• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 6 - Official Review Thread

Yep. I went to kick up the difficulty a notch but there doesn't seem to be a Hard mode? I've been messing around with lower level weapons just to mix things up a bit.
Only difficulty you can ramp up as far as I know is the special ops missions from Lola. But then again they are designed for co-op so you'll have a hard time.

I tried one of the harder special ops missions solo and It's not impossible to get to the extraction point. It's surviving the wave of enemies at the extraction point that's the hard part. They bombard you with grenades, RPG's and mortars. You really can't stay in one spot. I must've killed a dozen RPG npc's in that mission before I gave up.

This is what is putting me off buying it. I had the same issue in FC5, by 1/3rd of the game I felt like I had powerful enough weapons for the rest of the game so it got very repetitive. No newer weapons were good enough for me to replace what I had.
Yep. I don't even think I'm halfway through the main story yet and already nothing can replace my current loadout. Not even the unique weapons dotted around the game world.

Also these clothing gear pieces you unlock just don't make any sense.
If the Parkour set gives you speed/stamina perks then why not give an additional +5% stamina or sprint boost as a set bonus if you equip the whole set? That would give people a reason to only have the full parkour set, for that unique set bonus.

Also there's no loadout slots. So whenever I don't need speed and instead want as much bullet protection as possible then I have to switch my clothing gear one by one to make sure I got the best possible protection. More fucking around in my Arsenal menu for 5 minutes.
Why have these different brand sets but no way to save your loadout for a specific mission. It's just so fucking crazy to think these guys didn't think of a basic thing like having loadout save slots.
I really don't get it. These guys have access to games like The Division where they could have taken inspiration from. That game has loadout save slots. It wouldn't be that difficult to implement that feature in Far Cry. It's the same fucking developer.

Last edited:

Jemm

For example theres an early mission where you have to use a tank to destroy 8 billboards.
For this mission, I wore some clothing that allows you to fix the vehicle while driving (without doing anything). Tank was in a good shape pretty much all the time.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I haven't got to finish that mission yet cause tanks are super slow and I really don't see myself driving around taking out 8 billboards. Just sounds too boring.
But can't you just go back after dying and take out the remaining billboards or do you have to do them all in one go?
True you can but the tank it’s half way across the map where it respawns so you gotta drive it back over. First world and all that but just an example of getting swarmed with totally OTT enemy. 3 helis and special guard?

I know I can move onto something else of course.

Peter303

One thing I hate about this game, and previous Far Crys is the day/night cycle. It's nearly always dark when I start a mission and I can't see anything. I'm sure one of the previous ones had a 'rest until morning' option?

Maybe I hate it because my eyes aren't good with low contrast scenes and given all the accessibility options available for colour blind people etc they might add an option for people who can't see in the dark.

Half my playtime is waiting for morning, ffs.

SJRB

Gold Member
One thing I hate about this game, and previous Far Crys is the day/night cycle. It's nearly always dark when I start a mission and I can't see anything. I'm sure one of the previous ones had a 'rest until morning' option?

Maybe I hate it because my eyes aren't good with low contrast scenes and given all the accessibility options available for colour blind people etc they might add an option for people who can't see in the dark.

Half my playtime is waiting for morning, ffs.

You can't fast-forward time?

I'm pretty sure this was a thing in Far Cry 4 [at least] when in safehouses but I might be wrong.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Man this game just feelings longer than previous FC games. I'm on my last faction and I want to just blow through it so I can beat the game. I've had my fill. I'm at the point where I'm just skipping over dialogue and scenes now, I don't really care what anyone has to say.

Kacho

Gold Member
45 hours in and just finished it. 880/1000 achievements, so there's definitely a few things I missed, like Special Ops.

Best Far Cry ever, and I'm including part 2. I was stunned by how bleak that ending was. Wow.
Bleaker than FC5?

45 hours in and just finished it. 880/1000 achievements, so there's definitely a few things I missed, like Special Ops.

