• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 6 - Official Review Thread

Markio128

Not quite sure I 100% know that I understood the question… but, when I co op play with my friends, we choose to hop in party chat to decide who’s session will be joined first since objectives do not save for both. Next, we highlight whatever on the map and go for it together.
Unfortunately, I don’t think any of my mates are playing FC 6 at the moment (they literally only play Fifa and COD), so I was going to jump online with a random to try and gain the co-op trophy, the one where you have to clear a base.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Stumbling upon some of the legendary/myth animals is great. Just had a jump scare encounter with a giant cat.

I also got Chorizo as my amigo now and he's great.

Loving the weapon variety and I mix it up constantly to keep if fresh. Hoping I can find the AS Val soon.

Stumbling upon some of the legendary/myth animals is great. Just had a jump scare encounter with a giant cat.

I also got Chorizo as my amigo now and he's great.

Loving the weapon variety and I mix it up constantly to keep if fresh. Hoping I can find the AS Val soon.

ooooh where did that happen?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am having a blast so far. I didn't hate the lack of skill points and instead using clothing as much as I expected I would. I don't love it, but I don't hate it.

WHat I did hate was the Toxic achievement where you have to get 5 soldiers to kill eachother. That was a pain in the ass. I also suspect I will have a difficult time with the Stay Cool achievement.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm playing Far Cry 4 right now, but I don't usually play these games.
I literally have no clue what I'm even supposed to do next. Freedom is cool, but the map is littered with a frustrating amount of icons and no clear indication of which I should do. Just feels a bit overwhelming.

Is Far Cry 6 the exact same formula, essentially?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I literally have no clue what I'm even supposed to do next. Freedom is cool, but the map is littered with a frustrating amount of icons and no clear indication of which I should do. Just feels a bit overwhelming.

I skipped 4 and New Dawn, but have played the rest of the Far Cry games; and honestly for it's map size, there's not that many icons/it's not overwhelming. Nothing like AC Unity or anything.

There are clear map icons to tell you where the main story missions are, there's icons for checkpoints, bases, a few types of loot chests, camps, and so on. If you're wanting to just follow the story it's super easy and you can ignore the rest if you want.

This is an example:

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Yes and no. Formula is almost the same but journal is nicely organised so you can focus only on the stuff that interest you.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Am finding it hard at the minute to stealth into enemy sites and not set off all the alarms or be seen :(

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Am finding it hard at the minute to stealth into enemy sites and not set off all the alarms or be seen :(

Upgrade your camp to get scouting perk. It gives you laptop with intel on alarms etc. that’s placed next to each enemy base (laptop icon on your map). Shoot alarms before you even enter the camp and you should be okay. Higher level weapons and silencers make stealth approaches extremely easy. It’s only hard at the begging.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Always try to use your phone and scout the area first. The easiest way is to fly above and parachute as you scan with your phone. Lots of areas also have two or three other ways in via secret entrances, waterways, vents, etc. I often only find these after clearing a base. Taking out alarms is important, but not always necessary.

In general the easiest method for me is a sniper rifle and picking off marked targets at range, but this depends on the location obviously. Don't forget the different supremos have different grenade types that are super useful.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Well as i predicted, i got bored after 20 or so hours, well at least it was decent until it lasted.

Thank god for ubisoft pass.

Yeah.....the fatigue is starting to kick in for me as well. I'm in the Legends area now. I've decided I'm skipping all the side content for now on. I don't even feel the need to upgrade my weapons anymore. Going to play the main missions and be done with it. Get my $15 Ubisoft+ dollars worth out of it.

17c9157873298-4d524-DD689-E270471-A5-6-DCDEC30-FF446-E5-F-message-418438362497099-1634524853504.jpg

Is this another glitch? This light just has a hard edged box of red. Is anyone else getting these graphical glitches on ps5?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Is this another glitch? This light just has a hard edged box of red. Is anyone else getting these graphical glitches on ps5?
I haven't noticed anything like that. I've had some glitches, but nothing constant or that stands out.

Most glitches I've had are with AI, vehicles, and physics and they are usually hilarious.

I haven't noticed anything like that. I've had some glitches, but nothing constant or that stands out.

Most glitches I've had are with AI, vehicles, and physics and they are usually hilarious.

Strangely enough I've had none of those issues. In fact, other than the random graphical glitches I've posted here, thrbgame has been rock solid and I'm having a blast

I'm still enjoying this game but there's been something bothering me for awhile and I haven't been able to put my finger on it. Last night, I realized I've already played this game....it's Just Cause. Obviously there are differences but I'm getting some really heavy JC vibes.

I'm still enjoying this game but there's been something bothering me for awhile and I haven't been able to put my finger on it. Last night, I realized I've already played this game....it's Just Cause. Obviously there are differences but I'm getting some really heavy JC vibes.
I havent even played it but i said the same thing on the other thread, from what ive seen, its getting closer to just cause minus the physics, and it seems to be working, somewhat.

