• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite game devs that faded from relevance

DonJorginho

Banned
The God, Mr Toyama.

kx93hnuuDAg.jpg

DJT123

Ion_storm_logo.jpg

Ion Storm Austin made

DeusExCover.png

The greatest, or at least, most important videogame ever

maxresdefault.jpg

With Eidos's money.

The PC platform or the immersive sim genre wasn't profitable enough, so they promptly sold out with a console oriented sequel, and later folded entirely.

supernova8

Banned
Evolution Studios!

Driveclub is still the best looking (and best to play) racing game I've played for a long time.

I mean look at those visuals. They're better than GT7 and Forza. Apparently a lot of the staff ended up at Codemasters but look at Dirt 5. Looks boring as fuckkkkkkk. Imagine if they'd been properly absorbed into Polyphony Digital. What a racing game powerhouse.

Hostile_18

Banned
Shinji Mikami
Hironobu Sakaguchi
Fumito Ueda

They all made some of my favorite games and was among the most innovative devs during the 90s and early 2000.

Evil Within 1 and 2! 😁

For me theres one big one and it's strange because they never had failures like Rare and Bioware etc. They just got consumed by the Call of Duty machine;

xcdbor5.png

Last edited:

GymWolf

Shinji mikami is not active like it was years ago and kojima last masterpiece was mgs3\zoe2.

Peter molyneux is still listing all the incredible (and fake) features in fable 1 most probably.

Tschumi

I dunno developers themselves, but i wanna mention Big Huge Games, they're still around i think, but haven't seemed to do much that was unanimously considered good since their fantastic debut, Rise of Nations

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
George Kamitani (Vanillaware)
Keiichiro Toyama (Siren Team)
Fumito Ueda (Team ICO)
The reason I chose him even tho we just got 13 Sentinels, because I can barley get anyone talk about this game. i can make thread about Anthem which is most people don’t like but it will be more popular than if I made a thread about 13 Sentinels.

It’s kind of depressing.

Danjin44

I'm referring to Kamitani himself being put on a leash after his spat with Schreier .
On Twitter or something?

Edit: I’m guessing it’s about his artstyle in games?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The two Johns.

They are kind of fading.

Though the legacy of what they built lives on but neither are working on a new Doom or Quake.
We had Sigil at least! Pretty cool wad if you ask me. :)
Evil Within 1 and 2! 😁

For me theres one big one and it's strange because they never had failures like Rare and Bioware etc. They just got consumed by the Call of Duty machine;

xcdbor5.png
Singularity was kinda shitty... But yeah, I miss games like Heretic and Jedi Outcast, those dudes knew their drill when it came to shooters.

lvl8

On Twitter or something?

- Schreier wrote an article calling the designer(Kamitani) of Dragon's Crown a 14-year-old boy
- Kamitani on twitter responded with art of 3 naked male dwarfs, implying Schreier is gay
- Kamitani apologies quickly(likely got told to stfu)
- Schreier smugly wrote another article moralizing about "sexy video game characters"
- Kamitani fell off the radar

Danjin44

- Schreier wrote an article calling the designer(Kamitani) of Dragon's Crown a 14-year-old boy
- Kamitani on twitter responded with art of 3 naked male dwarfs, implying Schreier is gay
- Kamitani apologies quickly(likely got told to stfu)
- Schreier smugly wrote another article moralizing about "sexy video game characters"
- Kamitani fell off the radar
This all about western gaming culture idiotic double standard.

It’s okay for games like TLOU2 which shows people humping each other but I guess Kamitani’s sexy designs suddenly too much?

Mr Hyde

Evil Within 1 and 2!

The Evil Within was very good, but still a far cry from his prime when he made Resident Evil. It's nothing groundbreaking like RE4.

The Evil Within 2 was not made by Mikami, he only served as supervisor and executive producer. The game was directed by John Johanas, who also did the DLC-expansions for the first game.

Hudo

Bruce Shelley
Brian Reynolds
Hiroyuki Itou
Yasumi Matsuno
Yoshitaka Murayama (I am so happy that he had such a successful Kickstarter)
Makto Shibata
Brett W. Sperry
Louis Castle
Ed Castillo
Volker Wertich
Warren Spector (to a degree)

RARE..... I know I know... "Sea of Thieves". Considering the fact they were the Naughty Dogs in terms of stature of the SNES/N64 Era....yeah, that's a big drop in relevance.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Not an individual so much as a group but Rare should be in any conversation involving a developers fall from grace. From god tier to trash tier.

borborygmus

I really miss Quintet, but there was simply no way they'd survive the changing landscape of gaming. I wish they turned ActRaiser into a franchise and explored more lucrative genres (without selling out of course).

Ikumi nakamura - i mean shes still active, but there was massive hype over her being mikamis successor and then she went radio silent and left tango gameworks. I think shes still in the industry but she hasnt lived up to being the next big director

Sierra
Working designs

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Imageepoch
Akinori Nishiyama
AKI Corporation
Camelot Co.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Valve and Visceral are who I miss most :lollipop_confounded:
We haven't had a real BioWare game in ages either.

Human Head Studios totally got fucked by Bethesda during Prey 2's development, and they were never able to recover and develop another AAA game. But now they're back--as a Bethesda-owned team, Roundhouse Studios--so it looks like these boys are on their way back up.

GreyHorace

Bioware - Should have been kings of the rpg genre well into this generation. Instead they became just a soulless cog in the infernal machine that is EA. It's a good thing we have CDProjektRed and Larian Studios filling the void that was left by this once great rpg developer.

Tomonobu Itagaki - Former head of Team Ninja and creator of the Dead or Alive series. He also created probably one of my favorite action games of all time, Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox. Haven't played any of his recent work but I get the impression it wasn't well received. Dude needs a new project to wow us gamers.

Top Bottom