• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame 5 ESRB Rating Suggests Fan-Service Will Remain Intact

Sakura

Yeah pretty sure it will be censored. Even the western version of the Wii U title was censored, doubt 2021 Sony et al would allow the lewd costumes.

edit: Yeah over in this famitsu article
it says ※本作には、Wii U 版の夕莉「水着」・深羽「グラビア水着」は含まれておりません。
Yuuri's swimsuit and Miu's gravure swimsuit from the Wii U version aren't included in this version.

Last edited:

zokie

1 more month to go

NCL is very kind to include a URL to the remaster page

FATAL FRAME: Maiden of Black Water TGS Special Program
20:40~21:20 JST
■Guests
・Watari 119 (Comedian)
· Keisuke Kikuchi (Producer, FATAL FRAME: Maiden of Black Water)

TGS Special Program for FFMOBW in 3 days

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I don't want to be the downer here, but I think that the original fanservice costumes that the JP version had have been removed/replaced with the other new costumes. There's nothing I can find to explicitly mention that they're gone or in, so I guess we won't know until the 27th, or at least early previews.

Here's an article explaining the new costumes.

wEJCt66.jpg
vQOQtPZ.jpg

If these don't satisfy you then I don't know what to tell you.

Pejo

wEJCt66.jpg
vQOQtPZ.jpg

Well taste is subjective, I'm just saying that the original costumes are likely not in (by default). Modders on Cemu have been playing the NA version with the modded in original costumes for a while now, I assume it'll be very quick to bring them back on the PC version, texture quality is the question mark.

Reactions: Isa

Senhua

wEJCt66.jpg
vQOQtPZ.jpg

Honestly I don't give much shit about this, but the length they feel need to remove the original bikinis "no matter how revealing that was compared to the new one" is a bit strange.

So same as TMS#FE, this is no buy for me - as I would rather play Japanese original in my WII U and if this provide significant graphical upgrades maybe I will try buy used in the future.

fart town usa

Gold Member
If you want the bikini's, power to you.

Me personally, I felt the stock outfits in this game were incredibly distracting, not because they're skimpy, but because they just don't match the atmosphere in the game. The game is fun, it's totally worth playing but it just seems so ridiculous to see the characters running around the woods in tiny skirts, blouses, high heels, etc. The first chapter maybe, cause they don't know what they're in for, but all subsequent chapters could have had a more appropriate outfit.

That's just me though.

I'm really stoked that this game is getting a wide release, get ready for reviewers to trash it though. Please keep in mind that this game plays like a PS2 title but what's wrong with that? It's got great atmosphere and solid gameplay. Don't believe the haters, if you like these types of games, get it Day 1.

Last edited:
Yeah pretty sure it will be censored. Even the western version of the Wii U title was censored, doubt 2021 Sony et al would allow the lewd costumes.

edit: Yeah over in this famitsu article
it says ※本作には、Wii U 版の夕莉「水着」・深羽「グラビア水着」は含まれておりません。
Yuuri's swimsuit and Miu's gravure swimsuit from the Wii U version aren't included in this version.
I'll pass then.

Already own the game on Wii U, with a superior controller. Don't want to support censorship a 2nd time.

Last edited:

zokie

zokie

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water featured unique gyroscope mechanics, outside of the possibility of this feature returning to the Nintendo Switch (and Nintendo Switch Lite), will this be emulated on other consoles and PC?

Kikuchi:
Yes, you can play using the Camera Obscura’s POV with the Switch’s portable mode. You can also tilt the Camera Obscura by tilting a controller that supports gyroscope on Switch, PS5 and PS4.

killatopak

Gold Member
Boo. No collection.

Nintendo owners can’t play every title and Sony owners can’t either. A collection would solve that problem.

Pejo

Oh only a few days left. Really excited for a fresh playthrough of this for the Halloween season.

killatopak

Gold Member
Quick question since I can’t find a pre order for a store near me.

Is this version of the game only available digitally?

Last edited:

zokie

Steam Link

last few hours to get your preorder bonus ( digital )

1.png

PRE-ORDER BONUS
- Yuri/Miu/Ren Exclusive Costume: Camera Obscura Hat & Yuri/Miu Exclusive Costume: Witch's Hat
It is possible it will be sold separately at a later date.

Last edited:

zokie

Confession :

i had to choose between this game or Animal Crossing DLC because i got limited funds and need to cut down on spending

it seems that i rarely touch "happy home designer' on 3DS when i bought it and FF:MOBW has more replay value for me and personally i love Kotec's female designs

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Reviews are out.

Saw two 5/10, one 7.5/10 and one 9/10.

To be expected. Hopefully newcomers aren't turned away by the more negative reviews.

Sounds like the graphic differences are similar to Zombi U/Zombi. Something like a filter placed on the visuals to make them pop more. Still interested though, will watch some PS4 footage to see what it's like.

My biggest complaint with the Wii U game is that reaching for an item causes the framerate to stutter, it's really choppy and when a ghost reaches out, it's not very effective cause the game isn't responsive enough. If that feature is fixed I'd definitely buy it again on PS4.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
The common complaint that the protagonists have no character is a pretty big buzz kill. I'll probably wait for a deep discount.
That's a weird complaint. I mean they act pretty stoic which seems par for the course with Japanese centric titles but the story is actually really good and engaging. It unfolds in a cool way too.

I only skimmed the reviews but figured people would be complaining about the sluggish controls.

bender

What time is it?
That's a weird complaint. I mean they act pretty stoic which seems par for the course with Japanese centric titles but the story is actually really good and engaging. It unfolds in a cool way too.