Best Far Cry ever, and I'm including part 2. I was stunned by how bleak that ending was. Wow.
I've not played past Far Cry games and FC6 was my first time experiencing a Far Cry game. Put in 55 hours into the game to complete the story and the ending had me shook. Took me another 10 hours for the platinum to pop on PS5. Those mythic quests and treasure hunts were so fun and enjoyable that I ended up doing those more than go for the main story :D

Gamezone

Gold Member
I know Far Cry is Far Cry, but almost every game made by Ubisoft seems like some copy/paste title with different locations and environments year after year.

Chiggs

I know Far Cry is Far Cry, but almost every game made by Ubisoft seems like some copy/paste title with different locations and environments year after year.

Thanks for sharing! I’ve certainly never read an opinion like this before, and it’s not like this well-thought-out critique can be applied to other video game franchises or companies, just Ubisoft!

McGILLAZ

I am struggling to finish this thing...I really liked 5, but for whatever reason I don't care about the story, characters, etc. The game feels a tad sloppy too - the clothing system is tedious and I had more fun with upgrade paths. It's often quite pretty, but I think the Ubisoft paint by numbers fatigue has finally hit me, probably won't be purchasing another of these titles unless it's drastically different.

Denton

FC6 is too long if played completionistas. It took me 60 hours to finish, incl. all bases, sidequests and treasure hunts.

I enjoyed first 30-40 hours quite a lot, but then I wanted it to be over and it it went on...and on.

But as "quantity" it was, I was pleasantly surprised that the sidequests and treasure hunts were handcrafted and fun, not copypasted. Only the bases/checkpoints/antiaircraft sites were copypasted. But that is still too big part of the game.

Ending did not hit me particularly hard. In fact the story was a bit..disappointing on the whole. But Ubisoft is incapable of writing a great story.
Still, Dani actually talking was a step forward at least.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

How is that possible? I can walk right up to enemies and half the time they don't notice me at all until they're being stabbed. The AI in FC6 is horrendous.
I don’t know it’s fucking annoying. I’m playing on story mode maybe that needs a fix?

I was taking over an FND base last night nobody saw me next thing ‘spotted by enemy soldiers reinforcements called’ on the screen and 2 helis show up.

Chiggs

I don’t know it’s fucking annoying. I’m playing on story mode maybe that needs a fix?

I was taking over an FND base last night nobody saw me next thing ‘spotted by enemy soldiers reinforcements called’ on the screen and 2 helis show up.

Bet it was a special forces soldier. They've got hawk-like vision right when you don't need it, but they're dumb as a door nail most of the time.

Chiggs

So the Danny Trejo mission was basically an advertisement for his tacos. You basically fend off an attack from enemy forces while Trejo makes his signature tacos, prompting outrage from a commander who needs Trejo's tasty tacos in his mouth.

ozNczb1.jpg

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Finished this morning, the ending was underwhelming. The instafail stealth mission towards the end, whatever shithead implemented this should be taken behind the building and shot. Massive pet peeve of mine. Anyway I will still mess around in the world but the game systems were massively half baked, so many times I "leveled up" and got the message "new weapons available to buy" nope I exhausted that resource barely halfway through the game yet it kept giving me that dumb message as if leveling up meant anything.

SteadyEvo

Thanks for sharing! I’ve certainly never read an opinion like this before, and it’s not like this well-thought-out critique can be applied to other video game franchises or companies, just Ubisoft!
I mean, he/she is telling the truth. I just can’t play their titles back to back. I’m digging this but skipped 5 after enjoying 4. Same with AC. After playing the original to Black Flag I was completely burned out. Played about 10 minutes of Valhalla before uninstalling and returning.

Chiggs

I mean, he/she is telling the truth. I just can’t play their titles back to back. I’m digging this but skipped 5 after enjoying 4. Same with AC. After playing the original to Black Flag I was completely burned out. Played about 10 minutes of Valhalla before uninstalling and returning.

I’ll call UNICEF on your behalf.

Nitty_Grimes

Bet it was a special forces soldier. They've got hawk-like vision right when you don't need it, but they're dumb as a door nail most of the time.
Right. Are they randomly in bases or only turn up when your heat meter turns red?

