• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan Remakes Silent Hill 2 In Unreal Engine 5 Using Original Assets

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As seen by DSO Gaming, a YouTube channel that goes by the name Silent has uploaded a video which showcases the methods that have gone into recreating aspects of Silent Hill 2 in Unreal Engine 5, importing assets from the original sequel. Essentially, this means that it's not a full remake, though it's still being built from the ground up and is an impressive remaster, as the report calls it. As a result, this project incorporates some modern game development techniques, such as ray tracing and dynamic shadows, and also features both third and first-person perspectives.

00:00 - yes, i don't understand what i'm saying
00:53 - Part 1 - Extracting Assets
04:20 - Part 2 - Character Model
06:55 - Part 3 - Graphics, New Gameplay Features
14:01 - Part 4 - "I see that town"
16:52 - Conclusion

Just stop. Make your own stuff. If you aren't creative enough, then just use your talents to get a job making what someone else tells you to make.

Kaachan

Seen this done with so many different games before but I don't think I will ever understand it. It just doesn't look right :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Ben87fr

Can we stop with all the unreal engine 5 shit ? Especially the fan remake kind ?!

Last edited:

Deerock71

Just stop. Make your own stuff. If you aren't creative enough, then just use your talents to get a job making what someone else tells you to make.
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

CamHostage

Alright maybe we need to cool it a bit with all these 'fan remake in UE5' concepts lol.

To be fair, this is an actual fan remake in UE5.

Imported models and textures, application of textures and effects adjusted for modern execution and errors, replication and replacement of movement mechanics, an analysis of incompatible effects and outdated compromise techniques (such as the background mountains being just one big painting,) etc. This isn't just a fan-edited metahuman slapped on the UE avatar and then some kit-bashed urinals and bathroom parts with grimy horror textures/materials smeared on top of them that they then set a cinematic camera to fly over slowly for a pre-rendered cinematic and called it a "remake" project.

It's only one room and there's no "play" to it besides walking about a bathroom (and going by how inexperienced the guy is, I'm not sure he'll actually get very far with it,) but this is what it would take to do just the baseline job of not porting but remaking Silent Hill in a new engine... and it looks like a whole lot of work just to remake a game that's already made, so good luck to you, Silent.

Last edited:

op22

Haha. Amazing. The mirror actually being just a hole is also fascinating.
GKuDvTB.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom