• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 Trailers: Feb 27, full 2 player co-op, custom lead, map editor, more info

So in this alternate universe there is no police, swat, national guard, army or air force who would swoop in at the first firing of a rocket launcher, aerial dogfight or town getting blown to bits?

I get that it's rural but this is modern times in the USA. Even country people are attached to smartphones and social media. Other games of this genre have the law enforcement respond, how am I supposed to believe nothing would happen in the US in a Farcry game? Maybe the Russians knocked out all our communications like in Red Dawn!

Also, recruiting bears and cougars? For real? I hope they mean luring as in Farcry 4 and not mind linking as in Far Cry primal. Either way sounds like the same old stale ass gameplay.

hamsjams

FC5 seems to be about religion gone wrong, a religious cult and terror, and how far off is that from the current isis terror attacks? Muslim-islam-isis-terror. You get me? It's just with christianity gone wrong instead. I don't know, is that good entertainment today?

In the US not enough people associate this homegrown extremism with ISIS. Nor does the government or press as often as they should. This is despite the fervent wish of many Americans that they would. To see American Extremism cast in a way that actually creates that association can provide an amusing feeling of relief for the people who want this stuff to be taken more seriously in reality.

But you certainly don't have to play it if you're personally uncomfortable with it. Some small part of all of us should feel uncomfortable.

Coffinhal

This is just going to be a skin. They won't get too political or use the game design to tell things about the topic - and they sure don't know how to do that. I've only played FC3/4/Primal but none of these have accurate and/or interesting depictions of countries and people. This is just going to be a caricature with mediocre satire and Z movie cutscenes, but it'll be "fun" for most.

It's just a playground for the same game design framework. It can be ideologically twisted, but it wasn't intented, as in Far Cry Primal where their representation of the prehistory and prehistorical men/women is, no matter how cool are the little details to make it believable, what matters is what it says especially through game design (basically Far Cry's game design is based on capitalistic accumulation and imperialist military conquest and doesn't use at all this to tell something).

Chaplain

But I just saw that they had a real pastor in there too as well to hunt down the villains, so they're dodging the all-religion-is-bad bullet I guess.

If this is the case, then it doesn't accurately represent how Christ called his followers to live.

“The present task of the Church is not only to share the sufferings of Christ, but in doing so to share and bear the sufferings of the world — and, indeed, to discover that those vocations are two ways of saying the same thing; so that the pain of the world, which was heaped once and for all on to the Messiah on the cross, is now strangely to be shared by those who suffer with him. The Church is not insulated from the pain of the world, but is to become for the world what Jesus was for the world, the place where its pain and grief may be focused and concentrated, and so healed.” (New Testament Scholar N.T. Wright)

I wonder if they'll go for a Jones Town ending. You capture everything and push them back to the final stronghold, so you rally your backwoods army for the final assault, attack the camp in front of the stronghold, and break the force. Only for them to retreat into their base to find all of their loved ones dead. Including key people that were brainwashed, people who we were trying to save. Cue final confrontation with boss and end choices.

Kinyou

The replies to the trailer are getting better. Yeah, if they had the balls they'd make Islamic Extremists the enemy, that's new and inventive. Nobody's ever pushed that envelope in video games.
I see this point getting made again and again, but are there tons of games that feature islamic extremists? I can only think of that one medal of honor which had you fight Al-Qaida.

Fredrik

If this is the case, then it doesn't accurately represent how Christ called his followers to live.
That's too theological for me. However, it might be good if the religion-haters can't go hating on religious people in general with this game if the "proper" religious person in the game has kind of the role of the hero.

hamsjams

I wonder if they'll go for a Jones Town ending. You capture everything and push them back to the final stronghold, so you rally your backwoods army for the final assault, attack the camp in front of the stronghold, and break the force. Only for them to retreat into their base to find all of their loved ones dead. Including key people that were brainwashed, people who we were trying to save. Cue final confrontation with boss and end choices.