Thinking back, when all this happened, the yellow heat meter wasn’t even a quarter way filled and yet the helicopters turned up.

Boss Mog

I'm about 70% through the game and yeah weapon progression isn't great and most of the enemy bases are uninspired. Some treasure hunts are great, others are forgettable and banal. But the worst part for me is by far the forced poltical agenda and SJW pandering. Anton's regime is clearly a communist regime inspired by that of Cuba, yet in the game they will never call it communism, they'll just say fascist and in the "Deposing a despot" bandido operation, they talk of a foreign far-right politician who supports Anton, making it seem like Anton is far-right. So many of Libertad's recruits are degenerates that do things that are just as evil as Anton if not more (but it's justified because they're the "good" guys), even Dani questions some of the shit they do and doesn't seem totally on board with everything at times. To me Libertad seems much like Antifa. Very early in the game when I first took control of a boat I took it to the edge of the map to see what would happen and I got an ending when Dani is sipping cocktails while lounging on the beach in Miami and hears on the radio that Libertad was destroyed by Anton. I expect it to be the best ending for me at this point but we'll see, I'll keep playing to get the "real" ending.

A few issues I've encountered (I'm on XSX):
- You can't access your weapon wheel when entering a new area due to the area name pop up (can't find a setting to turn this off) - sometimes results in dying
- The map totally disappears when entering a new area due to this too
- 'Repair vehicle', 'enter vehicle' and 'interact' are the same prompt, meaning I sometimes end up getting dying when trying to escape a situation or end up setting fire to people I'm releasing from a truck
- The menus are totally broken when using the D-pad; pressing left/right usually makes the selection go down a row
- The menu cursor is way too sluggish and I sometimes just don't bother using them (can't find a setting to increase sensitivity)
- The default cursor position when you load up the game is in the middle of screen rather than 'continue' which will probably be the selection 90% of the time - suppose it's their way of making you look at the 'pay more' options, but it just takes too long to get to 'continue'
- Even if you use the D-pad, the menus work with the cursor, so the selection just stays in the same place and doesn't move to a logical position
- The title screen always says "Press A Button" despite having audio descriptions turned off
- It might be me, but I always get confused when I set a waypoint because the 'mission you're on' marker is more prominent. End up going to somewhere I don't want to go.

Last edited:

McGILLAZ

A few issues I've encountered (I'm on XSX):
- You can't access your weapon wheel when entering a new area due to the area name pop up (can't find a setting to turn this off) - sometimes results in dying
- The map totally disappears when entering a new area due to this too
- 'Repair vehicle', 'enter vehicle' and 'interact' are the same prompt, meaning I sometimes end up getting dying when trying to escape a situation or end up setting fire to people I'm releasing from a truck
- The menus are totally broken when using the D-pad; pressing left/right usually makes the selection go down a row
- The menu cursor is way too sluggish and I sometimes just don't bother using them (can't find a setting to increase sensitivity)
- The default cursor position when you load up the game is in the middle of screen rather than 'continue' which will probably be the selection 90% of the time - suppose it's their way of making you look at the 'pay more' options, but it just takes too long to get to 'continue'
- Even if you use the D-pad, the menus work with the cursor, so the selection just stays in the same place and doesn't move to a logical position
- The title screen always says "Press A Button" despite having audio descriptions turned off
- It might be me, but I always get confused when I set a waypoint because the 'mission you're on' marker is more prominent. End up going to somewhere I don't want to go.
You're the only other person I've heard remark on the PRESS A TO START even with the the audio prompts off - I have to revisit that screen quite a bit because Quick Resume does not like Far Cry 6, at all.

Zok310

Banned
FC6 is too long if played completionistas. It took me 60 hours to finish, incl. all bases, sidequests and treasure hunts.

I enjoyed first 30-40 hours quite a lot, but then I wanted it to be over and it it went on...and on.

But as "quantity" it was, I was pleasantly surprised that the sidequests and treasure hunts were handcrafted and fun, not copypasted. Only the bases/checkpoints/antiaircraft sites were copypasted. But that is still too big part of the game.

