• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy War Tactics R |OT| F2P Mobile SRPG Season 2: Sia Continent

Fishious

P1RKIYl.png

What is Fantasy War Tactics R?

Fantasy War Tactics R is an update to Fantasy War Tactics that has completely overhauled the game's UI, streamlined many of the gameplay systems, and introduces the second season of story content. To celebrate the occasion the game is giving away crystals (the game's premium currency), a new 5 star character, and tickets for your choice of equipment sets! This makes it an ideal time for new or lapsed players to join.

fV73c7O.png

Use a team of up to 5 heroes to defeat enemies on classic SRPG style maps. Despite being a mobile game, FWT has similar mechanical depth to console SRPGs with a variety of subsystems including terrain effects and advantage, directional advantage, and a rock, paper, scissors typing system. Characters can level up, be given equipment, augment their stats or gain status resistance with Potentials, and get skill augmentations through Soul Gear.

Progress through World Conquest mode to earn new characters and learn the story of the Lord's battle for world domination. Challenge the Tower of Dawn on 3 difficulty modes to earn useful rewards including an exclusive hero and a guaranteed equipment set. Play through side stories defending NPC from waves of enemies in the Library in the Sky for currency to use in the library shop. Earn strong heroes over the weekend or during special events from the limited time Lost Island.

You can also fight against other player's AI teams in Battle of Honor for weekly rewards including crystals or fight increasingly strong teams with no healing between rounds in Dimensional Breakthrough.

ck4kLxe.png

A young wizard succeeds in cloning an ancient warrior-hero, declares himself to be her lord, and begins his first steps toward world domination. Only it turns out while he was holed up in his lab some jerks calling themselves the World Reformation Council already beat him to it! They've placed administrators across the islands of the Arc Continent to enforce martial law over the territories. Can a clone, a cat person, and a muscle wizard free the world from the Council's nefarious grasp so that the Lord actually conquer something?

The story plays out as you progress through World Conquest mode. Each island has stages that must be completed in order, with scenario stages after every 3-6 normal maps which progress the plot, as well as Boss stages which pit the party against one of the World Reformation Council administrators. Many characters also have recruitment scenes that show how they join the party and after being recruited short skits under the ”Story" tab unlock showing how various characters interact with one another.

t7XWa3N.png

The lord has amassed a great deal of power, but a new threat emerges from a strange being who had been manipulating the World Reformation Council. It brands the Lord with a curse that no known magic can remove, but a stranger from the continent of Sia arrives claiming to know a way to remove the brand. The Lord, Chris, and Ian travel east across the ocean to an unknown land where new peril awaits.

EGjvzdc.png

Heroes are the units you deploy in battle. Unlike many other F2P games heroes are unlocked 1) By progressing the story 2) Grinding for genes to unlock them 3) Purchased directly using crystals for specific collaboration heroes. No rolling involved or gacha for heroes. Heroic genes are earned by beating certain levels (usually that hero's boss level) and genes always drop. There's some randomization in exactly how many drop and more genes drop on higher difficulties, but you'll always get something for your effort.

A hero can be from 1 star to 5 star, with a new star "6 star " awakened form being newly introduced in this latest update. To raise a unit's star rank, they must be at their current level cap and require a certain amount of rebirth materials plus gold. Completing the rebirth raises them one star rank and resets them to level one. However each rank increases their stats, unlocks new skills/cooperation partners, raises the level cap, and allows a new tier of equipment to be used.

VDgsFJE.png

This is the part that uses the gacha. Normal equipment can be obtained by beating stages. However there is also rare set equipment which, when you have 2 or more pieces of equipment from the same set equipped give bonus effects to the hero. This is mainly obtained through set equipment summoning which costs crystals and sometimes outputs set equipment, but can also give normal tier equipment. Each set pull gives 3 pieces of equipment: a weapon, armor, and accessory. Players get 1 free pull per day, with additional pulls costing 120 crystals or 1200 for 10 with a guaranteed 4 star. Equipment comes in the following ranks.
1*: Normal equipment with no special effects.
2*: Formerly known as platinum equipment. This is obtained by destroying equipment through extraction. Each time the gauge is filled the player gets one random piece of platinum equipment or a single set item. Gives small % bonus to specific stats. Can be transcended up to +12.
3*: A new tier added with the season 2 update. This is set equipment that gives extra raw stats for having 2 or 3 pieces of the same set. Can drop from beating stages or from the gacha. Can be transcended up to +15.
4*: Formerly A rank equipment. Gives extra stats or other minor special effects for having 2 or 3 pieces of the same set. Maybe slightly better than 3*, though less abundant. Mainly from gacha or set tickets.
5*: Formerly S rank equipment. Gives extra stats and other useful special effects for having 2 or 3 pieces of the same set. These sets can drastically alter the abilities of a hero and enable specific builds. Mainly from gacha or set tickets.
6*: Formerly SS rank equipment. Gives lots of extra stats and fantastic special effects 2 or 3 pieces of the same set. A hero with SS sets has a huge advantage and enable some of the best builds for specific heroes. Mainly from gacha or set tickets.

SCY0dhW.png

Just to be clear, this is nothing like an MMO guild raid.

Players can form guilds with up to 20 members. There are 7 raid bosses, one for each day of the week and each day guild members individually challenge the boss with a team of 5 plus one mercenary character belonging to another guild member. These battles are automatic with the player only setting the initial deployment for the characters and activating the lord skill as needed. Each time the boss's HP is reduced to 0, it respawns as a more powerful version. The objective is to get as high a score as possible before the boss defeats you. Players receive rewards for the rank they achieve individually as well as how their guild fared as a whole against the other guilds.

2FmEu2G.png

Fantasy War Tactics will occasionally hold crossover events with other properties allowing you to obtain heroes drawn from other worlds. To date there have been collaborations with Noblesse, Blazblue, and Maple Story. Typically each collaboration comes with 3-4 new heroes that can be earned through the event shop, Lost Island, and typically 1 hero that can only be obtained by paying crystals. They frequently feature limited time sets including these characters, an exclusive costume, and exclusive equipment. It's a good idea to stockpile crystals in preparation for collab events.

vgXJJiL.png

For returning players or people just curious about why they've added an ”R" to the game's title, here's a partial list of changes:

6 star Awakening: Characters can get even stronger, can use a new type of equipment called runes, and gain an awakening skill. A flashy, once per battle attack with power to match.