Last edited:
This game would be gorgeous if it wasn't so gosh darn blurry on my ps5. They made a big deal about the game running at "4k/60" on the next gen consoles since RT was out of the equation. Well, turns out it's like 1700p-1800p with dynamic res dropping lower at times, combined with the TAA makes for false advertising because it does NOT look 4k!

I hate to say this because I'm invested in these next gen machines and I know Ubis optimization isn't great, but these machines were touted by EVERYONE as being more than capable of running a game like this (this is a cross gen glorified ps4 game) at 4k/60.

So many last gen games can't break 1440p/60 it's depressing.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm in love with this game, seriously.

It does feel a little outdated and too easy at times, but damn, they nailed exploration/open world dynamics here.
The exploration is great. Even looting the many different materials is done in a way that isn't super annoying. I turned off the white highlights so I think that helps too.

Finding new weapons is great and I purposefully avoid buying them outright.

Then you have the vehicle collecting, which is among my favorite things.

This game would be gorgeous if it wasn't so gosh darn blurry on my ps5. They made a big deal about the game running at "4k/60" on the next gen consoles since RT was out of the equation. Well, turns out it's like 1700p-1800p with dynamic res dropping lower at times, combined with the TAA makes for false advertising because it does NOT look 4k!

I hate to say this because I'm invested in these next gen machines and I know Ubis optimization isn't great, but these machines were touted by EVERYONE as being more than capable of running a game like this (this is a cross gen glorified ps4 game) at 4k/60.

Post some screenshots of what you're experiencing, cause despite the odd glitches and general last gen look I gotta say, it doesn't look "blurry" to me.

I took this screenshot the other night, surely if it was blurry those fronds wouldn't look so sharp?

17c87790eaf0-screenshot-Url.jpg

Certinty

The game is just too big. They should halve the map size, but make it more interesting.
One of the reasons I think 5 is a better game. No idea why the map is so big in this, the size of 5’s was perfect. Also think the variety of the map in Montana was better than this, each area felt far more distinct.

Bragr

Banned
I was into it in the first 5 hours but jesus christ it gets old and trite after a few hours. The shooting is still fun, the world is cool to explore, but Ubisoft needs to take a LONG hard look in the mirror when it comes to their hiring processes. I cannot fathom how bad the story and campaign missions are. Every character is unlikable and unrealistic and corny, apart from the main bad guy who is the only one who is done alright, but the missions are the laziest shittiest missions I played in a long time, Far Cry 5 was actually better in most respects.

And I do not understand why they are still using A.I. from the '90s. Everywhere you turn something dumb happens that, sure, is funny, but it makes the game feel like a giant joke.

Mossybrew

Sucks that some are experiencing blurry image quality on PS5. Just a few random shots, looking fine for me. Wonder what the issue is?
nONSWKO.jpg

j2zwP4I.jpg

FrjeQvB.jpg

vZ2QUyx.jpg

Last edited:

Jemm

The game looks great for me on Series X and mostly I am really liking but I do not enjoy driving.
Auto Drive is useful when driving a tank and you are being attacked - like in the Yaran story where you have to steal a tank for an artist. Then you can turn back the turret and aim at the helicopters and following cars.

Anyway, I agree: driving would be more fun from the third person perspective.

Certinty

The middle region of this game must have the worst story and characters I've ever come across in a video game. Unbearable.

MetalRain

The middle region of this game must have the worst story and characters I've ever come across in a video game. Unbearable.
But that Fuego song, man it's good.

Just finished the game few days ago, world in this game is such well crafted. I wish some missions would more open in terms of structure, but I think it's best Far Cry game so far.

Last edited:

MetalRain

Sucks that some are experiencing blurry image quality on PS5. Just a few random shots, looking fine for me. Wonder what the issue is?
I think game just unfortunately is blurry, on PC I reduced blurriness by disabling motion blur and dynamic resolution scaling. PS5 seem to at least use dynamic resolution so that might be it. This game is quite eager to reduce the resolution and only return to full resolution on some very quiet moments.

Maybe there is something "wrong" with TAA as well, but game looks rough without it and obviously FXAA won't help there.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Yeah.....the fatigue is starting to kick in for me as well. I'm in the Legends area now. I've decided I'm skipping all the side content for now on. I don't even feel the need to upgrade my weapons anymore. Going to play the main missions and be done with it. Get my $15 Ubisoft+ dollars worth out of it.
I checked in to ask if anyone else was getting bored and got my answer lol.

I think it's a good game, but I find myself getting more bored with this one than previous ones for whatever reason. I did with Far Cry 5 as well. Didn't with 3 or 4. I don't like the setting/terrain nearly as much.

The game encourages stealth so much, but the gameplay isn't geared toward it. It's ridiculously annoying and frustrating to go through entire areas unnoticed, and once you get noticed, it's like beat the clock to disable the alarms or you have a 15 minute firefight on your hands that get old quick.

And unlike some previous Far Cry's they moved some alarms in more hidden areas and some of them indoors so you can't really spot them beforehand to know where they are. And some also can't be destroyed, they need to be manually disabled.

So I just stopped trying to do stealth altogether and just shoot my way through every area, which has gotten so stale, and it's even worse having to swap out ammo, which I also stopped doing, because it was getting tedious.

And the only real source of money is deploying recruits, which is a little lame.

Last edited:

What a shiddy TV u must have then. It looks crisp and clean on mine. Unless you are trolling. 😏

Game is now waaay too easy.

After maxing out Desert Eagle I can one tap anything to the head. 2 taps to the body.

There's 0 challenge anymore.

Like why don't some of the elite enemies also have supremos. If you approach in a helicopter or tank you could be faced with 2 elites with EMP supremos to disable your tank. That would add a bit of a challenge to the battle instead of blasting through everything. Get out, fix your tank. Rinse and repeat.
There's much more they could have done to make the enemies more challenging in the late game.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Dunno about too easy - I’m playing it in story mode and will go to capture just a checkpoint say and next thing I’m swamped there’s usually even a bloody helicopter thrown in.

Not saying it’s not easy to shoot enemy but I get bloody swamped with enemy all the time.

Dunno about too easy - I’m playing it in story mode and will go to capture just a checkpoint say and next thing I’m swamped there’s usually even a bloody helicopter thrown in.

Not saying it’s not easy to shoot enemy but I get bloody swamped with enemy all the time.
I've done a ton of side quests to the point where my weapons are overpowered and going through anything is piss easy even if I'm swamped there's no issue taking everyone out.

My load out consists of grenade launcher and rocket supremo with mods attached to decrease supremo cool down with every head shot. I've got a maxed out Desert Eagle and SS-GP58 (considered to be the best rifle in the game). All I do is launch supremo rockets, rain down grenades with my grenade launcher, hit my head shots with my rifle or pistol, launch supremo again. Rinse & repeat.

The game is actually fun when I'm overwhelmed because there's so much to kill so quickly. I actively look to not trigger alarms and go in loud to make it challenging. But still if I do that it's too easy to kill NPCs.

Playing this game stealthy with overpowered black market (or even standard modified) weapons is boring. I hope there DLC for much tougher enemies.

Give me enemies with jetpacks, drones, supremos, double armor plating or even mechs lol. Anything to make the end game content more challenging.

Mossybrew

Game is now waaay too easy.

After maxing out Desert Eagle I can one tap anything to the head. 2 taps to the body.

There's 0 challenge anymore.

Yep. I went to kick up the difficulty a notch but there doesn't seem to be a Hard mode? I've been messing around with lower level weapons just to mix things up a bit.

Nitty_Grimes

I've done a ton of side quests to the point where my weapons are overpowered and going through anything is piss easy even if I'm swamped there's no issue taking everyone out.

My load out consists of grenade launcher and rocket supremo with mods attached to decrease supremo cool down with every head shot. I've got a maxed out Desert Eagle and SS-GP58 (considered to be the best rifle in the game). All I do is launch supremo rockets, rain down grenades with my grenade launcher, hit my head shots with my rifle or pistol, launch supremo again. Rinse & repeat.

The game is actually fun when I'm overwhelmed because there's so much to kill so quickly. I actively look to not trigger alarms and go in loud to make it challenging. But still if I do that it's too easy to kill NPCs.

Playing this game stealthy with overpowered black market (or even standard modified) weapons is boring. I hope there DLC for much tougher enemies.

Give me enemies with jetpacks, drones, supremos, double armor plating or even mechs lol. Anything to make the end game content more challenging.
For example theres an early mission where you have to use a tank to destroy 8 billboards.

I can probably get to 5 before I have the special guard and about 3 helicopters after me. 9 times out of 10 an EMP will disable my tank and trying to repair it I get shot to shit by the helicopters or special forces.

That ain't right in my book. They literally come from nowhere and swamp me.

For example theres an early mission where you have to use a tank to destroy 8 billboards.

I can probably get to 5 before I have the special guard and about 3 helicopters after me. 9 times out of 10 an EMP will disable my tank and trying to repair it I get shot to shit by the helicopters or special forces.

That ain't right in my book. They literally come from nowhere and swamp me.
I haven't got to finish that mission yet cause tanks are super slow and I really don't see myself driving around taking out 8 billboards. Just sounds too boring.
But can't you just go back after dying and take out the remaining billboards or do you have to do them all in one go?

Certinty

After finishing the game I have to say I thought 5 was much better in almost every way.

Montana was a much more perfectly sized map and I loved how diverse each area felt. I even loved the ‘simpler’ story and character, 6 tries way too hard to force crap characters and stories onto you. I’ll admit Castillo was a great villain but the ending just shat most of that away. Don’t get me started on how the amigos are such a huge downgrade from 5’s too.

Hopefully 7 changes the formula up as even though I have enjoyed 3-6, it’s perhaps run its course now.

Portugeezer

This is what is putting me off buying it. I had the same issue in FC5, by 1/3rd of the game I felt like I had powerful enough weapons for the rest of the game so it got very repetitive. No newer weapons were good enough for me to replace what I had.

Top Bottom