• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu sales week 34: Post Obon week and GOT Director's Cut opening.

Dabaus

Banned
Phantasy Star Online 2 idk bro but it ain't just Chinese scalpers lmao
So a port of an old game thats available on PC is a huge system seller for a completely dead platform but its beyond the realm of possibility for you that scalpers are taking advantage of console shortages worldwide, thus inflating hardware sales of a historically unpopular platform?

So a port of an old game thats available on PC is a huge system seller for a completely dead platform but its beyond the realm of possibility for you that scalpers are taking advantage of console shortages worldwide, thus inflating hardware sales of a historically unpopular platform?
I know you just want to rage, but PSO2 is not just a port. It's a new game. And PCs basically don't exist in Japan.

ethomaz

Banned
2021-08-26-20-28-14.jpg

By hiska-kun.

Last edited:

Interfectum

I think people are too quick to hand wave away this Xbox bump. There are mild signs of a pulse here and it will be interesting to see if that number continues to grow or if it dips back down into the low 100s.

Porcile

Does the size actually matter? When original Xbox came out everyone was saying things like “Japanese people have small homes and Xbox is too big”. But then PS3 was nearly identical in size to OG Xbox and Japanese gamers greatly preferred that over the much smaller Xbox 360 (which BTW also had a much better selection of Japanese games for the first couple years).

Fair points but I just mean the size isn't something that could be held against it as a potential negative and can actually be seen as a positive for the S.

ethomaz

Banned
What Japan looked like 20 years ago vs now

Week of 2001-08-20

zBchtfS.jpeg

Week of 2021-08-16

85OuR2A.jpeg

(Sensor Tower) Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle from Bandai Namco has surpassed $3 billion in global player spending

Japan ranks as the No. 1 revenue generating market for Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan battle to date, with the title generating $1.8 billion in the country or 60 percent of total player spending
Well there is no digital 20 years ago.
So the numbers are not like to like due the lack of digital for the actual ranking.

Said that the market today is more widen... more players like smartphones, etc no tracked by Famitsu compared with 20 years ago.
The console market is shrunk.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
aren't a lot of Japan sold consoles (PS5 I mean) are also shipped to china to be resold there? I remember this was the news on why not than many games are sold in comparison to number of consoles are sold.

There are still a lot of Japanese market consoles being sold in HK - according to one of my friends who is in the import/export business the demand from China is much smaller than it was because there is now an official China market SKU rather than being only available as a grey import. HK prices are still well over list though.

ethomaz

Banned
Damn didn't know it had that kind of system selling power in Japan.
I edited... I confused by the fact PS4 was launched in Feb in Japan (I counted the weeks from December lol).
Destiny indeed increase sales from sub 7k to over 20k for a week but that was in another moment.

The actual boost you asked:

15k to 68k.

Grand Theft Auto V PS4 release in Japan.

Last edited:
I edited... I confused by the fact PS4 was launched in Feb in Japan (I counted the weeks from December lol).
Destiny indeed increase sales from sub 7k to over 20k for a week but that was in another moment.

The actual boost you asked:

15k to 68k.

Grand Theft Auto V PS4 release in Japan.

Ok that makes a lot more sense given how popular the game is.

Witchilich

Im done arguing with astroturfers and paid for hire shills to troll message boards to boost a dying console brand. Enjoy your meaningless hollow victory of being outsold 2:1.
How ignorant can you be? New Genesis is a completely new next gen game. Its basically PSO3 but they want the PSO2 audience.

Woopah

What Japan looked like 20 years ago vs now

Week of 2001-08-20

zBchtfS.jpeg

Week of 2021-08-16

85OuR2A.jpeg

(Sensor Tower) Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle from Bandai Namco has surpassed $3 billion in global player spending

Japan ranks as the No. 1 revenue generating market for Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan battle to date, with the title generating $1.8 billion in the country or 60 percent of total player spending

It's really interesting seeing how the market changes over time. Obviously using a one week snapshot has its limitations, but it shows what franchises have legs today vs. which had legs 20 years ago. Plus which ones basically no longer exist (Hot Shots Golf, Golden Sun etc.)