Ending did not hit me particularly hard. In fact the story was a bit..disappointing on the whole. But Ubisoft is incapable of writing a great story.
Still, Dani actually talking was a step forward at least.
Yup, they over did it and broke so much shit. Ubi wants players to live in their world for as long as possible so they add a lot of fud and trash then add shortcuts in their store. It’s a shakedown strategy.

Chiggs

I'm about 70% through the game and yeah weapon progression isn't great and most of the enemy bases are uninspired. Some treasure hunts are great, others are forgettable and banal. But the worst part for me is by far the forced poltical agenda and SJW pandering. Anton's regime is clearly a communist regime inspired by that of Cuba, yet in the game they will never call it communism, they'll just say fascist and in the "Deposing a despot" bandido operation, they talk of a foreign far-right politician who supports Anton, making it seem like Anton is far-right. So many of Libertad's recruits are degenerates that do things that are just as evil as Anton if not more (but it's justified because they're the "good" guys), even Dani questions some of the shit they do and doesn't seem totally on board with everything at times. To me Libertad seems much like Antifa. Very early in the game when I first took control of a boat I took it to the edge of the map to see what would happen and I got an ending when Dani is sipping cocktails while lounging on the beach in Miami and hears on the radio that Libertad was destroyed by Anton. I expect it to be the best ending for me at this point but we'll see, I'll keep playing to get the "real" ending.

The Legends of '67 directly comment on that when they encounter that one woman from La Moral. If anyone is Antifa, it's La Moral.

Also, I highly doubt you can make a game like this and not ruffle somebody's feathers, be it the loons on the fringe left, or the nuts of the far right.

Right. Are they randomly in bases or only turn up when your heat meter turns red?

Thinking back, when all this happened, the yellow heat meter wasn’t even a quarter way filled and yet the helicopters turned up.

They're randomly in bases, depending on your level, I think.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

Damn you're making me wanna pull the trigger on buying the game. I'm trying to hold off until Black Friday.

Woggleman

Revolution is always bloody and messy so I don't mind that part. There will always be fighting about how far to take it. Also many rightwingers admire Putin who is a former KGB who wants to bring the USSR back so it makes sense they would admire Anton.

Jemm

New patch coming soon:
Far Cry 6 update removes accidentally included mission • Eurogamer.net

On Xbox Series X/S the size is between 14 GB and 20 GB, while on Xbox One it's between 13 GB and 19 GB.
Yet on PS4 it's between 49 GB and 60 GB and around 90 GB on PlayStation 5.
On PC it's 54 GB + 47 GB for the HD Texture Pack.

Patch notes: Title Update 2 Deployment | Ubisoft Forums

Gameplay updates
• New Daily and Weekly Challenges have been added.
• (Available November 9th) New Special Operation: Los Tres Santos.
• Adjusted the respawn rate of enemies in the following areas: José's Island and Martínez (Philly's) Airstrip.
• General performance improvements.

Quality-of-Life changes
• The title sequence can now be skipped like other cinematics.
• The Co-Op menu icon now shows a “!” when Co-Op becomes available for players.
• Corrected several subtitles to better reflect intention, e.g., Resources are now universally called Resolver Materials.
• Added a Moneda tutorial after finishing the first Insurgency.
• Workbench background has been updated to make it less distracting.
• Updated Colorblind mode to fix several issues for players with deuteranopia, e.g., not have white text on yellow background.

Bug fixes
General
• Fixed an issue that could cause a looping death and loading screen situation when an autosave was made while the player was dying.
• Fixed an issue that caused the weekly challenge “Road Rage” to have an identical name to the in-game trophy. The weekly challenge is now called “Road Fatality”.
• Fixed an issue that could cause a player to fall through the world until restarting the game under rare circumstances after crashing a plane into the ground during a co-op session.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the Auto Turret gadget to be permanently equipped when loading a save file.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the Wingsuit to not become available if the player built the Hideout Network facility level 1 before applying the launch day patches.

