• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales Week 52, 2022: Pokemon Scarlet & Violet still top

Famitsu Sales: Week 52, 2022 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

SOFTWARE

01./01. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 375.665 / 4.338.931 (+44%)
02./02. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 121.173 / 3.687.814 (+76%)
03./06. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.04.29} (¥4.980) - 44.465 / 887.722 (+35%)
04./09. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 41.887 / 5.014.375 (+84%)
05./08. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 37.935 / 2.960.006 (+63%)
06./10. [NSW] Mario + Rabbids: Galaxy Battle <SLG> (Nintendo) {2022.12.02} (¥5.980) - 25.727 / 71.900 (+71%)
07./07. [NSW] Dragon Quest Treasures # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2022.12.09} (¥7.264) - 23.097 / 198.403 (-27%)
08./11. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 22.148 / 5.065.191 (+76%)
09./14. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars <ETC> (Nintendo) {2021.10.29} (¥5.980) - 22.001 / 1.114.132 (+96%)
10./19. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! <TBL> (Konami) {2020.11.19} (¥6.300) - 20.426 / 2.782.933 (+119%)

Top 10

NSW - 10

HARDWARE

D9El8UP.jpg

Last edited:
PS5 doing great.

I’m starting to think Series consoles were indeed over estimated by Famitsu…and they are now similar to Media Create.
Yeah really good PS5 numbers over the last 2 weeks which has pushed it to 1.15 million for 2022 versus 968k for 2021, an increase of about 185k (17%) year over year. With supply improving could it do over 1.5 million in 2023?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah really good PS5 numbers over the last 2 weeks which has pushed it to 1.15 million for 2022 versus 968k for 2021, an increase of about 185k (17%) year over year. With supply improving could it do over 1.5 million in 2023?

Hopefully so. And with the one PS5 combined console coming out next year too, I hope the average cost of the PS5 goes down too. 1.5 million should be a lock.

If sony can keep up these numbers they’ll pass PS4 again in a few months. Hopefully Jimbo was right about providing more stock in Japan, too many big games coming out

Saber

Gold Member
Current sales of Pokémon S/V is a testament of its quality.

No. Its just pokemon, nothing else. Didn't try to push any bondaries or anything. Is just the samey old "new pokemons + new gimmicks", painted with a different color. Its just that people are so deep in their consumism of pokemon that they don't notice(or don't care).

nial

Gold Member
Did MS ship out that pathetic number of units for Christmas or does no one really want to buy an Xbox? PS4 has been on the market for 9 years and still sells more.

It's really insane of how Pokémon S/V is going to outsell Elden Rings in less than 2 months on the worldwide market.
You are most likely going to be correct, Elden Ring is at 17.5 million as of 30th September. Lets say it sells another 2 million from Oct to Dec then that would mean 19.5 million and Pokemon S/V is going to be around 20 million or maybe 21 million..

Last edited:
Yes Phil better hurry the demand in Japan is crazy.

Considering that X was selling around 5,000 range when they had better stock earlier, and haven't been that high since, yes I would say relatively, it is, despite your knowledge lacking sarcasm.

It's right there in the chart for YTD, X would be way ahead of the S if it had the stock. This was always the case.

If they allocated more stock Series would have passed Xbox 1 LTD in Japan months ago, and would be heading toward 3DO and 360 numbers right now.

Considering that X was selling around 5,000 range when they had better stock earlier, and haven't been that high since, yes I would say relatively, it is, despite your knowledge lacking sarcasm.

It's right there in the chart for YTD, X would be way ahead of the S if it had the stock. This was always the case.

If they allocated more stock Series would have passed Xbox 1 LTD in Japan months ago, and would be heading toward 3DO and 360 numbers right now.

The prevailing theory is that Famitsu numbers for series consoles have been wildly inflated most of this year and is just now being course corrected to align with the media create numbers as of a couple months ago. Odds are it was never selling as good as reported

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Pokemon still selling over 300k weekly? holy shit.

Splatoon 3 still selling extremely well in Japan. Seems it's about on par with Splatoon 2 in other areas though, so seems like a very Japan-centric game. I guess the weeb octopus vibe works best over there.

Nintendo diversifying the Switches with Lite and OLED is paying off. People are double-dipping different models left and right.

TLZ

Banned
There's no way Nintendo won't make a Switch 2 or something. It's just too successful
Yes but they gotta be careful not to stuff it up like they did after Wii with Wii U.

Even though the 3DS still sold well, it was also not as successful as the DS too.

The prevailing theory is that Famitsu numbers for series consoles have been wildly inflated most of this year and is just now being course corrected to align with the media create numbers as of a couple months ago. Odds are it was never selling as good as reported
So why don't we get Media Create numbers instead?

Last edited:
Yes but they gotta be careful not to stuff it up like they did after Wii with Wii U.

Even though the 3DS still sold well, it was also not as successful as the DS too.

So why don't we get Media Create numbers instead?

We do, they just dont get posted here

TLZ

Banned
Actually looking at Nintendo's hardware sales and it shows they never sell better with direct sequels.

SNES sold less than NES.
GBA sold less than GB.
3DS sold less than DS.
Wii U catastrophically less than Wii.

So I'm sure they look at these and know what to expect. Do they want to continue the same trend without change, sell well, but not better and play it safe for now? Do they go nuts, take risks and radicalize?

Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Kerotan

OH NY GOD WHAT A MONSTROUS WEEK FOR HARDWARE.

And the big winner this week is the ps5. PlayStation the only consoles trending up YOY. Incredible the ps4 up over 70 times YOY. At this rate of growth it will be the highest ever selling Japanese console in about 3 years but silly Sony Will probably discontinue it instead.

Two takes for me. Ps5 showing it clearly has demand similar to the ps3 and ps4 but stock just wasn't there.

2nd take. The ps4 was clearly in way higher demand last year then the number's suggested. People claimed the sales numbers reflected the market. Kerotan vindicated again.

People are saying the numbers were inflated but even if they weren't most Xbox sales in Japan were being shipped off to other Asian countries where it hadn't launched yet or hadn't any stock. There was never actually any serious Xbox demand in Japan.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Actually looking at Nintendo's hardware sales and it shows they never sell better with direct sequels.

SNES sold less than NES.
GBA sold less than GB.
3DS sold less than DS.

So I'm sure they look at these and know what to expect. Do they want to continue the same trend without change, sell well, but not better and play it safe for now? Do they go nuts, take risks and radicalize?

You forgot their best systems! The N64 and GameCube

Caio

NSW is taking weeks after weeks on that top 10 list.
Is the PS software sales that weak?
pokemon scarlet/violet are average games at best, and this tells a lot about japanese taste and gaming habit; Nintendo sells software mostly thanks to the hardware, the Switch, the quality of software is often average, I'm sorry if I might offend someone.

The life style of Japanese is in part responsible of the decline of the true Home Console gaming...their games are not better than Sony, to say the least...

pokemon scarlet/violet are average games at best, and this tells a lot about japanese taste and gaming habit; Nintendo sells software mostly thanks to the hardware, the Switch, the quality of software is often average, I'm sorry if I might offend someone.

The life style of Japanese is in part responsible of the decline of the true Home Console gaming...their games are not better than Sony, to say the least...

There are better japanese games released they just don’t have a lot of mindshare, even on the switch. Stuff like Xenoblade and Bayonetta just released since summer and they are no where to be seen on the charts.

Its a combination of the install base of the switch which is like 25 million+ in Japan and PS5 which is like a little over 2million. It doesn’t really take much for even just Nintendo’s evergreens to chart if even a small percentage of the fanbase starts buying the most popular games over the holidays. Switch is still way more reliant on physical sales also. It’s impossible to tell how the charts would look if digital sales were included, xbox might even make it into the top 30 some weeks.

Last edited:
People are saying the numbers were inflated but even if they weren't most Xbox sales in Japan were being shipped off to other Asian countries where it hadn't launched yet or hadn't any stock. There was never actually any serious Xbox demand in Japan.

"people", no the issue with stock outside Japan is primarily a PS5 problem, this isn't a Xbox problem, especially given Gamepass is one of the drivers there and would actually be instrumental based on sub on user location.

Xbox is shipping as much Series X stock in Japan as any other Asia country in regards to being low, Sony is doing the reverse and will be sending more stock.

The S itself is also at times out of stock, but MS is able to send more S to japan than they are able to send the X, yet the X has sold YTD according to that chart, or the MC chart, a very close amount of the same amount of consoles for 2022, so regardless it's clear the X would be notably farther than the Series S is the X had stock in japan.

There's also this issue where people have a problem with Xbox Series relative demand, which still isn't as high as Sony's even with a bunch of units leaving the country, no one is saying that, but in both measurements Xbox has a strong chance of passing OG Xbox sales in the region within the next month. For Xbox, that's impressive.

Which is irrelevant, and you also contradict your own post by saying Famitsu has realigned itself but none of that matters.

Both have the Series consoles beating OG Xbox within the next month give or take, and both had Series X and Series S close together YTD, so it doesn't change the issue that if MS had more X to stock in Japan and S would be behind. That was the point, MS is having issues allocating the X still, at the end of 2022, and this goes for some other countries as well, and it's only started improving recently in the US, until November, and now outside of a shipment for December it'll probably be low stock in many parts of the US/UK until slow season.

SNES sold less than NES.
GBA sold less than GB.
3DS sold less than DS.

GBA sold more than the GBC, and is one of the reasons along with low software sales on the GBC that Nintendo combined it with the GB to inflate numbers.

