• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 Reviews

Because sometimes we would like for the content creators to "graduate" to the next level to make it a better overall game or movie (in this case game). Just because the characters might have had a different belief than me, doesn't mean it would alienate me or others that think like me.

Considering how Polygon and co. are mostly salty that the game isn't pushing their particular political views hard enough, I find that hard to believe. What these people consider "graduating", most others would describe as pandering. Nothing good can come out of any game that's trying to adhere to Walker's or Kuchera's simplistic, childish and flat out silly political convictions. But feel free to take political advice by a guy who thinks Tetris is soviet propaganda and feels the need to do this...

n2OrzCG.jpg

Nah. I don't give a shit about you, so instead of wasting my time, all I did was pull a few links from the notes I have on an article in progress.

Oh noes, 3 people on twitter nobody gives a sh*t about said something on twitter, stop the presses!

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Considering how Polygon and co. are mostly salty that the game isn't pushing their particular political views hard enough, I find that hard to believe. What these people consider "graduating", most others would describe as pandering. Nothing good can come out of any game that's trying to adhere to Walker's or Kuchera's simplistic, childish and flat out silly political convictions. But feel free to take political advice by a guy who thinks Tetris is soviet propaganda and feels the need to do this...

n2OrzCG.jpg

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Was that photo supposed to be funny?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
!

I don't know anything about the Polygon guy, but no way Austin Walker would just want this game to "serve" his political views. I listen to the Waypoint podcast all the time. He likes games that challenge the player story wise. Regardless of political views he has the ability to speak about story and be nuanced about it.

Dunki

I don't know anything about the Polygon guy, but no way Austin Walker would just want this game to "serve" his political views. I listen to the Waypoint podcast all the time. He likes games that challenge the player story wise. Regardless of political views he has the ability to speak about story and be nuanced about it.
This one was not nuanced a all. And he does this stuff if it involves political views he is highly against it or deeply cares about. Another example would be Kingdom come

mckmas8808

This one was not nuanced a all. And he does this stuff if it involves political views he is highly against it or deeply cares about. Another example would be Kingdom come

Did you hear how much he actually loved the gameplay of Kingdom Come? He spoke glowingly about the actual gameplay. He took issue with some things that the owner of the company did and said. Why is having a nuanced position on a game like Kingdom Come a bad thing? Clearly, you can see why someone would have a problem with some of the things that the co-owner did right?

Kenpachii

Keep in mind those reviews are just personal opinions of a bunch of people that write in a piece of paper. Obviously those opinions won't be shared by anybody else then the person itself reviewing it. It's there conclusions they form based on facts and personal bias which form ultimately there opinions.

If you read reviews just take facts out of it, and remove the opinion based content which can always change from person to person.

There is really no point in arguing the reviewers personal opinion.

Dunki

Did you hear how much he actually loved the gameplay of Kingdom Come? He spoke glowingly about the actual gameplay. He took issue with some things that the owner of the company did and said. Why is having a nuanced position on a game like Kingdom Come a bad thing? Clearly, you can see why someone would have a problem with some of the things that the co-owner did right?
They did not cover the game because of 1 person who is kind of shitty. A game 100 people worked on. A game that used professional historians and a crew who did serious research on a topic American progressive went crazy about.

In this region they found exactly 3 documented black people and all of them were slaves back then. It was not a story about black people it was a story about a place that barely gets coverage at all but some assholes did use it for their political agenda attacked Vavra who then did not stay silent but defended himself. And it was not a nuanced opinion on it. And hoenstly this whole discussion was as stupid as the Hat in Time thing because some racist asshole had like 3 lines in the game.

But again at least waypoint does not use review scores so it does not ruin the metacritic score. A score people in this industry get paid by.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
They actually are making a great point. A real good story would address those issues.

I haven't seen a single good point, as to why the game needed to get political. From the setting, to how it apparently presented itself. I never got any of that. Yeah it's set in a Trump state. So what? The entire series has always been about emergent chaos and absurdity. I mean 5 has goddamn murder turkeys. This is on par for the course for Far Cry. and no it didn't need to set it's foot down on the apparent political climate of the US.