Photo Mode
• Fixed an issue that could cause connected controllers to continuously vibrate under certain circumstances when opening Photomode.
• Fixed an issue that could cause players to become stuck in Photomode when failing to find a Co-Op partner during matchmaking.

Missions
• Fixed an issue that could cause a looping loading screen during the “Backseat Driver” mission.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the mission progress to be halted if all ground forces were killed without being detected during the “Break the Chains” mission.
• Fixed an issue where the missions “Triada Blessings” and “Boom or Bust” would not complete correctly when completing them in Co-Op.
• Fixed an issue that could cause Miguel to disappear and the mission progress to halt under certain circumstances during the “Second Son” mission.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the controls UI elements to appear on screen after the cinematic during the “Harpoon” mission.
• Fixed an issue that could cause Paulo, Talia and Bicho to fall through the stage (but continue to perform, the show must go on!) when shooting them with Discos Locos during the “Guerrilla Radio” mission.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the quest objective to disappear when fast travelling after watching the cinematic during the “Bullet Points” mission.
• Fixed an issue that could cause Miguelina to become unresponsive during the “Sincerely Lorenzo: Obsession” mission.
• Fixed an issue that could make the Workbench unresponsive during the “Juan of a kind” mission.
• Fixed an issue where destroying all airplanes in the area before starting the mission “Fly Ball” could cause the mission progress to halt.
• Fixed an issue that could cause Raiza to become stuck during the “Du or Die” mission.

Co-Op
• Fixed an issue that could cause “Play Together” to stay greyed out if joining a session had previously failed.
• Improved game responsiveness after extended Co-Op sessions.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the game to freeze for 60 seconds when exiting a post-campaign Co-Op session.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the UI to become unresponsive when trying to accept a Co-Op invitation from a player that had previously hosted a Co-Op session on Stadia.
• Fixed an issue that could cause players on Stadia to receive a Trapper-D1534951 error when trying to join a Co-Op session.
• Fixed an issue that could prevent players on Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One to join a Co-Op session when already playing in a Co-Op session.

Last edited:

Peter303

Is this huge patch V1.04? I installed that on PS4 last night and it was about 9gb, took about 3hrs. Not looking forward to a possible 50gb patch!

SJRB

Gold Member
On Xbox Series X/S the size is between 14 GB and 20 GB, while on Xbox One it's between 13 GB and 19 GB.
Yet on PS4 it's between 49 GB and 60 GB and around 90 GB on PlayStation 5.
On PC it's 54 GB + 47 GB for the HD Texture Pack.

What the fuck are these filesizes. Holy shit dude, a 90 GB patch, are you serious?

Mattyp

Gold Member
The patch was 14gb on the X. I only just got this, played through nearly every FarCry and always get around to them as a time waster, I’m not doing a single mission outside main yellow story markers and about 30% through apparently on the new game screen after a few hours.

Once you play one there’s really no reason to waste 50+ hours clearing shit anymore, to me personally anyway. Specially with Forza only a few days out.

MrMephistoX

This is my 2nd Farcry and I didn’t get that far into 5: loving it so far. I just treat it as a pop in and mess around game instead of mainlining it and it’s great. I could see burnout if all the games up to this were almost identical.

MrTentakel

PSA:
The new Far Cry 6 patch broke the weapons wheel (PS5).
So take on the challenge, equip the "Prisoner`s Scarf" (gear) and use your trustful machete or wuss out and wait till the patch for the patch is released.

R6Rider

Gold Member
PSA:
The new Far Cry 6 patch broke the weapons wheel (PS5).
So take on the challenge, equip the "Prisoner`s Scarf" (gear) and use your trustful machete or wuss out and wait till the patch for the patch is released.
I don't think I've installed the new patch yet. Might hold off if I can.

Yeah what the hell is going on with a 90g patch that is mostly bug fixes??
It's not 90 GB. Must be a typo. The game doesn't even use close to 50Gb in total let alone for a patch.

On PC it was 19 GB so I don't get where they pulled those numbers from.

Last edited:
Top Bottom