Wii is also a sequel to the Gamecube, in fact, you could arguably call it a Gamecube that worked out at the gym without washing it's hair (image quality) and build some muscles.

TLZ

Banned
GBA sold more than the GBC, and is one of the reasons along with low software sales on the GBC that Nintendo combined it with the GB to inflate numbers.

Wii is also a sequel to the Gamecube, in fact, you could arguably call it a Gamecube that worked out at the gym without washing it's hair (image quality) and build some muscles.
I was meaning more about sequels of very successful ones. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

There are better japanese games released they just don’t have a lot of mindshare, even on the switch. Stuff like Xenoblade and Bayonetta just released since summer and they are no where to be seen on the charts.

Its a combination of the install base of the switch which is like 25 million+ in Japan and PS5 which is like a little over 2million. It doesn’t really take much for even just Nintendo’s evergreens to chart if even a small percentage of the fanbase starts buying the most popular games over the holidays. Switch is still way more reliant on physical sales also. It’s impossible to tell how the charts would look if digital sales were included, xbox might even make it into the top 30 some weeks.
I think the issue is that the Switch is becoming a machine entirely for playing Nintendo games and Nintendo games only, and I don't know what that is going to end up doing to third parties in the long run because of the lopsided console sales - people are being conditioned that console games = Nintendo. Literally the top 20 Switch games worldwide in terms of sales are all Nintendo games. Mario Kart 8 alone sold over 6 times more than the highest selling third party game - and Mario Kart is still charting. There are 27 million Switches in Japan yet Crisis Core sells 6k higher on the PS5? And the PS4 outsells the Switch version too? I'm sorry but I don't care about where the brand is popular or whatever, that should simply not be possible.

"people", no the issue with stock outside Japan is primarily a PS5 problem, this isn't a Xbox problem, especially given Gamepass is one of the drivers there and would actually be instrumental based on sub on user location.

Xbox is shipping as much Series X stock in Japan as any other Asia country in regards to being low, Sony is doing the reverse and will be sending more stock.

The S itself is also at times out of stock, but MS is able to send more S to japan than they are able to send the X, yet the X has sold YTD according to that chart, or the MC chart, a very close amount of the same amount of consoles for 2022, so regardless it's clear the X would be notably farther than the Series S is the X had stock in japan.

There's also this issue where people have a problem with Xbox Series relative demand, which still isn't as high as Sony's even with a bunch of units leaving the country, no one is saying that, but in both measurements Xbox has a strong chance of passing OG Xbox sales in the region within the next month. For Xbox, that's impressive.

Which is irrelevant, and you also contradict your own post by saying Famitsu has realigned itself but none of that matters.

Both have the Series consoles beating OG Xbox within the next month give or take, and both had Series X and Series S close together YTD, so it doesn't change the issue that if MS had more X to stock in Japan and S would be behind. That was the point, MS is having issues allocating the X still, at the end of 2022, and this goes for some other countries as well, and it's only started improving recently in the US, until November, and now outside of a shipment for December it'll probably be low stock in many parts of the US/UK until slow season.

I honestly dont even know what you’re talking about there is plenty of series S in stock in Japan right now. You can’t begin to blame stock issues on Microsoft only shipping triple digit amounts of series s and x to japan for the past month

I think the issue is that the Switch is becoming a machine entirely for playing Nintendo games and Nintendo games only, and I don't know what that is going to end up doing to third parties in the long run because of the lopsided console sales - people are being conditioned that console games = Nintendo. Literally the top 20 Switch games worldwide in terms of sales are all Nintendo games. Mario Kart 8 alone sold over 6 times more than the highest selling third party game - and Mario Kart is still charting. There are 27 million Switches in Japan yet Crisis Core sells 6k higher on the PS5? And the PS4 outsells the Switch version too? I'm sorry but I don't care about where the brand is popular or whatever, that should simply not be possible.

The thing is outside of pokemon and splatoon it feels like its mostly evergreen titles, like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash Bros, etc. It seems like the new big action games even the ones made by nintendo don’t hang around in the charts that long.

You got ring fit and luigi doing 12-14 million in sales and metroid and xenoblade still doing 2-3 million

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
There are 27 million Switches in Japan yet Crisis Core sells 6k higher on the PS5? And the PS4 outsells the Switch version too? I'm sorry but I don't care about where the brand is popular or whatever, that should simply not be possible.
Well, Final Fantasy is traditionally a Playstation thing, so it makes sense there are a lot of hardcore Final Fantasy fans with Playstation consoles.

Well, Final Fantasy is traditionally a Playstation thing, so it makes sense there are a lot of hardcore Final Fantasy fans with Playstation consoles.
There are fourteen times the number of Switch owners. There should be more people who own both a Playstation and Switch that bought the Switch version instead for the ~~~pOrTaBiliTy~~~.

Top Bottom