• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame 5: Maiden of Black Water English Gameplay Videos surfacing

NateDrake

Will you be able to say anything about the extra costumes being altered before or in the review?

Costumes can be discussed in review coverage.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'll have 10-12mins of additional footage coming in the next few days. We are limited to just 30mins right now.

artsi

Many fans? Fatal Frame is a niche within a niche within a niche. It was selling so horribly that Tecmo Koei now makes new installments only if some other publisher pays for it. It's a real shame too, because it's the only horror series that feels truly japanese.

Siren series?

It's been a while since Blood Curse, but I'm hoping for a sequel after Gravity Rush 2.

Just got 100% confirmed: Game has dual-audio, and the game may not be censored, the slots for the Bikini costumes to be unlocked are in the English version. Someone uploaded a video and showed the game had dual-audio in the English version, and the slots either mean the costumes or still in or they've been replaced, but not taken out is definitely confirmed.

Dual audio? That's great. I do like me some Project Zero, so I might have to look into getting a Wii U during the Black Friday sales this year if this game turns out well. There's no physical release though right? Unless you get in on the limited run, but I've missed the boat on that it seems. Hate the fact that it's digital only otherwise.

NateDrake

Dual audio? That's great. I do like me some Project Zero, so I might have to look into getting a Wii U during the Black Friday sales this year if this game turns out well. There's no physical release though right? Unless you get in on the limited run, but I've missed the boat on that it seems. Hate the fact that it's digital only otherwise.

Digital-only in US. EU has a physical limited-edition.

Looks pretty spooky, but you know what's weird is that in 2015 games still open with "Use R stick to look around." So camera movement kind of like every 3D game released in the last 15 years then, gotcha.

Do love that it's dual audio too!

Edit: Or I guess maybe the prompt box to look around is just there so the player knows the gameplay is starting, I dunno.

I'm just excited that it's finally coming to the states. It's been a while since the series has been here.

I do have a question though. Do we have to move the Wii pad to use the camera or can we just use the thumb sticks to look around? If not, it's not a big deal. I'm too fucking lazy to use my arms to look around lol.

That would just be way too much exercise for a video game and I want to enjoy this game with maximum slothness.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I was lucky enough to pre-order the limited edition <3 Can't wait! nearly imported a wii u because of this game

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm actually going to be really interested with how everyone figures out how to beat the final boss.

NateDrake

I'm just excited that it's finally coming to the states. It's been a while since the series has been here.

I do have a question though. Do we have to move the Wii pad to use the camera or can we just use the thumb sticks to look around? If not, it's not a big deal. I'm too fucking lazy to use my arms to look around lol.

That would just be way too much exercise for a video game and I want to enjoy this game with maximum slothness.

Camera movement - as in up/down/side to side - can be done with the sticks or motion control - you can disable motion from the menu. If you want to capture a photo in portrait or change the viewing angle - as you see in the videos, then you have to tilt the GamePad. Very minor movements.

Camera movement - as in up/down/side to side - can be done with the sticks or motion control. If you want to capture a photo in portrait or change the viewing angle, then you have to tilt the GamePad. Very minor movements.

Awesome! I'm completely cool with that. Thanks for the response!

-shadow-

I don't want to see the videos because I want to go into the game unknowingly, but is the English dub British or American?

I don't want to see the videos because I want to go into the game unknowingly, but is the English dub British or American?

From what I heard it's exactly what you would expect from an American dub of a niche Japanese game by a major publisher. It's clearly budget material, but not awful.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It's even more insulting when a game such as Devil's Third [a game that's pretty universally panned as being a bad game] is getting a physical release and Fatal Frame 5, an installment in an established franchise with many fans, isn't. :(

Fans raged hard about Devils Third for some reason (and now they have to put their money where their mouth was and buy that mediocre game, otherwise NoA will ignore similar protests in future.)

Be careful what you wish for, in other words.

I'm actually going to be really interested with how everyone figures out how to beat the final boss.

Wikia, GameFAQs, Youtube

I actually watched a youtuber play the whole thing last month, she also went for a 100% run

The chaptered make-up of the game makes it a ton less painful.

ah true

I am low on cash this month since I spent my budget on art supplies, I hope I don't end up totally skipping this game
I don't even have mario maker yet

sheesh

if they censored it I'll skip to save cash

Grisby

Aahhhh dammit. Watching some more of the videos and every time you snap a pic the camera's flash does the white screen thing. Yes, I understand that a camera does flash, but I wish it was a little less visually intrusive.

Maybe it's not so bad when you're actually playing the game (I get migraine triggers from all white stuff).

Aahhhh dammit. Watching some more of the videos and every time you snap a pic the camera's flash does the white screen thing. Yes, I understand that a camera does flash, but I wish it was a little less visually intrusive.

Maybe it's not so bad when you're actually playing the game (I get migraine triggers from all white stuff).

don't you have to be watching the gamepad at that time to shoot the ghost?

-shadow-

Well NoA is localizing it, so why wouldn't they be using American VAs?
I was hoping it would've been done by NOE as the Wiimake was. I really enjoyed the voices in that game. I personally find British voice acting to be much better suited for these kinds of games. I can't quite put my finger on why though.

Kouriozan

I'm playing this right now for the GameXplain review and I have to say, after a worryingly slow start I'm quite enjoying it so far. The GamePad usage is great and the game is very good at establishing an unsettling, disturbing atmosphere that pervades the whole experience and leaves you constantly feeling uneasy. I do have some issues with the game, but I'm still in the early chapters and if what I've played so far is indicative of the whole experience, I'm pretty confident that Fatal Frame fans will be quite happy with this. I hope that remains the case throughout the rest of the game!

Sounds good, and yeah, the atmosphere is really what makes those game scary.
I'll never forget 2 Wiimake in that regard, I had to summon up my courage to finish it, at some point after mid-game I was so scared I could barely walk in that village :lol

Umibozu

Guess I will finally have to use my external harddrive for this.

I just wanted to comment on this. Americans have accents. Everyone has an accent.
Canadian here. I think there is a state where they don't give off any discernible accent. It was in a program I watched years ago. It was a north eastern state like new hampshire? The were even dialect coaches who said it was the best one to learn because it didn't give any way to tell where one is from. It was almost mechanical, but I'm getting off topic.

Can't wait for this game. Just bummed PS4 doesn't have PS2 classics or I would be playing the in preparation.

I'm guessing costumes only able to be talked about in review means they've been altered. When is the review embargo?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Isn't it physical in Europe though...?

Its a physical limited edition, as in, once they run out of stock, thats it, which also means, everybody who wanted the game, aleast physically cant get it, people would be out of luck regardless.

I hope these folks bring this out as a physical release. Would be hype.
Sadly, Limited Run Games has commented that Nintendo and Microsoft have too many restrictions in place to allow smaller pressings on their consoles at this time. Unless some policies shift in the coming months, we probably won't be seeing anything else from them outside of a Sony platform as much as I'd kill for a retail release in North America.

By the way, does anyone know where the PAL limited edition can be purchased for consumers outside Europe?

Jimrpg

Does anyone know how much the Australian eshop version is? Been trying to find out since like forever. I doubt there will be very much difference as they probably want everyone to spend $100 on the physical.

Guess I will finally have to use my external harddrive for this.

Canadian here. I think there is a state where they don't give off any discernible accent. It was in a program I watched years ago. It was a north eastern state like new hampshire? The were even dialect coaches who said it was the best one to learn because it didn't give any way to tell where one is from. It was almost mechanical, but I'm getting off topic.

It's actually Omaha, Nebraska. They have an accent that "can't be placed." Definitely a topic of discussion in linguistics.

But it doesn't mean they don't have an accent, though. Just that it can't be placed. And it's far from saying Americans as a whole don't have an accent.

I'm so annoyed this is eShop only in the US, but I'm happy that we're at least getting a localization. I can't wait to play this in a few weeks; looks amazing, just like the other games in the series.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Reviewing the game, I am enjoying it a lot. Great Gamepad use, good graphics, solid atmosphere

So happy it is coming, after the struggles I had to face to play 4th. ..

leroidys

This game is looking really great. Wii U is actually going to keep me busy this winter, even without Starfox and Zelda.

Another Canadian here. After I started working for a company that deals with a lot of American clientele, I was surprised to learn that the vast majority of Americans don't sound anything like they do in movies and TV shows. I think that "neutral" accent is something that either sought for on air personality or coached, but most Americans I've interacted with do have at least a hint of what would sound to our ears like that classic southern drawl, even those in northern states.

You tend not to hear your own accent though. I'm rural prairie Canadian and I definitely have an accent that I'm aware of. Try to hide it when I'm in a work setting though. Nobody wants to hear my hick voice. :p

Edit: And currently working my way through The Wire (amazing show) and I pretty much had to learn the Baltimore accent because it was something I had never heard before. Some of the black actors may as well have been speaking a different language. I've caught on now though and it's quite interesting! Regional dialects are fun.

Shin-chan

The UK limited edition is £50 at Game, which isn't too bad considering what you get (I probably paid more for less with Bloodborne). Im not sure it will go out of stock any time soon because there's only like 4 Wii U owners in the UK anyway.

Just got 100% confirmed: Game has dual-audio, and the game may not be censored, the slots for the Bikini costumes to be unlocked are in the English version. Someone uploaded a video and showed the game had dual-audio in the English version, and the slots either mean the costumes or still in or they've been replaced, but not taken out is definitely confirmed.

Interesting that you mention costume slots as two Nintendo themed costumes appear to be exclusive to the western release.

Edit: Link.

Top Bottom