Season 2 Launch: A continuation of the World Conquest story mode. As of this update the Sia Continent has been added with 2 new areas, Monghyeon Harbor and Muhan. Each has 6 normal stages, 2 bosses, and 2 scenarios. 3 new characters can be recruited across these 2 areas. Additionally there's an island between the continents with 3 new scenarios and 2 boss battles.

Season 1 Streamlining: Presumably in an effort to make the game more approachable to new players, difficulty modes have been combined and daily caps on the number of times players can run a stage have been removed.

Daily reward: Gain extra stuff the first time you beat each dungeon each day.

Auto Complete: By spending a new currency called Subjugation Tickets, players can instantly auto complete dungeons, saving time. Note that the auto option, which gives the AI control of the team, is still available.

Streamlined Equipment: Upgrading equipment has been improved by condensing upgrade materials into a single type used for weapons, armor, and accessories. Players can now easily mass de-equip heroes or swap and entire equipment loadout between characters.

UI Update: The jury's out on whether it looks better or worse than the old style, but everything is laid out in a much more approachable manner with fewer layers of sub-menus. The interface is a laggier though.

GC88EK2.png

I'll update this if I see any recurring questions pop up.

Q: What platforms is this on?
A: iOS and Android

Q: What server should I pick?
A: Global

Q: I have questions about a specific game mechanic.
A: Try checking the Useful Tips section on the official website. It has a rundown of most of the games mechanics and features. If you can't find the answer there feel free to ask in the thread.

Q: Is this game pay to win?
A: Yes. While FWT is much more fair than many other F2P games, players with money will still have an easier time. Particularly in the Battle of Honor AI PvP mode, having good set equipment and sometimes premium Soul Gear can make a huge difference. However anyone can play through the World Conquest mode without spending a dime. Additionally the game has been very generous with freebies and at least for Season 1 F2P players could obtain most of the same premium stuff as whales, just a lot slower. Aside from the highest ranks of PvP, time generally pays off more than money.

Q: Help! I want to be some sort of fish or aquatic mammal that spends money on mobile games, what do I do?
A: I'd recommend doing F2P for a bit to see if you like the game before spending any money, but if you've decided to open your wallet I recommend getting Coocoo's Gift. It's basically a $5 monthly subscription that gives you several times the cash value in crystals. It just pays them out over the course of a month. You don't even have to log in every day to get them, they'll just pile up in the mail tab. There's also a new Leveling Package that pays out a total of 2000 crystals for $5, doling them out as your lord level goes up. For returning players, I was able to buy it even though I'm way over LV 30 and got it all at once. If you've still got money that is literally on fire and threatening to burn your wallet, I'd potentially suggest one of the limited time offer boxes. It entirely depends on the content of the box, but sometimes they offer decent deals. That said, I generally find buying crystals at normal price to be a horrible value proposition. Avoid if you can.

Q: How to do I go about getting crystals if I've got more important stuff to do with my money, like save for retirement?
A: Early on the game will throw some crystals your way just for progressing. In typical F2P fashion, this will drop off. You can still earn crystals doing daily achievements, get some weekly for ranking in Battle of Honor, and you can find them via Expeditions. Also sometimes the game hands out free crystals as part of an event.

Q: Will (insert collaboration name) ever come back?
A: Dunno. Noblesse came back once, but I think there's contracts and stuff involved with the collaborations so both companies have to come to a new agreement each time. The Maple Story collaborations probably have the greatest chance to return since both are Nexon games, but they both ran fairly recently so I wouldn't expect it for a while. Blazblue is back as of 4/27/17!

Q: When are they adding more Season 2 stuff?
A: No idea. I believe the update schedule for Season 1 was a new island every couple of months, but it launched with more islands at the outset. Then there was a loooooong wait for Season 2.

eAwuYwN.png

Season 2 has launched!

4/20-???: 7 Day Check in Event- Check in each day (doesn't have to be consecutive) to obtain the following:
AtntiCi.png

6/29/17-7/20/17 Recruit Yeka- Earn red gemstones from the new Skybrary level "Wonderland" to recruit Yeka, buy Yeka's equipment, and get a wonderland themed costume for Persona and Angela.

angrylamp

Neo Member
feels like an amazing time to come back.

Liking the new UI, took hours just to clean up everything and get used to the changes.

woohoo!

Sterok

Lots of things to get used to. Not sure I like the lack of difficulties for the campaign areas, but most everything else seems to be an improvement. I've been wanting a shakeup for awhile, so this is very welcome.

kotodama

Nice OP Fishious.

If you're coming in as a new player, Thanatos at 5 stars, full equipment and maxed skills is a ridiculous gift to get on day one. OP as all heck. He'll definitely make farming Season 1 stuff a breeze.

Liking the new UI, but it's all so confusing coming from the old one. Seems like the production values have gone way up since season one as well.

Also, been pretty lucky with some good Gatcha pulls today. Hope that continues moving forward.

Mephala

Nice OP!

Update feels and looks a lot better than it actually plays for me currently. Hopefully it works itself out. Trying to access any of the comments for heroes and stages will crash the game (not that they had anything worth reading in there any way, except maybe Raboff's top comment).

Here are a few things I noticed.

• S1 World Conquest (story) seems to have shrunk. Previously each stage had normal, hard, hell and chaos difficulties. I can't seem to access these any more.
  • Limited runs for S1 boss genes seem to be gone but if you can't access Chaos stages I suspect the recruit rate may actually be slower. Make the most of Bonus Genes Day events.
  • You can now stack energy potions. Yes, eat 10 potions and go to bed. Wake up with 7 potions worth of energy still because you've capped your inventory! Can't wait!
  • On that note, inventory space has been increased!
  • Awakening materials in in the Neph dungeon stage is typical ranking. Since you can only play it once per day if you haven't reached SS once yet then quit and retry so you can get the most out of the rewards.
  • From what I can tell, the game's "difficulty" rating for stages are misleading. >_>
  • I miss having the lab button the home screen.

