• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fanfiction: Do you think Ubisoft could have made a better CyberPunk 2077 than CDPR if given the same time and budget?

Who would you have preferred make 2077 between the two?

• CDPR

Votes: 109 63.4%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 63 36.6%

• Total voters

Marty-McFly

Banned
Let me preface by saying I know this is totally random, and that Ubisoft is not everyone's favourite developer (neither is CDPR post Cyberpunk), but if I could see anyone else doing a game like 2077, it would be them. Let's face it.... Rockstar, Sony studios, Nintendo or anyone else you think has the open world chops to make this game happen already have their priorities, and let's be clear, Cyberpunk is nothing more than an open world action game with light RPG elements and nigh every AAA publisher is doing those these days.

Question: If Ubisoft were commissioned to the project and given the same budget and time to create the game (300 million dollars, 9 years), do you think what they could have created would have surpassed CDPR's efforts?

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Not at all.

stupid question
Where would Ubisoft come up short in your opinion?

Because as far as open world complexity goes they are far, far ahead of CDPR in my opinion. I don't see any of the rpg or story elements of Cyberpunk being particularly riveting beyond standard Ubisoft fare either.

Don't forget most Ubisoft projects we see are churned out a lot faster than 9 years, and here they would have a 300 million dollar budget as well.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I myself not fan of CPR's games but even I can tell they better developers than Ubisoft. The only game ever liked from them was Mario + Rabbites because that game had actual passion behind it, games like FarCry, Assasin's Creed and Watchdogs in other hand felt like made in factory.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The Simpsons GIF

Marty-McFly

Banned
Maybe. CDPR absolutely incompetent in regard of gameplay and their openworld in CP2077 is embarassing joke. At least at those aspects ubisoft trumps them tremendously.
and these are the most fun aspects of an open world game in my opinion. CDPR's "writing" is arguably held in higher regard, but that's just not enough for me.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Where would Ubisoft come up short in your opinion?

Because as far as open world complexity goes they are far, far ahead of CDPR in my opinion. I don't see any of the rpg or story elements of Cyberpunk being particularly riveting beyond standard Ubisoft fare either.

Don't forget most Ubisoft projects we see are churned out a lot faster than 9 years, and here they would have a 300 million dollar budget as well.
In terms of open world complexity Ubisoft games are far far better than Ghost of Tsushima as well. Would you say though that Assassins creed are better games ?

« Complexity » is not the alpha & omega on which to judge all games

intbal

Ubisoft would have insisted on putting their, uh... ideas into the game. Even though it's a licensed property. It would have been technically sound, but a boring crapfest.

Techland would have done the best job.

Business

CP2077 has been such a disaster that is tempting to say any big studio in the world would have done a better job given the same time and budget.

RyRy93

I loved CP2077 but considering Ubisoft can make something like AC Odyssey in 3/4 years with less than half the budget I'd expect them to make something pretty amazing given that time and money on a game.
Rockstar could outdo them but you just know they'd fuck it up with their third person drunk controls.

Last edited:

Kupfer

As buggy, unfinished, rough, glitchy, partially stiff and different than expected cyberpunk was (is), it is at least an original game that stands out from others and goes its own way in many. Ubisoft has completely forgotten that since AC2 / Far Cry 3. As much as I was annoyed by the release of CP2077, I still played through it and had my fun and I'm even looking forward to the NextGen version and a second playthrough. I haven't touched Ubisoft games since Unity because they just feel cheap and uncharitable, everything is just formula money making.
So for me : CDPR > Ubisoft but still, CDPR has a lot to make up for.

SJRB

Gold Member
giphy.gif

For all its technical flaws Cyberpunk is still an incredible achievement in art direction, music and sound design. It's a visual masterpiece.

Have you even played a Ubi game lately? Bland, soulless, uninspiring, design-by-committee, bloated, microtransaction-ridden narrative disasters, each and every one of them.

UnNamed

Banned
A Ubisoft Cyberpunk would have been a less ambitious project, more repetitive, maybe with less bugs but not without bugs.

TastyPastry

I still take chance with cdpr. Ubisoft will be typical ubisoft template. It’ll be safe but hollow.

cyberpunk 2077 IS the typical ubisoft template, just with more eurojank and more non working perks, bad rpg systems, worse AI and a terrible loot and crafting system . you don't climb towers but open up the map and you get buried under hundreds of the same sidequests/ncpd scanner hustles. i hate what modern ubisoft has become but i have no doubt in my mind they would have made a better game than cdpr. writing might have been a tiny bit worse but let's be real here it's not like the writing in cyberpunk 2077 was anything to write home about either. only thing that might have been worse is the whole art direction. from a art and design standpoint night city is a 10/10 even if i would have loved it to be a bit more blade runner than futuristic los santos. cdpr still has one of the best if not the best art designers in the world. i would have probably still traded in the great art for fun gameplay and working AI.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Like most developers, CDPR takes way to many cues from Ubisoft's paint-by-number open world design philosphies.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
No, Ubisoft makes games that provide a fundamentally different experience, and the art design and general game design elements that are pervasive throughout Ubisoft games don't feel conducive to a gritty, presentation-focused cyberpunk game. CDPR just rushed it out the door.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Clearly the unpopular opinion here.
Yes.
I think Ubisoft could have made a better Cyberpunk 2077 than CDPR.

I dont know what went wrong with CP2077 but its a far cry from what I expect from a CDPR game.
Hell, honestly I think CP2077 being delayed basically till Holiday 2022 from CDPR would be leagues better than what weve got even now.
More time in oven less crunch and time to adapt to the new normal of Covid.

But Ubisoft have so many devs even with Covid they would have been able to bring out a better game.
Snowdrop engine with nextgen features and we would have been in for a treat.
It would ahve to be all down to them not rushing the project and basically pulling a R* and saying itll be ready when its ready.
No release date at announcement or only announce it closer to release than frikken 3 years out.

Ubisoft writing sux. CDPR writing R gud.
A Ubisoft Cyberpunk 2077 would have had the money time and fuck it lets do it to actually have Pondsmith on the team not just as a consultant but much more involved.
I really do think people sell Ubisoft way to short for what they are actually capable of.
Char_Image_MikePondsmith.png

For those that dont know Mike Pondsmith is the designer of the original Cyberpunk.
CDPR had him as a consultant but not really on the team.
Ubisoft have the money to pay his fee to be part of the team.

fermcr

Ubisoft already has a CyberPunk game in development (I think it's still in development) for quite some time... called Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Vagswarm

I don't think so. At best they could make it feel like an open world game, but I doubt the actual gameplay and story would be as good. The core of Cyberpunk 2077 is really solid, it just doesn't feel like an open world game or have any toys to play with. Ubisoft games aren't bad, but they tend to get repetitive for me.

NahaNago

Probably yeah. I kind of figure they are one of the few companies that could actually do it besides rockstar. I just don't see them making something like this though.

Allandor

Stupid question. Cyberpunk is a really great game. Yes it has some bugs and some performance issues on older consoles, but the game for itself is great. Even though there are some scenes I don't like (like in many games) it is still a great game.
Good thing about it is that you can play the main story in about 20h and everything else is optional. Witcher 3 was also really good but it was just to long. I didn't remember some story twists when I finally finished the game, just because the main story was stretched to long.

And by the way, Assassins Creed Odyssey also needed to long to reach the end of the main story but at least I liked the game. But Valhalla felt even longer with much less meaningfull things to do. Hour 15 to 60 was totally boring and most sidequests did nothing for the story or atmosphere.

b0uncyfr0

Ubisift would've done a typical Ubi game, go collect this, go collect that, then repeat another activity about 100 times. Its just not worth it. They're both trash imo.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
CDPR - even in the poor state the game was launched in, I still enjoyed playing it and completed it (note this was on PC, since from all accounts the console versions were really bad). I honestly can't remember the last Ubisoft game I completed. Looking at my games list, I have a whole bunch of Ubisoft games I have < 5h of playtime on - so I guess there is just something about the way they make games that doesn't appeal to me.

giphy.gif

For all its technical flaws Cyberpunk is still an incredible achievement in art direction, music and sound design. It's a visual masterpiece.

Have you even played a Ubi game lately? Bland, soulless, uninspiring, design-by-committee, bloated, microtransaction-ridden narrative disasters, each and every one of them.
Yeah this.

The game from art design and visual stand point is bonkers. They made a realized Cyberpunk world, as shallow as it is when you try to dig deeper.

It's just what it set out to achieve with its marketing hype, and what they delivered fell far too short that you could argue you were sold a bill of fake goods.

Larxia

Ubisift would've done a typical Ubi game, go collect this, go collect that, then repeat another activity about 100 times. Its just not worth it. They're both trash imo.
Isn't that what Cyberpunk 2077 already does though? I heard tons of things about 100+ identical missions to do everywhere, map filled with icons etc.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I think the game part would have been better but the world, characters and plot would have been worse.

Flabagast

Isn't that what Cyberpunk 2077 already does though? I heard tons of things about 100+ identical missions to do everywhere, map filled with icons etc.
What the fuck ?

Man people are really minsinformed about the game. Sure the map can seem cluttered (but you've got to know that most of the icons are shops or fast travel points and not activities to do or collect) but nearly every quest (main or side) has a strong narrative delivery and let you play in a Deus-Ex style immersive sim way with multiple options . Some of them are really really well told and cinematic with unique twists and turns, just like the witcher 3.

And except for 15 unique tarot cards (that all concur to a bigger narrative in a dedicated side quest) there is no collectathon at all in the game.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Whenever I try to play a recent Ubisoft game, it feels like work. Most of it is a grind of repetitive tasks.
CP 2077, although having it's issues, is a fun game. I rarely felt like I was just grinding to level up or get a gun or gear.

Also, the writing on Ubisoft games always seems vapid, bland and devoid of life. It really seems like something written by someone in an office, with a checklist.
The writing on a game like Witcher 3 and CP2033, is more real, more life like. And more interesting a fun to listen.

Top Bottom