• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 |OT| Welcome to Hope County

v0mitg0d

lol ok so...just had a great FC moment.

I tried to stealth some fools and right before I pulled the trigger, a bear and a damn Turkey showed up and then everything went sideways--so I made a video of it.

What about you guys? What's your most FC moment so far?

Some advice I would give to anyone starting the game.

After the tutorial island, work on getting all the guns for hire.
Just look at the map and if there is a face, go to it.
The missions aren't that hard, it is a great way to learn the game and its mechanics.
And the Outposts are much more interesting when you can send in a bear and cougar to create chaos.

Along the way do the Pepper Stashes to build up your perks.

This is the most important thing. Don't worry about grinding weird achievements with weapons. The Pepper Stashes will give you enough perk points so you can spec your character as you see fit.

IMO prioritize Grace and Jess. Jess can clear out entire outposts by herself while unnoticed like she's Ellie in TLOU. Grace can snipe drivers of vehicles and aircraft right out of their seats, even if they're not facing her (lol!). Wanna OHKO a helicopter? Tell Grace to do it.

On one hand i like that that you can't just completely ignore the story. It keeps going no matter what you do. But the way they implemented it, it breaks the pacing. And you can't avoid it.

It's weird. I like the game. I had fun. But i don't feel like playing anymore.

It is most certainly an interruption that is very much unwanted. I'm trying to do the objectives, and here's this obligatory "character development" thing. Also, being hunted no matter what? Get outta here.

sertopico

A couple of days ago I was wandering along the map and one of the allies gave me a mission via the transceiver, one second later it appeared on the screen the mission was completed even if I did nothing. Is that true you can lose story mission by advancing too much?

Cranberrys

A couple of days ago I was wandering along the map and one of the allies gave me a mission via the transceiver, one second later it appeared on the screen the mission was completed even if I did nothing. Is that true you can lose story mission by advancing too much?

Yes, I lost the liberating Fall's End story mission because apparently I liberated too many cult outposts on Holland Valley before moving to Fall's End to do that mission.

Doing Jacob's region. The fatigue/boredom is setting in.

This region is nowhere near as interesting. Jacob is nowhere near as interesting as John. Like, the game told me that I needed to fish for salmon to attract the bear as an ally? Yeah, not interested.

Oh snap, there's three special allies per region? Still missing one, sigh. I'll have to play some more later.

sertopico

Yes, I lost the liberating Fall's End story mission because apparently I liberated too many cult outposts on Holland Valley before moving to Fall's End to do that mission.
This really sucks. I really don't understand why they came up with this brilliant idea. Could be ok for side missions but not story missions.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Finished the game last weekend and it was a great game, I like the fact that they made it more like GTA and less like previous Farcrys, although it was still undeniably Farcry.

What I didn't like was the horrible multiplayer achievements/trophies. Admittedly, they could have been much worse, but they could have been better too. Although, really if not for the "winnin

My biggest personal gripe was weapon swiping display. I found this to be very intrusive. Accidentally picking up a weapon that I didn't want happened far too often. Countless times I was killed due to this. Ubisoft should patch in the option to turn it off. Afterall, it doesn't take too long to have the arsenal that you want.

I like that you were given complete freedom to complete the game in any order, but they gave you a bit too much freedom that caused the narrative to suffer. Points needed to take over a region where perhaps a bit too easy to come by. IN Johns region I was getting blitzed non-stop by VIP cultists, large trucks, outposts that I feasted on those for resistance points allowing me to get to the "forced capture" sections rather quickly, which apparently it locked me out of completing story missions. I had no idea that there was a story mission to take over Fall's End. All I know is that John was attacking that area and here I was talking to all these characters I had never done anything for. Freedom is nice, but this could have been handled a little better.

Now, its somewhat pointless to criticize a story in a Farcry game, but the "forced capture" sections were beyond stupid. Somehow afterall the havoc I caused to the main characters, they somehow have this magic bullet to easily capture me. I escape through some sort of dream sequence. Not to mention i personally found those dream sequence sections to be the most unfun part of the game.

I loved the Prepper Stash missions. Best part easily.

Somebody else mentioned it and I have to agree with the disappointing lack of weapons. Almost every weapon was simply a reskin of another. I pretty much had every weapon I wanted very early in the game.

