• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 |OT| Welcome to Hope County

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
pjimage_3.jpg

Developer: Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft Toronto
Publisher: Ubisoft
Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Windows
Release Date: March 27, 2018

Welcome to Hope County, Montana, land of the free and thebrave, but also home to a fanatical doomsday cult—known as The Project atEden’s Gate—that is threatening the community's freedom. Stand up to the cult’sleaders, Joseph Seed and the Heralds, as you spark the fires of resistance thatwill liberate the besieged community.
https://far-cry.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/home/

pjimage_2.jpg

Release Trailer:
Far Cry 5 Arcade Trailer:

Dan Romer’s soundtrack is fucking amazeballs. Basically what pushed me over the edge to get the game. And here I was thinking I was all Ubi’d out. Nope.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Far Cry Arcade actually sounds really cool. Wonder if it will be embraced by the map making community or not.

I've got this reserved at the Redbox on my way home from work. Can't wait to give it a go! I watched the first hour of a let's play and it looks like Far Cry 5 might be the refresh the series needs. The intro was really slick and the graphics look much improved over 4 at least.

Gold_Loot

Welp. I just pulled the trigger on the PC version! Looking forward to cranking this to hard and going nuts in Hope county.

Side note: I’m right leaning (center right really) and also raised Christian so I’m really interested in how they handle these things in this game. I’m also interested in cults and how creepy they could be. Should be fun stuff.

cryogenic7

I’m right leaning (center right really) and also raised Christian so I’m really interested in how they handle these things in this game. I’m also interested in cults and how creepy they could be. Should be fun stuff.
I am right leaning/Christian as well and so far it's been tastefully handled imo. There are conservative and Christian characters in the game that are good guys etc. Fantastic game so far! Playing on PC Ultra settings...

Last edited:
Look forward to getting my copy tomorrow, was going to get it today, but shit happens....and in this case the shit was me making 1,020$. :cool:

Codes 208

Bought my copy on a whim. Looking forward to all the types of shenangians that ive seen some youtubers get into.

Kind of a tame OT though. Could use some spice like "Come for the country, stay for the Cheeseburger", "Did i ever tell you what the definition of sinning is?" or "Honey Badger not included."

Twinsen343

Bit strapped for cash currently, so used some crypto I do a little bit of mining and thought I would treat myself, had to jump through a few hoops but was surprisingly an easy process to deposit funds to steam wallet

Can't wait to game!

MarcelDG88

Neo Member
I'm on the fence if i want to buy this game or not. I'm kinda over the ubisoft "here are 5 million collectables on the map" games, i really like the story in the ubi games but a map full of treasure locations is kinda putting me off. Is Far cry 5 one of those games?, or is it more "breath of the wild" treasure chest style. i.e. they are not market on the map but they are scattered around the world for you to find? Or does the map get littered with treasure after liberating stuff.

How many story missions does the game have? i know in 4 and in primal in the journal you could find that you completed x of 35 missions. I don't know if that's in 5, but if it is how many does it state?

Im stll in awe how ridiculously gorgeous this gm looks and flawlessly runs on the X..HDR10+4KUHD=I've never seen anything like it, whole nature and the county becomes alive, the fog effects on the OLED leves you breathless.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm on the fence if i want to buy this game or not. I'm kinda over the ubisoft "here are 5 million collectables on the map" games, i really like the story in the ubi games but a map full of treasure locations is kinda putting me off. Is Far cry 5 one of those games?, or is it more "breath of the wild" treasure chest style. i.e. they are not market on the map but they are scattered around the world for you to find? Or does the map get littered with treasure after liberating stuff.

How many story missions does the game have? i know in 4 and in primal in the journal you could find that you completed x of 35 missions. I don't know if that's in 5, but if it is how many does it state?

Your main objective is the cult, so you have to find ways to liberate their presence from the land. You'll take down outpost and other parts on the map
"3 ways total"
, which opens areas up for the rest of the residents. I felt like I was doing more searching than I was looking at hundreds of points on the map.
I really enjoy driving an ATV down a county road, guns blazing at an armed person driving a tractor. The graphics look great.

I have no clue how many missions there are. I don't want to know that type of thing until I actually get to play the game.

There are three large areas on the map that are controlled by Joseph's family. You can start on either route.

Last edited:

Mathrin

Really enjoying it so far. A bit gutted that they seem to have taken the framerate mode out of the final console release though... Hoping it gets patched back in at a later date.

Last edited:
This game is creepy I tell you. In Far Cry 3 you were alone in the jungle fighting against pirates, tigers and cassowarys, but you felt like a badass. Here you're in flyover country surrounded by apple orchards, granaries and boat houses and you feel totally screwed. If that's what we're going for, kudos.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Anyone else not noticing Aim Assist on PC whilst using a gamepad?

I feel no pull whatsoever, in comparison, Destiny 2 on PC with gamepad feels fantastic and has the same 'pull' aim assist as console.

MarcelDG88

Neo Member
Your main objective is the cult, so you have to find ways to liberate their presence from the land. You'll take down outpost and other parts on the map
"3 ways total"
, which opens areas up for the rest of the residents. I felt like I was doing more searching than I was looking at hundreds of points on the map.
I really enjoy driving an ATV down a county road, guns blazing at an armed person driving a tractor. The graphics look great.

I have no clue how many missions there are. I don't want to know that type of thing until I actually get to play the game.

There are three large areas on the map that are controlled by Joseph's family. You can start on either route.
So its more side objectives than Main objectives from what you played this time around? I would almost say its a big departure for ubisoft to dump the "radio tower liberated get everything on the map" strategy. AC origins is just like FC5 in that way right?

It's done in a more organic way. You save a civilian. He/she tells you about a point of interest. It gets marked on your map. Same thing when you see a sign, read a map.
This time i don't feel the map and hud are cluttered with a bazillion icons.

Anyone else not noticing Aim Assist on PC whilst using a gamepad?

I feel no pull whatsoever, in comparison, Destiny 2 on PC with gamepad feels fantastic and has the same 'pull' aim assist as console.

Well, bungie is the king of aim assist. No other game feels like destiny.

But i can feel the aim assist in FC5 when i hold the aim trigger. Also i have this feeling that the game has some bullet magnetism or bigger hitboxes because many times i hit the enemies despite my aiming being off.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This game is tits. Seriously good. Might even be one of the best looking games this gen. Love it. Oh and not enough is said about the input. The latency on aiming and input is damn good. I was fooled into thinking it was 60fps, its that good. Coming from some other games, its like... Wow...

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So its more side objectives than Main objectives from what you played this time around? I would almost say its a big departure for ubisoft to dump the "radio tower liberated get everything on the map" strategy. AC origins is just like FC5 in that way right?
There was a radio tower, but that's the only one I saw so far. If you see something with the cult logo then you go and investigate. I rescued a few people and I could hire them as my gunner. You can help the Resistance with certain missions, but I haven't seen any of them yet. I'm clearing out as many outposts as I can to get a better feel of the game and to get better weapons.

I do like the environment. I made my car explode by driving into this cult structure last night thinking I could tumble out of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So is this Far Cry a lot more hostile than previous games or is it just me? Seems like I can't go anywhere without getting attacked. Overall it's a fun game, though I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the new systems work.

So is this Far Cry a lot more hostile than previous games or is it just me? Seems like I can't go anywhere without getting attacked. Overall it's a fun game, though I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the new systems work.

The enemies are definitely super aggressive and come after you pretty often which is really similar to FC2. The flip side is they go down with a couple shots and are generally pretty stupid.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The enemies are definitely super aggressive and come after you pretty often which is really similar to FC2. The flip side is they go down with a couple shots and are generally pretty stupid.
Yeah, now that you mention it, it does feel more like FC 2.

Calibos

ohh wow, is this the best looking third party game on ps4??

As of right now, it's the best looking game I have on X1X. However, Hellblade is coming Aprill 11th so I guess it will be short lived. This games environments are completely gorgeous.

zephiross

This game is really clicking with me. I was really worried at first because I found Far Cry 4 to be boring beyond what I could endure (not sure I even got to the half of the game) but this just feels right and the graphics are amazing.

Moreover, the game runs really well on my system. I'm playing at 70% 4k (wich is roughtly 3200x1800 if I'm right) with almost everything on max except volumetric fog and shadows wich are respectively on Medium and High at an almost perfectly stable 60fps (like 99.5% of the time) on a 7700K and an overclocked 1070 (Core 2100 - Memory 4450) . This coupled with HDR on my LG OLED makes it one of the (if not "the") best looking game available !

There are a few bugs here and there (game crashed once; one NPC flew into the air after shooting a bullet at him, wich was pretty funny, HDR is not working correctly with refresh rate above 60 Hz (LG C7 can display 120Hz at 1080p)) but so far it has been an awsome gaming experience even for someone like me who is getting tired of open-worlds.

Maybe if I had one real complaint about the game so far, it's that some ennemies are bullet spongy. I'm not talking about the heavy enemies which are tanks beacause that's what they're meant to be, but some ennemies that are under the influence of drugs and will rush you half naked with a shotgun. They take much more bullets to go down than what I'd like given their appearence. I get that they are drugged and might not feel the pain, but having to empty 2 magazines on them is just to much, especially when you can't carry a lot of ammo on you (which is, on the other hand, something I really like).

Man it sucks coming into work today. First time in a long long time where I really just wanted to stay home and play. It has its hooks in me pretty fuckin bad.

He0POzK.jpg

Best dog buddy since D-Dog in MGSV

He0Qhvs.jpg

download

Beautiful fucking game

The towers are kind of there. They just don't reveal the map and are not towers. But the problem solving mechanics are similar. I'm talking about
prepper stashes

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Did a reinstall now aim assist works great on gamepad, just for anybody else who felt it wasn't working for them using gamepad on PC :)

Played about half an hour before bed. Awesome start to the game and it looks great in 4K.

I saw the headline regarding the early alternative finish (there was something similar in FC4) and I'm already wondering if I've missed it.

Last edited:
Played about half an hour before bed. Awesome start to the game and it looks great in 4K.

I saw the headline regarding the early alternative finish (there was something similar FC4) and I'm already wondering if I've missed it.

Yeah when you get the prompt to put the cuffs on Seed, don’t do it. Just stand there.

No trophy or anything though.

Droxcy

Been allocating disk space for the last 30 minutes....thank god i have good internet. I want to play already.

Welp. I just pulled the trigger on the PC version! Looking forward to cranking this to hard and going nuts in Hope county.

Side note: I’m right leaning (center right really) and also raised Christian so I’m really interested in how they handle these things in this game. I’m also interested in cults and how creepy they could be. Should be fun stuff.

Is this game supposed to be educational?

KPunk

Damn, Just played for about an hour or so of the game. So far, I am really enjoying it. This game is incredibly optimized on PC, job well done Ubisoft.

Last edited:

Nny7229

There are a lot of collectable type things. Lots of side missions. Lots of stuff to do. Fills that open world itch I get here and there. Sounds like you might want to avoid it though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I saw the headline regarding the early alternative finish (there was something similar FC4) and I'm already wondering if I've missed it.
Yeah you did miss it. I did it and I didn't think I did much to deserve it. It makes sense and it's not bad at all. You'll probably laugh when you find out how to do it. I honestly wanted to jump to the campaign the moment it happened.

Those vans make me feel like I'm in this giant mental ward. lol like I'm going crazy seeing this cult everywhere.

Ever read the comic Crossed? Thats what the cult sorta reminds me of lol

Last edited:

GC_DALBEN

Im playing the pc version and it runs very good on my 970, 1080p high 60fps. Im having a lot of fun in this game, 2 hours in and its GOOD!

Nice OT, i dont know why we dont have that many OTs anymore :).

Last edited:

sertopico

What about enemy respawn? Is that well balanced? How the progression in the main story works? I am concerned about these two points, is it too repetitive?

While im loving this game and prob the best open world shooter game ive played in years, the only gripe I have is with all the baddies look the same. 5 hours in and I see the same 3 - 5 baddies everywhere. in some hideouts many duplicates. wtf ubisoft a game this good should not have so many duplicate NPCs!

Top Bottom