how to proceed through the adventure without failure.

You can read Robert Jung's review on IGN.

In 2019, Songbird Productions acquired the rights to this game, along with most other Lynx and Jaguar games developed by Hand Made Software. See this press release for more information.

Although Songbird has not (yet) re-released the Lynx cartridge, they have recently licensed the game to Blaze Entertainment for inclusion on the Atari Lynx Collection 1 cartridge for Evercade. This is the first time the game has officially appeared on another system outside of the original Lynx release.

Top Bottom