• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 |OT| Welcome to Hope County

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm also having this issue and it's the reason I've put this game aside at least for the time being. Frankly, I'm getting my ass handed to me even on the easiest difficulty setting. Previous Far Cry games haven't given me too much of a problem. I think the issue for me is enemy damage, and healing capabilities. I'm spending all of my money on body armor that doesn't seem to last, making the potion things, and still struggling badly with enemies that can kill me in just a few hits. I put all my perks into increasing my HP and also unlocked having multiple companions but it's not really helping.

The last straw for me was when I got locked into a "boss mission" or whatever it's called, and I had no health packs and no armor and I have to infiltrate a bunker full of heavy-armor types that I can't perform stealh-takedowns on. I can usually take out 4-5 of them before they inevitably get me. I spent nearly an hour trying different ways of completing that mission but ultimately got nowhere.

The game looks amazing and I absolutely love the story. But I can't even bring myself to boot this up again it's so frustrating.
I’m kind of confused as to why you’re having so much trouble. Are you even attempting to use cover or just running out into every fire fight? Do you upgrade or get new weapons? I agree those parts are annoying and certainly my least favorite part of the game, but they are doable.

Last edited:
Does everyone generally feel the same about the over aggressive/spawning AI?

I'm just not seeing it in my game. Seems just right. So I'm pretty confused...

Same here. Enemies seem pretty easy to avoid and never catch up if I try and run away. They also lose track of me easily, so I usually don't mind sticking around and finishing them off. I've tried to play Far Cry many times and always thought they were difficult, not the case with 5. Does anyone try and use stealth?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I’m kind of confused as to why you’re having so much trouble. Are you even attempting to use cover or just running out into every fire fight? Do you upgrade or get new weapons? I agree those parts are annoying and certainly my least favorite part of the game, but they are doable.

I'm not really sure either, at first I thought maybe it some some kind of bug with the difficulty slider - these random guys shouldn't be doing 40%-50% of my HP in damage every shot when I have body armor on, but they do. Tactically, I've tried to go with as much stealth as possible since I've learned that alerting enemies is a quick way to die. All of the outposts I've liberated in the first area have been either 100% stealth, or close to it. Disabling alarms, knife throw kills, stealth takedowns, etc. I have a silenced pistol and some kind of automatic weapon I can use if shit gets crazy.

The enemies I'm having trouble with specifically I guess are called "Heavy"s. Armor and a helmet, and I can't perform takedowns on them and have yet to find a way to kill them in stealth. Since killing them typically involves dynamite or a couple of clips from my auto-weapon, it blows my stealth and others come in and attack and kill me pretty easily. Usually if it comes down to a shooting match between me and them, they will kill me before I can empty my clip. I shoot for the head (to try and knock their helmet off) to attempt headshots, but again if I try and match them in a firefight it never goes my way. I finally gave up on the mission
right after John Seed dies, and I have to infiltrate his bunker and liberate the people he was holding
. Lots of heavys (4-5 outside, maybe another 3 or so inside, possibly more since I have yet to go all the way through it).

It's kind of discouraging that the most information I can find online about it is "lol git gud" and Kotaku's "this game is easy - you probably want to increase the difficulty slider to max once you get off the first island" which again make me think that somehow my game is just bugged. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for this shit. ;)

Gediminas

Banned
I'm not really sure either, at first I thought maybe it some some kind of bug with the difficulty slider - these random guys shouldn't be doing 40%-50% of my HP in damage every shot when I have body armor on, but they do. Tactically, I've tried to go with as much stealth as possible since I've learned that alerting enemies is a quick way to die. All of the outposts I've liberated in the first area have been either 100% stealth, or close to it. Disabling alarms, knife throw kills, stealth takedowns, etc. I have a silenced pistol and some kind of automatic weapon I can use if shit gets crazy.

