• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu teases “huge scoop” for 4th June, akin to Wired’s PS5 article (likely Sega related)

yurinka

Zenji Nishikawa said:
My column in next week’s issue of Famitsu is crazy. I got a huge scoop… It’s a world premiere article. And an exclusive. It may not be Nikkei or Weekly Bunshun, but if you want to know if it’s a scoop that big…it totally is! It’s a scoop from a game company that everyone loves. An insane scoop. Last year, Wired got the exclusive story on PlayStation 5, right? Other media didn’t. It’s that level of a scoop. I interviewed a certain company’s executive and technical staff, it’s really revolutionary… really, it’s a revolution.

It’ll be in Famitsu next Thursday. I already sent in my manuscript, so the proofs are being made now. It’s a scoop on a level that when the story comes out, other media will make a fuss to the company like, “Why didn’t you let us cover it?” Maybe people will say, “Who was the first to break that story?,” “It was Zenji Nishikawa, right?” It’s a scoop as major as the PlayStation 5 scoop. I just wanted to say that in advance.

I can’t say [anything more] here, but it’s OK for me to tease it (laughs). I was told that it’s OK to do so at various meetings. It’s being talked about in other places. Just not by the media. It’ll rile up the games industry.

Gematsu said:
After this, Nishikawa reportedly confirmed the scoop is Sega-related after accidentally letting the name slip when mentioning the company’s public relations. However, it did not seem problematic. After his slip-up was pointed out in the comments, Nishikawa said, “Did I say Sega? Then it’s Sega.” He also said it’s not Dreamcast 2.

While we cannot be certain whether Nishikawa was simply teasing when confirming the company as Sega, June 3 does mark the 60th anniversary of the Japanese giant, meaning there could be some news around that date. The company began its 60th anniversary promotional campaign back in March.

Thanks, Games Talk.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/jap...rticle-for-june-4-due-issue-of-weekly-famitsu

'Revolutionary' -very likely Sega related- news comparable to the Wired PS5 reveal coming June 4th and not Dreamcast 2 related? This is the day when Sony is rumored to have the PS5 showcase...

Maybe Sony bought Sega? Or MS bought Sega? Or maybe PS5 still has some major hardware/service/feature surprise to be announced? Sanic the movie confirmed?

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Isn’t Sega part of Sammy studio or something like that ? Or are they alone ?
I wonder if Sony or Microsoft bought Sega iPs

either that or it’s virtua fighter 6 but that isn’t as big as a wired article .

//DEVIL//

"Next-gen hardware spec" big? Gotta be a purchase. Sony doesn't need Sega to fill-out their portfolio, but Microsoft could sure make sure of them...
What iPs though ? Microsoft doesn’t lack IPs more than they lack talent . They have huge IP backlog from Rare alone that they don’t use .
If they can get Sega to be Microsoft japan gaming division then that’s huge .
However as far as I understand the law in Japan and I could be wrong, a company that isn’t Japanese can’t purchase a Japanese company that easily if possible even . Something related to being protected by the government or national something I forgot

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/jap...rticle-for-june-4-due-issue-of-weekly-famitsu

'Revolutionary' -very likely Sega related- news comparable to the Wired PS5 reveal coming June 4th and not Dreamcast 2 related? This is the day when Sony is rumored to have the PS5 showcase...

Maybe Sony bought Sega? Or MS bought Sega? Or maybe PS5 still has some major hardware/service/feature surprise to be announced? Sanic the movie confirmed?

xhOL3c6.gif

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
In all seriousness, it's probably some stupid streaming service or mini-console that needs an internet connection to stream games 'flawlessly' or some crap....... using azure probably.

Another fracturing of the game industry and it will be a failure.

Well, the only loss is Persona.... what a pity. Nobody is going to play those on Xbox compared to PS.

Sony are so stupid, should have acquired something by now but just left everything MS did unanswered.

What sony have done is doubled down on their first party studios and kept them there like naughty dog, santa monica and insomniac. This is of more value right now than acquiring new studios who won’t produce anything of value for years to come. Remember when microsoft got arrogant and let Bungie and epic games go and how much of a mistake the purchase of rare was? The only acquisitions that would create waves would be rockstar, but there’s no chance of that.