Last edited:

Cranberrys

I think the mission design is not very good. In Holland Valley I lost a story mission because I decided to do some cult outposts first. I think they should have started by opening just the story missions in one area and then when this is done, open up the rest (sidequests, outposts, prepper stashes...). In Jacob's region that's what I decided to do, clean up the story missions first and then moving on, it works better that way I think from a narrative perspective.

sertopico

The more I go on with the story, the more disappointed I get. Right now I'm in Jacob's region and the forced kidnapping sequence is a joke. These nightmarish shooting sections are some of the ugliest I've ever played, looks like I'm playing another game. Even missions are mostly dull and boring, only few of them stand out and are fun to play. I indeed tried to give the game another chance, during the first hours I wasn't in fact convinced at all about its quality, but this last episode is like a rollercoaster, there are good missions filled up in between by repetitivity and boredom. After ACO I thought they could do much better than this, I was wrong... It's just a mediocre game, good to play for an hour or so from time to time. Of course, the environment is breathtaking, I like the companions, and, as I said, some missions are fun but it's not enough to keep my interest going.

I thought this happened to me too, but I got in a car, drove away from Fall's end and the notification of the showdown just randomly popped as i was driving away.

Zimmy68

Yes, another suggestion for vet Far Cry players starting a new game, hold off on liberating outposts.
1st, unlike FC4, there seems to be little benefit to doing them.
2nd, they are much more enjoyable after you unlock the perks you want.

I would hold off as long as you can until you unlock the 2 GFH perks.

I get a nice MGSV vibe having Boomer tagging everyone and Jess quietly taking them out while I watch.

^You can reset all outposts once you've liberated them all. I guess that's what i'll do now that i've beaten the game. Turn off the hud, set difficulty to hard and reset the outposts.

I loved the game at the beginning. But Jacob's region really feels underdeveloped. It has only 4 outposts. By the time i got the bear, hurk and the woman i had not much else to do.

DrCheese

The more I go on with the story, the more disappointed I get. Right now I'm in Jacob's region and the forced kidnapping sequence is a joke. These nightmarish shooting sections are some of the ugliest I've ever played, looks like I'm playing another game. Even missions are mostly dull and boring, only few of them stand out and are fun to play. I indeed tried to give the game another chance, during the first hours I wasn't in fact convinced at all about its quality, but this last episode is like a rollercoaster, there are good missions filled up in between by repetitivity and boredom. After ACO I thought they could do much better than this, I was wrong... It's just a mediocre game, good to play for an hour or so from time to time. Of course, the environment is breathtaking, I like the companions, and, as I said, some missions are fun but it's not enough to keep my interest going.

Exactly how I feel in one. I really, really hate the forced kidnapping bits - I can't even attempt to escape them which would be more realistic. The missions are dull & the enviroment is boring (I don't know why people are saying it's the best, Far cry 4 was beautiful, this is just drab) - I've completed Faith's area and now in Jacob's but I can't be bothered to carry on with the game right now. I don't know, it's just not enjoyable.

foxdvd

Just a heads up...you can now start a private MP game with 2 players only...this should make getting the 10 Featured MP wins MUCH easier to get...

Also, if you don't care about the 100 kills, or already have it, I think one person after starting the game can quit out and the other person gets the win...I have not confirmed this works yet, but it seems to.

Hostile_18

Banned
Anyone notice the sound stuttering every minute or so? Might be coincidence but it's always been fine, and was fine this morning, then tonight after installing the patch it's started (ps4 pro). Strange but main menu seems fine.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just a heads up...you can now start a private MP game with 2 players only...this should make getting the 10 Featured MP wins MUCH easier to get...

Also, if you don't care about the 100 kills, or already have it, I think one person after starting the game can quit out and the other person gets the win...I have not confirmed this works yet, but it seems to.
Oh wow. This is awesome.

SonicSleuth

I find the critics to be completely idiotic when discussing this game. Literally every review/discussion is what the critic THOUGHT they should have done, and why the game sucks because they didn't do that thing. I just finished the game and I loved it. Would I do some things differently? Probably. But I don't have ten million bucks to spend on developing a video game, so I'm just thankful that Ubisoft did it for me.

Go F yourself, critics. Not every game needs to be your particular wet dream.

120v

finished the game last night. pretty fun, close to being my favorite Far Cry but a few buzzkill moments. felt like the brakes were screeched too often to serve the story, which in the end paid off (dat ending) but i really hope the next game goes a little more freeform with the narrative, less interruptions, less villians spouting diatribes in my face and then predictably letting me live so i can kill them later, that kind of thing

haven't touched Arcade yet, hopefully that and the the DLC will make the mileage worthwhile (bought the Gold Edition)

sertopico

I find the critics to be completely idiotic when discussing this game. Literally every review/discussion is what the critic THOUGHT they should have done, and why the game sucks because they didn't do that thing. I just finished the game and I loved it. Would I do some things differently? Probably. But I don't have ten million bucks to spend on developing a video game, so I'm just thankful that Ubisoft did it for me.

Go F yourself, critics. Not every game needs to be your particular wet dream.
Wow, here's a perfect example of tolerance and constructive discussion. Maybe that's exactly why you are loving the game haha.

sertopico

Exactly how I feel in one. I really, really hate the forced kidnapping bits - I can't even attempt to escape them which would be more realistic. The missions are dull & the enviroment is boring (I don't know why people are saying it's the best, Far cry 4 was beautiful, this is just drab) - I've completed Faith's area and now in Jacob's but I can't be bothered to carry on with the game right now. I don't know, it's just not enjoyable.
That's the main issue the franchise has been always having, the loss of a thread which keeps everything connected in a coherent way. FC is more like a playground in which you get a taste of everything but in the end nothing is well developed.

Paasei

I am having a lot of fun with this game. Way more than I thought. I just killed my 2nd boss, which was army guy. All their names are so confusing I don't know who is who. John, Jacob and Joseph. Anyway, all that's left is Faith and her region for me before I can end the game. Hoping I saved the best for last.

SonicSleuth

Tolerance?

What the hell does tolerance have to do with anything? Critics are paid to give their opinion, I don't have to tolerate a bunch of garbage takes. In what reality are we supposed to just tolerate the nonsense other idiots say?

This particular moron, reviewing the game for Giant Bomb, seems to have not actually played the game: "The lack of conviction in Far Cry 5 permeates the entire product. It doesn't just make its bad guys feel like generic, uncharismatic cultists. The militias and other characters you befriend along the way are also just... there. Maybe it'd be interesting to know why this particular valley in Montana has multiple militias and what their whole deal is beyond "we're a militia and we hate this cult." Maybe it'd be nice if you occasionally met a meaningful character who wasn't already armed and talking about what's up with "their squad" mere days after the cult started going nuts. For as much as it's disappointing that the villains aren't given enough dramatic weight, the way the game portrays rural America is somehow even darker. Everyone is either crazy, stupid, or both. "

I'm not going to tolerate reviewers who just want to complain about what THEY would have done, without actually paying attention to what the actual game designers did. You can be toothless if you like, it's your life.

sertopico

I apologise then, I thought you were addressing your post to those who criticized the game in this thread, not the reviews. Regarding the latter, I always avoid them, I prefer reading opinions and watch a couple of videos to get my own idea of a game. Anyway, it is clear there is no perfect game, I just wrote it didn't fully meet my expectations since it is too dispersive and I'm not having that sense of progression that keeps me going on. Probably it's not the game for me, last FC i played was the third and I was disappointed as well. The game can be indeed fun, but AI and shooting are just not challenging, and these should be the core mechanics of a FPS.

Last edited:

bucyou

I can sit here and nitpick the game, but overall Im having a good time. Popping one of those herbs that shows the enemies then using grace to pick them off gave me flashbacks of Quiet, peaches is pretty badass as well.

I go from loving this game to raging hard. Earlier I was doing the mission where you have to
plant explosives on the gold caches and prevent them from being defused by the enemy.

Goddamn it, I was seething. Shot in the back so many times. I hate those kinds of missions in games in general. Still, it didn't annoy me enough to quit and I'm still playing, so you know the game is good. Just need to polish it off before God of War.

llien

Released worldwide on March 26, the PC version of Far Cry 5 has been cracked 19 days after its launch. Nevertheless, the Denuvo 5.0 protection served its purpose as the game sold nearly five million copies in its first week. What's more impressive, though, is that it took prolific warez group CPY less than three weeks to circumvent the game's multiple layers of DRM. Nevertheless, CPY's feat wasn't a complete walk in the park. According to the information provided by the Italian entity, Far Cry 5's cocktail of copy protections included Denuvo 5.0, EasyAntiCheat, uPlay, and VMProtect. Given the speedy release for this one, maybe CPY has finally discovered the secret to Denuvo's formula. Or perhaps Denuvo is starting to lose its touch.
Techpowerup

Zimmy68

I go from loving this game to raging hard. Earlier I was doing the mission where you have to
plant explosives on the gold caches and prevent them from being defused by the enemy.

Goddamn it, I was seething. Shot in the back so many times. I hate those kinds of missions in games in general. Still, it didn't annoy me enough to quit and I'm still playing, so you know the game is good. Just need to polish it off before God of War.

If that is the mission I think it is, I must have had good luck with it. I think I had Jess and Hamburger which gave the enemies plenty to do except worry about me.
I also felt it took them a long time to defuse. I had plenty of time to pay them a visit or send Cheesey over.

If that is the mission I think it is, I must have had good luck with it. I think I had Jess and Hamburger which gave the enemies plenty to do except worry about me.
I also felt it took them a long time to defuse. I had plenty of time to pay them a visit or send Cheesey over.
That's the one. I did it by myself because I'm stupid. :D

Finished the game this evening. I took the weakling way out and I liked the twist. Curiosity got the better of me and I googled the other ending. Interesting.

Last edited:

sertopico

I also finished the game, but yesterday. I really liked the ending, it fits perfectly with the whole series of events happening during the story...
Of course
it's a bit frustrating that after 50 hrs of gameplay all your efforts were useless. The message of the game is: doesn't matter what you do, you're gonna be screwed anyway!

Last edited:

Zimmy68

I finished John's region and am about 3/4 through Faith and the other guy. I have done their forced capture bs twice, hopefully those are the last ones until the boss fights.
It's odd how the game is so much easier near the end but I guess that is Far Cry.
I would have added a GTA San Andreas style Peggies retake outposts mode which I think Far Cry 3 might have had.

Yeah, Jacob's area is pretty sparse. The multiple kidnappings are ridiculous. I was piloting a helicopter at high altitude and some unseen hunter still managed to hit me with a dart. Hell of a shot.

Zimmy68

You can reset the outposts once you have cleared them all.
Yeah, I know but I would still like to be driving around John's area, after defeating him, and getting a call that one of the outposts are being attacked. You could go straight there and hold them off, or ignore and they take it over and it starts to smoke again.
The reset outpost is a great option but I would like something to jazz up already conquered area before the game ends.

I've been playing Far Cry 5 over the last week.

The game is stellar, the American setting was a stroke of genius, it's fun to just play the game as a "redneck simulator" goin' huntin', fishin' and four wheelin'

But nothing says "welcome to Hope County" like trying to fish while avoiding gunfire from an airplane.

KonradLaw

Finished it. Absolutely loved it. Easily the best entry in the series. Great setting. Not as believable as FC3 one, but it did far better job than FC4. The core gameplay in FC3-4 already was best in open-world genre, but FC5 further polished it up. The campaign structure was also a stroke of genius. Because of it each subboss felt like his own game. Each got a lot of development and exposure. You really got to know him/her before you took him down, which made the killing all that more impactful. I hope they will repeat this structure in next game.

Now, there were problems of course. The force capture bits were crap, especially since in one region you could actually evade them, which was fun as hell. Don't know why they didn't do the same for the other one. Also I would have liked more variables story-wise that take into account the order you took the family out. It's weird that other Seeds don't ackowledge that you killed their siblings. Also, it's painfully obvious the game was designed with Jacob's region being played first, because I finished it last and there were few very ackward moments there. Plus silent protag sucks. Brody was amazing because he had strong personality and played against villains. Here the silent empty protag is even more painful because of how colorful other characters are.

Anyway, those problems aside, I absolutely loved the game. The gameplay was just plain wonderful, the setting was magnificent and full of charm and I loved the story. Especially that Ubisoft had the balls to take it into such ending. And I laugh at some crazy journous that instead of just reporting what they saw invented separate serious game about murdering Trump supporters and then were dissapointed devs delivered another Far Cry.

Also, what a soundtrack. It's mindblowingly good . So many amazing themes and on top of that so many great hymns. Plus I love when games make me genuinelly feel something and it's another Far Cry to deliver on this front. Brody's descent into madness wowed me in FC3. FC4 made me disgusted at myself for slaughtering so many people and just making the situation worse. And in FC5 I felt remorse at
killing Faith, especially when at the very end the mask dropped and she turned out to be just a scared gitl"
, I felt horror at
the endgame with Jacob's mind games, especially since the nightmare levels perfectly followed the style of brainwashing that was explained through other missions.
and I also felt pure awe that Ubisoft had the balls to make the
cult be right about apocalypse in the end.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Crazy. I finished this game within a week of it coming out and have completely forgotten about it.

It was a fun game, but I feel it missed a lot of the fun stuff from the previous games and for better or worse it felt more like GTA than Farcry.

Still look forward to the DLC.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I would have added a GTA San Andreas style Peggies retake outposts mode which I think Far Cry 3 might have had.

Thank god youre not designing games, because I hate games that force you to go back and forth between defending and taking new areas. Always felt like a cheap tactic to artificially extend the length of a game.

Top Bottom