For new players.

I recommend you take your time. I am mostly f2p. I spent $5 early on and didn't really get anything I couldn't have over time. If you were to invest a lot of money they will be a different story.
If you're fine with throwing in money... Krut's package is for sale and he is easily one of the strongest heroes. His event comes around quite often but he can easily carry you through most of S1's content. Reina and Deimos are very strong as well.

I tried getting into this game many months ago and lost interest, but I'm back in for season 2. I forgot what my logon was or if I had anything good so I figured I'd just start fresh, and I'm enjoying it, although I'm still at the point where you're just as well served to autobattle than you are to actually do the levels. Part of that miiiight be because chris is a 5* now due to those logon bonuses, but hey.

We'll see how deep the rabbit hole goes for me when the game starts getting challenging. I hope it doesn't get to PAD levels of madness for me, because that got expensive for a while there.

Mephala

So these runes, 6th slot equipment thingoes. Let me see if I get this right.

Red = Attack Gem
Blue = Defense Gem
Green = Life Gem

The gems comes in shapes and must be placed in the right slot.
Each gem's base stat can be different despite being the same colour and shape. (Eg. I have two blue left pointy ones and one had 106+ while the other had 116+ in def.)
You unlock bonus stats as you enhance. It doesn't take materials.
You can see the grade of the bonus stat based on the colour of the text.

I got a pink in first slot, it turned into a 5% attack bonus. Shame the rest of the perks were junk. >8(

I'm trying to work out who to use the rest of my 5* tickets on. Considering these:
Fruel - I haven't finished genes on him. Been lazy and I have Lee which is better all rounder, Fruel probably chunks on paper though.
Jin/Dom/Tao - These seem to be boss hitters and single target damage dealers. Kind of squishy but when you need the attack they probably come in handy. I think Tao has some sustain and debuff but she is the hardest to gene with blue genes.
Dolores - I bring him almost everywhere and he usually dies in < 4 turns. I only need him for his passive though.
Zero - Maybe for guild raid? Again, gene issue >_>
Moa - For my eventual mini-hero team. >_> I still need to unlock Shushu.
Other possibilities: Mercedes, Sione, Cleo, Ian, ALfred, Lily, Henry
I tried getting into this game many months ago and lost interest, but I'm back in for season 2. I forgot what my logon was or if I had anything good so I figured I'd just start fresh, and I'm enjoying it, although I'm still at the point where you're just as well served to autobattle than you are to actually do the levels. Part of that miiiight be because chris is a 5* now due to those logon bonuses, but hey.

We'll see how deep the rabbit hole goes for me when the game starts getting challenging. I hope it doesn't get to PAD levels of madness for me, because that got expensive for a while there.

Welcome aboard!
5* Chris would definitely let you breeze through some early islands as would Thanatos if you got him as freebie. Not sure on that requirement.

PM Fishious if you want in on guild.

What is PAD

Fishious

Interesting about the runes. I still haven't awakened anyone yet so I haven't looked into it. Holding my awakening ticket for a few more hours as I vainly try to get Ildo before it expires. Trying to work out a team that can auto his stage without grace and I'm making progress, but after a few runs RNG screws me and they wipe.

For the 5* tickets I'd prioritize heroes that could bring options you don't currently have available, but you can also easily swap equipment around on. As an example, my Lee has a bunch of Attack type only sets so I'd prioritize Fruel since he can use that set effectively as well and he brings more AoE and extra paper murder over Lee.

PAD is presumably Puzzle & Dragons, which coincidentally is the nefarious thing that introduced me to this horrible world of mobile games.

On another note I'll have to update the OP since some of the terminology and other mechanics have changed. I think I'll wait a few days though before I really dig into stuff since last night they lowered the season 2 difficulty and I expect there'll be more changes.

Mephala

Hmm. I have 3 more rebirths. I'll take Fruel on your suggestion. I'll also add Klein to the options list because I'm currently grinding him. I was unable to auto his stage previously on Chaos, that Elektra was oddly the most dangerous on the lot and RNG my autoruns. Now that chaos stage isn't a thing I have the stage set for 800 energy. >_>

I actually think allowing stacking energy is cheap and kind of takes away from the game a bit.

Also. You can't reroll the stats/potentials on the runes.

kotodama

Yup the runes are like a glorified 6 star..errr Blue 5 star equipment slot. Thankfully it doesn't mess with your regular inventory, but I don't know if it is limited to 50 slots or if we'll have to waste crystals to expand it if we want. Anyways one thing to add is you can have all red, blue or green as long as it fits the left, center or right slots. Easy to farm and upgrade, but a lot of so-so potentials on them.

As for the characters to 5 star

Fruel is a great AoE Lee and still useful for Guild Raid Thursdays I think.
Klein definitely a good AoE paper if a tiny bit suicidal, but not as bad as Momo.
Dolores is crappy, but he brings in the gold and every little bit helps so he's on all my leveling teams and Celestial Library..err Skybrary stages (Brings in an extra 50K a day for Celestial 2).
Sione is good for Sunday, and Monday Guild Raid strats, also I've been fielding some Sione mercs that have been really OP so she definitely has some potential. DoT is still great for PvE.
Jin and Tao situationally good for ToD Hard. There is a Jin + Deimos strat for Thursday raid, but I don't use that.
Dominique is a glass canon, but useful for overkill in Tuesday raid before ChaosFusion or my Muzaka do the work.
Zero and Lily are best kept weak, even 4 stars weak, for some Guild Raid strats.
Moa gets no love because Klein, Jenny, Celestial and Rachel exist.
Mercedes too situational and too squishy maybe
Cleo overshadowed by other CC characters. Her passive though still can change the tides of battle. For example, when her Friday Guild Raid strat worked, it automatically allowed me to SS that in one turn.Going back to the Lily strat, it takes 2 or 3 turns now.
ShuShu has gotten better post-buff and that 2nd skill is like a mini Grace.
Would be nice to have an auto team that I didn't have to use Grace, but I haven't found one yet. Everytime I forget, team dies because of those tigers. I'm currently using Cel, Krut, Belle, Lee, and Yeka in that order.

