• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans are working on a Resident Evil Code Veronica Remake in Unity Engine

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This fan remake of Resident Evil Code Veronica will feature 3D environments and will be a third-person shooter. The remake aims to retain the style of the original game. Naturally, it will feature reimagined versions of all maps… or at least that’s the plan.

Resident Evil Code Veronica Remake will feature two modes; Remake and Classic. The Remake Mode will feature a third-person camera and faithful expanded scenarios. On the other hand, the Classic Mode will have fixed camera angles like the original game.

Furthermore, the game promises to feature new cinematics, new gameplay mechanics, expanded scenarios and puzzles, and save rooms.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
unity
Y4C.gif

laynelane

It seems like a very ambitious project. Good on them for doing it. I still wish Capcom would give this game the remake treatment they've given other titles in the franchise.

Kokoloko85

I hope Capcom works on Code Veronica after RE4.
If they fix some of the issues its one of the best ( and longest ) classic style Resident Evil Games.

Along with RE1, RE Zero, Code Veronica has some of the most Lore information for Resident Evil fans. I love the lore and story on the Ashford Family and how they are the founders of Umbrella along with Spencer and Marcus. The Setting and mansion is also some of the best in the series.

Just fix some of the issues, don’t skip or cut parts out and it will be awesome

I just want a Steam port of the original game. I don't think particularly highly of it (I've always thought that Code Veronica was the moment that Resident Evil jumped the shark) but I'd just like to have the complete mainline collection on Steam.

Is Unity still that bad?
Can someone confirm if recent releases suffer from the same problems?
Genshin Impact was made with Unity and it's gorgeous. Goes to show how it all depends on the dev team to really get the most out of an engine.
xBPx8Qe.png

Actually I was referring to the engine's performance, as graphics wise Unity is pretty competent.
I remember it used to suffer from stutters and low performance in some particular cases for most games.
Genshin is a shining example of performance in the engine as well, at least on PC. I remember hearing the PS4 version had a 30fps lock, but from what I heard (I don't play it on console) the PS5 version is on par with the PC version.

As for other games, I genuinely don't know. What I do know is that Genshin has completely dispelled all the "Unity bad" I've heard for years, because if these Chinese devs can finesse the engine that well, then any dedicated team can.

CamHostage

I see.
I guess [Unity Engine] gets a bad rep because it's more accessible and attracts more unexperienced people, which results in some bad performance.

Well, there's for sure some garbage that's made with Unity, but there's also plenty of garbage made with Unreal engine.

Unity's rep comes more from the good games that people wanted to be great from developers that seemed capable but that suffered technical problems nevertheless... which unfortunately are not uncommon to Unity. You can read a little more about Unity from both player and developer perspectives on a recent Unity Engine 2021 thread.

...That said, RE Code Veronica Remake is a fan project. Of course it's Unity. And it looks nice in Unity, showing some good work for a fan-made creation. Calm down, let the fans make their thing that you won't be paying for even if they do manage to survive the legal gauntlet and get it out there.

Last edited:

Banned
I see.
I guess it gets a bad rep because it's more accessible and attracts more unexperienced people, which results in some bad performance.

well then there has yet to be a single game out there made by an experienced developer I guess, as the only Unity Engine games that dont run like complete ass are either 2D, 2.5D or they look like a PS2 era game.
and there's no exception to this

Stuart360

It seems pointless as it will only get shut down. Plus i'm 99% sure Capcom will do a proper remake of it at some point.

rapid32.5

As a fan I prefer the original look XB360 version of the game. Unity looks like trash, but it's a great effort from a fan nonetheless.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
well then there has yet to be a single game out there made by an experienced developer I guess, as the only Unity Engine games that dont run like complete ass are either 2D, 2.5D or they look like a PS2 era game.
and there's no exception to this
Spoken in the same thread Genshin Impact was posted as an example in. Trolls gonna troll...🤷🏾‍♂️

Kuranghi

Actually I was referring to the engine's performance, as graphics wise Unity is pretty competent.
I remember it used to suffer from stutters and low performance in some particular cases for most games.
Both videos show extremely bad frame pacing/stutters.

That's Unity for you.
Unity's rep comes more from the good games that people wanted to be great from developers that seemed capable but that suffered technical problems nevertheless... which unfortunately are not uncommon to Unity. You can read a little more about Unity from both player and developer perspectives on a recent Unity Engine 2021 thread.

From my experience there seems to be some kind of issue with stuttering on camera panning where the camera movement isn't updated at the same rate as the current refresh rate, so it looks like every X frame is being dropped and looks unpleasant. It isn't tied to any kind of system bottleneck afaik and when its present it even happens at the lowest settings and resolution the game can support.

So even if it was "bad coding" issues like Arkham Knight in UE3(.5), at least with that you can brute force through frametime spikes and get smooth performance by using a GPU that didnt exist when AK came out. Thats not the case here and the problem persists no matter what I do. I've had the problem in a bunch of games, often its related to the the engine using borderless window by default instead of exclusive fullscreen and you having to use a command-line argument to get the game to use ex-fullscreen but that also doesn't always fix it.

Exo One and Outer Wilds are two games where I was never able to solve it (Well actually I did solve it once... for 10 mins in Exo One by setting my output to 1440p@120hz and then using external programs to cap the fps to 60 and hide the tear-line, but thats just getting round the issue in a weird way most can't/won't be able to), but I didn't like Outer Wilds anyway so didnt go back and try it again with newer tools I've found out about since I played it (ie Scanline-Sync in RTSS).

I beleive its tied to how the engine handles object/camera update rates + synchronization because even if you force ex-fullscreen (and disable fullscreen optimisations in windows 10 but you should be doing that on every .exe anyway) and use external sync solutions it doesn't make fix it often. Many developers of Unity engine games seem to not have the issue so perhaps its the result of a off-the-shelf module within Unity that people are using that has the issue and so it persists across many titles.