I only skimmed the reviews but figured people would be complaining about the sluggish controls.

Controls are a pretty big complaint (Switch framerate too). Reviews are pretty mixed on the story. Most everyone says the main characters are emotionless/lifeless which might explain why some people don't like the story? Another common complaint is that it is repetitive, outwears its' welcome at the halfway point and in general, isn't scary. I've watched a ton of reviews (both new and old). I still want to try it but with Dusk and Voice of Cards unlocking tonight, I don't need it out of the gate.

Deerock71

For the love of God, I have an Asian import rolling in, and it better not have been compromised by Karenflakes.

killatopak

Gold Member
My controller gyro may be fucked so I’m about to order a new one.

Reverting to classic controls for now. I can’t seem to get a portrait orientation this way though.

zokie

Her boobs jiggle for like 3 seconds after she stops movie hahaha.
i am playing the switch version ( taiwan version ) and she jiggles a lot wearing the new costume ,LOL
i can't post this on that Reset forum as some people will 'make alot of noise'

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
I know this is a Wii U game but couldn’t they have improved some stuff graphically at least? Some textures are still low res and the reflections on a mirror are super low res with visible jaggies.

I’m playing this on a PS4 Pro. I don’t think the Switch version will be better. I might have to finish this on PC.

MayauMiao

i am playing the switch version ( taiwan version ) and she jiggles a lot wearing the new costume ,LOL
i can't post this on that Reset forum as some people will 'make alot of noise'

You should post it, make them squeal and let them get rid of your account.
Being a Ree is just not worth it

Looks good. Thinking of importing this just to have the physical copy, but I don’t think I get any of the collector’s editions bonuses, do I? Unless, they have a special collector’s edition I don’t know about or something.

Last edited:

zokie

Thank you for purchasing "PROJECT ZERO / FATAL FRAME: Maiden of Black Water".
We would like to inform you of the upcoming updates that are currently planned.

1: Synchronization issues when using a high-spec monitor

We are planning to release a patch in the coming days that will stabilize the frame rate during the game according to your monitor's performance.

2: Mouse control for the camera

We are planning to release a patch that adds the ability to link the camera controls to the mouse. This patch will be released in November.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
No one doing a OT for this?
Lol, not here. Game is too weeby.

Saw that they’re patching in mouse support and fixing the framerate for high refresh monitors, or “high spec monitors” according to Koei Tecmo. Game has mixed reviews because of these issues atm.

Vaelka

I'm def not one of those SJW subhuma/pro censorship and cie, but i'm not a big fan of those kind of fan service tbh, rather have a cool sexy outfit but that fits the tone the game, those kind of generic lingerie, specially in a game like this it's really weird. But whatever, it's cool that the morons cencor people at Sony didn't censor it so people who were looking for it will have it.
Well you're not being forced to use them.
The way I look at them they're meant as a fun thing after you've beaten the game already they're not meant to be serious.
I do agree with you tho that they're kinda boring.

Altho I think they could be good if for example in RE2/ 3 they added a survival mode and one of the stages was a beach stage that was meant as a joke and they had swimwear skins.
Basically, after RE2/ 3 the characters went on vacation but the Zombies followed them sorta build it into it like that.
Swimwear skins make sense imo as a way for both fanservice and for summer events but I think you could build them into the game in a fun way too that isn't just '' here have som swimsuits '' even if I don't have a problem with it.

Onechanbara references would kinda make sense too for those kinds of costumes in RE and at least the bikinis in those games aren't only a joke but also actually has some other stuff going on too like the cowboy hat and boots and fur.
And it'd be a fun reference to a less serious Zombie game too.

Vaelka

When and why did having cartoon characters in skimpy clothing start being called "fan service"?

No idea, I do think that the term makes sense but I think it's dumb that it only tends to be applied to female characters showing skin or having large breasts.
The gore in MK11 is fanservice too, and so is games that rely heavily on appealing to people who are into mechs.
Big explosions and just overall '' fuck yeah, look at how badass I am '' scenes in movies and games are also fanservice.
If you add historical medieval armor to a game to please and pander to an audience who are into that then that's also fanservice.

The definition of it is '' material in a work of fiction or in a fictional series which is intentionally added to please the audience ''.
Fanservice that appeals to violence is by far overwhelmingly more common than sexual fanservice but people really tend to obsess a lot about sex and notice it more.

I think that it can be negative in some cases for example in Game of Thrones later seasons there were a lot of '' yaas qwueen slay '' fanservice moments that I thought were really obnoxious, like female characters talking shit about men and then the camera awkwardly making sure to get a close-up on all of the women in the room smirking and nodding to each other.
Or uh, the Mormont kid's entire character after the first scene she was in she just made no sense especially the other nobles putting up with her.
But usually I think it's a good thing.

If the default costume in the story in this game for example was a bikini I think it wouldn't fit and would be '' bad fanservice '', but since it's an optional added costume I see it as a positive.
Same with 2B's design in Nier Automata, her design appeals to a lot of different types of fanservice and fits the setting people love it for a lot of different reasons.
But if in the entire game the camera in every cutscene was just doing a slow-mo to catch her under the dress and drawing attention to it constantly then I'd find it to be negative fanservice where too much attention was intentionally drawn to it.
I actually find the gore in MK11 to be negative fanservice too, I think it comes across as really immature and I don't like how repetitive it is and how it takes control away to watch cutscenes constantly.
But that one is more subjective, in a more objective sense I'd say it's positive fanservice because that's the target audience.

Top Bottom