Is it me or the drop rates are really really bad. I'm averaging like 2 or 4 on non-gene days per run, and so far on gene day it seems to be 4-6.

Also I think I read some where the first run of any stage in the day will give bonus drop rates, but great that's one time. I kind of miss Chaos difficulty stages just for the enhanced rates.

Welcome back. Join the NeoGaf guild, even just for a week, and run Guild Raid for all 7 days to unlock Valkryie who's like a better version of Chris.

Mephala

I popped Klein & Fruel. They seem the most useful. My Sione, Dalores, Dom and Jin at already 4*. So is Angela who I forgot. I figure at this point it'll be pretty quick to take them to 5* if I really wanted to.

Did the maths quickly. I won't reach ShuShu in time before the ticket expires. Shame.

Not sure on Klein. Do I even need him with Celes, Rach and Jenny there? And a soon to be Awakened Carrot!
lol

kotodama

Yeah you've got a lot of good Paper AoE's already. Still Klein will be good for those Paper only ToD Hard stages lol.

Knight of Dawn, Daso, Beast Rain, Ghost Step, Angel Knight
Awakened Carrot would be scary. Nobody would suspect that.

Fishious

Welp, I screwed myself. I set up my tablet to run Ildo overnight, but it looks like it ran down the battery faster than it charged because it was off when I got up. I still had a few hours on my awakening ticket so I put in some extra runs in the hopes of getting Ildo before it expired, but I didn't set my phone alarm right and wound up letting it expire anyway. It's entirely my own fault, but I'm still salty.

The team I'm using is Krut, Belle, Valkyrie, Celestial, and Yekaterina 167k power. It's not foolproof, but I've managed up to 32 runs in a row without the AI losing.

dommynick

So I'm giving this game a try thanks to this thread... there's a lot to take in though. Is there any sort of beginners guide that's updated for Season 2, like recommended parties, characters to use rebirth tokens on, what to use red gems on?

Fishious

So I'm giving this game a try thanks to this thread... there's a lot to take in though. Is there any sort of beginners guide that's updated for Season 2, like recommended parties, characters to use rebirth tokens on, what to use red gems on?

No guide yet that I know of. I'll probably write something up later, but there's so many changes I want to make sure I have a good grasp on everything. Any 5 star character should let you faceroll most of season one and you get Thanatos maxed for free who should make everything even easier. I'd suggest working towards Celestial and Deimos(Skybrary), Valkyrie (Guild Raid), Fruel and Lena (Dimensional Breakthrough), and Belle (Battle of Honor). Some of these will be hard for a new player to obtain or will take a while, but it's good to start early and almost all of the ones I mentioned are still useful or meta.

Valkyrie just requires being in a guild and doing each day's guild battle. You can do the early levels of Dimensional Breakthrough, and even losing in Batle of Honor still awards currency.

For crystals, I recommend upgrading the expedition.

How would I go about joining the Neogaf guild?

Go to the guild button on the left menu of the main screen. Search for the NeoGAF guild and request to join. Post your in game name in this thread and I'll add you. We've still got a few spots open and if we get a bunch of interest I may kick some of the randoms I let in.

Mephala

Yeah you've got a lot of good Paper AoE's already. Still Klein will be good for those Paper only ToD Hard stages lol.

Knight of Dawn, Daso, Beast Rain, Ghost Step, Angel Knight
Awakened Carrot would be scary. Nobody would suspect that.

It is almost disappointing that new players will most likely miss Carrot's prime time. The little gun was MVP for so long, even with Jenny around Carrot would still out DPS her until some late game gear comes in and Jenny's passive takes her away.

On top of what Fish said.

I'll touch on some things that might be more immediately useful or just general knowledge.

Events
At the moment you're probably earning event coins just playing. You spend these in the Event Shop. I actually don't like the new UI for the shop but hey. From the main menu hit shop, then you will see Event Shop with a timer.
I recommend prioritizing
Daily
-Energy Potion (10 coins)
-Modification Stones (100 coins total)

Limited
-Armor Set is quite nice
-Hammers!

Battle For Honor
This is a huge time sink but currency unlocks some great stuff.

The easiest way to get participation rewards is to go in and quit the battle. Use all the swords and just take the extra energy/rewards.
Auto or play to win some fights. You get 3 honour coins per win but only 1 on loss/quit.

Sky Library
I don't think it is worth running daily until you can get to the Celestial's second book stage 29 easily.
30 is a boss stage but you get 10 gems on the win which makes it worth it. You also get decent money from it.
A Lee Merc will make short work of the 30 boss.

Map Rewards
You get rewards based on rank. B, A, S and finally SS which gives the most rewards.
You rank down if you take too long (depends on map) or a hero dies (down once each death).
You only need to hit SS once and you will then always get full rewards so it is worth aiming for it, even if you use a Merc.
Especially for dungeons where you are grinding materials or bosses for genes (rng chance of genes in more slots)

Lord Gauge
Builds by
Using Paper/Scissor/Rock advantage
Using support skills on allies (works for skills that are offensive and support at the same time)
Using direction advantage (attack from side/back)
Heal is ok early on but Grace is generally superior when you unlock it.
Hellfire is % max HP damage so it can look weak if used on weak enemies but can really hurt tanky bosses etc.

There are some pretty broken heroes from S1 but that said, most heroes have their uses and while some of them fall off later, they are still relevant and worth using. Some examples.
Deb carried me on the scissor damage until about mid/late game. She was still good but falling behind and I replaced her with Lena, Lee, Reina etc. However, when I need damage over time or need to stack some debuffs she is quite viable still and I have her on coocoo dungeon runs.
Lance is an early game scissor tank. He is kind of shit but grew on me. His movement isn't great and damage is laughable compared to some others. When you need a tank to tank though, specifically to area taunt with 100% success... There is no other option.

If you like the hero, recruit and use them. Worry about efficiency in the long run and just enjoy your ride. Jack is probably still a must at some point. He has the somewhat rare % HP damage so is great for bosses and easy to recruit from story as well.