Bryank75

Banned
What sony have done is doubled down on their first party studios and kept them there like naughty dog, santa monica and insomniac. This is of more value right now than acquiring new studios who won’t produce anything of value for years to come. Remember when microsoft got arrogant and let Bungie and epic games go and how much of a mistake the purchase of rare was? The only acquisitions that would create waves would be rockstar, but there’s no chance of that.
I think Bethesda would be a good purchase if they can get them at 2.5B.
Then just let them publish on PS5 and PC (as the PC base is large for Bethesda) let them operate autonomously for the most part, maybe giving them technical support and collaboration opportunities.

But I would also like to point out PlayStation did hire an acquisitions expert...I think last year. So something may be on the cards.

But you're right, the 1st party standard is the most important, I just saw lots of talent get taken by MS lately though...like Drew Murray and others. Shame.

Last edited:

Eanox

What iPs though ? Microsoft doesn’t lack IPs more than they lack talent . They have huge IP backlog from Rare alone that they don’t use .
If they can get Sega to be Microsoft japan gaming division then that’s huge .
However as far as I understand the law in Japan and I could be wrong, a company that isn’t Japanese can’t purchase a Japanese company that easily if possible even . Something related to being protected by the government or national something I forgot
Tencent already bought 20% of Marvelous games. It’s possible.

if it is June 4 it could be Playstation related as well.

Dreams:
Imagined Sega and Sony working to release a hand held console. A joint venture from them, Managed by Sega to compete with Nintendo in Japan. Lol

//DEVIL//

Tencent already bought 20% of Marvelous games. It’s possible.

if it is June 4 it could be Playstation related as well.

Dreams:
Imagined Sega and Sony working to release a hand held console. A joint venture from them, Managed by Sega to compete with Nintendo in Japan. Lol
20% is not even close to take over . What people suggesting here is MS buying Sega as a whole and I don’t see this happening really . I mean I hope I could be wrong just so I can enjoy the drama and the salty tears . But I don’t think MS can even if they want to . I mean there is a reason why Spencer keeps on saying he would love to own a Japanese studio but never did and it’s Beene year if not more since the last comment .

Bryank75

Banned
20% is not even close to take over . What people suggesting here is MS buying Sega as a whole and I don’t see this happening really . I mean I hope I could be wrong just so I can enjoy the drama and the salty tears . But I don’t think MS can even if they want to . I mean there is a reason why Spencer keeps on saying he would love to own a Japanese studio but never did and it’s Beene year if not more since the last comment .
I believe only some companies are truly protected... Sony being a key one. But there has been a lot of M&A activity in Japan in the last two years with smaller companies. So, I don't think Sega is particularly safe.

Ideally I would want the big 3 Japanese to merge into the Triforce of Sega, Nintendo, Sony.
If Xbox somehow gains exclusivity for either of these I may end up having to buy my first Xbox (though I will finally be able to play Killer Instinct! :D).

Last edited:
I think Bethesda would be a good purchase if they can get them at 2.5B.
Then just let them publish on PS5 and PC (as the PC base is large for Bethesda) let them operate autonomously for the most part, maybe giving them technical support and collaboration opportunities.

But I would also like to point out PlayStation did hire an acquisitions expert...I think last year. So something may be on the cards.

But you're right, the 1st party standard is the most important, I just saw lots of talent get taken by MS lately though...like Drew Murray and others. Shame.

Bethesda haven’t output anything of real value for a decade. Their biggest misstep has been focusing on open world online gaming. I do not see them as a great acquisition and certainly don’t think they will improve by going to Microsoft. I would say Sony needs to get from software on their side again, but have missed their chance in acquiring them due to the failure to support demons souls and the dark souls series success on multiplatform.

jts

...hate me...
A company buying Sega out isn’t any kind of revolution on a technical level. Nor it would be revealed as a magazine scoop. 0% chance.

A mini console isn’t a technical marvel either.

Eanox

What are you talking about? 20% granted tencent to be a major stock holder. If what you are telling is true. Why Would the Japanese government allow that?

And Tell me you are not thinking tencent 20% and Marvelous 80%?

Top Bottom