This would be interesting. The effect of this ending would depend entirely on the tone of the rest of the game. If it's the typical Far Cry kind of thing, it would just feel like one other heinous thing in a long list of outrageously heinous things the villains have done.

If the tone goes below surface level window dressing at all, it could be a powerful gut punch at the end of a thoroughly unnerving, ultimately sad, and potentially hopeless summation of the ways that power gets twisted.

SeanTSC

This looks great. Shot right up there to one of my most anticipated games.

Also the meltdowns are making my already good day even better. Delicious tears, Scott.

Coffinhal

Are there tons of games that feature islamic extremists? I can only think of that one medal of honor which had you fight Al-Qaida.

Most modern day FPS/TPS since the 90s feature as ennemies militarized groups from Middle-East that have a religious aspect and use violence for political means (what is called "extremism" or "terrorism"). It's just an easy stereotype for non-playable characters that you need to hate and kill.

The first Assassin's Creed did have some interesting things to say about terrorism though, since you were member of a sect, living in an independent village, killing people that attacked or threathened your ideology and/or the interests of the sect and its master.

See this paper for instance

ultrazilla

Do any of you think we'll get a port from Ubisoft for the Nintendo Switch? I do believe they said they had a few unannounced Switch games in development(one most likely the leaked Mario and Rabbids game).

Keasar

Fair point. I've never played ARMA, so I can't really comment on that, but I agree with what you're getting at. They should challenge themselves to make positive tweaks to these games. They could remove the symbols and have quest clues given to the player via storyline dialogue for example which lead players on a path to the "treasure" items. Nothing wrong with that. As for the towers, I'm not sure this game has them from what I'm seeing. As for being believable, obviously this game relies on you forgiving whether or not this situation/setting would be possible to enjoy it.

I just don't agree with people if they're saying they would like Far Cry to be something re-invented and doesn't feel like Far Cry. It's like those people that complained, rightly so, about Ghost Recon Wildlands not feeling like Ghost Recon Wildlands. I want a game in a series to feel like a game in that series is all. I don't expect it to be something else with a series brand I know stuck on it for the sake of calling it an entry in that series.

Definetly don't want them to change Far Cry completely from what it is, Far Cry is Far Cry and that is that. If I want something else, I'll look to another series to cater to me. All I wish of Far Cry is to make a positive evolution in its design and maybe make some tweaks to the formula to perhaps update with what could be potentially better ideas so I can get really into it again as I was (for a time) with Far Cry 3.

I would really like to enjoy a game set in a part of modern USA.

And then hope they maybe make one set in Sweden. Swedish baddies doing something mean and the player hunting among falu red houses in cold Scandinavian forests!

Hubble

Do any of you think we'll get a port from Ubisoft for the Nintendo Switch? I do believe they said they had a few unannounced Switch games in development(one most likely the leaked Mario and Rabbids game).

Absolutely not. Switch can't run the game and third party publishers selectively choose which games to put on the Switch that are more friendly.

Loxley

I don't know why some people are acting like this is the first time a Far Cry game has taken inspiration from real-world events and conflicts, Far Cry 2 did that quite a bit. You're a mercenary who takes part in a war in a central African nation between two rival militant factions - who pay you in blood diamonds to do their dirty work. All the while doing side missions to get passports for civilians who are attempting to flee the conflict. Heck the over-arching goal of the game is to assassinate The Jackal - an arms dealer who has a vested interest in keeping the conflict going because he sells weapons to both sides.

That's way more real than most shooters ever get.

Coffinhal

They won't port any kind of "mature" game to the Switch. They'll stick to Rayman, Just Dance, Rabbids, Steep, maybe BeyondGood&Evil and their racing game

I don't know why some people are acting like this is the first time a Far Cry game has taken inspiration from real-world events and conflicts, Far Cry 2 did that quite a bit. You're a mercenary who takes part in a war in a central African nation between two rival militant factions - who pay you in blood diamonds to do their dirty work. All the while doing side missions to get passports for civilians who are attempting to flee the conflict. Heck the over-arching goal of the game is to assassinate The Jackal - an arms dealer who has a vested interest in keeping the conflict going because he sells weapons to both sides.