Recommended parties are really based on what needs to be done. Guild Raids for instance have party setup bonuses. The most important one being mana regeneration so you usually want to aim for that if you can.

Shirke

Hey there, I'm interested in joining the NeoGAF guild, but I just left the old one I was in and have to wait 24 hours before applying for a new one. I'm level 80 and my IGN is Shirke, and I'll post again after I apply tomorrow.

Hubb

Go to the guild button on the left menu of the main screen. Search for the NeoGAF guild and request to join. Post your in game name in this thread and I'll add you. We've still got a few spots open and if we get a bunch of interest I may kick some of the randoms I let in.

In game name is Lieri, I should have just applied a little bit ago.

The story has been surprisingly interesting so far. I like the characters as well, they're quite funny.

I've just started playing a couple days ago and before I know it I'm already on the 74th quest.

Ryufujin

Neo Member
Hey Guys,

With all the new stuff, I decided to give this one a go again. I've just applied for the guild, my IGN: Ryufujin.

dommynick

It is almost disappointing that new players will most likely miss Carrot's prime time. The little gun was MVP for so long, even with Jenny around Carrot would still out DPS her until some late game gear comes in and Jenny's passive takes her away.

On top of what Fish said.

I'll touch on some things that might be more immediately useful or just general knowledge.

Events

Battle For Honor

Sky Library

Map Rewards

Lord Gauge

There are some pretty broken heroes from S1 but that said, most heroes have their uses and while some of them fall off later, they are still relevant and worth using. Some examples.
Deb carried me on the scissor damage until about mid/late game. She was still good but falling behind and I replaced her with Lena, Lee, Reina etc. However, when I need damage over time or need to stack some debuffs she is quite viable still and I have her on coocoo dungeon runs.
Lance is an early game scissor tank. He is kind of shit but grew on me. His movement isn't great and damage is laughable compared to some others. When you need a tank to tank though, specifically to area taunt with 100% success... There is no other option.

If you like the hero, recruit and use them. Worry about efficiency in the long run and just enjoy your ride. Jack is probably still a must at some point. He has the somewhat rare % HP damage so is great for bosses and easy to recruit from story as well.

Recommended parties are really based on what needs to be done. Guild Raids for instance have party setup bonuses. The most important one being mana regeneration so you usually want to aim for that if you can.

Cool, thanks for the information. What's the best way to get new items for my characters? Should I be using red gems on the gacha?

kotodama

Cool, thanks for the information. What's the best way to get new items for my characters? Should I be using red gems on the gacha?

If you're a p2w player then the Gacha pulls might be all right, but you might end up doing a lot of pulls and the crystal expense for that will start translating into real whale money. The RNG at least for season 1 was really really bad like low low single digit percents for the best stuff. There is a new 'Mileage' system, but it seems you'll have to spend a lot to get something or anything through that.

For f2p players a lot has changed from season 1 so it's hard to say somewhat, but I'd of course do the daily free pull. Then I'd take my 5 star Thanatos and run up Tower of Dawn Normal as far as I can go. Every 10 floors or so should give you an item pull chance or 3. These used to be single pieces, but they might be whole sets now. Otherwise, you'll get 1 to 3 star gear from farming normal and boss stages. Tower of Dawn resets once a month. Normal 1 star sets are fine because with good potentials (i.e. stat bonuses) they should carry you pass all season 1 story content and most of the other stuff too. For Normal sets, generally Bows, Armors, and Rings are the best with one or two Necklaces to get Mastery to 100%. Brooches are good for healers and tanks instead of rings to boost defense. Hammers, Swords, Boots and Shields can be extracted to get the chance for better items.

*snip
The team I'm using is Krut, Belle, Valkyrie, Celestial, and Yekaterina 167k power. It's not foolproof, but I've managed up to 32 runs in a row without the AI losing.
I feel like this current build of the game uses more electricity than the previous one. I'm running the game plugged in more than before. Sucks about that awakening ticket, but aren't we getting another one in a day or two?

I'll have to give that team a go. The team I was using was Celestial, Ildo, Deborah, Lee, and Thanatos. Thanatos being equiped with Outer Space and Ultimate Weapon Gold Tiger. Everyone but Thanatos dies in the 2nd turn and he Solos the level. I got it to work about 15 times, but randomly fails more like once every 5 or so runs.

Auto farming Hongyeom now with Celestial, Krut, Raizel, Belle and Yeka. Randomly the AI has pathfinding issues and runs out of turns and fails.

Aside from the First Daily Bonus run I'm not really running Taehwa until I get Ildo and Hongyeom maxed. Also his stage seems the hardest to auto because of those enemies that can disarm.

I'm back and kicking!
Starting today I'll also resume the daily guild raiding, though I think starts changed thus I'll suck horribly for one week or two!

Anyway.. heroes that you should aim for whenever they are up// are base recruitable and will do wonder:
Krut
Jenny
Celestial
Deimos
Reina (my goddess.. ok she's weaker than krut but I like her more)
Pretty much all maple story collab
Belle (seriously do arena everyday a few times.. she's that good)
Lena
Lee (if you're starting it's faaaar away)
Klein (same with lee)
Valk (goddess number two)

Of course there are many more strong heroes, but these one are usually top of line

And remember to do tower of dawn every month up to whatever point you manage...
Also do everyday guild raid (for valk gene and scroll fragment)
Also do the Neptune dungeon for awakening cryatal

Basically login and do everything!

Mephala

What's the best way to get new items for my characters? Should I be using red gems on the gacha?

One thing I did but hated using red crystals on was Lord Masteries. The support side in particular. Basically, you want to unlock Lv10 Expeditions so you have 3 ships. Then you unlock and max out the Skilled Expeditions mastery... It is pretty expensive but it allows expeditions to come back with Red Crystals so it pays for itself over time... then keeps paying.

Red Crystal gatcha is really luck based and more of an instant reward that may or may not actually be worth it. There are some pretty rubbish sets you might pull but there are also exceptional ones. The game tends to have a lot of events and Red Crystals is usually the main currency for most things. Some things you can only get with red crystals and they can be about 1700 or 2000 in cost. Not to mention sometimes they have red crystal gatcha discount events...

I'm back and kicking!
Starting today I'll also resume the daily guild raiding, though I think starts changed thus I'll suck horribly for one week or two!

Anyway.. heroes that you should aim for whenever they are up// are base recruitable and will do wonder:

I'd definitely put Rage, Serendi and Mas in there too. Rage is an anti scissor, almost like a Rock Lee (lol) but doesn't have the mana problems.
Mas has range and his attack does a bit of % hp. His healing is pretty great too.
Serendi is the best. I don't like her appearance but she actually hurts quite a bit and is super charming ;)

Also... I've fought horrifying Reinas. Ones that my Krut struggle to kill.
Aran and Rachel are my new goddesses. Aran is fun to use because its hilarious seeing a hero with an aura like a super saiyan and buffs that almost trail off screen at times. Rachel is my new Jenny. I think Jenny actually hits little harder but Rachel tends to be more useful all round. ;)

Oh yeah... Lily is pretty much mandatory for some Tower of Dawn stages. He has the best push. Maybe even Persona too.

I'd definitely put Rage, Serendi and Mas in there too. Rage is an anti scissor, almost like a Rock Lee (lol) but doesn't have the mana problems.
Mas has range and his attack does a bit of % hp. His healing is pretty great too.
Serendi is the best. I don't like her appearance but she actually hurts quite a bit and is super charming ;)

Also... I've fought horrifying Reinas. Ones that my Krut struggle to kill.
Aran and Rachel are my new goddesses. Aran is fun to use because its hilarious seeing a hero with an aura like a super saiyan and buffs that almost trail off screen at times. Rachel is my new Jenny. I think Jenny actually hits little harder but Rachel tends to be more useful all round. ;)

Oh yeah... Lily is pretty much mandatory for some Tower of Dawn stages. He has the best push. Maybe even Persona too.
yes but rage is on a one per month hero..
and at that point you have to make choices between him and other heroes with blue genes :)
mas is REALLY good, and will carry a long way until you get more competent healer, same with serendi, she's good at what she does but i prefer other char :)

reinas is goddess.. aran is INCREDIBRO with the right gear (her sg) so i think she'll be out of his league :/
same with rachel, she's good on her own, but her sg gives her a solid boost.. i didn't list her because unlike maple story collab, she's unlike to return :/
so he'll have to make do with jenny :p

then we actually have the gimmick hero that are used in some tod//tod hard stages, but these are really situational at best... lily, persona, heck even nox or lilid you might need at some point, but they are not priority if he's just starting :)

Fishious

Ok, I've added everyone who requested guild membership. We're now full, though I may be able to kick some of the randoms I added when things were slower, however I don't really like kicking active players so I'm somewhat hesitant to do that. So at this point it's probably better to join other guilds. If we have people go inactive I'll post that we have openings.

Auto farming Hongyeom now with Celestial, Krut, Raizel, Belle and Yeka. Randomly the AI has pathfinding issues and runs out of turns and fails.

I'm running into the same issue. I'm using a very similar setup. Celestial, Krut, Valkyrie, Belle, and Yekaterina. Hongyeom isn't much of an issue, they take her down then split left and right. More tend to go left for me so the person who goes right (usually Celestial) dies. The remaining party cleans up the left and center, then gets stuck unable to pathfind their way to the remaining enemies. It bothersome because even with a few heroes dying Krut, Belle, and Yeka always make it through and should have no trouble finishing the stage were it not for this issue.

I tried using Deimos instead of Valkyrie, but he tends to get himself stuck behind water tiles. I'm thinking maybe Thanatos might be a good idea, as even if he gets stuck in the middle I think he has enough range to still reach enemies. That'll probably have to wait until tomorrow for me as I need Rock Coocoos to power level him.

Mephala

I would argue that there is no better starting Blue Gene hero than Rage. The issue is to give him genes. You will either need another month to start leveling his skills or use perfect genes on him. However none of the starting rocks can hit like him and at Range. He is like a slightly less glass cannon version of Carrot. Blue genes can be bought now too, expensive but that is an option.

It is good to push for the stronger heroes sure. But realistically you can snatch up Lily way before you ever reach Lee and Klein. If you've hit stage 8 Ashan in World Conquest you are probably strong enough to make it a fair way up the tower where Lily and some of the others will help get you that little bit further.
Half the time a Lee merc is really all you need since two turns later he is really down on MP any way. ;) Exceptional sniper and damage dealer but a much later and harder to obtain hero.

Fishious

Blazblue is back! Maintenance will be later today for most of us in the US.

I also updated the OP a bit to better reflect changes in terminology and systems since the Season 2 update.

Also of interest, it seems we won't be getting Blue Genes for May's monthly check in. Guess we've got to spend friendship points for them now. On the other hand we're getting one of each transcendence ticket so I think this is actually better for us.

In other news I finally got Hongyeom. I spent a lot of time (too much actually) trying to come up with a good, non grace auto team that wouldn't fail after 1-3 runs. The essential issue with autoing this stage that isn't present in the others is that there's a fox on both the left and right side of the map that are on unconnected islands. In too many cases my team could clear the entire map, aside from one or both of the foxes, but lose because they couldn't pathfind their way to the enemies and ran out the turn timer. Even using 5 range characters wasn't a sure thing as sometimes they'd just move back and forth at the rear of the central area.

In the end despite all my efforts, my most reliable team is one I pulled from the FWT subreddit since my own experimentation wasn't paying off. It's Celestial, Thanatos, Deimos, Belle, and Yekaterina. The reddit poster said they had 180k team power, but I've been getting 5-10 runs without fails at 170k power. FYI my Thanatos isn't awakened and I imagine it'll be more reliable if he is.I don't know why this team works as there seems to be a lot of variance between runs, but somehow it usually succeeds. Giving Belle the Outer Space set helped with consistency since she's usually the main one fighting the foxes at the back and OS helps her kill them faster, which makes it more likely she'll actually follow and heal other characters.