The enemies I'm having trouble with specifically I guess are called "Heavy"s. Armor and a helmet, and I can't perform takedowns on them and have yet to find a way to kill them in stealth. Since killing them typically involves dynamite or a couple of clips from my auto-weapon, it blows my stealth and others come in and attack and kill me pretty easily. Usually if it comes down to a shooting match between me and them, they will kill me before I can empty my clip. I shoot for the head (to try and knock their helmet off) to attempt headshots, but again if I try and match them in a firefight it never goes my way. I finally gave up on the mission
right after John Seed dies, and I have to infiltrate his bunker and liberate the people he was holding
. Lots of heavys (4-5 outside, maybe another 3 or so inside, possibly more since I have yet to go all the way through it).

It's kind of discouraging that the most information I can find online about it is "lol git gud" and Kotaku's "this game is easy - you probably want to increase the difficulty slider to max once you get off the first island" which again make me think that somehow my game is just bugged. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for this shit. ;)

use speed boost and resistance for damage. it will help a lot to run faster and take much more damage before you need to use medkit plus c4 can help a lot.

The enemies I'm having trouble with specifically I guess are called "Heavy"s. Armor and a helmet, and I can't perform takedowns on them and have yet to find a way to kill them in stealth. Since killing them typically involves dynamite or a couple of clips from my auto-weapon, it blows my stealth and others come in and attack and kill me pretty easily.

For heavy's I use a sniper rifle with suppressor. For the weaker sniper rifles you need to shoot of their helmet then can shoot them anywhere. The 50 cal snipers can shoot them in the body (sometimes need to be done twice). I can usually do that "stealfully with the suppressor). I haven't tried it yet, but I've read the MG's (M60 or M249) with suppressors will take them down as well.

The flame throwers guys, shoot them in the tank first.

edit: yes the heavy's can wipe me out easily, need to avoid their MG fire
edit2: I forgot to add, use armor piercing rounds on heavies.

Last edited:

Fnord

Same here. Enemies seem pretty easy to avoid and never catch up if I try and run away. They also lose track of me easily, so I usually don't mind sticking around and finishing them off. I've tried to play Far Cry many times and always thought they were difficult, not the case with 5. Does anyone try and use stealth?

Stealth and bows+silenced sniper rifles. I'm almost through with the first Lieutenant's area and haven't found it terribly difficult. I've found myself in untenable situations once in a blue moon, but other than that, I can usually clear out a stronghold undetected from afar. Especially with the heavy duty sniper rifle. I switched back to the starter sniper, though, due to magazine capacity. Fewer trips back to load up on ammo.

Denton

This game looks fucking nice. Disabling almost all HUD is a must. I wish I could have ingame hand held map though.

farcry5_2018_04_02_229kutv.png

farcry5_2018_04_02_18r5s7c.png

farcry5_2018_04_02_18eqsb0.png

sertopico

Yeah on close ups it looks nice, but the LOD distance is embarassing, that is why it runs so good, performance wise.

PS: what happened to the waterfall reflection in the last pic? I find the implementation of SSR very poor and aggressive, reflections disappear so fast by moving the camera.

This game looks fucking nice. Disabling almost all HUD is a must. I wish I could have ingame hand held map though.
This is a must for games going forward. Don't make the game unplayable just because I want to go with a minimalist HUD and do an immersive playthrough. Games being designed around HUD elements that people would want to disable is a huge mistake and unfortunately it has ruined a lot of really cool games that I would have loved otherwise.

Denton

This is a must for games going forward. Don't make the game unplayable just because I want to go with a minimalist HUD and do an immersive playthrough. Games being designed around HUD elements that people would want to disable is a huge mistake and unfortunately it has ruined a lot of really cool games that I would have loved otherwise.
Yeah. Having to pause the game for viewing the map is a bummer. And the default UI is so insanely busy and annoying and completely unnecessary. Ubi are just morons when it comes to this stuff. I wish and hope Clint Hocking being back there will have good influence on this.