Ori 2 had it at launch but it was because they didnt put ex-fullscreen as a menu option until a month later patch. You could already force it via the command-line on launch day though and that fixed 99% of the stutters so was just a (big) oversight on the devs part. The remaining stutters were fixed with a performance patch that altered how it loaded the map as you moved, although tiny autosave stutters are still present today but I accept that because all engines have it (RE Engine is really bad for the loading stutters, if you constantly run through the rooms/map it happens quite often in RE8 for example).

I emailed the dev of Exo One and after some back and forth he said this:

"Thanks for sending through your details. This one is tricky, I don’t see anything obvious in your log files to indicate there’s a potential issue. It’s a strange effect and I’d say it’s unlikely to be a performance related issue, I’m thinking maybe more driver related? Anything you can think of that alters the default settings for the way your monitor and video card run, for example some monitors also allow hardware level frame rate locks and the like, is worth disabling to see if it changes.

Unity may be a potential cause as well combined with the hardware if things are expecting exact frame rates, I’ve come across this sort of thing before where not everything is as perfectly frame-aligned as Unity suggests but unfortunately they don’t acknowledge the issue.

Sorry I can’t offer more at the moment, we will keep an eye on it. Thanks for reaching out."

Which was then I started to go looking for others having the problem (users and devs) and started to piece to together what the issues are. Probably the reason this issues crops up so much and there hasn't been a concerted effort to fix it is because most PC users already run games at too high a setting and/or resolution + at the wrong refresh rate to maintain the v-sync lock, which introduces v-sync stuttering anyway and thats way worse/will just blend in with the problems I've spoken of above so they wouldn't bring this up.

I'm a total nerd who's loved tweaking games and settings for 20+ years and I didn't fully understand all the forms of stuttering and how they are introduced until about 5 years ago so I'm sure it'd be a kind of "I just thought thats how games moved" effect for most people if I were to point these things out + them usually being hidden by way worse problems with how the game is configured (eg v-sync stutter) makes it a fool's errand anyway.

TL;DR - Yes Unity CAN make a game suck by having these stuttering problems but most major teams seem to have devs onboard that can bypass, avoid or mitigate the issue by whatever means. So while its reductive to say a game will definitely be crap (technically) just because its made in Unity Engine, there is definitely a not-small chance it could have these problems if the dev isn't aware of them/doesn't know why they happen and therefore avoid them.

If you are a big "stuttering-noticer" then you'll see it, if you don't really get bothered by v-sync stutter (when you drop below refresh rate) then this won't bother you at all.

Last edited:

CamHostage

From my experience there seems to be some kind of issue with stuttering on camera panning where the camera movement isn't updated at the same rate as the current refresh rate, so it looks like every X frame is being dropped and looks unpleasant...
{}
TL;DR - Yes Unity CAN make a game suck by having these stuttering problems but most major teams seem to have devs onboard that can bypass, avoid or mitigate the issue by whatever means. So while its reductive to say a game will definitely be crap (technically) just because its made in Unity Engine, there is definitely a not-small chance it could have these problems if the dev isn't aware of them/doesn't know why they happen and therefore avoid them.

Good post, even-handed take on the core engine issues... but so, hopefully, that's a good end of the conversation here about Unity?

This RE CodeVeronica project is being made in Unity. We can either check it out, not check it out, or somehow join the team and use our game-making knowledge (of which I have none, so I have no choice myself) to steer whoever these fan-developers are towards a different engine if it bothers us enough. Otherwise, it's better to use other threads about Unity to talk about Unity, and try to avoid us turning every game-on-Unity Engine thread into a litigation of its issues. Games will be made on Unity, particularly low-budget or fan-made games. Ignore it or hope it gets better, but mostly talk about the product, for the good of the product.

Also, website (while it lasts) which also has a Discord that may have more info.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Good post, even-handed take on the core engine issues... but so, hopefully, that's a good end of the conversation here about Unity?

This RE CodeVeronica project is being made in Unity. We can either check it out, not check it out, or somehow join the team and use our game-making knowledge (of which I have none, so I have no choice myself) to steer whoever these fan-developers are towards a different engine if it bothers us enough. Otherwise, it's better to use other threads about Unity to talk about Unity, and try to avoid us turning every game-on-Unity Engine thread into a litigation of its issues. Games will be made on Unity, particularly low-budget or fan-made games. Ignore it or hope it gets better, but mostly talk about the product, for the good of the product.

Also, website (while it lasts) which also has a Discord that may have more info.

Yeah sorry, wrong place for that wall-of-text analysis, got a bit carried away since its taken up a lot of my thought in the past.

I also agree its a great engine for people starting out and I wish these devs well in creating their vision.

edit - I just updated my post with the email from the dev of Exo One.

Last edited:
Well, there's for sure some garbage that's made with Unity, but there's also plenty of garbage made with Unreal engine.
The irony is that there's only garbage in unity because it's using c#. Hence the garbage collection spikes / stuttering that everyone is complaining about. That's not to say you can't write c# code that generates no garbage though.

Barakov

Gold Member
Looks.....fine, I guess. What I'm really bothered by is the derpy face Claire makes every time she closes a door.

I'm still bitter Sony pressured Capcom to rename that game from Resident Evil 3 to Code Veronica. I really hope CV will get the official remake treatment, because this fan project will be shut down in a sec. Kudos to the devs.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Cease and desist in 5...4...3......

Capcom have been pretty cool about it, they let fans basically completely recreate the game for RE4 HD Project.

They're the farthest thing from Nintendo in terms of being precious with their IP.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Yep. They'll probably announce their own remake in due course and this one will be completely forgotten about.

Top Bottom