• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Week 14, 2023 (Mar 27 - Apr 02)

Famitsu Sales: Week 14, 2023 (Mar 27 - Apr 02)

SOFTWARE

01./04. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.02.24} (¥5.980) - 21.014 / 357.157 (-23%)
02./01. [PS5] Resident Evil 4 # <ADV> (Capcom) {2023.03.24} (¥7.990) - 18.510 / 108.172 (-79%)
03./02. [PS4] Resident Evil 4 # <ADV> (Capcom) {2023.03.24} (¥7.990) - 16.604 / 101.975 (-81%)
04./00. [NSW] Winning Post 10 <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.30} (¥8.800) - 12.979 / NEW
05./06. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 12.426 / 4.972.063 (-17%)
06./08. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 10.762 / 3.969.635 (-11%)
07./09. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 10.377 / 5.224.493 (-4%)
08./10. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 8.133 / 3.091.142 (-2%)
09./00. [PS5] Winning Post 10 <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.30} (¥9.800) - 7.144 / NEW
10./11. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.04.29} (¥4.980) - 7.101 / 1.045.270 (-5%)

Top 10

NSW - 7
PS5 - 2
PS4 - 1

HARDWARE

dzN7k3u.jpg

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
The PS5 continues it's downward trend. Probably it still gonna take a few months until we see it's true baseline. It should estabilize next week due to Golden Week until it resumes it's downward trend.

Regardless, it doesn't look like 30k will be it's baseline. But like I said, we are a few months from knowing for sure.

I think we can also safely say that the PS5 won't surprass the Switch this year in terms of sales, which is to be expected.

RE4 Remake decline is worse than I thought. But it's doing well worldwide, so it's fine. Franchises will only find a good foothold in Japan when they launch in a Nintendo hardware, and the Switch 2 should launch in a year or so. So things should improve soon enough.

Other than that, there is nothing really noteworthy.

The PS5 continues it's downward trend. Probably it still gonna take a few months until we see it's true baseline. It should estabilize next week due to Golden Week until it resumes it's downward trend.

Regardless, it doesn't look like 30k will be it's baseline. But like I said, we are a few months from knowing for sure.

I think we can also safely say that the PS5 won't surprass the Switch this year in terms of sales, which is to be expected.

RE4 Remake decline is worse than I thought. But it's doing well worldwide, so it's fine. Franchises will only find a good foothold in Japan when they launch in a Nintendo hardware, and the Switch 2 should launch in a year or so. So things should improve soon enough.

There he is.

Mr.Phoenix

That's rather bold considering this year we wi get FF16, PS5 slim (which should be cheaper), and SM2. There is currently only like 80k between them. The switch would need like a 300k gap now to offset what the PS5 can do in Japan this year.

Nautilus

Banned
That's rather bold considering this year we wi get FF16, PS5 slim (which should be cheaper), and SM2. There is currently only like 80k between them. The switch would need like a 300k gap now to offset what the PS5 can do in Japan this year.
The Slim is a rumor, it's not something confirmed. And both FF XVI and Spiderman 2 are two franchises that are clearly aiming at a more western audience, even if they do have some universal appeal.

So after RE4 Remake impact being nonexistant, being one of the biggest releases of this year, coupled with Switch still getting games like Zelda, Pikmin 4, DLCs for Splatoon 3, and Pokemon, just to name a few, I feel confident of that not happening.

I'm happy to eat crow if the PS5 does indeed end up overtaking the Switch.

Nautilus

Banned
They post the same copy pasta in every one of these threads. Don't take them seriously.
It's not a copy pasta if what I'm writing in my posts are based on actual data, and especially the data relating to the one in the thread.

Just so you know.

Mr.Phoenix

The Slim is a rumor, it's not something confirmed. And both FF XVI and Spiderman 2 are two franchises that are clearly aiming at a more western audience, even if they do have some universal appeal.

So after RE4 Remake impact being nonexistant, being one of the biggest releases of this year, coupled with Switch still getting games like Zelda, Pikmin 4, DLCs for Splatoon 3, and Pokemon, just to name a few, I feel confident of that not happening.

Ok, so basically PS5sim is not happening this year, FF16 and SM2 are Western-focused games and won't move consoles in Japan is your argument?

Ok, got you.

Nautilus

Banned
Ok, so basically PS5sim is not happening this year, FF16 and SM2 are Western-focused games and won't move consoles in Japan is your argument?

Ok, got you.
Please, give me a link confirming the PS5 Slim. I'll be happy to admit I was wrong if there is an official confirmation of it happening that somehow slipped past me.

And yeah, FF XVI is really western inspired.I don't think anyone can deny that. About Spiderman 2, I don't know how popular he is on Japan, but I'm certain he is not as popular as in the US or Europe. I expect bumps out of those releases, not "PS5 will sell 90k every week after those releases".

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Funny how now that regular service for the anemic PS5 has resumed, all the regulars are back with the PS4/XSS copy pasta.
Yeah lol. Now they suddenly care how bad Xbox and PS4 are doing.

But that's enough from me. I'll focus on the topic at hand.

Woopah

Fun fact, PS4 us up 11,687% year on year

is Nintendo paying the japanese population not to buy Play Stations?
I guess if you think of it in terms of paying them in games.
What are you expecting for both platforms this year?

FF will come between TOTK and Pikmin 4, so I don't think it will be enough to put PS5 ahead for the year, and certainly not 300,000 ahead.
Please, give me a link confirming the PS5 Slim. I'll be happy to admit I was wrong if there is an official confirmation of it happening that somehow slipped past me.

And yeah, FF XVI is really western inspired.I don't think anyone can deny that. About Spiderman 2, I don't know how popular he is on Japan, but I'm certain he is not as popular as in the US or Europe. I expect bumps out of those releases, not "PS5 will sell 90k every week after those releases".
There's enough smoke for me to believe the PS5 Slim is real, but we will need to know price before we can judge. If its just a different shape and not a price cut I can't see it given too much of a long lasting boost.

Spiderman did 323,923 on PS4 so the sequel is likely to be the 2nd biggest game on PS5 this year. So definitely a major release.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

But you and me both know it's coming out this year, so why fake it?

MrA

Banned
Small drop on ps5 tells me 30k is the baseline, healthy not amazing but not bad either, better hold , even if tiny on, re4 ps5 is a good sign for ps5 software

smbu2000

Golden Week is the end of April/start of May. Still another 3 weeks until GW starts.

Robb

Gold Member
Switch closing in on 30M, wonder if it can beat the DS in due time. That’d be something else.

Nautilus

Banned
Fun fact, PS4 us up 179,650% year on year

I guess if you think of it in terms of paying them in games.

FF will come between TOTK and Pikmin 4, so I don't think it will be enough to put PS5 ahead for the year, and certainly not 300,000 ahead.

There's enough smoke for me to believe the PS5 Slim is real, but we will need to know price before we can judge. If its just a different shape and not a price cut I can't see it given too much of a long lasting boost.

Spiderman did 323,923 on PS4 so the sequel is likely to be the 2nd biggest game on PS5 this year. So definitely a major release.
Exactly. Even if there is reason to believe that there will be some sort of revision comming, there are too many unknown factors to make an assumption about it's impact on sales. And considering how well the PS5 is selling worldwide, I highly doubt a price cut is in the cards.

Yeah, but RE4 Remake was also a major release, and look how much that moved the needle.And while 330k is not low, it's also nothing monumental, or in the realm of being a killer app. Again, I expect bumps out of both of them, but anything other is unlikely.

Nautilus

Banned
But you and me both know it's coming out this year, so why fake it?
I don't know. It's been rumours, and there is a lot of smoke in the horizon, but we all have been burned quite a few times by these insiders, so I never take what thry say as a garantee, no matter how many of them say it.

Nautilus

Banned
Switch closing in on 30M, wonder if it can beat the DS in due time. That’d be something else.
Probably yeah. The Switch won't be substituted for at least another year, and even when it is, it's not like Nintendo will stop manufacturing it. At least not until the Switch 2 starts taking off.

Mr.Phoenix

Na I think you misunderstood me, I do not have any number in my head on how much either of them will sell this year. I do however know that there is only like an 80k swing or so in sales between them right now.

I am saying there would have to be like a 300k in the switches favor between them sales-wise for things like FF16, SM2 and a cheaper PS5 slim not to make a big enough dent for the Switch to still be on top for the year.

Nautilus

Banned
Na I think you misunderstood me, I do not have any number in my head on how much either of them will sell this year. I do however know that there is only like an 80k swing or so in sales between them right now.

I am saying there would have to be like a 300k in the switches favor between them sales-wise for things like FF16, SM2 and a cheaper PS5 slim not to make a big enough dent for the Switch to still be on top for the year.
Genuine question: If you don't have a number on your head on how much either of them will sell through the year, how do you know that the Switch needs a 300k lead in order to stay on top?

Mr.Phoenix

I don't have to do that dude... I can't say its happening any more than you can say its not happening.

We both are doing nothing but hypothesizing here. I have heard your argument, and you have heard mine... lets pick this up at the end of the year.

A I am saying is that, if its happening, and it does happen this year, and it does come with a price drop, I expect the PS5 to outsell the Switch everywhere, including japan.

onQ123

34k but it's still 34k more than Xbox Series sold this week that's 55x more than Series consoles

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't have to do that dude... I can't say its happening any more than you can say its not happening.

We both are doing nothing but hypothesizing here. I have heard your argument, and you have heard mine... lets pick this up at the end of the year.

A I am saying is that, if its happening, and it does happen this year, and it does come with a price drop, I expect the PS5 to outsell the Switch everywhere, including japan.

This is the most reasonable expectation to have. Not sure why he can't understand that.

Nautilus

Banned

You don't have to do it if you don't want to have a proper conversation. In that case, with all due respect, then don't bitch or complain when people point that out. Especially when you say you don't have any idea about how well both consoles will sell, but then pulls a "Switch needs 300k lead" out of nowhere.

Mr.Phoenix

Genuine question: If you don't have a number on your head on how much either of them will sell through the year, how do you know that the Switch needs a 300k lead in order to stay on top?
Simple... In 2016, the year that saw the PS4s and FF15. 1.7M PS4s were sold in japan. The PS5 is already tracking better than than what the PS4 as doing around the same time in 2016.

If right now,the switch already has a 300k+ lead, then would say, that's a lead the PS5 cannot overcome. And lets not forget, this is an end of life platform we are talking about with the switch. Even if its cheaper to acquire, its not going to be doing the same kinda numbers it was doing last year, or the year before that.

And honesty... I don't care that much about how well the PS5 sells or not... just felt it was weird you writing off the PS5 so early in the year because sales in japan are at around 30k/week.. You cant be dreaming up things that will supposedly do wonders for switches saels and in the same breath be dismissing all the things that are poised to do the same for the PS5.

Mr.Phoenix

You don't have to do it if you don't want to have a proper conversation. In that case, with all due respect, then don't bitch or complain when people point that out. Especially when you say you don't have any idea about how well both consoles will sell, but then pulls a "Switch needs 300k lead" out of nowhere.
Bitch or complain? By simply saying thats a bold claim you made and having my own opinion? That's bithcing and complaining?

Damn.. you take this shit seriously don't you... guess you are one I should avoid arent you?

anyways noted.

It's not a copy pasta if what I'm writing in my posts are based on actual data, and especially the data relating to the one in the thread.

Just so you know.

You write the exact same thing in every one of these threads, just using a few different words and sentences here and there. But what you're effectively saying is a repeat of the same thing you say in your other posts in previous threads of the same topic, almost like by being repetitious you are hoping to will your beliefs into reality.

At least that is what it seems like.

onQ123

Sure it is, but kind of sad to compare yourself to Xbox, which always had horrible sales in japan, isn't it?
It's the only other home console that's not a portable hybrid. Take a look around

It's at 3 million in Japan and ahead of PS4 in the same timeframe all while selling at a higher price.

Nautilus

Banned
Simple... In 2016, the year that saw the PS4s and FF15. 1.7M PS4s were sold in japan. The PS5 is already tracking better than than what the PS4 as doing around the same time in 2016.

If right now,the switch already has a 300k+ lead, then would say, that's a lead the PS5 cannot overcome. And lets not forget, this is an end of life platform we are talking about with the switch. Even if its cheaper to acquire, its not going to be doing the same kinda numbers it was doing last year, or the year before that.

And honesty... I don't care that much about how well the PS5 sells or not... just felt it was weird you writing off the PS5 so early in the year because sales in japan are at around 30k/week.. You cant be dreaming up things that will supposedly do wonders for switches saels and in the same breath be dismissing all the things that are poised to do the same for the PS5.
Ok, now this I can understand and respect. I obviously disagree, because trends are not that easy to predict, but I can respect that.

Nautilus

Banned
Bitch or complain? By simply saying thats a bold claim you made and having my own opinion? That's bithcing and complaining?

Damn.. you take this shit seriously don't you... guess you are one I should avoid arent you?

anyways noted.
Just stating the obvious. Without the context you provided after, people can't take you seriously when you say things like "I dob't know how much they will sell, but The Switch needs 300k of "fat" because reasons".

But sure, just brush it off or make a note as you wish.

Nautilus

Banned
You write the exact same thing in every one of these threads, just using a few different words and sentences here and there. But what you're effectively saying is a repeat of the same thing you say in your other posts in previous threads of the same topic, almost like by being repetitious you are hoping to will your beliefs into reality.

At least that is what it seems like.
And what, prey tell, should I talk about when most weeks, at least for the past 2 months, the biggest news are the declining PS5 sales?

Or should I do as the others, and ignore the PS5 hardware numbers as if nothing is wrong?

Nautilus

Banned
It's the only other home console that's not a portable hybrid. Take a look around

It's at 3 million in Japan and ahead of PS4 in the same timeframe all while selling at a higher price.
But the Switch, by being a hybrid console, is also a home console.

And at worst, it's also a gaming console period. Or are you implying that the Switch performance doesn't influence at all the PS5 sales? That Switch gamers would never be interested in the PS5 and it's games and vice versa?

Oof85

Yeah but the Switch has two games which will probably dwarf those games you named combined still ahead, and Nintendo hasn't revealed the 2nd half of 2023 title list either.

It's not written in stone in either direction but Japan is probably one of the few places where I wouldn't bet on Playstation.

onQ123

But the Switch, by being a hybrid console, is also a home console.

And at worst, it's also a gaming console period. Or are you implying that the Switch performance doesn't influence at all the PS5 sales? That Switch gamers would never be interested in the PS5 and it's games and vice versa?

I'm saying that Switch being a hybrid means that it's not limited to the home console market in Japan.

Top Bottom