I mean quite frankly, a lot of the "disappointment" over the story legitimately reads like the critics literally expected murderous racist Trump voters as the main enemy force. Off to shoot the deplorables we go! It was sold as being about a Doomsday cult in Montana. That's what they promised, that's what was delivered. I mean seriously expecting gravitas from a series that once had you ride a mechanical dragon to the OST of Rocky IV is totally off the mark.

"Far Cry 5 makes fun of everyone on the political spectrum, without ever taking a clear stand " says Polygon. It's a completely bullshit line, in a review that's extremely unconvincing about the points it's trying to raise. What would be good? "Conservatives are assholes and they are wrong! Go Hilary!" Complains about drug addicted enemies, and how the game should have tackled the drug epidemic. That's just complete dumbassery, and a massive reach to justify the score to a game, he calls one of the best games in the series otherwise. You can literally follow the train of thought. "They said libtard! Fuck this game, it's insulting to me!"

Look Trump and the GOP can get bent IRL for all I care (actually as far as I am concerned, they really should). But all of the critics trying to pretend that the Far Cry series of all things, needed to explore politics in depth is just....oooff. They complain about tonal backlash, yet willingly ignore how their perfect politicized Far Cry 5 would offer whiplash so hard your head would fall off instantly. Far Cry isn't about talking about political divide in the US. It's about failing a mission, because a friendly NPC shot a rocket launcher into the damn truck you were trying to steal. It's about talking with a rescued hostage, only to see her get dragged off into the freaking woods by a cougar in a totally unscripted way. No matter if it's set in Montana or not, no it does not need to tackle politics or the drug epidemic. It needed to tell a story about a crazy murderous doomsday cult. It does that. And it does that well.

And the potential future Far Cry 6 in....Japan (let's say). If it doesn't talk about the horror of WW2 Japanese imperialism, and the effects of violence against Korean comfort women (Korea's new status as the new hip East Asian nation, and the K-wave means it's a current issue!)... Bad story. BAD!

Last edited:

noqtic

Some pretty good scores for it tbh, but not from major outlets.

side note, my roommate is streaming it on my channel right now since he bought it.

Some pretty good scores for it tbh, but not from major outlets.

side note, my roommate is streaming it on my channel right now since he bought it.

IGN gives it...... http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/28/far-cry-5-review

Glad I bought this one. So far enjoying it! Graphics look great on the X. The pics without HDR do it no justice, HDR makes a huge difference in this game. 4k native I believe as well
lTdclRz.jpg
gc4GGUD.jpg
cTWE7tG.jpg
tKuGdc2.jpg
mekw9w1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Eurogamer...
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-25-far-cry-5-review
There's little sustained investigation of wider social factors, like the overlap between militant Christian extremism and white supremacy or sexism - indeed, the game generally ducks such questions. The cult's ranks are stocked with a mixture of races and genders, in what feels like a careful sanitising of the subject matter.

So after Eurogamer's major bitching about lack of diversity in Kingdom Come, wanting diversity over history (then using 1 historian, not multiple like the devs, just 1, and a what if scenario to justify it), they now....bitch about diversity because they want fiction to match what they believe is reality, and to only shoot strait white males?

tumblr_n6amcdHPG71rliszto1_r1_500.gif

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Such asinine criticism. Game was leaked on Reddit via a person that went into a focus group for the game, and was told that the game's villain was a David Koresh type. The Branch Davidians had many Black members. Hell I think they had people from the Phillipines.

It makes me fucking seething, to see people that I suppose share my political views (liberal to the core), being such little bitches over a video game.

Last edited:

Dunki

At this point I just wish that big publishers would lash out against this stupidity but they can’t do anything since these sites would use it to slander these companies. Shouting censorship calling them sexist and racist etc.

Not gamers are dead games journalism if it ever existed is and should be dead

120v

thing is i find cultism (to which, the writing and portrayal was supervised by an expert) to be more interesting than gunning down a bunch of MAGA hat wearing klansman or whatever the fuck some of these reviewers wanted. if this game wanted to "go there" then fine i guess but i don't see how it's really "saying something". racists are bad and trump sucks, cool but i could figure that out for myself

Holy crap. Great screenshots mate. Are those screenshots from the X version?

