• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan remake for Tomb Raider 2 "The Dagger Of Xian" gets new screenshots & environments art video

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Back in September 2016, a thread was posted about the fan tech demo remake of the second Tomb Raider game in Unreal Engine 4: Tomb Raider The Dagger Of Xian.
Created by Nicobass, that demo showcased what Tomb Raider 2 could look like in a modern-day engine. Today, some more cool stuff for all Tomb Raider fans out there has been released.

unknown.png

After almost one year of silence, Nicobass shared two new screenshots showing Lara Croft’s Manor.
At this point, we don’t know whether Nicobass will release another tech demo for his Tomb Raider 2 Remake in Unreal Engine 4 that will allow player to explore this recreated manor.
Still, and similarly to the original 2017 version of Tomb Raider The Dagger Of Xian, these screenshots look absolutely gorgeous.

Tomb-Raider-The-Dagger-Of-Xian-new-1.jpg
Tomb-Raider-The-Dagger-Of-Xian-new-2.jpg
Tomb-Raider-2-Remake-Unreal-Engine-4-3.jpg
Tomb-Raider-2-Remake-Unreal-Engine-4-4.jpg

On the other hand, 3D artist Elijah Bulgakov has shared a video showing remakes of some Tomb Raider 2 environments.
Bulgakov came really close to the original material and these new environments look absolutely beautiful.
Elijah Bulgakov claimed that this demo reel was created prior to him joining the Tomb Raider 2 Remake team (which basically means that there is no plan right now to feature these levels in Tomb Raider The Dagger Of Xian).
Bulgakov has also shared on his ArtStation page some objects he created for the Croft Manor (that are most likely used in Nicobass’ screenshots)

unknown.png
unknown.png

Tomb-Raider-2-Remake-Unreal-Engine-4-2.jpg
Tomb-Raider-2-Remake-Unreal-Engine-4-1.jpg

It’s also worth mentioning that in 2017, Nicobass stated that he’ll work at the end of the level and the Croft Manor if the demo receives positive feedback.
Needless to say that this fan remake of Tomb Raider 2 has been praised by – pretty much – everyone so a new tech demo does sound possible.

ElMMquZWAAAA03C
unknown.png
ElLhVwrXEAApkKg
unknown.png

UPDATE 04/28/2021

v1.2 adds Photo Mode, Volumetric Lighting & more​

Also add a new water simulation rendering and new volumetric lighting
Now use Unreal Engine 4.21, and feature a Photo Mode
Various tweak and improvement (foliage, dead body's, Lara's animations...)

Quad gameplay (Thx to IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo for the heads-up <3):

EyewWqjWgAEVH7N
EyewWqmWgAkfIvJ

unknown.png
unknown.png

Download The Dagger Of Xian demo v1.2
NicoBass Twitter
Source (DSOG)

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Tomb Raider 2 Fan Remake V1.2 adds Photo Mode, Volumetric Lighting & more​

According to Nicobass, Version 1.2 adds new water simulation rendering, as well as new volumetric lighting. Moreover, the game now uses Unreal Engine 4.21, and features a Photo Mode.
It’s also worth noting that this new version of this Tomb Raider remake in Unreal Engine 4 comes with a number of performance improvements. It also allows for more foliage interaction, adds new dead body models, brings small improvements about Lara’s animations and more.

Download:

Source

TonyK

Honest question: there is at least one of these fan made remakes that has been finished and is playable from start to end?

Usually, news as "Silent hill 2 fan remake" translated it means: fan makes the initial bathroom scenario in unreal engine 4, nothing playable here.

II_JumPeR_I

Meanwhile SquareEnix celebrating the anniversary with pointless fan art and retro videos smh
I still hope to see at least a fucking collection of the og games for current consoles this year

OnionSnake

Banned
Meanwhile SquareEnix celebrating the anniversary with pointless fan art and retro videos smh
I still hope to see at least a fucking collection of the og games for current consoles this year
thought the rumor was a remake of the 3 classic games with the new engine?

II_JumPeR_I

thought the rumor was a remake of the 3 classic games with the new engine?
Nah that would be way too much work. Especially under SquareEnix with its unrealistic sales expectations.
I just expect the bare minimum. If anything playable gets released at all for the 25th anniversary.... :/

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Wow, this looks freakin' amazing. For a moment I thought I was dreaming, dreaming about the perfect classic Tomb Raider remake. This comes pretty close to this dream...

It even looks insanely awesome in motion.

Someone should hire this guy and the whole team and turn this into a full game. It would make so much money...

Last edited:

Elios83

Wow!
Tomb Raider 2 is my favourite in the series and these guys are really talented.
I played their chinese wall level and it could pass like something made professionally so looking at this new footage from Venice and Lara's house is really exciting for me.
At the same time though it's clear they won't be able to do a full remake on a reasonable time frame (the first level was released in 2017...) and the idiots at Square Enix are too busy making horrible TR games like Rise/Shadow of the Tomb Raider instead of something like this....

Last edited:
Top Bottom