When I was experimenting with teams, I identified the primary cause of the pathfinding issue. After defeating Hongyeom, most teams will split with some heroes going left and others going right depending on which tiger they're closer to. Ranged characters towards the back will usually target the foxes toward the back of the map. Some characters with enough range will sometimes target the left or right foxes, but Thanatos and Celestial still seem to prioritize the tigers for some reason. The pathing issue won't occur if the individual heroes are able to survive a fight with the tigers on the left or right and have ranged attacks that will reach the foxes. The issue usually occurs when they split up, most of the heroes go one way, and only a single hero goes the other way. If that single hero can't solo the tiger and fox, then the tiger's going to move into the central area. That means there's nothing for the heroes to path towards on that side, so if that side's fox is still alive it's more likely the heroes will get stuck unable to path to it. Celestial and Thanatos are two heroes that can reliably kill the left and right foxes even after the tigers are dead, probably due to their relatively high move and range.

As far as team comp goes, the main issue I struggled with was trying to get Celestial to stop suiciding into tigers. This team setup does it by having Deimos aggro 1 of the tigers turn 1 with his pull, getting it to move into the center. Since Thanatos and Celestial can reliably take out the side foxes even without a tiger to path to, the auto run usually succeeds. Most of the failures I've had seem to stem from random enemy crits or the tigers resisting a bunch of stuff. So higher team power should generally increase the chance of success.

Normally I wouldn't right at such length about a stage, but it has some unusual quirks that made creating an auto team unusually difficult in that autoing isn't actually hard, but avoiding the pathing issue is unless you have a really powerful team.

kotodama

Liking the transcendence tickets for sure, but it seems that not getting a guaranteed Blue Gene Character every month is a drawback for newer players. Rage is still decent. Shushu got her buff and her awakened form might be good. Then there is Zero who’s only needed for Tuesday Raids, but is key.

Any new players reading this. By the way, I’d recommend getting: Rage > Zero > Shushu > Tao | Alex

Probably could swap out Rage and get Zero for the Raid utility since Noel is coming soon. She’s kind of a midrange Rage with more Tankiness.

Great analyze. I think I’ll switch out Krut in my Hongyeom line-up for Thanatos. Now that I have him awakened. I wonder if the team power will be enough to counter the pathfinding issues.

Have you tried to auto Taehwa yet? I was trying to use the FWT subreddit methods, but my kit was nowhere close to theirs. Seriously wasted too much time at work trying to jig a team that would even semi-auto. Eventually settled on: Deimos, Thanatos, Awakened Deborah, Celestial, and Krut. Still even then, I’d have to grace 3 or 4 times and more often than not hand sell the end bit. Today with Awakened Thanatos, I can almost do it with one Grace in the beginning, but I don’t trust the AI enough to carry through, so I fire off another Grace around turn 5-6 depending when Deimos decides to kamikaze Taehwa.

Whacky AI on that stage too. The characters start to attack the walls randomly when they run out of enemies on the way down. Sometimes it appears to be for charging the Lord Gauge. Other times, not so much and then they just get stuck attacking walls until the rest of the team dies. However, sometimes hilarious Awakening Skill animations ensue. Finally saw Chris’ one and her going ballistic on a wall bit instead of an enemy looks ridiculous. If I remember correctly, Hongyeom's was hell bent on making firewood or something lol.

Mephala

This BB event is totally underwhelming for someone who grinded the previous event.
You can't repurchase packages, so I can't double up on set gears for transcending or get extra Jin K genes despite being ready to throw Red Crystals at it. This sucks. This means the only thing I'm looking at is the remaining SG and the Ragna package which I don't have. The most interesting thing in the event shop is the two sets, which I already have... I can grind out 7500 coins to get them again for transcending at least I guess but that is hardly exciting.
EQlphEJ.gif

For newbies, here is what I remember from last time and what I think about the heroes.

You can grind out Noel, Rachel and Ragna heroes and max their skills if you dump enough energy into grinding it. If you get the heroes but don't finish their genes you can make up for it with Perfect Genes if you really want to later. However you can't recruit using perfect genes so if you end up running low on time you might consider snatching the heroes but forgoing maxing genes. Soul Gear packages will drop in a couple of weeks.

I would rank the heroes like this:
Story:
Rachel > Noel > Ragna
PvP:
Rachel > Ragna > Noel

Ragna hits very hard and has good sustain but is very squishy. He can do tremendous damage if built right but that is also true for a lot of heroes. In terms of event heroes I would say both Reina and Evan are better scissors. Deimos is as well but he seems pretty permanent these days so I'm not sure if he is considered an event hero.
Rachel, hard hitting paper area unit with a bit of self sustain but most importantly if you get her Soul Gear she gets mana burn. At max level it burns about 250 in a pretty large area. She has been a staple in my team since I brought her up to level and frequently rejoins my A team. My main gripe with her is not really to do with her specifically but rather the game offers quite a large number of good papers. Valkyrie, Celestial, Jenny are pretty quick gets (maybe Celes is a little slower not I don't consider her a late game hero either). Then there is Klein, Unknown, Mu, Alex who are also quite reliable if a little more difficult to recruit or a bit more situational. Chris isn't bad either so Rachel comes along with paper fatigue I guess.
Noel. She is very strong. She isn't quite Krut level and I'd rank her below Rage as well however all three of these are very strong Rock Attack types. Noel is in a nice position between Krut and Rage with area and range. She makes a good substitute or addition to those when you need it but otherwise I find it difficult to field her unless I'm going Rock heavy.

Jin K I list separately because you cannot max him without a lot of perfect genes and you must spend Red Crystal to recruit him.
I would argue he is probably the strongest hero of the lot when maxed. He has a wake up attack which decreases movement range. This attack gets increased range with his Soul Gear maxed. His 3rd is an area HP% attack on enemies with decreased movement debuff. He can counter in 2 range which is better than most melee heroes. His second skill decreases healing effect which is another pretty rare debuff.
I can't really recommend him because he requires such heavy Perfect Genes and Red Crystal investments. 2500 for recruitment package and I think it was 1700 for Soul Gear. That is a lot, especially for beginners and or those who started not too long ago.
The worst part about Jin K when using him is how long his attack animation is on his 3rd skill.

goober

Just started playing, Thanatos is pretty op. Do I have to unlock the Conquest map to participate in the BB event?

donnaben

I really want Jin K. My understanding is that even if you buy his package, you'll still never be able to get his soul gear, which was only available during the first BB event (6 months ago).

On a side note, anyone else think this is the best of all the mobile gacha type games?

KimChi

Is there room in the neogaf guild? I just started playing again recently but stuck waiting 24hrs cause I was just kicked from another guild.

Just started playing, Thanatos is pretty op. Do I have to unlock the Conquest map to participate in the BB event?
You should be getting the event coins to use in the shop from doing conquest already unless you are talking about the lost island to get ragna genes? If that isnt showing for you then probably need to progress through conquest.

I really want Jin K. My understanding is that even if you buy his package, you'll still never be able to get his soul gear, which was only available during the first BB event (6 months ago).

On a side note, anyone else think this is the best of all the mobile gacha type games?
I think its one of the better mobile games since you don't need to pull for characters like other gacha games.

Whizkid7

So i just redownloaded this game after several months away (and Brave Exvius no longer being fun) and WOW. What a time to come back. A free awesome character, tons of upgrades, refinements, a practical flood of crystals...I remember why I liked this game so much! And with them letting me upgrade basically my entire team for free (which was the main reason I got bored, the grind to upgrade past 3* was trying), I'm ready to dive back in!

Fishious

Is there room in the neogaf guild? I just started playing again recently but stuck waiting 24hrs cause I was just kicked from another guild.

Yep, 1 slot open as of now. Post your in game name in the thread once your 24 hours are up.

Mephala

In first bb event, sg package came in latter half of event. I definitely think it'll pop up in a week or two once the outfit packages run its course.

in previous maple characters they did the same but the package for the character went away with the other first set of packages...

goober

Any room in GAF guild? I might have applied ign is cilantr0.

Also, I'm stuck in grigas boss stage fighting the wizard dude. I'm using sonic boom, jack, thanatos, serendi, and carrot all 5 stars. What can I do to improve? My team seems to squishy.

kotodama

Also, I'm stuck in grigas boss stage fighting the wizard dude. I'm using sonic boom, jack, thanatos, serendi, and carrot all 5 stars. What can I do to improve? My team seems to squishy.

I think GAF guild is full atm, but if you need perhaps a decent merc for that stage. Friend me. My ign is Hexacypher.

To make your team less squishy for Moa, I'd max armor (never shields or boots) and/or brooches to +10 on normal gear and then try and roll some good potentials. At least blue, but aim for orange and pink. For armor go for (somewhat in this order):

• +% Defense
  • +% HP
  • -% Damage Taken
  • Recover % HP every turn
Flat numbers are fine, but percentages are always better. Also perhaps cast Grace on the first turn, and try to keep your team under the cover of Grace if you can.

Mephala

Your team has a few squishies and no healers. Serendi is great balance but can't always keep up by herself.
First stop is Mas, though you really want to get Celestial (Skybrary) and eventually Belle (Battle of Honor).

There is no hope for Carrot being not squishy. Carrot is a glass cannon. Jenny is a little better but you need another paper to activate her passive which really brings out her potential.

Grace will help a lot PvE, try to time it for rough clashes with enemies.

I believe Krut Island is currently open again. Use a merc to ss one of the later missions then dump some subjugation tickets on him if you can't auto. He is kind of broken.

You can send me a friend request too, Nommy2.

I don't understand why the guild limit is a lowly 20 members. not that we're always full either but it seems small.

Your team has a few squishies and no healers. Serendi is great balance but can't always keep up by herself.
First stop is Mas, though you really want to get Celestial (Skybrary) and eventually Belle (Battle of Honor).

There is no hope for Carrot being not squishy. Carrot is a glass cannon. Jenny is a little better but you need another paper to activate her passive which really brings out her potential.

Grace will help a lot PvE, try to time it for rough clashes with enemies.

I believe Krut Island is currently open again. Use a merc to ss one of the later missions then dump some subjugation tickets on him if you can't auto. He is kind of broken.

You can send me a friend request too, Nommy2.

I don't understand why the guild limit is a lowly 20 members. not that we're always full either but it seems small.

what maphala said basically :)
Carrot is forever bench..
You can actually try jenny, as she's a "free and staple" hero to farm, but she will also get the short end of the stick..
With this event GET RACHEL for the love of god!
One of the best paper heroes!
After that, try to get celes (yay paper army) so at least you have some VERY solid unit that you can invest into..

goober

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try and add you all later

edit: I've been reading this guide on reddit. Is this a good guide to follow? I'm not sure if it's outdated or not.

Kouriozan

I'm still so depressed I lost my account last year due to facebook f*ckup, I want to play again but that would remind me of all I lost :(

Fishious

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try and add you all later

edit: I've been reading this guide on reddit. Is this a good guide to follow? I'm not sure if it's outdated or not.

Looks pretty good. A bit outdated in terms of terminology and a few things (like red capsules) don't exist anymore, but the advice is still solid. Some of the early heroes aren't as important now since they start you off with 5* Thanatos so you can just steamroll the first few islands and probably skip ahead to some of the better heroes around midway through the arc continent.

Fishious

Maple Story Event returns.

For anyone who's new or missed out last time, the first Maple Story Event has returned. Phantom is obtained via Lost Island, Evan with event coins, and Mercedes genes are expedition rewards plus can be bought with ancient coins.

I don't believe any of the characters are "must haves", but it doesn't hurt to have more options. Though this event doesn't seem to bring anything new for those of us who ground out the content last time.

Mephala

Evan is probably the best of the first Maple heroes. Then again, I never really paid attention to Mercedes. I think I was 20 genes off maxing her last time.

Might be worth getting excess genes, in case they release awakening for these heroes later.

Hubb

So I just unlocked the Sia continent and have hit my first real big wall. My parties power is 117,231 and I am not sure the best way to get it to 150K and beyond. Do I just save gems to roll for armor sets?

Top Bottom