That's way more real than most shooters ever get.

That's not the point. The question is how the game pictures, represents, portrays the reality, what message it says or doesn't say and by which means. In other words, it can be inspired from real events, but how they depict real countries, events, trends, people etc. in the game is obviously biased and can be just a caricature in the background.

cHinzo

Co-op campaign sounds nice. Prolly not gonna buy it at release though, maybe later down the road if it turns out to be a good game.

Cool, a non-fiction Far Cry. I jest, of course, but a lot of the themes being presented are completely real things in this country. Eagerly looking forward to people being needlessly outraged about white people with bibles as the bad guys. Will admit it's almost hitting a little too close to home, but I can't blame Ubi for not anticipating the political climate when they started development. Whether they're pushing though in spite of controversy--or because they've put too much time and money in to go back--we shall never know.

Example! From the Kotaku article, this incident is listed as inspiration for the game, where a bunch of crazy, armed white domestic terrorists took over and occupied a federal wildlife preserve for a month before the event ending in a high speed chase and a shoot-out:

Hooooooooooly shit, lol.
Not exactly sure I would classify an example where the only shooting was done by the FBI IIRC as a shootout. The group in question was also motivated by protesting laws concerning the use of federal lands and specifically the case of one particular rancher when a preventative fire line spread to federal lands. There's also the fact that this group wasn't going around kidnapping and murdering people, and were isolated in a single small location, so I'd argue it's a pretty different scenario.

As for the game's premise, Far Cry has always been pretty out there, so it can work as long as the narrative setup can justify the apparent lack of government intervention (which is the biggest disconnect in this setting).

To be honest the setting being "close to home" as it were does make me think about the narrative justification for wanton murder in games in general. Since this is Far Cry I expect the villains to be cartoonishly evil, but I'd really love for more big budget games (in all settings/contexts) to examine the application of violence ala Spec Ops / Undertale.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I liked the trailer a lot. If they drastically change the way the storytelling works (overacted unskippable first person monologue cutscenes that go on for too long) I'm in.

jmizzal

They won't port any kind of "mature" game to the Switch. They'll stick to Rayman, Just Dance, Rabbids, Steep, maybe BeyondGood&Evil and their racing game

That was before the Switch started selling on crazy levels, they may rethink there strategy by the end of the year, if other Switch 3rd party games are selling great, like NBA 2K18, Skyrim and if COD comes and sells well. Ubisoft and anybody else would try to get there games on there, they already have Snowdrop engine running on Switch.

The idea of a cult performing a coup in a town reminded me of a story I read online a while back about a religious sect taking over a town in Oregon, and well, what do you know:

1984 Rajneeshee bioterror attack

After being denied building permits for Rajneeshpuram, the commune leadership sought to gain political control over the rest of the county by influencing the November 1984 county election.[9] Their goal was to win two of three seats on the Wasco County Circuit Court, as well as the sheriff's office.[2] Their attempts to influence the election included the "Share-a-Home" program, in which they had thousands of homeless people transported to Rajneeshpuram and attempted to register them to vote to inflate the constituency of voters for the group's candidates.[11][12] The Wasco county clerk countered this attempt by enforcing a regulation that required all new voters to submit their qualifications when registering to vote.[13]

The commune leadership planned to sicken and incapacitate voters in The Dalles, where most of the voters resided, to sway the election.[14] Approximately twelve people were involved in the plots to employ biological agents, and at least eleven were involved in the planning process.[11] No more than four appear to have been involved in development at the Rajneeshpuram medical laboratory; not all of those were necessarily aware of the objectives their work served.[11] At least eight individuals were involved with the distribution of the bacteria.[11]

So, the idea doesn't seem too unrealistic, even though it's going to turned up to 11 because it's a Far Cry game.

