• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu teases “huge scoop” for 4th June, akin to Wired’s PS5 article (likely Sega related)

chigstoke

Someone on the Daily Express comments section of all places (if you're in the UK you will know what a fucking shit rag this paper is with numerous others) said Xbox to rebrand as SEGA in Japan.

Not a chance in hell, and gamers aren't stupid, it's still an MS/Xbox system at the end of the day, it's popularity would still pale in comparison over there to the PS5 and Switch.

Someone on the Daily Express comments section of all places (if you're in the UK you will know what a fucking shit rag this paper is with numerous others) said Xbox to rebrand as SEGA in Japan.

Not a chance in hell, and gamers aren't stupid, it's still an MS/Xbox system at the end of the day, it's popularity would still pale in comparison over there to the PS5 and Switch.

They did say it's a "technical-related" thing with SEGA to go down next week so...outside of them making their own console (SATURN 2 BABEEEEY!!), IF it's something that guy was saying is on the level of PS5 reveal...what other options does that leave?

You'd be surprised how well rebranded console products for other markets have done in the past. SEGA never manufactured the Master System or MegaDrive in Brazil, for example. That was handled by TecToy. But thanks to that those are still arguably the most popular consoles in that country to this day.

Marketing and brand perception has a great way of making people believe what you want them to. IF SEGA were to get branding and distribution rights to XSX in Japan and other Asian regions (Lockhart/Series S rights as well I'd assume), they've already shown they can cater pretty specifically to that region and vast majority of gamers there would associate the system with SEGA rather than Microsoft.

It's not out of the realm of possibility because again, the other options are: they're making their own console from the ground-up (why?), they are making a new powerful arcade board (possible, and I'd like this option personally), or....that's it. It's not a game announcement-related thing according to the Japanese source, it's a technology-related reveal. So it's either one of those three options or the source is lying.

I've heard some rumors of a Saturn Mini and while I'd personally dig it, that doesn't fit the scope of what the source was implying this to be.

I honestly don't have any idea what to expect. I don't think Sega is being bought. I don't think it's a new Sega console.

I'm really thinking this is maybe SEGA getting branding and distribution rights to XSX/Lockhart in Japan and Asian territories. Would be a way to get a foot back in the console hardware market but most of the financial burden being shouldered by another party, and attach the systems to a brand Asian players are more familiar with (even though I've heard Xcloud doing very well in places like South Korea).

The people dismissing this either don't know about how these kind of business opportunities work, don't know SEGA's past history with themselves licensing out their hardware to other hardware partners (JVC, Samsung, Hitachi, TecToy etc.) for distribution rights in specific regions, SEGA and Microsoft's relationship going as far back as Windows CE on the Dreamcast, or have their fanboy goggles on too tight.

If it's not a game announcement, and said to be "on the level of a PS5 reveal", honestly what else does that leave? Besides maybe a powerful arcade board more powerful than XSX and PS5 which, NGL, would be dope as hell, and what I'm hoping the announcement is if the other obvious option doesn't happen.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
They did say it's a "technical-related" thing with SEGA to go down next week so...outside of them making their own console (SATURN 2 BABEEEEY!!), IF it's something that guy was saying is on the level of PS5 reveal...what other options does that leave?

You'd be surprised how well rebranded console products for other markets have done in the past. SEGA never manufactured the Master System or MegaDrive in Brazil, for example. That was handled by TecToy. But thanks to that those are still arguably the most popular consoles in that country to this day.

Marketing and brand perception has a great way of making people believe what you want them to. IF SEGA were to get branding and distribution rights to XSX in Japan and other Asian regions (Lockhart/Series S rights as well I'd assume), they've already shown they can cater pretty specifically to that region and vast majority of gamers there would associate the system with SEGA rather than Microsoft.

It's not out of the realm of possibility because again, the other options are: they're making their own console from the ground-up (why?), they are making a new powerful arcade board (possible, and I'd like this option personally), or....that's it. It's not a game announcement-related thing according to the Japanese source, it's a technology-related reveal. So it's either one of those three options or the source is lying.

I've heard some rumors of a Saturn Mini and while I'd personally dig it, that doesn't fit the scope of what the source was implying this to be.
MicroSega :D

chigstoke

You know, I'd forgotten about how well TecToy had done in Brazil with the Mega Drive. Correct yeah they sort of ran away with it down there along with the PS2 still remaining insanely popular as well. Tehcnical team related does also make me think something has to be hardware related. We're told it's not DC2 (I'd just about weep with joy), but that's not to say it won't be a console either *insert planet or moon name here*. It's apparently a revolution, SEGA Revolution? Good name for a system.

That'd be my hope. If it was something such as SEGA getting distro and marketing rights to the system over there, I really do hope they knock it out of the park (my SEGA fanboyism would want the SEGA branded verion of the system lol).

IF it's a branding deal, then I definitely think we will get Saturn and DC games on game pass. Saturn mini did cross my mind but that isn't really revolutionary, would love one though.

Good shout on arcade board, never thought of that.

It should be called SegaSaturnX. And MS should forget about their 1st party games in Japan anyway. SegaSaturn was popular thanks to:
- looots of japanese board games every years
- anime RPG, fighters
- simulations and horses games
- family games based on japanese culture
- japanese sports
- visual RPG
- idol games
- shoot them up
- classic 2d ports
- Sakura Taisen
- loooots of 2d RPG from japanese computers
- SEGA arcade ports.

If MS doesn't come with that, it's dead before arival (they have zero culture with those kind of products). But it'll be a lot of fun to watch (that's why buying Konami to conquer Japan made sense).

But this rumor is not new and a fantasy dream since 360 that keeps coming.

Last edited:

yurinka

Maybe it's a service that would run on PC, the 3 consoles and mobile and that would feature both new and classic Sega games, in addition to the annoncement of many games from classic IPs following the Sonic Mania and Dotemu way. Like their EA Origin. Download based, but also available on PS Now, xCloud and Stadia.

The announcement also seems to be the same day -in addition to Sega's 60th anniversary- that Sony is rumored to have the PS5 showcase, so maybe if they only partnered with a single console is with Sony and not MS.

Last edited:
Maybe it's a service that would run on PC, the 3 consoles and mobile and that would feature both new and classic Sega games, in addition to the annoncement of many games from classic IPs following the Sonic Mania and Dotemu way. Like their EA Origin.
Subscribe to SEGA channel to stream your games everywhere and dowload them on selected hadwares. It makes sense.

lock2k

Banned
It would be really funny if something happened between MS and Sega considering Sega was born as an American company.

A SEGA classic system able to emu all its consoles and all its Arcade boards up to Model 3 LOL . Hopefully it be good no matter what mind. Love to see SEGA the series X Hardware for its Arcade divisions

Maybe it's a service that would run on PC, the 3 consoles and mobile and that would feature both new and classic Sega games, in addition to the annoncement of many games from classic IPs following the Sonic Mania and Dotemu way. Like their EA Origin. Download based, but also available on PS Now, xCloud and Stadia.

The announcement also seems to be the same day -in addition to Sega's 60th anniversary- that Sony is rumored to have the PS5 showcase, so maybe if they only partnered with a single console is with Sony and not MS.

I think you’re right on the online service. It won’t be exclusive to anyone, but maybe there’s a link up of some kind with sony. We need model 1 to 3 ports in 4k and remasters of their best games. Wouldn’t mind a jsrf remake as i never completed it on the xbox years back. Not sure whether it would be possible on other consoles though...

I don't believe for one second that Microsoft will let SEGA rebrand the XsX over there, especially when SEGA's brand name has never sat well with Japan Console wise (only the Saturn was popular but it still paled in comparison to Playstation).

It is probably an exclusive deal with Sony/Nintendo/MS like they did with Sonic back during the Wii U days, but with Hardware components.

Saw this from the SSG...maybe there's a connection. I'd be super pumped to have access to the catalogs from the Dreamcast and Saturn on the Xbox!

All DC games are BC exclusive to Sony.

Microsoft released the BC press release today for damage control

Edit. OR it has something to do with the copyright of games that Sega own and Sony want.?

Last edited:
Microsoft helped build the dream cast and the idea for the original Xbox was because J allard and Co wanted a Dream cast 2 (true story) so they built Xbox.

Is it out of the realms of possibility that they helped Sega build a console/handheld with Xbox gamepass on there (or the other way around)?

Geki-D

Banned
Does anyone really care about Sega anymore?
They own Atlus, so they own the Persona franchise which is pretty big in terms of reception & sales, even globally. They also own the Total War franchise which I think does well and they make Yakuza. Pretty much it really, and even Yakuza isn't that big outside of Japan despite the hype the games get online on forums.

It's really hard to get hyped about anything Sega related these days.

Radical_3d

They own Atlus, so they own the Persona franchise which is pretty big in terms of reception & sales, even globally. They also own the Total War franchise which I think does well and they make Yakuza. Pretty much it really, and even Yakuza isn't that big outside of Japan despite the hype the games get online on forums.

It's really hard to get hyped about anything Sega related these days.
Perdona and Yakuza sells pretty poorly in a Sonyland like Spain. I doubt they are so big outside of Japan.

Maybe Yakuza works better but Atlus franchises make 1K-2K here.

Last edited:
Does anyone really care about Sega anymore?

cb1f229dd8d321db59e6432239a173cc--game-of-thornes-all-games.jpg

Geki-D

Banned
Perdona and Yakuza sells pretty poorly in a Sonyland like Spain. I doubt they are so big outside of Japan.

Maybe Yakuza works better but Atlus franchises make 1K-2K here.
Yakuza doesn't do too well either, I'm more aware of Yakuza, Persona was a bit of a guess on my part. I know Persona tends to chart better than Yakuza in the west but looking it up, I see that P5 apparently made 3.2 million in december 2019... But that was since september 2016 across 2 platforms with a new gen refresh. ...So yeah, not exactly setting the world on fire either.

Looking at this list of best selling franchises, Sonic is at over 100 million which is pretty normal all things considered (a shit ton of games going back to 1991). Next they have Total War at 21 million, that's really good. Then Yakuza at 12 million which, when you consider the apparent hype for the franchise and the fact there are a million different Yakuza stand alone and re-release games really isn't all that great. Then Persona at 11.1 million, which is a series I don't know much about but there are apparently 37 Persona games in this franchise including enhanced ports?! For so many games, that's a low number. The rest of their franchises are 5 million and below unless I missed one. I also don't know how compete that list is.

Going off this I can't imagine this news is a purchase. Buying them seems like a waste of money.

Eliciel

So where is the announcement? Would you hold a reveal Event on the 4th June If there is no build Up + announcement Phase? It's the 29th May and still no clear schedule. I doubt there will be an Event tbh.

PS9 will use the Dreamcast trademark because it is a literal dream simulator. Next week they will announce the Sony Sega partnership to make this a reality by 2050.

MS knew about this, which is why they are using the tagline “Power Your Dreams” this generation as a way to intercept their plans for Inception.

Meesh

Oh man... I've been waiting soooooo fucking long for a Sega-ton announcement.
I haven't been super let down in a while... just like the old days. Lol
Seriously though, if there's a console in the works I'd totally buy it, I have kids that don't know anything about the Sega days. It would be legit awesome to take them on launch day for this thing.
Feels almost like Christmas is around the corner, *weeeeeeee.*

DrAspirino

Banned
Given the hype journalists want to create over smoke and mirrors, I'd say it's one of these options:

1) A Sega Saturn/Dreamcast mini console with X amount of games. (a la snes mini)
2) A new arcade board/machine (probably VR augmented) releasing exclusively in Japan.
3) A commercial agreement with Microsoft to rebrand the Xbox in Japan (the less likely one IMO).
4) Some "Sega Channel" reboot service that plays on every single platform (yes, even Stadia).

I don't have my hopes up, since the PS5 announcement was just a freaking logo and nothing more., so you can't expect something bigger than that.

Max_Po

Banned
Given the hype journalists want to create over smoke and mirrors, I'd say it's one of these options:

1) A Sega Saturn/Dreamcast mini console with X amount of games. (a la snes mini)
2) A new arcade board/machine (probably VR augmented) releasing exclusively in Japan.
3) A commercial agreement with Microsoft to rebrand the Xbox in Japan (the less likely one IMO).
4) Some "Sega Channel" reboot service that plays on every single platform (yes, even Stadia).

I don't have my hopes up, since the PS5 announcement was just a freaking logo and nothing more., so you can't expect something bigger than that.

Well, you can definitely rule out #1. All the mini consoles were in reality weak which could barely "emulate" @ 720p decades old games. So making a Dreamcast/Saturn mini would be a huge time investment which does not come cheap.

Yoboman

Nishikawa-san said the news will "rile up the games industry" and that it's an exclusive scoop about a "game company that everyone loves".

Doesn't sound like MS or that it even has to do with multiple companies

Eanox

Sega releasing game gear 2.
A new handheld from Sega. I would love that since Sony will not have a handheld anymore. This will rile up the gaming industry. Sega vs Nintendo.
Sony vs MS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom