• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame 5 ESRB Rating Suggests Fan-Service Will Remain Intact

bender

What time is it?
They have very Japanese reactions, not overly exaggerated stuff you often see in Western games. I personally really liked this. This is not a game yelling at you what you should think or feel every minute

Style difference are fine and no one is expecting overreactions. That, however, doesn't excuse no reactions. The opening bathtub scene is a good example.

fart town usa

Gold Member
wtf do you actually do in this game
You play as 3 different characters and explore a haunted forest/village/mountain.

The game is set up into chapters and it generally goes something like this: You check out an area as a character, find a clue or are forced to leave cause shit is getting too intense and then head back to a friends antique shop for the night. You see the story play out with each character, they are all affected in someway from the mountain.

You explore areas and find items and documents in 3rd person. Not too many puzzles. Combat is first person cause you're looking through the camera view finder. You take pictures of ghosts to damage them. The combat system is pretty great, you can lock on but each ghost has a type of pattern and you want to allow them to get close as possible to you. If you snap of photo of them right before an attack you get a "fatal frame" and the game goes into slow-mo and you can snap a lot of photos for MAXIMUM DAMAGE. There's different types of film, weaker ones load faster, stronger ones load slower, lens upgrades and whatnot can be found too. There's also a Dead Space type system in which traces of characters can appear and show you the direction you should be heading. It's pretty linear but there are places to explore for items/upgrades. One of the best features is the point system, you gain points for how effective you are at defeating ghosts and those points get you a rank at the end of the chapter. Those points can then be used to buy film, health items, or upgrade elements on your camera.

It's a horror adventure game, I wouldn't consider it survival horror mainly because it's kind of easy on Normal and inventory management isn't a thing. The game is fun though, it's almost like you're exploring a haunted amusement park with the various "attractions" you explore, sometimes more than once. It also has some neat moments where the Maiden of Black Water appears and all you can do is run from her. If she touches you it's insta-kill but the game respawns you right at her appearance so it's not like you're constantly repeating areas. The encounters are effective too cause they aren't constant. I think I've come across her twice so far. I haven't finished the game but I'm near the end. First time playthrough will probably be 8-10 hours. Maybe more. It's not a short game and there's plenty of replay value cause of unlockables.

It's a solid game if $40 is something you can spare. You won't be blown away by it but it's also not a shitty game by any means. The overly negative reviews are really unnecessary. This game shouldn't be getting less than a 7 from outlets IMO.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

You play as 3 different characters and explore a haunted forest/village/mountain.

The game is set up into chapters and it generally goes something like this: You check out an area as a character, find a clue or are forced to leave cause shit is getting too intense and then head back to a friends antique shop for the night. You see the story play out with each character, they are all affected in someway from the mountain.

You explore areas and find items and documents in 3rd person. Not too many puzzles. Combat is first person cause you're looking through the camera view finder. You take pictures of ghosts to damage them. The combat system is pretty great, you can lock on but each ghost has a type of pattern and you want to allow them to get close as possible to you. If you snap of photo of them right before an attack you get a "fatal frame" and the game goes into slow-mo and you can snap a lot of photos for MAXIMUM DAMAGE. There's different types of film, weaker ones load faster, stronger ones load slower, lens upgrades and whatnot can be found too. There's also a Dead Space type system in which traces of characters can appear and show you the direction you should be heading. It's pretty linear but there are places to explore for items/upgrades. One of the best features is the point system, you gain points for how effective you are at defeating ghosts and those points get you a rank at the end of the chapter. Those points can then be used to buy film, health items, or upgrade elements on your camera.

It's a horror adventure game, I wouldn't consider it survival horror mainly because it's kind of easy on Normal and inventory management isn't a thing. The game is fun though, it's almost like you're exploring a haunted amusement park with the various "attractions" you explore, sometimes more than once. It also has some neat moments where the Maiden of Black Water appears and all you can do is run from her. If she touches you it's insta-kill but the game respawns you right at her appearance so it's not like you're constantly repeating areas. The encounters are effective too cause they aren't constant. I think I've come across her twice so far. I haven't finished the game but I'm near the end. First time playthrough will probably be 8-10 hours. Maybe more. It's not a short game and there's plenty of replay value cause of unlockables.

It's a solid game if $40 is something you can spare. You won't be blown away by it but it's also not a shitty game by any means. The overly negative reviews are really unnecessary. This game shouldn't be getting less than a 7 from outlets IMO.
Sounds good,need more horror games to test out the OLED anyway

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Apparantly the game is broken on PC atm if you have a screen set at higher than 60hz, so if you were planning on picking up the steam version, you'd best wait for the upcoming patch.

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah, if you like spooky j-horror on any level you will probably enjoy this. Glad I copped for Halloween.
I loved the original 3 (2 especially), haven't played 4 or 5 but I just keep hovering over that buy button. The mixed impressions have me a bit leery and I worry it's not going to have the creep factor the older ones did.

Wish we could have got a remaster of those 1st 3.

Kacho

Gold Member
I loved the original 3 (2 especially), haven't played 4 or 5 but I just keep hovering over that buy button. The mixed impressions have me a bit leery and I worry it's not going to have the creep factor the older ones did.

Wish we could have got a remaster of those 1st 3.
This has good atmosphere but it's definitely not as scary as Fatal Frame 1 or 2. Those games were in a league of their own. The combat is good fun though. Easily the best in the series IMO.

I wouldn't overthink it. If you're interested just grab it. You will enjoy it for what it is.

fart town usa

Gold Member
This has good atmosphere but it's definitely not as scary as Fatal Frame 1 or 2. Those games were in a league of their own. The combat is good fun though. Easily the best in the series IMO.

I wouldn't overthink it. If you're interested just grab it. You will enjoy it for what it is.

Yea, FF1 is one of the scariest games I've ever played. Hard to play it now though cause the controls are just absolutely fucked, lol.

Kagey K

Banned
Yea, FF1 is one of the scariest games I've ever played. Hard to play it now though cause the controls are just absolutely fucked, lol.
For me it was 2<<<1<<<<<<<<<<3.

I still walk around going ”my eyes, myyyy eyyyeeessss.” in a creepy girl ghost voice.

Absolutely among the scariest games I’ve played, and not in a cheap jump scare way. Setting up the atmoshpere, and the hidden ghosts you uncover was way more creepy than a lot of the jump scare infused horror games of today. (Not that I don’t mind a good jump scare now and then)

Pejo

For me it was 2<<<1<<<<<<<<<<3.

I still walk around going ”my eyes, myyyy eyyyeeessss.” in a creepy girl ghost voice.

Absolutely among the scariest games I’ve played, and not in a cheap jump scare way. Setting up the atmoshpere, and the hidden ghosts you uncover was way more creepy than a lot of the jump scare infused horror games of today. (Not that I don’t mind a good jump scare now and then)
Yea 2 was fantastic. Probably the scariest game on PS2.

Kacho

Gold Member
Are games capable of being scary anymore? I feel unsettled at times playing this, but never scared. Not sure if it’s just because I’m older. I wonder if FF2 is as scary as I remember. Dead Space sure as shit wasn’t when I replayed that.

Really really enjoying this though. fart town usa fart town usa is right about it feeling like an adventure game. It’s like those modern horror walking sims, only way more engaging and with a dope combat system. The menus and upgrades are giving me classic PS2 vibes.

Playing on Series X btw. I think it looks good for a dolled up Wii U game.

dn0ksme.png

ZpLDRFi.png

Pejo

Not sure if anyone is still following this, but modders have successfully restored Yuri's original swimsuit to the PC version of the game. Currently working on Miu's. Look it up on Loverslab if you're interested.

*edit*

Just tested it out myself. Looks great at 4k despite being the from the JP WiiU version.

GKZQwDQ.jpg

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I have completed the game all 4 endings on Series X. It was fantastic. Already had the game on Wii U, but in the end, it is much more playable with a standard controller. And of course the clean graphics and 60fps make for a huge improvement.

TastyPastry

Not sure if anyone is still following this, but modders have successfully restored Yuri's original swimsuit to the PC version of the game. Currently working on Miu's. Look it up on Loverslab if you're interested.

*edit*

Just tested it out myself. Looks great at 4k despite being the from the JP WiiU version.

GKZQwDQ.jpg

do you have the replace one of the other outfits for the mod to work?

Top Bottom