Thanks and Yes from the X. Looks even better in person. Those first shots were from the first 10 minutes in the game, with fog. Once the fog clears up, man, this game is impressive. So sharp and clean with great textures and lighting. Very polished game.

More shots. all gameplay
Ecjuy1f.jpg

S7f3qja.jpg
lkFlTv9.jpg
GbktgAS.jpg
FwC9gO0.jpg
arTh4ZU.jpg

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Such asinine criticism. Game was leaked on Reddit via a person that went into a focus group for the game, and was told that the game's villain was a David Koresh type. The Branch Davidians had many Black members. Hell I think they had people from the Phillipines.

It makes me fucking seething, to see people that I suppose share my political views (liberal to the core), being such little bitches over a video game.

I equally find it odd that people are crying that some reviewers have a different opinion than them. We go from one game having no black people, to another game that has pure diversity in a setting where it makes less sense (and doesn't try to say anything interesting).

There's something I don't understand. How... how is the game "apolitical to the point of absurdity"?

The bad guys are radical brainwashed evangelicals, the good guys are normal people from all walks or life, including a black priest and lots of hillbillies. Do these "journalists" think Hope County is the conservative ideal or something like that? Or did they EXPECT it to be?

lol wtf are you even talking about. It sounds like you don't even know what journalism is yourself.

I'm a journalist. Their inability to analyze the work on its own merits and instead shoehorning their fabricated expectations regarding an unrelated political agenda and judging by that criteria makes it, well, not journalism.

I won't stop you from liking it though if you're into that sort of stuff, I respect anyone's weird fetishes.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Keep in mind those reviews are just personal opinions of a bunch of It was sold as being about a Doomsday cult in Montana. That's what they promised, that's what was delivered. I mean seriously expecting gravitas from a series that once had you ride a mechanical dragon to the OST of Rocky IV is totally off the mark.

Not to mention that "evil religious organizations" have been villains in video games for decades. JRPGs have had players destroying evil religions (and sometimes their evil deities) since the days of the SNES. The idea of a religious cult now suddenly representing Trump in some way is laughable. Apparently the evil religious group in Breath of Fire 2 was actually a Trump reference 20 years ahead of time! What foresight!

Seriously, the anti-Trump sentiment makes people lose their minds as does politics in general. Why do people enjoy bringing this stuff up all the time? There's never any joy in it.

mckmas8808

Not to mention that "evil religious organizations" have been villains in video games for decades. JRPGs have had players destroying evil religions (and sometimes their evil deities) since the days of the SNES. The idea of a religious cult now suddenly representing Trump in some way is laughable. Apparently the evil religious group in Breath of Fire 2 was actually a Trump reference 20 years ahead of time! What foresight!

Seriously, the anti-Trump sentiment makes people lose their minds as does politics in general. Why do people enjoy bringing this stuff up all the time? There's never any joy in it.

Stop being ignorant. It's clear that this cult isn't just purely a religious cult with no politics attached.

Dunki

Stop being ignorant. It's clear that this cult isn't just purely a religious cult with no politics attached.
Oh yeah please tell me these politics. Tell me how it represents Trump or some other bullshit when it actually does not Again these reviewers went in biased with an political agenda they wanted to see and when they did not see it in the most extreme way possible.
All cultists = white and male
opposing = black female maybe even trans

They were ready to trash this game. Luckily It seems like a huge success and proves again how irrelevant these assholes have become. I just wish Ubisoft and Co would denounce them for their bullshit agenda driven articles.

Kadayi

Banned

Roman Polanski s a convicted Pedophile. Yet that didn't stop him from winning an Oscar for The Pianist. I don't recall any film critics getting uppity about it because he fucked a 13-year-old girl in the ass back in the 60s and therefore they refuse to see or review any of his movies, let alone make a podcast about it to tell the world. What exactly has Daniel Vavra done? Upset some Tumblrinas/Twatters who are incapable of comprehending that medieval Bohemia was kind of off the beaten track for most people? Crime of the century....