Papacheeks

Banned
That OG Xbox love in Japan! ❤️ Tecmo and Sega keeping the dream alive back then. I remember new Tecmo and Sega releases would even debut in the Top 10 back then. There was even a decent sized Halo CE and Halo 2 community in Japan back then. The X360 had some traction, but then there was the dark days of shit management and the Xbox One.......

Back when Xbox had identity because of roots from Sega partnership. Now feels like it's just a pillar next to office 365.

Sony is starting to lose its identity in my opinion as well.

Papacheeks

Banned
I know you just want to rage, but PSO2 is not just a port. It's a new game. And PCs basically don't exist in Japan.

Dude E-sports is huge in Japan? There are literally Internet cafe's still in japan where they have gaming PC's you can rent time on. When it comes to computer electronics Japan is pretty big, hence why Japan in relation to cosumers is stil one of the top three regions. Get your head out of your ass.

Dude E-sports is huge in Japan? There are literally Internet cafe's still in japan where they have gaming PC's you can rent time on. When it comes to computer electronics Japan is pretty big, hence why Japan in relation to cosumers is stil one of the top three regions. Get your head out of your ass.
You're wrong. You might be mistaking Japan for China. PC gaming is tiny in Japan.

https://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

It's smaller than Poland or Australia lmao. This is with Japan being the 3rd biggest gaming market (after China and USA).

Papacheeks

Banned
You're wrong. You might be mistaking Japan for China. PC gaming is tiny in Japan.

https://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

It's smaller than Poland or Australia lmao. This is with Japan being the 3rd biggest gaming market (after China and USA).

Dude no one in Japan uses steam but they play things like Genshin, league of legends, they literally have E-sports cafe's. Also if you actually went to Japan you would see regular electronic stores all over have PC components as regular inventory. You do know there's a world for PC gaming outside of steam? Though not as large as it once was back in the 90's it still pretty big over in Japan. it's just no one uses steam over there. They play games that have their own launchers.

Dude no one in Japan uses steam but they play things like Genshin, league of legends, they literally have E-sports cafe's. Also if you actually went to Japan you would see regular electronic stores all over have PC components as regular inventory. You do know there's a world for PC gaming outside of steam? Though not as large as it once was back in the 90's it still pretty big over in Japan. it's just no one uses steam over there. They play games that have their own launchers.
You could say the same for China, yet China is still a big user of Steam.

Steam represents the PC market very well imo.

Papacheeks

Banned
You could say the same for China, yet China is still a big user of Steam.

Steam represents the PC market very well imo.

In specific markets it does. But when you have millions on LOL, PUBG, Fortnite.

In specific markets it does. But when you have millions on LOL, PUBG, Fortnite.

Idk what to tell you. Literally the same thing applies to China, yet China uses Steam a lot. The biggest PC games in China are not on Steam, but they still use Steam a lot because they're PC gamers.

Bodomism

Banned
Japan pc community is nowhere near China, Korea, SA, SEA, EU, CIS, and etc. Japan e-spot size is a joke in comparison.

Sea gaming cafe
img202003071629591932514043090526270-scaled.jpg

Japan cafe
15231463518_681ffbdb43_z1.jpg

Last edited:

reksveks

I am also going to add to this thread that a gaming cafe with set pc stations is very different to pc gaming where end users are buying their own pc.

I don't know how that impacts steam traffic.

TheTony316

I'm not surprised. Japan is a mobile/portable market. Traditional home consoles cap out at ~10-15 million units. I think only the PS2 managed to sell over 20 million. I don't agree with the Sony doom and gloom. I'm sure Playstation will continue to get most japanese games and sell close to PS3/4 numbers.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I'm not surprised. Japan is a mobile/portable market. Traditional home consoles cap out at ~10-15 million units. I think only the PS2 managed to sell over 20 million. I don't agree with the Sony doom and gloom. I'm sure Playstation will continue to get most japanese games and sell close to PS3/4 numbers.
I don't know about getting most Japanese games but I know they'll sell better there.

Woopah

It won't be apocalyptic and there are some overactions. In two years I believe the situation for Japan developed titles will be:

AAA titles - PS/XB/PC or PlayStation exclusive
Japan only titles - Switch exclusive
Everything else - PlayStation/Switch and in some cases PC and Xbox.

This won't account for every game but it will be the overall trend. Right now Namco is the main publisher not following this.

