• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 Trailers: Feb 27, full 2 player co-op, custom lead, map editor, more info

Fredrik

That's essentially what the cult itself is doing.
Yeah looking at past replies it seems like I'm not the only one who missed the pastor trailer. It really put a whole different light on the religious aspect of this game. Without that trailer it looks like it's about conservative extremist christians, but it's really just a cult that infested the community and took over the church too and started preaching their own lies. The pastor himself has clearly lost it too though after losing the church to the cult and seems determined to go out to save the lost souls of the population with a gun instead.

Tizoc

rnlSDIj.png

You may have just sold me on this game.

BBboy20

It's funny how many people are calling this game toothless, even as it offends the very people you'd want it to offend. How obvious do you need things to be?

I'm all for this game. I always wanted to punch the extremist jerk on my college campus who kept screaming at me how I'd go to hell for being in school lol.
Offending? Or making them feel like dog shit for what they believe in? Or maybe, somehow and someway, despite this being an action-packed exploitation franchise, it still manages to make someone realize the errors of their ways? To, at the very least, educate folks how we came to this climate in case they fail to identify how dangerous people like Trump are?

Right now, it's folks on the internet but how many? Because this game is going to reach a few million folks and plenty of them probably voted for this Republican regime or, at least, likes this current political climate. Unless the conservative uproar becomes that "loud", it's better to expect a vocal minority making all the hassle. In the end, what will matter is the millions of those reactions when the game is released next year.

Of course, that's rather Montreal will even attempt to do what I said...or if they could, they not have the chops to pull it off successfully.

Van Bur3n

Featuring a customizable character has my attention. I've looked into the game a bit and the gold edition comes with an outfit. Makes me wonder how truly extensive you can get with it.

May be the first Ubisoft game I buy in years if it's refreshing enough.

Patchy

Banned
Complete co-op makes this a day one purchase for my friend and I.

They don't make decent co-op shooters anymore. Borderlands 2 was the last great one.

kc44135

Ehh, not super interested in the story or setting, personally. It just doesn't do anything for me, honestly. As far as the gameplay goes, we obviously haven't seen much of anything yet, but I really, really don't want to play Far Cry 3 again. I feel like everything we've seen from this franchise over the last five years has just been some variation of that game, and I've just kinda had enough of it, frankly. I just don't want to take over a bunch of Outposts, climb a bunch of towers, and hunt down tons of meaningless collectibles all over again.

Unless they really do something innovative or unique here, I'm just not interested. I mean, campaign co-op is new, but I'm not really sure how they'll balance around that. Either solo play will suffer for it's inclusion, or it will be stupid easy, most likely. Aerial dogfights sound cool though, I suppose, if they control well. Maybe Far Cry 5 will be the next Far Cry 3, and just take this franchise to the next level, but right now, I'm admittedly pretty doubtful of that. Hopefully I'm wrong.

R0ckman

Yeah looking at past replies it seems like I'm not the only one who missed the pastor trailer. It really put a whole different light on the religious aspect of this game. Without that trailer it looks like it's about conservative extremist christians, but it's really just a cult that infested the community and took over the church too and started preaching their own lies. The pastor himself has clearly lost it too though after losing the church to the cult and seems determined to go out to save the lost souls of the population with a gun instead.

I'm going to be honest, I'm confused. What's the difference?

OuterLimits

While many right wing Christian evangelical groups have some gross beliefs and think everyone is going to hell, they typically aren't doing anything illegal. An example of a crazy religious cult is David Koresh and the Branch Davidians. They were involved in illegal activities.(especially Koresh)

Religious Cults though can fall anywhere on the political spectrum. Jim Jones was very leftist in his beliefs and was a communist. Early on he actually did some good things like fight for equal rights for African Americans. Many progressive politicians associated with Jones during this time.(including Jerry Brown, Walter Mondale).

He was also a psychopath who was abusing his followers and had a Congressman and news reporters killed at an airport as they were trying to leave. (hours later the infamous mass suicide happened)

Far Cry 3 didn't have the thematic impact on me that Last of Us did. But I feel it's kind of hard to successfully imbue a story into open world games. I really think the subject of American Christian fundamentalism is a topical theme worth exploring, but I'm not sure ubisoft is up to the task given their track record.

I bring up Last of Us because of how expertly its campaign and characters were. And I think the reason for that was because the game itself was structured in an old school linear manner.

I've only played Far Cry 3 half way through. How many other villains are there besides Vaas? It might help if there were more foils to work against in these games.

Fredrik

Extreme conservative christians would still be christians obviously. Here we have a cult that ripped down the christian symbol/cross and replaced it with their own symbol, made their own "bible", burned down the church, replaced the pastor etc. Seems more like they're pushing a new religion onto the people.

The cult is similar to ISIS in how they operate with weapons, terror and how they believe they're just culling the population from sinners etc, but this is clearly something else. I could be wrong but I assume from the pastor trailer and the burned church, symbol and how the pastor talks about their lies that the cult's ideas are far from christianity at least. The whole theme is unsettling right now anyhow. Could be a smart PR move though depending on how close to the terror people are living I guess, it's certainly a hot subject.

RE: That tweet.

So let me get this right - It's ok to stereotype every other ethnic group in videogames: black gangsters, triads, Yakuza, Mafia etc. etc, but white supremacists of all people are off the table?

I mean, they literally ripped this out of a 'making a cult 101' manual and people sympathise with them? There's no grey area here - those people are villains not 'average Americans'.

How could this even be remotely treasonous?

QtR1RfO.gif

Fredrik

RE: That tweet.

So let me get this right - It's ok to stereotype every other ethnic group in videogames: black gangsters, triads, Yakuza, Mafia etc. etc, but white supremacists of all people are off the table?

I mean, they literally ripped this out of a 'making a cult 101' manual and people sympathise with them? There's no grey area here - those people are villains not 'average Americans'.

How could this even be remotely treasonous?

QtR1RfO.gif
There is lots of confusion.
What's confusing about the white supremacist angle is that there are black men among the cultists and white men among the oppressed.
What's confusing about the conservative christians angle is that there are christians among the oppressed and the church and cross is burned.
I think it's simply a doomsday cult using the usual religious methods of gathering people within a society with mostly white people.

MikeBison

Extreme conservative christians would still be christians obviously. Here we have a cult that ripped down the christian symbol/cross and replaced it with their own symbol, made their own "bible", burned down the church, replaced the pastor etc. Seems more like they're pushing a new religion onto the people.

The cult is similar to ISIS in how they operate with weapons, terror and how they believe they're just culling the population from sinners etc, but this is clearly something else. I could be wrong but I assume from the pastor trailer and the burned church, symbol and how the pastor talks about their lies that the cult's ideas are far from christianity at least. The whole theme is unsettling right now anyhow. Could be a smart PR move though depending on how close to the terror people are living I guess, it's certainly a hot subject.

You keep bringing up ISIS and Islam but the comparisons aren't really there. Wouldn't using pen of the myriad of weirdo Christian cult like groups or doomsday preppers operating in America be more appropriate as an example?

Fredrik

You keep bringing up ISIS and Islam but the comparisons aren't really there. Wouldn't using pen of the myriad of weirdo Christian cult like groups or doomsday preppers operating in America be more appropriate as an example?
I don't know what operates in america but I mentioned doomsday cults already, that's what this looks like, a very militant one. Some people think it's conservative christians or white supremacists which imo seems very odd considering the characters they show both as villains and oppressed, mentioned that above, it just doesn't add up. But you see what you want to see I guess.
I just mentioned ISIS because it's something many of us unfortunately can relate to regarding militant religious-based cultisism which imo makes this whole theme a bit unsettling for entertainment right now.

AerialAir

Banned
Far Cry 3 didn't have the thematic impact on me that Last of Us did. But I feel it's kind of hard to successfully imbue a story into open world games. I really think the subject of American Christian fundamentalism is a topical theme worth exploring, but I'm not sure ubisoft is up to the task given their track record.

I bring up Last of Us because of how expertly its campaign and characters were. And I think the reason for that was because the game itself was structured in an old school linear manner.

I've only played Far Cry 3 half way through. How many other villains are there besides Vaas? It might help if there were more foils to work against in these games.

This. I already saw some red lights at the Mary May trailer, because she's supposedly bothered by the extremists' violence so she answers with violence and seems to admit it with some pleasure? I might be picky but resorting to violence while enjoying it without any psychiatric reason to do so is just making a glorified killing simulator, which isn't my thing.

There is lots of confusion.
What's confusing about the white supremacist angle is that there are black men among the cultists and white men among the oppressed.
What's confusing about the conservative christians angle is that there are christians among the oppressed and the church and cross is burned.
I think it's simply a doomsday cult using the usual religious methods of gathering people within a society with mostly white people.

Yes, but why are people offended? Extreme forms of all religions/political persuasions are open game IMO.

Why should Christianity be any different?

Fredrik

Yes, but why are people offended? Extreme forms of all religions/political persuasions are open game IMO.

Why should Christianity be any different?
Because of the confusion and assumptions made from too little info combined with hateful replies I'd say.
If someone says "Nice! Can't wait to go hunt some [group of people]!" then some people slightly related to [group of people] will usually be offended no matter how extreme the [group of people] are.

And you're asking about christianity yourself, even though it looks like the cult burned down the Christian church, got rid of the pastor, replaced the cross and bible with something else. How does christianity fit into that picture?

And people has talked about racism and white supremacists even though there are black people among the cultists. Where does racism fit in that picture?

Maybe it turns out to be about those things but personally I think there is too must assumptions going on.

And you're asking about christianity yourself, even though it looks like the cult burned down the Christian church, got rid of the pastor, replaced the cross and bible with something else. How does christianity fit into that picture?

I think you mean it is different because they haven't applied for tax exempt status yet?

This. I already saw some red lights at the Mary May trailer, because she's supposedly bothered by the extremists' violence so she answers with violence and seems to admit it with some pleasure? I might be picky but resorting to violence while enjoying it without any psychiatric reason to do so is just making a glorified killing simulator, which isn't my thing.

Yeah, but any of these characters going to mean anything in the grand scheme of things? Last of Us was able to make the secondary characters mean something even though their screen time is limited. I wonder how many people in that group photo will mean a thing. Will they all have distinct personalities and motives, or will everything be folding into one central antagonist like most UbiSoft games.

Again, exploring extreme Christian Fundamentalism in a game is a noteworthy subject, but there's so many facets in this movement that I doubt you'd be able to cover the meaningful ones in a single game. Personally, I think the more frightening fundamentalists are the more seemingly benign figures, like the Ralph Reeds and James Dobsons of the world. Here, you only have what looks like the foot soldiers. I think Colorado Springs would have been a more interesting backdrop to explore, with edifices like Focus on the Family providing for some interesting level designs to explore. Have you ever seen that place? It's almost like the Vatican for Evangelicals. Also, imagine taking out checkpoint radio towers owned by televangelists.

Still, I hope that Last of Us part 2 explores what fundamentalist religion is like in that world. With Ellie being revealed to having had some type of relationship with another girl, that could provide a byway into the issue of faith and how it might function in that world. You already saw 3 distinct forms of communities operated in TLOU, but we haven't really seen how religion is tackled by its inhabitants.

Also, the people at Ubisoft are from Montreal, right? I can't help but wonder if they only got the Montana version of what they assume Christian Fundamentalism is in America.

Fredrik

I think you mean it is different because they haven't applied for tax exempt status yet?
No because they burned the church and replaced the symbol, bible and pastor.

However, there is some baptism act going on in one trailer though, not sure if that act is available in any other religion (?). They call themselves Eden's Gate too. So I guess it could be some extreme offspring that just want to purge the area from normal christianity and take over. This isn't my cup of tea but it'll be interesting to see Ubi's take on cultisism for sure!

AerialAir

Banned
Yeah, but any of these characters going to mean anything in the grand scheme of things? Last of Us was able to make the secondary characters mean something even though their screen time is limited. I wonder how many people in that group photo will mean a thing. Will they all have distinct personalities and motives, or will everything be folding into one central antagonist like most UbiSoft games.

Again, exploring extreme Christian Fundamentalism in a game is a noteworthy subject, but there's so many facets in this movement that I doubt you'd be able to cover the meaningful ones in a single game. Personally, I think the more frightening fundamentalists are the more seemingly benign figures, like the Ralph Reeds and James Dobsons of the world. Here, you only have what looks like the foot soldiers. I think Colorado Springs would have been a more interesting backdrop to explore, with edifices like Focus on the Family providing for some interesting level designs to explore. Have you ever seen that place? It's almost like the Vatican for Evangelicals. Also, imagine taking out checkpoint radio towers owned by televangelists.

Still, I hope that Last of Us part 2 explores what fundamentalist religion is like in that world. With Ellie being revealed to having had some type of relationship with another girl, that could provide a byway into the issue of faith and how it might function in that world. You already saw 3 distinct forms of communities operated in TLOU, but we haven't really seen how religion is tackled by its inhabitants.

Also, the people at Ubisoft are from Montreal, right? I can't help but wonder if they only got the Montana version of what they assume Christian Fundamentalism is in America.

I couldn't agree more with practically everything you said, I think these are the kind of reflections every game dev should have when dealing with these thematics. If they did (and some do, like neil druckmann), this medium would stop being such a victim of stigma and could stand right next to other mediums of artistic expression, as it very much deserves!

SentryDown

So, are we going to hunt cows to upgrade ammo capacity ? Was hoping the hunt part would be a central piece in this one, like they did with Primal (kinda)

ryseing

I thought Buck was a decent villain, especially when it's revealed what he's been doing to your friend.

"Buck, Buck, it rhymes with fuck"

I thought Buck was a decent villain, especially when it's revealed what he's been doing to your friend.

"Buck, Buck, it rhymes with fuck"

Yeah, I'm not sure if that was entirely tasteless or progressive.

Anyways, I really, rreeaaallly hope this isn't just another Far Cry game. It really needs to shake up the formula.

Not Drake

Anyone else curious why they are using a scientology cross on the flag in the game's main art? I wonder if that's just some artist at Ubisoft thinking that the cross' design is "cool" and used it as a symbol for radical evangelism. Or maybe Eden's Gata is simply based off scientology with some added Christian traits like baptism. Any thoughts? I'm really looking forward to the game nevertheless. Loved 3, 4 and Primal.

Anyone else curious why they are using a scientology cross on the flag in the game's main art? I wonder if that's just some artist at Ubisoft thinking that the cross' design is "cool" and used it as a symbol for radical evangelism. Or maybe Eden's Gata is simply based off scientology with some added Christian traits like baptism. Any thoughts? I'm really looking forward to the game nevertheless. Loved 3, 4 and Primal.

I think they just wussed out on using a crucifix as the symbol for a group of villains so had to find something a bit removed from it.

the scientology thing was likely unintentional although coincidental considering the cult-like leader here.

anyways its a cool concept for a big mainstream video game, I hope they pull it off. they can easily mess this up too or just wimp out on actually saying anything on the subject.

did anybody kinda get Dylann Roof/charleston vibes from seeing a black pastor sitting outside a bloody church btw? that was kinda eerie.

So, are we going to hunt cows to upgrade ammo capacity ? Was hoping the hunt part would be a central piece in this one, like they did with Primal (kinda)

I could see it being hunt animals for money, spend money on upgrades, in this. To keep it more in line with the time period. At least that's the vibe I got. It made sense in tribal settings, but there's a general store now. Who knows though.

The co-op and customised protagonist are the selling point for me. I hope it's more like FC3 with all the hunting and less like The division.

I could see it being hunt animals for money, spend money on upgrades, in this. To keep it more in line with the time period. At least that's the vibe I got. It made sense in tribal settings, but there's a general store now. Who knows though.

I would be so happy if this one abandoned the need to kill and skin [x] animals to make [x] item. Not only would it not make sense given the setting and time period, but it's fucking tedious as hell and not nearly as fun or satisfying as maybe Ubisoft thinks it is.

Hilarious that white people are the villains and they (nonsurprisingly) go apeshit. They really need a reality check.

Don't see why some would. I mean in a lot of games white people(plus sometimes other races along side them) are the generic default enemies.

I think they just want to complain about something. If these game was announced a few years ago I doubt many would bat an eye.

Audette

Well the two gameplay segments I have seen on the PlayStation 4 have pretty rough frame rate drops.
Both coming from the PlayStation live stream, once the action kicks in the game seems to be sub 30fps. Really hope it's just the stream or pre release build.

I don't want to have to go buy a PS4 pro :(

YRZLkFC.gif

Genuinely no idea.

Do you know anyone incredibly stupid who pretends that they incredibly stupid? Imagine them. That's basically the gist of Boogie.

His opinions basically boil down to "It's just games! I love games, you love games, games are great! Please don't complain about games because they are fun and cool."

Ason

Top Bottom