I never felt comfortable with the idea of shooting natives in Far Cry, so I've never actually played/bought a Far Cry game.

Shooting evil religious zealots sound like a damn good time. I'm in.

Upon further inspection, there's really no controversy necessary for this game. Based on the preview materials, Far Cry 5's depiction of American Christianity is about as nuanced as Bioshock Infinite's. It's a caricature that can be as easily used as a villain as aggressive military Russians/Chinese, neo-Nazis, or Muslim terrorists. There's no depth to "the Cult." It looks like they cobbled together themes from different evil groups (militia groups, fundamentalist Christians, Scientology, neo-Nazis) and made a typical evil Frankenstein. This game isn't going to, like, challenge anyone's identity with serious critiques of theology or sociology.

I never felt comfortable with the idea of shooting natives in Far Cry, so I've never actually played/bought a Far Cry game.

Curious as to what the difference is here since presumably they have all been (and will be) similarly evil.

Was Far Cry ever about shooting natives? The original was soldiers and mutant zombies. The second I haven't played, but Far Cry 3 has you up against slavers and human traffickers and Far Cry 4 has you fighting with The Golden Path rebels against Pagan Min's army.

fantomena

From YT comments:

US towns get taken over by religious extremists
US gets bombed by foreign countries in the name of freedom
Foreign countries attempt to establish puppet government in the US
Foreign bombs end up killing a bunch of US civilians thus creating more religious extremists
Foreigners pull out of the US and leave a power vacuum, strengthening the religious extremists

Seijuro

Gnah, the leak from a few weeks ago said September. February is still so far away.

Hope Ubi don't change the game because of some white pride whiners.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Was Far Cry ever about shooting natives? The original was soldiers and mutant zombies. The second I haven't played, but Far Cry 3 has you up against slavers and human traffickers and Far Cry 4 has you fighting with The Golden Path rebels against Pagan Min's army.

In the second you fought mostly mercenaries like Afrikaners and militiamen from two warlord-led factions.

Nuke Soda

I will never not be excited about new Far Cry (Except Primal), but will always remain slightly skeptical because Ubisoft. I realize that is a weird contradiction. Loved 3 and was bored to tears by 4.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
There's an infowars story on the game, and it's hilarious. This line sums it up.

Far Cry 5 stands out as it’s the first in the series to let gamers mow down Americans (albeit fictitious), not mutants or foreigners.

And some choice excerpts from the top of the comment sections...

The funny part is, we all know they will never do one about radical Muslims who take over Sweden.

CIA mind control propaganda crap.

David Duke has been right the whole time. He has been warning the white peoples about things like this.

This is how I'm reacting reading the comments.

aFLTIpq.gif

might be relevant to keep in mind that Far Cry has had a bit of a habit of making sure that every single faction available to the player is Quite Goddamn Shitty, and in 2 and 4 in particular, the big bads (jackal and pagan min) were the least shitty factions (by a very god damn tiny margin when it comes to pagan).

jdstorm

Banned
Is it too early to suggest an OP title?

It has to be Far Cry 5 |OT| Dukes of Hope

1. Its a minor Dukes of Hazzard Reference
2. It makes a link between White Supremecy and and Religious Cults.

DeaDPo0L84

Farcry has yet to let me down and I'm loving what I'm seeing so far. I don't believe in god though so the religious stuff doesn't really bother me as much as it seems to others. So glad it has coop, although thought it would at least be up to 3 given there were individual character trailers for each.

Gnah, the leak from a few weeks ago said September. February is still so far away.

Hope Ubi don't change the game because of some white pride whiners.

They shouldn't change anything. The press they are getting already is great. Some people are going to be pissed off and offended, then buy the game to fuel their fire. lol.

Top Bottom