Last edited:

Joho79

I agree with this. Seems like every fucking vehicle on the road is the enemy and they instantly know it's me and start taking pot shots. Has every single member of the cult been issued with my photograph? It makes just driving from point A to point B a chore.

Agree with this. I’m loving the game but seriously, I can’t even enjoy a little fishing without getting bombed by an airplane. They really mean business with wanting me dead.

Mathrin

Agree with this. I’m loving the game but seriously, I can’t even enjoy a little fishing without getting bombed by an airplane. They really mean business with wanting me dead.

It was like this for me until I finished the first third of the story
once you Kill John
and now the skies are clear. It was testing my patience though before I did that final set of missions.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The last straw for me was when I got locked into a "boss mission" or whatever it's called, and I had no health packs and no armor and I have to infiltrate a bunker full of heavy-armor types that I can't perform stealh-takedowns on. I can usually take out 4-5 of them before they inevitably get me. I spent nearly an hour trying different ways of completing that mission but ultimately got nowhere.
I had some issue at this part as well, mostly due to the fact that I was stuck with a sniper rifle and sub-machine gun (seriously Ubi, let us change our load out before forcing us into these types of missions). You kind of have to brute force it like you say (no stealth). There are enemies near the start with shotguns and LMG's luckily, so just Molotov them and used those guns to get through the rest.

The enemies I'm having trouble with specifically I guess are called "Heavy"s.
If you haven't yet, unlock the Black Market perk. This will allow you to buy armor piercing rounds in the gun shops. Find a gun that can use said rounds, switch ammo types in the radial, and you will have much better success taking down the heavies.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've had it with the multiplayer in this game. I have been trying for hours to get into a "featured" map so I can get the achievement for 10 wins, but I keep getting dropped into the same goddamn shitty maps designed by amateurs.

It would be a lot better if there was a way I could filter out the matchmaking so that I can only enter matches that meet my specific criteria. Instead, it just dumps you in random spots.

sertopico

It was like this for me until I finished the first third of the story
once you Kill John
and now the skies are clear. It was testing my patience though before I did that final set of missions.
Thank god. Those airplane are driving me nuts.

Just bought my attack chopper last night, still having so much fun with this game. Flew around and liberated a couple outposts, stayed in the helicopter and reigned down machine gun fire and rockets to take back the outposts. Also much easier when they send an attack chopper or plane of their own, blew a few of those out of the sky as well.

I just finished the first 3rd and I have to say that the
Final part at the top of the nuclear silo
that's some bullshit right there.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Fuck the multiplayer in this game. I don't play much multiplayer, so maybe this is the norm, but who in their goddamn mind designed it so that whenever I select multiplayer it just drops me into any match instead of allowing me to specifically set the map/game type I am looking for. For example, I want to do team deathmatch in the featured maps so I can get the win 10 featured maps achievement. Why can't I just set those as the specifications and wait to see if one of those maps opens up? I'd imagine other people are trying to do the same. I keep getting dropped in user generated crap. Maps where shovels are the only weapon seem to be the norm.

Also, why is it that whenever I play I notice the sometimes the player doesn't have a name over their head and it becomes very difficult to determine friend and foe. Is this the norm in multiplayer?

Hendrick's

I just finished the first 3rd and I have to say that the
Final part at the top of the nuclear silo
that's some bullshit right there.
It was a bit cheap. I just stayed to the outside wall running from cover to cover and shotgunning fools until they were thinned out enough for me to run away.

Artistic

Throughly pleased with the game so far. A lot more expansive than I expected, find tons of new characters and side missions at every corner.

Small gripe would be the lack of variety in NPC characters, but not much I could nitpick on right now. Probably put in 10+ hours.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Finished the first area, still loving it.

Remains to be seen if the next two areas can distinguish themselves enough to keep it interesting. I hope so!

Calibos

Just ran across this vid comparing FC 5 to FC 2...

It's amazing how great FC 2 really was in a lot of areas. I love FC5, but some of those details I would love to have.

Last edited:

sertopico

Yeah, FC2 had a lot of fine details other games never had, apart from Crysis, which was its direct competitor, and I think that was the main reason why they put so many efforts into these kind of things...

DrCheese

Is part 2 worth playing today? It's the only one (with the exception of Primal) that I haven't played.
No. It's an ok game but it's flaws were annoying at the time - Hours upon hours of driving everywhere, first to point A, then to point B on the other side of the damn map (With badguys chasing you constantly) - Annoying guns that degrade and Jam, along with outposts that respawn guards the second you leave draw range. You work for both sides yet as it's all "secret" everyone tries to kill you. Oh and stupid need to get Malaria tablets for use every 30/40 minutes else the game dumps you back at a church/doctors. I just gave up with it

No. It's an ok game but it's flaws were annoying at the time - Hours upon hours of driving everywhere, first to point A, then to point B on the other side of the damn map (With badguys chasing you constantly) - Annoying guns that degrade and Jam, along with outposts that respawn guards the second you leave draw range. You work for both sides yet as it's all "secret" everyone tries to kill you. Oh and stupid need to get Malaria tablets for use every 30/40 minutes else the game dumps you back at a church/doctors. I just gave up with it
Ok, cool. I think I'll avoid that one.

sertopico

Is part 2 worth playing today? It's the only one (with the exception of Primal) that I haven't played.
Too much respawn, it was almost unbearable.
But it also had many realistic elements that made me like it nonetheless, there was a great freedom in approaching missions and the IA wasn't that terrible. MP was fun as well.

Last edited:

EBE

I still really enjoy it, playing it through Xbox bc. No heroics, just awful people doing awful things in an unforgiving place. Weapon degradation was fine (and weapon selection great) and the malaria isn't a big issue. It's definitely built around 'lanes' or highways of movement (as opposed to real freeform movement) which often leads to too many encounters with outposts of guys who absolutely don't stop trying to kill you, ever. But I liked even that. there is no rest, war consumes everything like a wild fire, even good men (although what exactly a good man is in a place and situation like this is one of the questions asked by the games narrative). Worth a try

Artistic

I have a feeling if you played one Far Cry, you've pretty much played them all.

Just have to be interested in the gameplay and theme.

MayauMiao

I have a feeling if you played one Far Cry, you've pretty much played them all.

Just have to be interested in the gameplay and theme.

I'm still playing Far Cry 5 but its pretty much the same except the added A.I controlled team mates. Can't wait for the Season Pass.

Hendrick's

After more time with this, I can safely say this is the best FC to date in just about every way. From the villains, to minute to minute gameplay, humor, and the immense world detail, this game is top notch. Having a ton of fun.

6Kq28AN.jpg

I'm really enjoying it so far. It plays really smooth and the different story and side missions flow together nicely. The UI isn't as intrusive as in other UBI games and I really like the 3D map that isn't clustered with a metric ton of icons. Sometimes I die due to some really unfortunate 'accidents', but the well implemented save system always keeps me going. The story is serviceable and the characters are interesting enough. What really sells it is the amazing scenery and the well rounded gameplay.

Although I have some minor gripes with how the main story progresses. Especially the 'kidnapping missions' where the baddies seem to be able to capture you at will, no matter if you're in a safe spot or flying high above in a helicopter. They don't really jive with the otherwise impeccable gameflow. Jacob's missions are especially grating. Like, I get what they are trying to do, but I don't find playing the same hallucinogenic sequence again and again particularly appealing.

I've had some weird physics bugs here and there, which is especially funny when you climb out of the helicopter only to be ripped to shreds by the heli-blades. The garage and vehicle shop is a bit of a letdown. There are two or so vehicles with automatic guns and I have to wonder if there is any reason to even buy another car once you've unlocked one of them. The same goes for the helicopters and airplanes. The wingsuit is also a bit meh, compared to the one in Just Cause 3, I hardly ever use it.

Also I'd prefer if the environment would be a little bit more interactive and destructible. Trees, building and props really don't react all that much, which is a bit of a bummer. On the bright side, I must admit that the game runs flawlessly on my PC. It feels well optimized and even stuff like alt-tabbing goes without a hitch.

But man, the whole Seed family is seriously messed up. Some of their dialogue really gives you the creeps, it's quite engrossing so far. Would recommend.

I think John is the scariest one of the bunch. Jacob seems to be... there for his brother, but not really feeling it. And Faith "hippy princess" façade is just weird. John, though, has the whole "Far Cry antagonist" package - buff, torturer, batshit crazy, thousand-year stare, abusive childhood and rapey undertones.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Is there any way to alert enemies to draw them towards you like Mafia 3, Horizon, or Assassin's Creed? I always end up alerting a group by accident

sertopico

You can throw stones.

Anyway, I also started the game facing John, and I'm not done yet, after more than 20hrs in the game. Do I miss smth by killing them in the "wrong" order?

Last edited:

Hendrick's

You can throw stones.

Anyway, I also started the game facing John, and I'm not done yet, after more than 20hrs in the game. Do I miss smth by killing them in the "wrong" order?
No. And John is intended to be done first. You certainly will want to finish John once the air-force is let loose.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I finished the game. Soo many things were unnecessarily frustrating. The boss fights sucks, I hated the super human or illusion aspects. The constant kidnappings were dumb and forced. The edning was interesting, but it all made no sense, none of this stuff could ever happen, so you have to suspend disbelief.

I like the geography, side kicks and side missions. I'd give the game a 7.5. The FC formula is getting stale, they need to shake it up a bit.

sertopico

It is exactly like FC3 then. A group of rich frat kids fly to an island, get kidnapped and one of them turns into Rambo, he thinks he's the chosen one, fucks a random girl who thinks is the leader of a tribe and dies. Makes no sense. Oh, in the meantime he also takes care of a drug lord who has an entire army at his service.

About the boss fights, are they the same as the third (hallucinations, QTE, done)?

Last edited:

Zimmy68

In FC3 I felt hopelessly lost and surrounded. All of my friends were being kidnapped and tortured and I had to find and help them. There was a lot at stake it seemed.

Far Cry 5 is a hillbilly murder simulator where you play as an action movie star.

That said, I am loving FC5.

Faith>John>Jacob.

Unfortunately the order i chose was John, Faith, Jacob. And i'm kind of bored now.

I started with John, and wanted to do Faith next since her...fanatical indoctrination division...is infinitely more interesting than Jacob's enforcer paradigm. But since reading your post, I decided to go with Jacob next so that I wouldn't be bored with the last leg of the game.

I'm glad I did. I basically 100% John's area (I ain't looking for no lighters and comics) before moving on, and the whole "every region has an underground resistance, and you also get captured every time you piss off the region's lieutenant" mechanics are already wearing down on me, just 10 hours into the game.

Zimmy68

Some advice I would give to anyone starting the game.

After the tutorial island, work on getting all the guns for hire.
Just look at the map and if there is a face, go to it.
The missions aren't that hard, it is a great way to learn the game and its mechanics.
And the Outposts are much more interesting when you can send in a bear and cougar to create chaos.

Along the way do the Pepper Stashes to build up your perks.

I started with John, and wanted to do Faith next since her...fanatical indoctrination division...is infinitely more interesting than Jacob's enforcer paradigm. But since reading your post, I decided to go with Jacob next so that I wouldn't be bored with the last leg of the game.

I'm glad I did. I basically 100% John's area (I ain't looking for no lighters and comics) before moving on, and the whole "every region has an underground resistance, and you also get captured every time you piss off the region's lieutenant" mechanics are already wearing down on me, just 10 hours into the game.

On one hand i like that that you can't just completely ignore the story. It keeps going no matter what you do. But the way they implemented it, it breaks the pacing. And you can't avoid it.

It's weird. I like the game. I had fun. But i don't feel like playing anymore.

Top Bottom