I liked Austin when he was a giant bomb, but frankly, this sort of 'me drama' game journalism needs to die in a fire. I have zero interest in listening to people tell me why they refuse to play or review a game, least of all when it's over inane twitter BS and hyper-connected peoples feelings over being offended ((the pinnacle of #first world problems if ever there was one). Dude has turned into a complete mook, his opinions aren't worth anyone's time these days.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Yeah it's not like fanatical religious cults have existed in the United States of America of all places since like forever.

Did anybody say religious cults were just now created? I didn't get that from seeing the game at all.

Roman Polanski s a convicted Pedophile. Yet that didn't stop him from winning an Oscar for The Pianist. I don't recall any film critics getting uppity about it because he fucked a 13-year-old girl in the ass back in the 60s and therefore they refuse to see or review any of his movies, let alone make a podcast about it to tell the world. What exactly has Daniel Vavra done? Upset some Tumblrinas/Twatters who are incapable of comprehending that medieval Bohemia was kind of off the beaten track for most people? Crime of the century....

I liked Austin when he was a giant bomb, but frankly, this sort of 'me drama' game journalism needs to die in a fire. I have zero interest in listening to people tell me why they refuse to play or review a game, least of all when it's over inane twitter BS and hyper-connected peoples feelings over being offended ((the pinnacle of #first world problems if ever there was one). Dude has turned into a complete mook, his opinions aren't worth anyone's time these days.

Actually there's plenty people that have wrote about Polanski over the last few years that have said similar things to what you said. And did you not see the shirt that Daniel Vavra wore?

Dunki

Did anybody say religious cults were just now created? I didn't get that from seeing the game at all.

Actually there's plenty people that have wrote about Polanski over the last few years that have said similar things to what you said. And did you not see the shirt that Daniel Vavra wore?
ByO0vdbIcAAGVMW.jpg

This one where he mocks all these idiots who wrote these shitty articles? Which by the way deserved to be mocked

Or the one about a normal band which leader turned out to be a racist?

Last edited:

Are you talking about the black metal band (Burzum) one that a certain vociferous element lied about:

1. being a neo nazi band and;

2. him wearing it every day for a week at a games convention?

Or are you referring to another one?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

ByO0vdbIcAAGVMW.jpg

This one where he mocks all these idiots who wrote these shitty articles? Which by the way deserved to be mocked

Or the one about a normal band which leader turned out to be a racist?

Yeah this one! If he thinks people that care about trans people, speak about white privilege, etc are idiots then he made a mistake wearing that shirt in public. It wasn't cool for him to mock them.

J Bro

Banned
Yeah this one! If he thinks people that care about trans people, speak about white privilege, etc are idiots then he made a mistake wearing that shirt in public. It wasn't cool for him to mock them.

I like how you're blaming the victim of harassment and not the harassers. Maybe your folks should stop acting like crazy people and harassing others. Oh man, it's almost like everyone acts exactly like what they pretend gamergate acts like.

Last edited:

Dunki

This was based on the whole gamergate situation this is what these people called gamergater and it became a meme especially with the #based since people also called Christina Sommer #based MOM
And this meme was also used by trans/black or female gamergater who mocked the whole situation.

Again do you really think gamergate people cared about what they were called? They knew they were not and they had tons of followers. Trolls also run with it. Why do you think something like Kekistan was established? Because the left press was upset about Pepe and co and the people laughing at the press totally rolled with it. The more these people get upset the more they are rolling with it.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

This was based on the whole gamergate situation this is what these people called gamergater and it became a meme especially with the #based since people also called Christina Sommer #based MOM
And this meme was also used by trans/black or female gamergater who mocked the whole situation.

Again do you really think gamergate people cared about what they were called? They knew they were not and they had tons of followers. Trolls also run with it. Why do you think something like Kekistan was established? Because the left press was upset about Pepe and co and the people laughing at the press totally rolled with it. The more these people get upset the more they are rolling with it.

I mean that's fine and all, but he shouldn't be surprised if he gets pushback wearing that shirt. And it can/could lead to people thinking with that kind of mindset it could have affected how he designed the game. It doesn't see apolitical at all. But this is sorta getting off point about Far Cry 5.

cr0w

Old Member

100% based on Koresh and the Davidians, down to Seed claiming the conflict had opened the Seventh Seal and kicked off Armageddon. Some of the stuff Seed said during the opening cutscene could have come directly from Koresh's mouth.

And yes, the Davidians were a very diverse group, which apparently shocks some people.

Dunki

I mean that's fine and all, but he shouldn't be surprised if he gets pushback wearing that shirt. And it can/could lead to people thinking with that kind of mindset it could have affected how he designed the game. It doesn't see apolitical at all. But this is sorta getting off point about Far Cry 5.
He put on this shirt after shit already went crazy. Why not mock these carzy people?

As for Far Cry I find it HILLARIOUS that polygon, forbes and even eurogamer are criticizing the diversity in this game while in the meantime have criticized him for being more historical accurate. This only shows how stupidly agenda driven these people are. I just hope these sites are dying soon so I can enjoy more videogames and these so called journalists could finally try to learn what the words journalism and ethics mean

Last edited:

Maybe I misunderstood your post, that was a reply to the "with no politics attached" which I took it as current politics attachment, which is not something that should have been taken for granted given that religious cult is a common and timeless american imaginary.

As for Far Cry I find it HILLARIOUS that polygon, forbes and even eurogamer are criticizing the diversity in this game while in the meantime have criticized him for being more historical accurate.

Man I used to love Eurogamer, it's so goddamn sad they became this idiotic Polygon clone.

Last edited:

Dunki

Maybe I misunderstood your post, that was a reply to the "with no politics attached" which I took it as current politics attachment, which is not something that should have been taken for granted given that religious cult is a common and timeless american imaginary.

Man I used to love Eurogamer, it's so goddamn sad they became this idiotic Polygon clone.
They are desperately seeking for a new audience since gamers have abandoned them for the most part. Now they go after clickbaits that will get them at least some outrage clicks. I jsut wish developer and publisher would stop supporting them. Let them buy their own copies do not fly them to previews etc.

Last edited:
They are desperately seeking for a new audience since gamers have abandoned them for the most part. Now they go after clickbaits that will get them at least some outrage clicks. I jsut wish developer and publisher would stop supporting them. Let them buy their own copies do not fly them to previews etc.
Seems to be the case for so many so called game critics and journalists of the now days. Gamespot outright has a guy, Eddie something, dedicated to making articles with misleading headlines just to get clicks.

Kadayi

Banned
Actually there's plenty people that have wrote about Polanski over the last few years that have said similar things to what you said.

Come back to me when they take away his Oscar.

And did you not see the shirt that Daniel Vavra wore?

Are you for real? Did you even read the very post you quoted? Here let me remind you: -

I have zero interest in listening to people tell me why they refuse to play or review a game, least of all when it's over inane twitter BS and hyper-connected peoples feelings over being offended ((the pinnacle of #first world problems if ever there was one

Exactly how many people were seemingly offended by this T-Shirt as a matter of interest? I mean what kind of global metrics are we talking here? Do the UN need to round up a committee to ponder the impact? Or should we just go to Defcon 1 and nuke the site from orbit as it's the only way to be sure? I mean we've gotta protect the children right? Because otherwise we're just outright in meeting a stranger in the Alps territory if this thing continues to grow.

Last edited:

Nny7229

Man this thread has gone off the rails.

I've only played a couple of hours and the games is pretty solid. I don't know if they do yet, but I wish they went more into what makes a cult truly awful. Like the power struggles, preying on the weak, isolation, etc... But the game doesn't deserve a 6 or a political slant.

CyberMoose

Neo Member

Sonny Jim liked it a lot.

As for Far Cry I find it HILLARIOUS that polygon, forbes and even eurogamer are criticizing the diversity in this game while in the meantime have criticized him for being more historical accurate.
Double standards 101.

Last edited:
Top Bottom