• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasian |OT| Uematsu's Final Fantasy

Komatsu

Took the plunge and subscribed to Apple Arcade just to play this. Currently playing it on a Xbox game pad and the game is great. Feels like an old school RPG. Nothing revolutionary, systems-wise, but it does look amazing for what it is.

dottme

Took the plunge and subscribed to Apple Arcade just to play this. Currently playing it on a Xbox game pad and the game is great. Feels like an old school RPG. Nothing revolutionary, systems-wise, but it does look amazing for what it is.
It feels like a good rpg from the PS1 era. I didn’t play that much but I already love it.

Keihart

I wanna play this so much, but just buying an ipad for this, eugh, i can't pull the trigger...maybe if i also play jubeat and cross beats?
Confused Larry David GIF

Gonna try connecting the Macbook to the TV tomorrow and see how it goes playing this. You can sync PS4 and Xbone controllers with iOS and Macs too now since they are natively supported. It might be almost like playing on a console!

BootsLoader

Banned
You can play without a controller but I wouldn't recommend it.
It's click and point which becomes very tedious and tiresome.
I would buy a cheap iOS or Bluetooth controller to play it.
Nah I will buy a PS4 controller, I plan to buy an Apple TV so I’ll go that way.

Ikutachi

I kind of like the blurry backgrounds, with the character's surroundings focused. Easier to tell when you're close to a loading zone.

Fredrik

Why are there no reviews for this game?

I’m about 5 hours in now, so far this is brilliant, like a 9/10, feels like it came out of nowhere, I’m really impressed.

Some sketched story scenes feels like they ran out of time though. And every scene in full 3D looks like a mobile game, not good at all.
But the diorama sceneries are amazing!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Wow this game is great! Playing it on an Apple TV 4K. Easily one of the better jrpgs out. It’s a great get for Apple but I do hope they port it to consoles for everyone else.

Fredrik

Wow this game is great! Playing it on an Apple TV 4K. Easily one of the better jrpgs out. It’s a great get for Apple but I do hope they port it to consoles for everyone else.
Yeah it’s a really nice surprise, unique and gorgeous visually but still old-school similar to the JRPGs most of us fell in love with back in the days. I don’t know how much Apple has payed them but I really hope it’s a lot, Mistwalker deserves a success story here!

smbu2000

Been looking to try this out. Looks really good.
Downloaded it on my ipad, but maybe I’ll try to connect it to the TV instead (with X1 controller.)

Fredrik

Tip of the day!

I imagine that lots of people here signed up for the free trial of Apple Arcade to play Fantasian.

Well, your next stop should be:
Wonderbox: The Adventure Maker!

Just had a short play session. It’s a Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker styled action RPG with create your own adventure functionality. Lovely visuals, 60fps on Apple TV.

dottme

This game is brutal. I just rage quit during one of the boss battles.
Why did they make this game so hard mid-late game?
Sometimes, you need to go around and grind for some XP. I haven’t been far, but in the previous Mistwalker games I’ve played, I always have to grind at one moment.

dottme

I’m playing it more and more and I really enjoy it. I’m not sure how, but I feel this is a perfect way to modernize more traditional JRPG. I hope the story keep up to the end. (Don’t spoil me please).

Exentryk

Finished the game last night. I played on my late 2013 macbook pro connected to the TV via HDMI. Ran well at 1080p.

Pros:
  • Unique Diorama Aesthetic
  • Artwork (loved the art in the Memories)
  • Music (Tracks reminded me of various FFs. Town of En is like a second Balamb. Loved it!)
  • Memories (Great art and well written)
  • Pacing
  • Dimengion System
Cons:
  • Writing - Story is okay (all be it cliché), but the writing is poor.
  • Archaic Save Point System - Surprised they used this system especially since the game is made for mobiles. Save anywhere (except dungeons would be preferable).
  • Too many forced encounters, which coupled with random encounters became excessive during certain parts of the game.
  • Character Movement - Even with a controller, the character movement is sluggish. Bit more responsiveness would be great!
  • Simplistic Limited Combat - There aren't any limit breaks, builds, growth systems (for 95% of part 1), etc. There are a very limited amount of abilities and equipment options and can only use one accessory. While there isn't anything wrong with the combat system (it's decent for what it is), I just found wanting more options. It's probably because I'm coming off Bravely Default 2 though. I will say that the game does a good job of keeping it interesting via changing your party members, so it's not so bad.

That growth system got me excited. Could have used something like this from the start of the game actually, but better late than never. So I think I will enjoy part 2 more because of that.

Overall, I had a good time with it. The point where the game ended really made me want more. The wait is going to be annoying.

Last edited:
I finished the game. I didn't know that this was only part 1, so I was extremely disappointed that the game kind of ended abruptly.
I would have waited for the complete game had I known.
You unlock the growth system and then it's all over until part 2.

Last edited:

dottme

I finally finished part one. And I really want part 2 now.
but yes, they game is really the best of the PS1 RPG slightly modernize. It feels good. It might be early to conclude on the story but for the moment it’s looking good.
i just hope Mistwalker will have enough success so they can release more game like this.

edit: and I think now I want to play Lost Odyssey again.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I finally finished part one. And I really want part 2 now.
but yes, they game is really the best of the PS1 RPG slightly modernize. It feels good. It might be early to conclude on the story but for the moment it’s looking good.
i just hope Mistwalker will have enough success so they can release more game like this.

edit: and I think now I want to play Lost Odyssey again.
Appreciate the impressions. I need to pick this back up. Might be a good play while I'm on the road for work this week.

Brock2621

I maxed out my characters and then finished; it’s such a charming little PS1 throwback. It’s awesome to give us a peak at the new system we’ll get in part 2 and excited and eager to jump back in hopefully this fall. Kudos to Apple for allowing the dev team to create a product with a mostly hands-off approach! 👏🏻

Metnut

Have a couple of long flights coming up over the summer and have been eye balling this game. Do I need an internet connection to play and save? Did some googling and it doesn’t seem clear. It’s not cloud save only is it?

I heard this was actually good, so I hope it happens.
If you enjoy old school JRPGs, this is an excellent game. One of the best I played in 2021. Loved the character designs, world, soundtrack and battle system. Fantasian actually brings a refreshing take on random encounters; I had fun stacking dozens of monsters and fighting them all in one battle where they appear in consecutive waves. There's a battle where you fight 100 enemies! I never saw that in an RPG before.
The bosses make Fantasian the Dark Souls of turn-based combat, you need to die multiple times to learn a boss' patterns and figure out the right strategy. Even then, the battles are still very hard as you still have to fight with the proper timing, one mistake can result in defeat. But defeating them is so satisfying.

I hope Fantasian gets ported to PC or any console, it really deserves to be played by more people.

GeekyDad

Wasn't aware of this game, and just watched the trailer. Is this kind of a remake/re-imagining of Bravely Default? Outside of the visual style, the town maps looked very similar, as did the battles.

Wasn't aware of this game, and just watched the trailer. Is this kind of a remake/re-imagining of Bravely Default? Outside of the visual style, the town maps looked very similar, as did the battles.
Nothing to do with it at all, aside from recreating the classic RPG gameplay. The battle system is closer to FFX, with party members having specialized roles and the ability to swap them in and out of battle.

Top Bottom