I don't know about getting most Japanese games but I know they'll sell better there.
The number of multiplats that sell better on PlayStation than Switch in Japan is going to be quite low.

Edit: Actually I might have misunderstood you there. What were you referring to with "sell better there"?

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
It won't be apocalyptic and there are some overactions. In two years I believe the situation for Japan developed titles will be:

This won't account for every game but it will be the overall trend. Right now Namco is the main publisher not following this.

The number of multiplats that sell better on PlayStation than Switch in Japan is going to be quite low.

Edit: Actually I might have misunderstood you there. What were you referring to with "sell better there"?
I meant like playstation vs Xbox. Like you said to the other guy.

TheTony316

Yeah pretty much.

I'm good as long as i get FF, Tales of, Persona, Yakuza/Judgment, DQ, Nier and some of the smaller stuff like Atelier and Trails.

Woopah

I meant like playstation vs Xbox. Like you said to the other guy.
Oh absolutely. Most Xbox games don't even get physical versions in Japan I don't think it's even possible for Xbox versions to outsell the PlayStation versions.

Yeah pretty much.

I'm good as long as i get FF, Tales of, Persona, Yakuza/Judgment, DQ, Nier and some of the smaller stuff like Atelier and Trails.
The only way any of those will miss PlayStation in the next few years is if Nintendo pays for exclusivity. And the only one I think they'd pay for is DQ.

Woopah

(Taiwan)
Media Create Sales Week 33, 2021 (16 Aug - 22 Aug)

01./00. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2021.08.20}
02./00. [PS5] Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2021.08.20}
03./01. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.31}
04./00. [NSW] Romancing SaGa 3 (Square Enix) {2021.08.19}
05./00. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Nintendo) {2021.02.12}

(South Korea)

01./00. [PS5] Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2021.08.20}
02./01. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18}
03./02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}
04./03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
05./00. [NSW] Buddy Mission Bond (Nintendo) {2021.08.20}

MrA

Banned
(Taiwan)

01./00. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2021.08.20}
02./00. [PS5] Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2021.08.20}
03./01. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.31}
04./00. [NSW] Romancing SaGa 3 (Square Enix) {2021.08.19}
05./00. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Nintendo) {2021.02.12}

(South Korea)

01./00. [PS5] Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2021.08.20}
02./01. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18}
03./02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}
04./03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
05./00. [NSW] Buddy Mission Bond (Nintendo) {2021.08.20}
sony and sucker punch certainly delivered with ghost of tsushima

Switch is much younger than Wii and DS's years on the market
and already has:

(2) 30 million plus selling games
(4) 20 million plus selling games
(5) 10 million plus selling games

In comparison

DS had:

(1) 30 million plus selling game
(2) 20 million plus selling games
(7) 10 million plus selling games

Wii had:

(4) 30 million plus selling games (all mass market console bundles, while none of Switch's are)
(3) 20 million sellers
(2) 10 million sellers

So relative to the Switch's age, it's on pace to surpass the Wii and DS's # of evergreens combined.

For a bit of fun i will try and make a realistic prediction for total Lifetime Nintendo Switch first party +10 million sellers

Current games

MK8DX - 55m
ACNH - 44m
SSBU - 35m
BOTW - 32m
SMO - 27m
PS&S - 26m
RFA - 22m
SMP - 21m
SM3DW+BF - 18m
NSMBUDX - 17m
LM3 - 15m
SPL2 - 15m
PLG - 15m
SMM2 - 11m

Upcoming games

BOTW2 - 24m
PLA - 20m
PD&P - 19m
MPSS - 16m
SPL3 - 14 m
MP4 - 10m

So i predict a total of:

(1) 50 million seller
(1) 40 million seller
(2) 30 million sellers
(6) 20 million sellers
(10) 10 million sellers

And yes i did go all in on Metroid Prime 4 selling 10m copies even though as of now the series best seller is Metroid Prime with just 2.82m. I believe Metroid Dread will cross 5m thanks to the hype and coverage that Metroid fans are spreading across social media, they are doing a great job promoting this game as if they are working for Nintendo's marketing department. This hype will ramp up even more for prime 4 resulting in explosive growth and sales of 10m, well i hope so and of course this depends on Dread and Prime 4 being high quality games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom